What are you doing?

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: What are you doing?

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:51 am

origami wrote:But also let's not forget Budism. The third leg in this homogenization story.

I don’t think Buddhism that important, in religious terms.. it’s more a lifestyle than an ideology, in my eyes.

Those that weren’t born Sindhu/not of India, adopted Buddhism (and Jainism or Zoastronism etc.) instead.. coz if you ain’t in any Gotras, you ain’t coming in.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:56 am

origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:To be fair, men were pretty barbaric already. They were just less interested in erasing their enemy's past.

Lol
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:58 am

origami wrote:And then, of course, communism. The ultimate homogenizationizer.

At least Islam, Christianity and Budism only demand you worship their God and follow certain rules and customs. Communism demands you become a specific type of person down to the very last detail, down to your very mind.

To be continued..

MagsJ

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:06 am

MagsJ wrote:
origami wrote:But also let's not forget Budism. The third leg in this homogenization story.

I don’t think Buddhism that important, in religious terms.. it’s more a lifestyle than an ideology, in my eyes.

Those that weren’t born Sindhu/not of India, adopted Buddhism (and Jainism or Zoastronism etc.) instead.. coz if you ain’t in any Gotras, you ain’t coming in.

In your eyes. But in the eyes of some emperors with very large armies, much like Islam and Christianity on our side of the globe, it was something else entirely.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:16 am

origami wrote:In your eyes. But in the eyes of some emperors with very large armies, much like Islam and Christianity on our side of the globe, it was something else entirely.

Yea.. coz they were invading Nations, so not of South-Asian origin, so could never be a S(H)indu.. hence having to create/adopt a religion.. tho S(H)indus can and sometimes do, convert to a religion.

MagsJ

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:19 am

Yeah, but what I mean is that Budism was also spread by the sword, and came with a homogenization much like Christianity's or Islam's.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:26 am

origami wrote:
origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:..anyway, religion should be by inheritance, not forced conversion.. that’s how I acquired mine, and I quite like them.. I’d rather be none, than any other.

It's funny, I feel the same way.

Even as I say this, as I look around the world to the different peoples Christianity was imposed on, and the feeling of brotherhood I have with them when we have nothing else in common, well... One can't say that one sees no justice in the imperial instinct.

It's just a nostalgia thing though. I am more bothered by the idea of other religions being lost than by the idea of mine no longer being imposed.

It's funny though because I don't feel that brotherhood at all with protestants hahahaha. Maybe Mormons a bit because they modeled theirs pretty closely after Catholicism. But on the whole, I feel much more kinship with people of entirely different religions than with protestants.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:29 am

But Mormons aren't protestants really if you think about it. Unlike Protestant churches, they never claim to be the true Catholic religion, they never went after the Pope if you will. They just started a whole new thing.

It's like Cahtolicism isn't a Jewish Protestantism. They add to the story, make a new religion.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:30 am

I also like Quakers. I don't know why.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:26 am

MagsJ wrote:

I used to think the same thing. And I think Catholics particularly are susceptible to that opinion. But one day my sister came back from a trip to central Asia and she actually yelled at me for saying that. She had seen the actuality of Budism in those parts, that it was a war religion, that it was a suppressive religion, and that genocides were involved.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:20 pm

origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:I don’t think Buddhism that important, in religious terms.. it’s more a lifestyle than an ideology, in my eyes.

I used to think the same thing. And I think Catholics particularly are susceptible to that opinion. But one day my sister came back from a trip to central Asia and she actually yelled at me for saying that. She had seen the actuality of Budism in those parts, that it was a war religion, that it was a suppressive religion, and that genocides were involved.

Who has been/is behind, that agenda.. considering it’s not a religion, and no one sect has authority over it?

Can’t say I know much about the spread of Buddhism, save for about its beginnings and current influence.
Last edited by MagsJ on Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagsJ

Postby mannequin01 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:13 pm

Going to do a bit of photo editing in a bit. My niece wants me to blow up a photo of her for her birthday next Monday...

In other news, I'm becoming a monster, i should probably surround myself with beautiful things to drown out the crying screams of the damned.
mannequin01

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:49 pm

MagsJ wrote:
origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:I don’t think Buddhism that important, in religious terms.. it’s more a lifestyle than an ideology, in my eyes.

Who has been/is behind, that agenda.. considering it’s not a religion, and no one sect has authority over it?

Can’t say I know much about the spread of Buddhism, save for about its beginnings and current influence.

Then you might want to reserve judgement.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:08 pm

_
I’d say I still know enough -in how Buddhism has shaped the modern landscape- to hold my judgement on it.. religion = any excuse to start clan and territory wars.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:04 pm

_
..tidying my pad, in a steady onslaught of doing, in an effort to get it all eventually done.

MagsJ

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:07 am

another guy i grew up with got shot and killed yesterday. that makes 2 in the last month or so. 1 got shot by his own dad, this one got shot like a dozen times and they arrested the shooter but haven't given a motive yet or anything. crazy stuff.
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:49 am

origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:You and Fixed?

The very two. It was actually a transformative moment in my life, because before then I pretty much thought that being antinazi was basically the overwhelming status quo.

Perhaps the thinking goes.. as long as they aren’t hurting/personally-attacking anyone, they’re entitled to their views.. in a free-speech kinda way.

origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Any speech/debate that stops short of hate, should be permissible on a discussion platform.. but yea, many were warned and banned for far far less than that. Not by me, I might add. ;)

I disagreed with you often, and disagree with the criteria you offer now, but it is a sane criteria and you always applied it sanely and fairly.

They’re all probably on 4 chan.. or some other such stringent-less platform.

origami wrote:Others made the mistake of thinking their feelings were an objective criteria, and just banned whoever disagreed with them while thinking they were simply banning people committing obvious fallacies.

That’s exactly how it was.. if those quality posters hadn’t been banned or reluctantly left, ILP would have evolved into a completely different place, than it currently is.

A case of who was moderating the moderators?

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:56 am

_
..waiting for my vegetable box to arrive, so that I can wrap my [keto] double-[camembert]cheeseburger in the cos lettuce, I ordered.. topped with caramelised red onions and a herb relish.

MagsJ

Postby origami » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:10 pm

Goddamnit that sounds delicious.

MagsJ wrote:A case of who was moderating the moderators?

People that never faced serious adversity should never be put in positions of power. I think it was more a case of that.

I simultaneously want to drink coffee, sleep, take a long walk, keep working and stop working.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:41 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
..waiting for my vegetable box to arrive, so that I can wrap my [keto] double-[camembert]cheeseburger in the cos lettuce, I ordered.. topped with caramelised red onions and a herb relish.

I'm killing time with some coffee until I eat my OMAD, which is a ribeye steak (now marinating in salt and pepper), which I shall flash and dice to put on top of my special homemade coleslaw.

Red Cabbage, Carrots, White onion, turmeric powder, lemon juice, seasoning, olive oil, chia seeds, crushed mixed nuts and Hellman's Mayonnaise.

The one thing I see as bad is the oil that Hellman's use to make the Mayo
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:13 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:another guy i grew up with got shot and killed yesterday. that makes 2 in the last month or so. 1 got shot by his own dad, this one got shot like a dozen times and they arrested the shooter but haven't given a motive yet or anything. crazy stuff.

I’m sorry for your loss.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:15 pm

origami wrote:Goddamnit that sounds delicious.

..it will be.. when I get to eat it.. still waiting on the veg-box delivery.. a different driver than previously, so running late.. I guess I can wait.

MagsJ wrote:A case of who was moderating the moderators?

People that never faced serious adversity should never be put in positions of power. I think it was more a case of that.

..could be a possibility.

I simultaneously want to drink coffee, sleep, take a long walk, keep working and stop working.

Haha!

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:43 pm

_
..it’s arrived!

Burger time.. changed it to [camembert]cheeseburger, topped with diced radish and coriander, in a cos lettuce wrap.

Might have the second one, a bit later on. :P

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:58 pm

_
New additions, for my workout.. arriving tomorrow.

2D035F0D-3FD9-43B7-8DD6-0FBC0A04CA4F.jpeg
2D035F0D-3FD9-43B7-8DD6-0FBC0A04CA4F.jpeg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 59 times

The cheeseburger is good.

____
..arriving on Tuesday.. should last the month.

5DE08956-D9EE-481D-8CAD-5BE18B91CA07.jpeg
5DE08956-D9EE-481D-8CAD-5BE18B91CA07.jpeg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 57 times

MagsJ

Postby mannequin01 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:26 pm

I'm leaning out fast! Should be ripped up in a few weeks! Been on a strict keto for a week now, and boy does it work, holy crap son of Mary!...

i might post some progress pics soon.

I saw some people i knew at the gym today and it was awkward! One came Upto me talking about my brother, just making small talk... It kinda messed up mental vibe! As I'm extremely antisocial.. Put me on edge a little... I don't have that casual flow that they have, I'm off Standish and too weird for communication.
mannequin01

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat