Calling All ILP Historians! (A Selfish Request from psyque)

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Calling All ILP Historians! (A Selfish Request from psyque)

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:41 pm

For those who know the REAL me, you know that I am too busy to return to this site with the same fervour I had a number of years ago when I last visited here. For those who know only the persona (my new name and the title of the Subject says it all), please don't waste my time with silliness. I'm asking this out of sheer curiosity with no other motive: I was recently wondering whatever happened to the people I used to engage on this site a number of years back; I've incorporated some of those experiences into my lectures and media appearances over the years and even reached out to Tab Rasa via Facebook a little while back--somehow his name popped up as someone I might know but he never responded to my message. But I never returned to this site until now because I realized just how easy it is to become consumed in mental masturbation and flame wars with people whom I don't even know and who, because of the nature of the net, are able to address me in ways they wouldn't be able to do in real life. If you think this post reads as arrogant, please get over it; I'm simply stating facts.

In any event, out of nostalgia, I was hoping to get an update on whatever happened to some of the main characters that used to populate this site maybe seven or eight years ago (I cannot remember when exactly I was last here). If any of them are still around and want to comment, please do. If anyone wishes to report on their latest or last activities on I.L.P., that would be greatly appreciated as well. As stated above, this is simply a request out of curiosity and nostalgia--nothing more. I am far too busy to engage in any silliness so please understand that I am not looking for anything beyond information. If anyone wants to PM me, please feel free to do so as well.

All the best,

psyque_just_briefly
psyque_just_briefly

Re: Calling All ILP Historians! (A Selfish Request from psyq

Postby SIATD v2 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 am

Hi Psyque, assuming you are the real psyque and not some witty imposter,

I'm back here again, having broken away from the site several times but always found a reason to get drawn back. I still have some fun here but it's also because there are a number of posters who've been here for years who I've always found interesting and want to at least get what the fuck it is they are on about. The most amusing recent episode was a Cuban Missile Crisis moment with the mods that resulted in Pav starting a thread asking if he should quit as a mod that degenerated into some extreme silliness very quickly.

You might say that nothing's changed.
It's like going to heaven and finding God smokin' crack!
Magsj wrote:I met a guy who abhorred all authority figures but he was lovely ergo.. the two can go together.
SIATD v2
One Man Pussy Riot

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:47 pm

SIATD v2 wrote:Hi Psyque, assuming you are the real psyque and not some witty imposter,

I'm back here again, having broken away from the site several times but always found a reason to get drawn back. I still have some fun here but it's also because there are a number of posters who've been here for years who I've always found interesting and want to at least get what the fuck it is they are on about. The most amusing recent episode was a Cuban Missile Crisis moment with the mods that resulted in Pav starting a thread asking if he should quit as a mod that degenerated into some extreme silliness very quickly.

Hi SIATD,

Yes, it is really I. It's funny but good to see you back here. I actually remember some of our more "interesting" exchanges quite vividly. Thank you for the update. I'm trying to recall if Pav is the globe-trotting entrepreneur who had a head shaped like an Eastern European (according to The Adler). Sadly, I do remember such details, whereas I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days, since I am back to my 100-hour work weeks and so any new information does not stick as well as things that I SHOULD have purged from my memory but which is still kicking around in there...Of course, if Pav is someone else, than I'm an idiot...
psyque_just_briefly

Postby Mainstream » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey psyque it's Gobbo.
You can find me at naturalworldorder.org/forum
My time here is done.
Mainstream
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:32 am

SIATD v2 wrote:Hi Psyque, assuming you are the real psyque and not some witty imposter,

Hi SIATD. Yes, it is I. I wrote a message earlier today but I don't see it posted--have I been "banned lite" already? I hope this message gets through; I will not re-write the entire post I had written in case it's going to show up later. If it doesn't, I'll write again. Thanks for responding--I remember you well...
psyque_just_briefly

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:15 am

Mainstream wrote:Hey psyque it's Gobbo.

Hey Gobbo,

How's my favourite fellow pot-smokin', ball-playin', conspiracy-proferrin' Canuck?
psyque_just_briefly

Postby tentative » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:19 am

Hi psyque,

There are few if any of the people you engaged with that many years ago. The internet is very convenient. Just a click of the mouse and it all disappears. That has been the pattern here. Some of us drift back now and again, but most just disappear into their real lfe - or find another hobby. SIATD had it pretty much right. I can't think of anyone who has been around consistently if at all, so I can't help you very much. Hope things are going swimmingly for you. Thanks for dropping in.
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
tentative

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 pm

tentative wrote:Hi psyque,

There are few if any of the people you engaged with that many years ago. The internet is very convenient. Just a click of the mouse and it all disappears. That has been the pattern here. Some of us drift back now and again, but most just disappear into their real lfe - or find another hobby. SIATD had it pretty much right. I can't think of anyone who has been around consistently if at all, so I can't help you very much. Hope things are going swimmingly for you. Thanks for dropping in.

Thank you, tentative. I'm not going to write much b/c I've written several messages over the past few days and none of them has been posted. Here's hoping...
psyque_just_briefly

Postby Oughtist » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 am

This might be of interes to you psyque:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169817&hilit=ilp+legends
Things are apparent.
Oughtist
Para-philosopher

Postby Only_Humean » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:27 am

psyque_just_briefly wrote:Hi SIATD. Yes, it is I. I wrote a message earlier today but I don't see it posted--have I been "banned lite" already? I hope this message gets through; I will not re-write the entire post I had written in case it's going to show up later. If it doesn't, I'll write again. Thanks for responding--I remember you well...

Hi psyque, sorry for the delay. First five posts require mod approval, and we've been a bit short-staffed lately. But you've passed your five now, the rest of your posts will be visible straight away.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:20 am

Only_Humean wrote:
psyque_just_briefly wrote:Hi SIATD. Yes, it is I. I wrote a message earlier today but I don't see it posted--have I been "banned lite" already? I hope this message gets through; I will not re-write the entire post I had written in case it's going to show up later. If it doesn't, I'll write again. Thanks for responding--I remember you well...

Hi psyque, sorry for the delay. First five posts require mod approval, and we've been a bit short-staffed lately. But you've passed your five now, the rest of your posts will be visible straight away.

Thank you for explaining that, only_humean. I shall now respond freely (but appropriately--don't worry!)
psyque_just_briefly

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:47 am

tentative wrote:Hi psyque,

Now that I know my responses will be posted, I will thank you properly, tentative. I'll also peruse the site a bit to see if a few old-schoolers have returned for nostalgia's sake.
psyque_just_briefly

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:49 am

Oughtist wrote:This might be of interes to you psyque:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169817&hilit=ilp+legends

Thank you, oughtist. Great link! It gives a good retrospective of the people I remember (many of them at least). I literally laughed out loud when I saw the impression that I happened to leave.
psyque_just_briefly

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:34 pm

I appreciate the feedback that various people have provided. Would anyone of these people--or others--be able to give me a line on either Shyster or Tab? I had both of them in my Email lists years ago but Email accounts come and go, unfortunately...Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I checked out the thread in the Psychology and Mind section (natch) dealing with Pedophilia and the DSM-5, since those are issues I speak about in class and in the media regularly. I soon received a stark reminder about why I had to avoid these kinds of forums in the first place: Notwithstanding the great potential to debate or share ideas with incredibly intelligent, insightful, creative, articulate etc. individuals, these kinds of sites can lead to hours upon hours of fruitless discussion with people who are not capable of modifying their positions no matter what. Rigidity truly is the antithesis of any discourse--or mental health...
psyque_just_briefly

Postby dfhsdhd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 am

psyque_just_briefly wrote:Psychology and Mind section (natch) dealing with Pedophilia and the DSM-5 ...people who are not capable of modifying their positions no matter what. Rigidity truly is the antithesis of any discourse--or mental health...

Hmm... How true, how true...

That's called "projection" when you do that: disowning our own traits onto another.

since those are issues I speak about in class and in the media regularly

That's called 'one-upping' in NVC. In philosophy-speak it's called "argument from authority". In colloquial language it's called 'putting on airs', it's done to try to conceal an insecurity... such as if someone doesn't really have much insight about an issue they pretend to be open-minded and well informed about. Hmm...
dfhsdhd

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:28 am

I'm not really an ILP historian, but I've been here for a good while. Pretty much just talking about smoking weed until someone says something that's just too easy to attack. Then I just go back to talking about drugs again. Yeah, that's about it.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Mainstream » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 am

psyque_just_briefly wrote:

Hey Gobbo,

How's my favourite fellow pot-smokin', ball-playin', conspiracy-proferrin' Canuck?

Good :)
You can find me at naturalworldorder.org/forum
My time here is done.
Mainstream
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby SIATD v2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi SIATD,

Yes, it is really I. It's funny but good to see you back here. I actually remember some of our more "interesting" exchanges quite vividly. Thank you for the update. I'm trying to recall if Pav is the globe-trotting entrepreneur who had a head shaped like an Eastern European (according to The Adler). Sadly, I do remember such details, whereas I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days, since I am back to my 100-hour work weeks and so any new information does not stick as well as things that I SHOULD have purged from my memory but which is still kicking around in there...Of course, if Pav is someone else, than I'm an idiot...

Pav is PavlovianModel146, the mod of the Social Sciences forum and he's a quite stationary hotel manager from what I know. I've got no idea who the person is that you're thinking of, but then I never paid much attention in phrenology class. You are a lot of things, but an idiot is not one of them. For what it is worth I look back on your verbal assault on me with some fondness, and thank you for it. I am a much happier person now than I was then.

Tab is still about occasionally on ILP, and I imagine you can contact him via his blog at:
http://writeitorbust.blogspot.co.uk/
Magsj wrote:I met a guy who abhorred all authority figures but he was lovely ergo.. the two can go together.
SIATD v2
One Man Pussy Riot

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Mainstream wrote:

Hey Gobbo,

Good :)

Good to see that, Gobbo. And I appreciate the irony in your new name...
psyque_just_briefly

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Smears wrote:I'm not really an ILP historian, but I've been here for a good while. Pretty much just talking about smoking weed until someone says something that's just too easy to attack. Then I just go back to talking about drugs again. Yeah, that's about it.

Hmmm...I do remember the name but I'm trying to remember why I would remember you in particular. The weed smoking was more a Gobbo thing--not that it's not common among many people, but it was "his" thing on ILP....I'll have to infer that we didn't have any memorable run-ins--which is probably a good thing... :wink:
psyque_just_briefly

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 pm

SIATD v2 wrote:Pav is PavlovianModel146, the mod of the Social Sciences forum and he's a quite stationary hotel manager from what I know. I've got no idea who the person is that you're thinking of, but then I never paid much attention in phrenology class. You are a lot of things, but an idiot is not one of them. For what it is worth I look back on your verbal assault on me with some fondness, and thank you for it. I am a much happier person now than I was then.

Tab is still about occasionally on ILP, and I imagine you can contact him via his blog at:
http://writeitorbust.blogspot.co.uk/

Thank you for the lead, SIATD. I guess I don't know Pav. The guy I was talking about was maybe Romanian? The Adler once commented on the shape of his head from one of the many pix he posted, stating it looked Eastern European. The one I'm thinking about went to Mexico and showed a bunch of pix from his travels. He may have had a hot companion but I can't remember if they were platonic. And there was a picture of him trying to skate somewhere in the US. Oh, and I think he often wore a tight suit to cover his slim/gangly frame. Seriously, I can't remember what I had for breakfast three days ago but some of the crap that still bounces around in my brain is scary...scary and sad...

As for our "history," I have some fond memories as well. One thing I remember is I once used "actually" to preface something I was about to say in the process of contradicting you; you claimed that people tend to say "actually" before they are about to tell a falsehood (or something like that). I rolled my eyes because you were wrong in certain contexts--namely, when it represents a kind of mannerism when one is about to correct, contradict or put someone down. However, it did stick with me and yes, when people are about to lie when I interview/assess them, they do often say "actually"--along with a bunch of other "tells." Again, the things I remember...

Oh, and I'm not sure if you were the one who said this (I know someone else who did but when I heard her say it, I knew I had heard it before), but I think long ago someone on this site mentioned a great "subtle" insult: "You are as smart as you are handsome/beautiful." With that in mind, I smiled at the unintentional or intentional meaning behind "I am a much happier person now than I was then"--i.e., when you and I were embroiled in silliness... =D> No, I'm not being paranoid...I just thought it would have been a clever way of poking at me...
psyque_just_briefly

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:08 pm

dfhsdhd wrote:
psyque_just_briefly wrote:Psychology and Mind section (natch) dealing with Pedophilia and the DSM-5 ...people who are not capable of modifying their positions no matter what. Rigidity truly is the antithesis of any discourse--or mental health...

Hmm... How true, how true...

That's called "projection" when you do that: disowning our own traits onto another.

since those are issues I speak about in class and in the media regularly

That's called 'one-upping' in NVC. In philosophy-speak it's called "argument from authority". In colloquial language it's called 'putting on airs', it's done to try to conceal an insecurity... such as if someone doesn't really have much insight about an issue they pretend to be open-minded and well informed about. Hmm...

You can use all the labels as you want, dfetc. I don't know how old you are but I've seen the same strategy since the advent of the internet and BBS sites many years ago--whoops, I'm implying an argument from authority by making an allusion to my age...oy...; and of course, philosophers have been playing that game since long before I ever set foot on this earth. And of course, the oldest trick in the layperson's book is to borrow from the realm of psychology and to use "projection" a la "I know you are but what am I?"

Yes, all these terms can be applied and, in some cases, they accurately describe someone's behaviours. However, in real life--which is the place I prefer to inhabit most of the time, dfetc--one can make such assertions to show, for instance, that he--in this case, I--has made certain statements repeatedly in public, meaning that they could be scrutinized by many thousands/millions(?) of people, including my colleagues. Hence, if I am wrong in some way, they can challenge me as my name is obviously known to my students and it's flashed on the screen or mentioned on the radio several times whenever I'm speaking publicly; to me, that is a far better test of my credibility than some random/anonymous online pedophile or pedophile advocate. Of course, you would not know that this is the main reason I mention my history of making such statements publicly, so I'll forgive you this one time. And yes, I know how my forgiveness comes across here. That is intentional and is directed at only you, no one else. So call it what you will and call my actions whatever else you want. That is a game that I do not play any more. Please re-read my post about rigidity to understand why that is. And if you wish to continue your mental masturbation, please find another partner because I will not engage with you further, as you saw in the DSM/pedophile thread (aside from a little crack I couldn't resist).
psyque_just_briefly

Postby SIATD v2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 pm

psyque_just_briefly wrote:Thank you for the lead, SIATD. I guess I don't know Pav. The guy I was talking about was maybe Romanian? The Adler once commented on the shape of his head from one of the many pix he posted, stating it looked Eastern European. The one I'm thinking about went to Mexico and showed a bunch of pix from his travels. He may have had a hot companion but I can't remember if they were platonic. And there was a picture of him trying to skate somewhere in the US. Oh, and I think he often wore a tight suit to cover his slim/gangly frame. Seriously, I can't remember what I had for breakfast three days ago but some of the crap that still bounces around in my brain is scary...scary and sad...

Are you thinking of zenofeller?

As for our "history," I have some fond memories as well. One thing I remember is I once used "actually" to preface something I was about to say in the process of contradicting you; you claimed that people tend to say "actually" before they are about to tell a falsehood (or something like that). I rolled my eyes because you were wrong in certain contexts--namely, when it represents a kind of mannerism when one is about to correct, contradict or put someone down. However, it did stick with me and yes, when people are about to lie when I interview/assess them, they do often say "actually"--along with a bunch of other "tells." Again, the things I remember...

Actually, there was an advert on TV in this country years ago, I can't remember the product, that pointed this out to me when I was young. I was simply recycling a bit of pop psychology that had been fed to me in order to make me feel better about buying something. Obviously it stuck with me for a while before I used as part of my insurgent reaction to your incursion. And that's 'actually' in the sense of 'actually' rather than in the sense of 'I'm playing for time to figure out how to lie my way out of your question'.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you were the one who said this (I know someone else who did but when I heard her say it, I knew I had heard it before), but I think long ago someone on this site mentioned a great "subtle" insult: "You are as smart as you are handsome/beautiful." With that in mind, I smiled at the unintentional or intentional meaning behind "I am a much happier person now than I was then"--i.e., when you and I were embroiled in silliness... =D> No, I'm not being paranoid...I just thought it would have been a clever way of poking at me...

That does sound like the sort of thing I would have said, though again if I did say it I'm sure I picked it up somewhere else. I certainly did not intend the meaning behind being happier, I just meant that I am happier, and I'm sure you helped me learn a few things about myself in amongst the silliness.
SIATD v2
One Man Pussy Riot

Postby dfhsdhd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm

psyque_just_briefly wrote:However, in real life--which is the place I prefer to inhabit most of the time

I'm telling myself maybe you are confusing which is really real between "the illusion" and "the desert of the real"?

Too bad you allow yourself to become triggered by this subject that needs patience and compassion to enter; you're missing such great discussion where someone of your expertise's insight would be so valuable,

A paradigm shift in attitudes toward pedophilia is happening now? The old positions were entrenched and polarized; at one end were emotionally charged mob reactions like 'he should be castrated' or even 'he should be hung', while at the other end were observations such as those by academic Arne Fred...
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=180334&p=2347650#p2347650

Foucault's response was that, "[t]his notion of consent is a trap". That's because contractualism is something that happens on the level of egoic consciousness: the capitalopatriarchy; whereas, what is true i...
    viewtopic.php?f=15&t=180334&p=2348137#p2348137
dfhsdhd

Postby psyque_just_briefly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:27 pm

SIATD v2 wrote:Are you thinking of zenofeller?

I think that's the one. Thank you!

Actually, there was an advert on TV in this country years ago, I can't remember the product, that pointed this out to me when I was young. I was simply recycling a bit of pop psychology that had been fed to me in order to make me feel better about buying something. Obviously it stuck with me for a while before I used as part of my insurgent reaction to your incursion. And that's 'actually' in the sense of 'actually' rather than in the sense of 'I'm playing for time to figure out how to lie my way out of your question'.

I "actually" get everything you're saying here... :)

That does sound like the sort of thing I would have said, though again if I did say it I'm sure I picked it up somewhere else. I certainly did not intend the meaning behind being happier, I just meant that I am happier, and I'm sure you helped me learn a few things about myself in amongst the silliness.

It's actually a great line (now I'm obsessed with the darn word...). I used it a number of times and it's interesting that only certain people seem to pick up on the potential insult behind it. But to be fair to them, if said with supposed sincerity, there's no reason to infer anything negative about it--so I would add a tiny bit of inflection to make the irony or sarcasm more noticeable; but since I try not to be a jerk in real life, I never said it to someone I actua...errr...genuinely thought was not attractive or intelligent...

As for your statement, I did truly interpret it in a positive manner. And truth be told, I learned a lot about myself during my initial time on ILP and I really hope it helped me grow as a person. It did certainly show me how obsessed I could become when trying to prove a point. It also revealed to me how powerful the defence mechanism of rationalization can be, at least in my case...
psyque_just_briefly

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat