a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:11 pm

Nein

Don’t worry. There’s always enough disappointment for everyone.

You know, if that's something you worry about.

Yes, German words are too long.

Not all of them. 8)

A gentle reminder from March. Every month is the cruelest.

Next up: a gentle reminder from 2020.

Spring is in the air. Please: wear a mask.

At least until the Summer?

Montag: der Tag ohne Ende.
Dienstag: der Tag ohne Eigenschaften.
Mittwoch: der Tag ohne Tag.

Let's pin down Donnerstag.

Yes, spring is coming. Please don’t tell the poets.

Let's tell them anyway. And see what happens.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:15 pm

Vilfredo Pareto

It is a known fact that almost all revolutions have been the work, not of the common people, but of the aristocracy, and especially of the decayed part of the aristocracy.

Yo, Che?

Human behaviour reveals uniformities which constitute natural laws. If these uniformities did not exist, then there would be neither social science nor political economy, and even the study of history would largely be useless.

No doubting why Satyr loves this guy.

Above, far above the prejudices and passions of men soar the laws of nature. Eternal and immutable, they are the expression of the creative power they represent what is, what must be, what otherwise could not be. Man can come to understand the: he is incapable of changing them.

No doubting why Satyr loves this guy.

Society is not homogeneous, and those who do not deliberately close their eyes have to recognize that men differ greatly from one another from the physical, moral, and intellectual viewpoints.

And, nowadays, women and transgenders.

My wish is to construct a system of sociology on the model of celestial mechanics, physics, and chemistry.

Hell, who doesn't wish that.

Empirical laws have only slight or even no value beyond the limits within which they have been observed to be true.

Right, like that's a trivial observation.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:02 pm

Werner Twertzog

English departments are important for preventing Joyceans from hurting the general public, I am told.

Can you imagine if they weren't around!!

Dear God: Give me serenity.
And thirty-one million dollars.

Thirty-one million dollars?
Uh, pick one:
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... gle+Search

Coffee should not involve whipped cream or sweet syrups. It should be a black, bitter foretaste of the day that is to come.

And drunk right out of the pot.

Extroverts are happier because, as all introverts know, they are stupid.

Anyway, this introvert knows it.

Out of the crooked timber of humanity, there is no point even trying to make a decent chair.

Not counting recliners of course.

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s. Just remember that everything is Caesar’s.

Yo, God!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:48 pm

Emile Durkheim

Man is a moral being, only because he lives in society. Let all social life disappear and morality will disappear with it.

You know, historically, culturally and experientially.

Society is not a mere sum of individuals. Rather, the system formed by their association represents a specific reality which has its own characteristics... The group thinks, feels, and acts quite differently from the way in which its members would were they isolated. If, then, we begin with the individual, we shall be able to understand nothing of what takes place in the group.

You know, for all practical purposes.

We do not condemn it because it is a crime, but it is a crime because we condemn it.

In other words, just like they do.

When man discovered the mirror, he began to lose his soul.

Actually, he invented it. But point taken.

A mind that questions everything, unless strong enough to bear the weight of its ignorance, risks questioning itself and being engulfed in doubt.

Not to mention fractured and fragmented.

When mores are sufficient, laws are unnecessary. When mores are insufficient, laws are unenforceable.

Your context or mine?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:22 pm

Werner Twertzog

With great powerlessness comes great irresponsibility.

That's probably a good thing for the chickenshit assholes here.

It is important, for young people, to develop more resilience, so that they can survive longer working hours with lower wages, and chronic, untreated ailments, with no hope for a better future, thus maximizing corporate profits, and goodness, as we all know.

Well, not counting the dumb bastards who voted for that white dude Trump.

Defund the Illuminati.

If not behead them.

There is a nihilism gap in America. There are countless communities with little or no access to Nietzsche.

No way that can still be true, right?

We all get the power grid we deserve.

Remember the Alamo!

Nihilists will be busy this year.

True, but at least it's not a leap year.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:03 pm

Louise Bourgeois

A work of art doesn't have to be explained. If you do not have any feeling about this, I cannot explain it to you.

Not unlike your posts here?

I came from a family of repairers. The spider is a repairer. If you bash into the web of a spider, she doesn't get mad. She weaves and repairs it.

All genes, no memes, right?

I am a searcher...I always was...and I still am...searching for the missing piece.

What's that make me then, he wondered glumly.

An artist can show things that other people are terrified of expressing.

Like me, here?

The subject of pain is the business I am in - to give meaning and shape to frustration and suffering. The existence of pain cannot be denied. I propose no remedies or excuses.

I hear that.

Every day you have to abandon your past or accept it and then, if you cannot accept it, you become a sculptor.

But: some pasts being less past than others.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 pm

Existential Comics

We need to do philosophy so our brains don't become so filled with worms that we say things like "reality exists objectively, therefore we don't need philosophers to analyze social problems."

That in reaction to this from Richard Dawkins:

"Science is not a social construct. Science’s truths were true before there were societies; will still be true after all philosophers are dead; were true before any philosophers were born; were true before there were any minds, even trilobite or dinosaur minds, to notice them."

Too close to call?

Democrats are making it increasingly clear they remain the party of "we should have good guy billionaires in charge of everything".

No, really.

If a $15 minimum wage were put to a national vote it would win by a bigger landslide than any President since FDR. Unfortunately, we don't live in a democracy because our representatives only respond to the demands of capital, who do not like to pay workers more money.

No, really.

The billionaires who own the news have the millionaires who report it sit there and tell you with a straight face that you don't deserve $15 an hour.

No, really.

...the minimum wage should be $100 an hour and you should be legally allowed to punch your boss in the dick once per week...

Actually, I might not go this far myself.

My response to the people saying you should never celebration someone's death: "lmao shut the fuck up."

The right deaths especially.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:39 pm

Ernest Cline

No matter where you go, there you are.

And, for a few of us, then some.

Over the past five years, I’d worked my way down the entire recommended gunter reading list. Douglas Adams. Kurt Vonnegut. Neal Stephenson. Richard K. Morgan. Stephen King. Orson Scott Card. Terry Pratchett. Terry Brooks. Bester, Bradbury, Haldeman, Heinlein, Tolkien, Vance, Gibson, Gaiman, Sterling, Moorcock, Scalzi, Zelazny.

How about you?

These tiny creatures weren’t worth any experience points if you killed them. I’d checked.

Mostly Kids.

You’d be amazed how much research you can get done when you have no life whatsoever.

Either that or waiting for godot.

Like nearly every race of evil alien invaders in the history of science fiction, the Sobrukai were somehow technologically advanced enough to construct huge warships capable of crossing interstellar space, and yet still not smart enough to terraform a lifeless world to suit their needs, instead of going through the huge hassle of trying to conquer one that was already inhabited—especially one inhabited by billions of nuke-wielding apes who generally don’t cotton to strangers being on their land.

Hell, that could be Earth, right?

Surely, you must be joking, Aech said.
No, I am not joking. And don’t call me Shirley.

That one again.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:30 pm

Doth

Women are legally allowed to commit a little murder today

Still, just out of caution, try not to get caught.

Goth foreplay is reading to each other about the occult while secretly planning each other's murder.

Imagine then actually fucking.

Take a moment to apologize to your body for your brain’s bullshit.

Again in other words.

If you’re happy and you know it, that will pass.

You know, if you're doing it right.

I exist & unfortunately that is something I'm going to have to deal with the rest of my life.

Not to worry, it's perfectly normal.

Being able to avoid human interaction should be a basic human right.

Unless you count what we do here.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:51 pm

Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Work lovingly done is the secret of all order and all happiness.

His work, sure.

When I've painted a woman's bottom so that I want to touch it, then the painting is finished.

Can't argue with that, right?

I would never have taken up painting if women did not have breasts.

And bottoms.

The only reward one should offer an artist is to buy his work.

Or, here, our posts?

There are some things in painting which cannot be explained, and that something is essential.

Vaguely as it were.

Everybody has their reasons.

Even polishyouth and ecmandu.
Scary, isn't it?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Jan Mieszkowski

March 2020: Martin Heidegger/Being and Time
March 2021: Jean-Paul Sartre/Being and Nothingness

And getting more and more nothing all the time.

March 2020: Kierkegaard
March 2021: Schopenahuer

A leap of bad faith?

Facebook: It's Monday and I'm walking the dog!
Instagram: It's Monday and I'm having pizza for lunch!
Twitter: It's Monday, the void is ascendant, and my tortured soul vibrates with the horrors of undead hopes and dreams.

You know, the other Twitter.

Schopenhauer + Sartre as graffiti: "LIFE IS PAIN"

And then you die.

Sure sex is cool, but have you ever read something you've written and thought it was pretty good?

Repeatedly, for example.

Define ambiguity.

"The point of ambiguity is that it can't be defined."

This 12-year-old's test answer suggests that the middle schools are teaching too much
a) Derrida
b) Quine
c) Sade

Uh, Yes?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Louise Berliawsky Nevelson

Character is the architect of the being.

Uh-oh: genes or memes?

You know when I decided to become professional - that means to expose yourself naked to the world with the other creative minds - I said, 'I'm going into areas I don't know. I might just fall right down to hell and kill myself.

Any professionals here?

I feel totally female.

Not unlike any number of men.

I still want to do my work. I still want to do my livingness. And I have lived. I have been fulfilled. I recognized what I had, and I never sold it short. And I ain't through yet.

Well, she is, in fact, through. Unless, in fact, she's not.
As for the rest, point taken.

I think people should think a million times before they give birth.

Yo, Mom!

It is as hard to take success as it is failure.

I'll take that chance, he grumbled.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:27 pm

Dog dont use my fucking nickname or I will make you eat rocks coated in dog shit with wet mud you fuck.
Kvasirs Mexican gay lover(writing about a need of committing a genocide on 99 percent whites and all non-whites as a Mexican mestizo himself):
And if they are not good, what could be wrong with the genocidal fantasy in my ‘Dies Irae’, published in Day of Wrath, with a vindictive Star Child calling home 500 million Caucasoids (and of course, all non-whites, including Jews) to, ironically, make sure that Dave Lane’s words be fulfilled with the remaining Aryans?.
My step-dads schizophrenic diagnosis:
I see a disease taking over....I will not stay silent. I will do what I can, when I can.
If we do not stand then we shall fall....and the enemy will win.

Remember: the world will end, all there is that is left is to fly between Canada and Greece and have barbecues and drink vodka before you wake up at 40 and remember to have a son who will be 30 when you are 70 and whos children will be 20 when you are 90. paGAYn as fuck.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:03 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:Dog dont use my fucking nickname or I will make you eat rocks coated in dog shit with wet mud you fuck.

Yo, Jacob!

Learn from him. :lol:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 pm

God

No matter what you thought of Rush Limbaugh, you have to admit: he's dead.

You know, whatever that means.

Acquit him once, shame on you.
Acquit him twice, fuck you.

Like He had nothing to do with that.

You have the freedom to say something stupid and awful, but it's stupid and awful.

Or here: You have the freedom to rant something stupid and awful, but it's stupid and awful

Next time I'll just order a universe from Amazon.

Next up: Mastercard or Visa.

On one level, a person is innocent until proven guilty.
On a higher level, a person is innocent unless he did it.

A mere mortal thing let's call it.

I'm worried about "how dark" the British monarchy is turning out.

Think freshly fallen snow.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:07 pm

Kristin Hannah

Tante Isabelle says it’s better to be bold than meek. She says if you jump off a cliff at least you’ll fly before you fall.

And fall before you hit the ground.

If you’re going through hell, keep going.

You know, if that's an option.

I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.

On the other hand: https://youtu.be/Zf0ZyoUn7Vk
If you know what I mean.

Finding your passion isn't just about careers and money. It's about finding your authentic self. The one you've buried beneath other people's needs.

On the other hand: https://youtu.be/Zf0ZyoUn7Vk
If you know what I mean.

Thoughts - even fears - were airy things, formless until you made them solid with your voice and once given that weight, they could crush you.

Or the equivalent of that here.

You know what they say about finding a man in Alaska—the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

How about where you live?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:44 am

tiny nietzsche

my cat thinks his name is c'mere

Nope, sounds more like something a dog would fall for.

foucault the pain away

Well, if only the postmodern pain.

the insect awoke before dawn. it put its exoskeleton on

Or slept in it.

I wish I knew emergency yoga

Next up: emergency philosophy.

my beach body is ready for camus

Armor, head to toe.

I could have googled it, but I prefer to listen to your bullshit

I'd google it myself.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:38 pm

Ludwig Feuerbach

Man created God in his own image.

And, thus, dozens of them.

For the religious the holy is truth, for the philosophic the truth is holy.

And, thus, hundreds of them.

The task of the modern era was the realization and humanization of God – the transformation and dissolution of theology into anthropology.

Next up: the task of the postmodern era.
If there even is one anymore.

I have always taken as the standard of the mode of teaching and writing, not the abstract, particular, professional philosopher, but universal man, that I have regarded man as the criterion of truth, and not this or that founder of a system, and have from the first placed the highest excellence of the philosopher in this, that he abstains, both as a man and as an author, from the ostentation of philosophy, i. e., that he is a philosopher only in reality, not formally, that he is a quiet philosopher, not a loud and still less a brawling one.

We'll still need a context though.

Christianity has in fact long vanished, not only from the reason but also from the life of mankind, and it is nothing more than a fixed idea.

In other words, here we go again.

It is as clear as the sun and as evident as the day that there is no God and that there can be none.

Yo, Ierrellus!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:26 pm

tiny nietzsche

chuck todd is the chuck todd of chuck todds

I know: The horror! The horror!

goes to work
comes home
explodes

And, with any luck, only five days a week.

"I don't know who needs to hear this." john cage composing 4'33"

Sounds like a dare to me.

home depot sells shovels, but not coffins. dumb

Dumber still: no tombstones.

I get anxious when people want to talk about paintings instead of looking at them

And you know the equvialent of that here, right?

me: sartre or camus?
horse: I am a horse
me:
horse: camus

Or
me: sartre or camus?
snail: I am a snail
me:
snail: camus

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:35 pm

Napoleon Bonaparte

If you build an army of 100 lions and their leader is a dog, in any fight, the lions will die like a dog. But if you build an army of 100 dogs and their leader is a lion, all dogs will fight as a lion.

Any lions here?

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment.

True, but only all the way to the grave.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

So, sure, Kids, keep posting.

The best way to make every one poor is to insist on equality of wealth.

Something that the rich say. What they never say is that we should examine the political and economic relationship between the rich and the poor.

If you wish to be a success in the world, promise everything, deliver nothing.

What we call elections.

Courage isn't having the strength to go on - it is going on when you don't have strength.

Like that's even possible. But point taken.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:16 pm

tiny nietzsche

I tried to expand a picture in a magazine with my fingers and my brain is broken

Lesson learned.

my horoscope says try again later

Lord Saturn is napping.

insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and having a great time

Or, here, posting the same thing.

do ghosts shit in the attic?

Do ghosts shit?

don't believe everything you hear yourself saying

Or, for some, thinking.

"I know you are, but what am I?" descartes

The part they left out.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:39 pm

George Saunders

Vonnegut's war was necessary. And yet it was massacre and screaming and confusion and blood and death. It was the mammoth projection outward of the confused inner life of men. In war, the sad tidy constructs we make to help us believe life is orderly and controllable are roughly thrown aside like the delusions they are. In war, love is outed as an insane, insupportable emotion, a kind of luxury emotion, because everywhere you look, someone beloved to someone is being slaughtered, by someone whose own beloved has been slaughtered, or will be, or could be.

Next up: Vonnegut's peace.

What America is, to me, is a guy doesn't want to buy, you let him not buy, you respect his not buying. A guy has a crazy notion different from your crazy notion, you pat him on the back and say, Hey pal, nice crazy notion, let's go have a beer. America, to me, should be shouting all the time, a bunch of shouting voices, most of them wrong, some of them nuts, but please, not just one droning glamorous reasonable voice.

Right, like this can't be taken too far.

And that, against this: the king-types who would snatch the apple from your hand and claim to have grown it, even though what they had, had come to them intact, or been gained unfairly (the nature of that unfairness perhaps being just that they had been born stronger, more clever, more energetic than others), and who, having seized the apple, would eat it so proudly, they seemed to think that not only had they grown it, but had invented the very idea of fruit, too.

Well, He is God, right?

He was like the bed at a party on which they pile the coats.

Let's compete to explain this.

He came out of nothingness, took form, was loved, was always bound to return to nothingness.

Or not loved.

Down in the city are the nice houses and the so-so houses and the lovers making out in dark yards and the babies crying for their moms, and I wonder if, other than Jesus, has this ever happened before. Maybe it happens all the time. Maybe there's angry dead all over, hiding in rooms, covered with blankets, bossing around their scared, embarrassed relatives. Because how would we know?

Probably in a city near you.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:32 am

so sad today

i’m not lying to you, i’m lying to myself and sharing it

A fine distinction?

tired until it’s time to sleep

Repeat as necessary.

nothing good happens out of bed

Or, sure, your recliner.

my daily affirmations:
1. uh oh
2. oh no
3. oh shit
4. oh fuck
5. fuck no
6. hell no
7. oh hell no
8. noooo
9. fuck
10. fuuuck
11. no

You know, on a good day.

i like pics where you can’t see my body or face

Again, you tell me: https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... 66&bih=625

i always assume i’m totally fucked, just to be safe

Safe from what you might ask.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Annie Leibovitz

One doesn't stop seeing. One doesn't stop framing. It doesn't turn off and turn on. It's on all the time.

How could that not be...ghastly?

When I say I want to photograph someone, what it really means is that I'd like to know them.

On the other hand...

A photograph is just a tiny slice of a subject. A piece of them in a moment. It seems presumptuous to think you can get more than that.

And then there's what we do here.

A lot can be told from what happens in between the main moments.

We'll nee to know the moments first of course.

I'm more interested in being good than being famous.

Sure, it's possible she means it.

I'm pretty used to people not liking having their picture taken. I mean, if you do like to have your picture taken, I worry about you.

This makes sense only if you want it to.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:18 am

so sad today

no matter what i’m doing, there’s a little voice in my head whispering “what’s the point?”

You know, essentially.

it’s hard to reach out and tell people what i’m going through because then i have to talk to them

That's why the gods invented posting.

i wonder if people hate me more or less than i think they do

And, if you didn't have to talk to them, you could ask.

ignore at first sight

Yo, foes!

i didn't choose the irrational fear, the irrational fear chose me

Autonomically as it were.

can never tell if I'm fighting my demons or just hanging out with them

Or plotting my next move here.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat