a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:22 pm

sad socrates

Is this sadness or is this normality?

Yes.

Life makes it easy to be depressed.

Not only that but it's guaranteed.

Normal person: remember when things used to be fun?
Me: no

Any normal people here by the way.

I wasn’t planning on feeling better today.

But, fuck it, let's see what happens anyway.

Maybe we are the aliens we’re waiting for.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass!

The world keeps ending every week.

More to the point, it starts up again. On Monday for example.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:35 pm

Ernest Cline

Why would real aliens behave exactly like videogame simulations of themselves?

Next up: real illegal aliens.

I had spent hundreds of hours gazing out at the calm, conquered suburban landscape surrounding my school, silently yearning for the outbreak of a zombie apocalypse, a freak accident that would give me super powers, or perhaps the sudden appearance of a band of time-traveling kleptomaniac dwarves.

You know, when he's not posting here.

You cannot escape your destiny.

Reading this for example.

The bastard even refused to watch E.T.! Who doesn’t love E.T., I ask you?

After all, it is a Hollywood blockbuster.

If I was feeling depressed or frustrated about my lot in life, all I had to do was tap the Player One button, and my worries would instantly slip away as my mind focused itself on the relentless pixelated onslaught on the screen in front of me.

Or, sure, doing dope.

As soon as my log-in sequence completed, a window popped up on my display, informing me that today was an election day. Now that I was eighteen, I could vote, in both the OASIS elections and the elections for U.S. government officials. I didn’t bother with the latter, because I didn’t see the point. The once-great country into which I’d been born now resembled its former self in name only. It didn’t matter who was in charge. Those people were rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic and everyone knew it. Besides, now that everyone could vote from home, via the OASIS, the only people who could get elected were movie stars, reality TV personalities, or radical televangelists.

Yo, Ivanka!
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:47 pm

Martin Scorsese

I wouldn't presume to be God's point of view.

I do give it a shot myself from time to time.

I always wanted to make a film that had this sort of Chinese-box effect, in which you keep opening it up and opening it up, and finally at the end you're at the beginning.

I always just start at the beginning myself. But point taken.

People say you should do it this way, someone else suggests that, yes, there's financing, but maybe you should use this actor. And there are the threats, at the end - if you don't do it this way, you'll lose your box office; if you don't do it that way, you'll never get financed again... 35, 40 years of this, you get beat up.

Let's stick to posting here then, okay?

If your mother cooks Italian food, why should you go to a restaurant?

Because she doesn't cook Chinese food?

Zombies, what are you going to do with them? Just keep chopping them up, shooting at them, shooting at them.

Uh, don't put them in the film?

There are movies that change the whole way in which films are made, like Klute, where Gordon Willis’s photography on the film is so textured, and, they said, too dark.

Too dark? No way. Too light maybe.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:05 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"The world has always belonged to the stronger, and will belong to them for many years to come. Men only respect those who make themselves respected. Whoever becomes a lamb will find a wolf to eat him." Vilfredo Pareto

You know, until the meek inherit it.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life." Virginia Woolf

Maybe, he said, but I'll avoid it and take my chances.

"Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people Ignore." Albert Einstein

Really, really trust me on this one: "we'll need a context of course".

The past resembles the future more than one drop of water resembles another." Ibn Khaldun

Now that's horseshit.

“Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.” Isaac Newton

Well, not counting here, of course.

“No passion is stronger in the breast of a man than the desire to make others believe as he believes.” Virginia Woolf

The fools!! Right, Mr. Objectivist?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 pm

Louise Berliawsky Nevelson

In the first grade, I already knew the pattern of my life. I didn't know the living of it, but I knew the line… From the first day in school until the day I graduated, everyone gave me one hundred plus in art. Well, where do you go in life? You go to the place where you got one hundred plus.

Again, you tell me:
https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... 66&bih=625

I only know this - that you can’t give advice to an artist.

Yo, phoneutria! True or not?

It gave me great pleasure to think that I could take wood, make it good, and make people like Rockefeller buy it with paper money.

Either that or plastic.

I was given the gifts of the artist, and the trouble that goes with them: So I have that blessing, and there was never a time that I questioned it or doubted it.... For forty years, I wanted to jump out of windows.

Next up: what's left of the gifts of the philosopher.

Greatness breaks laws.

No, the other laws.

I believe in my work and in the joy of it. You have to be with the work and the work has to be with you. It absorbs you totally and you absorb it totally.

You know, like posting here.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 pm

Zaha Hadid

There are 360 degrees, so why stick to one?

It "comforts and consoles" you?

Architecture is like writing. You have to edit it over and over so it looks effortless.

And then the writing we have to endure here.

Architecture is really about well-being. I think that people want to feel good in a space ... On the one hand it's about shelter, but it's also about pleasure.

A kitchen, a bathroom, a space for his recliner. All the architecture he needed.

I'm trying to discover - invent, I suppose - an architecture, and forms of urban planning, that do something of the same thing in a contemporary way. I started out trying to create buildings that would sparkle like isolated jewels; now I want them to connect, to form a new kind of landscape, to flow together with contemporary cities and the lives of their peoples.

You tell me: https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... 66&bih=625

Architecture is how the person places herself in the space. Fashion is about how you place the object on the person.

Fashion? Sneakers, a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. And you already know about the "space" thing.

Know what it is that you are trying to find out.

Any doubts about what I want to find out?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:55 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“Human beings like to see themselves reflected in clouded mirrors.” Pär Lagerkvist

And then there's Fran Kubelik: https://youtu.be/N8jZr7A2TDU

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

In this day and age?!

“There is another world, but it is in this one.” W.B. Yeats

And then it's the same world all the way down.

"People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition end by starving the best part of the mind. ” W.B. Yeats

You know, up in the clouds.

"Life has no plot, why must films of fiction" Jim Jarmusch

Yo, Blurry!

“Nothing thicker than a knife's blade separates happiness from melancholy.” Virginia Woolf

She means thicker than a pussy hair of course.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:19 pm

Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

I stand ready to negotiate, but I want no part of laws: I acknowledge none; I protest against every order with which some authority may feel pleased on the basis of some alleged necessity to over-rule my free will. Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of government.

Sort of true, sure. But then there's rest of reality.

In any given society the authority of man over man runs in inverse proportion to the intellectual development of that society.

Sort of true, sure. But then there's rest of reality.

The great are only great because we are on our knees. Let us rise!

You know, back then.
Today we're stuck with Biden, Schumer and Pelosi.

I build no system. I ask an end to privilege, the abolition of slavery, equality of rights, and the reign of law. Justice, nothing else; that is the alpha and omega of my argument: to others I leave the business of governing the world.

Justice?
Just us!!

If one were to ask. . ."What is slavery?" and I should answer in one word, "murder," my meaning would be understood at once. Why, then, to this other question: "What is property?" may I not likewise answer, "theft"?

Next up: what slavery really is.

The social revolution is seriously compromised if it comes through a political revolution.

A few examples please.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:23 pm

George Saunders

I have a sense that God is unfair and preferentially punishes his weak, his dumb, his fat, his lazy. I believe he takes more pleasure in his perfect creatures, and cheers them on like a brainless dad as they run roughshod over the rest of us. He gives us a need for love, and no way to get any. He gives us a desire to be liked, and personal attributes that make us utterly unlikable. Having placed his flawed and needy children in a world of exacting specifications, he deducts the difference between what we have and what we need from our hearts and our self-esteem and our mental health.

Sounds like an asshole to me, he thought.

America is, and always has been, undecided about whether it will be the United States of Tom or the United States of Huck. The United States of Tom looks at misery and says: Hey, I didn't do it. It looks at inequity and says: All my life I busted my butt to get where I am, so don't come crying to me. Tom likes kings, codified nobility, unquestioned privilege. Huck likes people, fair play, spreading the truck around. Whereas Tom knows, Huck wonders. Whereas Huck hopes, Tom presumes. Whereas Huck cares, Tom denies. These two parts of the American Psyche have been at war since the beginning of the nation, and come to think of it, these two parts of the World Psyche have been at war since the beginning of the world, and the hope of the nation and of the world is to embrace the Huck part and send the Tom part back up the river, where it belongs.

Sure, why not.

There comes that phase in life when, tired of losing, you decide to stop losing, then continue losing. Then you decide to really stop losing, and continue losing. The losing goes on and on so long you begin to watch with curiosity, wondering how low you can go.

Nope, no winners here, he noticed.

The generalizing writer is like the passionate drunk, stumbling into your house mumbling: I know I'm not being clear, exactly, but don't you kind of feel what I'm feeling?

Here they can go fuck themselves, he grumbled.

Irony is just honesty with the volume cranked up.

And how ironic [or not ironic] is that?

Based on the experience of my life, which I have not exactly hit out of the park, I tend to agree with that thing about, If it's not broke, don't fix it. And would go even further to: Even if it is broke, leave it alone, you'll probably make it worse.

Here? Broke [like fixed] being in the mind of the beholder.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:33 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean.” Isaac Newton

And that's just on this planet.

"If you can't say it simply and clearly, keep quiet, and keep working on it till you can." Karl Popper

You know, in the either/or world.

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude." Karl Popper

Right, Mr. Objectivist?

"Although other aspects of the question are usually in the foreground, the controversy over freedom of speech and of the press is at bottom a controversy of the desirability, or otherwise, of telling lies." George Orwell

Imagine then his reaction to Trump!!

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." Winston S. Churchill

Yo, Kids!

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." Winston S. Churchill

Next up: stumbling from failure to failure to failure to failure to failure to failure.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:50 pm

Emily Bronte

If I were in heaven, Nelly, I should be extremely miserable.
Because you are not fit to go there, I answered. All sinners would be miserable in heaven.

That's certainly one way to look at it.

Oh, I'm burning! I wish I were out of doors! I wish I were a girl again, half savage and hardy, and free... and laughing at injuries, not maddening under them! Why am I so changed?

Old age let's call it. You know, until we know for sure.

I am now quite cured of seeking pleasure in society, be it country or town. A sensible man ought to find sufficient company in himself.

I practically reinvented this, he thought.

Hereafter she is only my sister in name; not because I disown her, but because she has disowned me.

Works both ways, doesn't it?

My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source of little visible delight, but necessary.

Poor Heathcliff he thought.

The clock strikes off the hollow half-hours of all the life that is left to you, one by one.

You're either there now or you will be.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Parodites » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:58 pm

Our Yielding Stars, Pars. 5; Erotoime, or Love-Refrains:

It is a humorous experiment, to apply Zeno's paradoxes of motion to the motion of Spirit,
that is, the ascertaining of wisdom, for whose task one must pass through an infinite
number of errors, of un-wisdom. Each book takes up a few points along this continuum
toward wisdom as if it mattered, whether one read 1 or 10,000 of them. It matters and does
not matter: one does not approach wisdom one error at a time, as little as Zeno's arrow
crosses an infinity of points.

Remember always that the Serpent was only ever able to
convince us to taste of the fruit of knowledge by speaking to us in our own language, "the
fractured and aborted tongue" of mortals, that is- by offering something to us that was
there with us and within us from the beginning. One can deceive only through the Truth,
for nobody knows the Truth; one can only tempt a being by offering to it what it, itself,
actually is, for no being knows what it, itself, actually is, and no being could long to
possess anything other than that- anything other than itself.
Assuming, however, that self-
knowledge was possible- it must be admitted that, insofar as one knows one's self, there is
no temptation.

Solitude, unlike other feelings, can grow infinitely, extend itself infinitely, deepen itself
infinitely, for the self can infinitely analyze-- itself.

Most people live without hope, because they were never hopeless. "In the sad margin to
that desert egoism we call life, as Stendhal referred to it," we can only hope to receive, if
even for moments only, a glimpse over the edge, a glimpse into another life. We shall be
twin "initiated in the mysteries of the Dawn," for "everything beautiful makes us want to
stand in its current, and be swept up with it, into another life, into another wave, into its
vanishing-- into love, to perish against the ineffable with it."

In truth, we are all idealists and realists, at least when it comes to the matter of Amore,
which, in the case of women, strikes no false note it seems, with the opening Senecan
motto, taken out of Martin's "Familiar Dialogues between Americus and Brittanicus"; that
Love were admittedly the cordial drop in Fortune's glass, which even the mightiest of
philosophers could not reprove, the greatest priests of the Stoa could not admonish, or the
most thorough skeptic doubt, and all must delight in as it comes, and all must pity as it
goes;- but, though it sweeten the bitter draught of Life, it finds no greater purpose in the
scheme of things,- and still, we taste the wormwood and the gall. Love sharpens women,
teaching them a healthy distrust of the passions, and to take due account of the potential
consequences of their decision, namely as to who they should indebt their heart, and even
with respect to the furthest of complications, that it is necessary, here above all other
turns in life, to weigh their choice carefully against the feather of love, and that with all
the stoicism men imagine themselves as valiantly exercising over their own impulses and
desires, to hold still the effusion of what airy scintilla and prismatical display upon the
stars of their secret firmament,- their half-forgotten wishes, their life's youth and attendant
angels, while, on the other hand, men grow blithered and insensible with it, fancying that
it were even one of love's virtues, that for its sake one should blindly pledge their heart
against all reprisals of fortune, and with disregard for any potential consequences, or by
how great the wider circumspect,- asking not of Heaven for that below the wage of Sin,
our mortal gambit undiminished and yet uncompassed, to go on deriding the will of Gods,
Nature and Man alike;- or by still more exalting cast, out of the poet- [Edward Young, in:
The Complaint, or Night-Thoughts, on Life, Death, and Immortality; Night III. Narcissa.]
to be "lost to virtue, lost to manly Thought, lost to the noble sallies of the soul!", though
for whose demurrment Narcissa hath more keenly studied her reluctancies,- "How mortal!
How dang'rous the desire." Similarly, considering the proximity of love, spite, and
vengeance in the organization of the passions, and if I might be allowed to provide some
cursory exegesis on the well-known proverb, which gives us to understand the scorned
woman to hold revenge far more fiercely than her adverse in the opposing sex, it must be
said that vengeance, while it blinds women, hones the male intelligence, on whose
account man, growing cold with the hastened murmurings of his rational faculty, learns
for the first time, ironically- to think like women, reconstructing within the life of his own
sympathies, the psychology and the structure of defenses so galvanized in the object of
his disdain. Here, as elsewhere, we discover Nature in her unmatched genius for
congruity and equilibrium, in this formula: love sharpens women, and dulls men; revenge
sharpens men, and dulls women. It were certainly an arrangement not without cause or
merit, for women have the most to lose in love, and men the least, especially in ages past.
This is not to say that one sex values love more than the other, only that they value it for
different reasons: men, because they are forgiven their ideal, their cross- because they are
forgiven themselves, and women, because here they find their pith, the hour in which they
draw closest to the standard of their own ideal and cross, or some final conformation of
their genius and perspicuity.
Qui non intelligit, aut taceat, aut discat.

BTHYS TOU ANAHAT KHYA-PANDEMAI.
-- Hermaedion, in: the Liber Endumiaskia.

ΑΝΤΗΡΟΠΑΡΙΟΝ,
in formis perisseia mutilata in omnia perisarkos mutilatum;
omniformis protosseia immutilatum in protosarkos immutilata.

Measure the breaking of the Flesh in the flesh that is broken.
[ The Ecstasies of Zosimos, Tablet
the First.]
Parodites

Postby iambiguous » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 am

Parodites wrote:Our Yielding Stars, Pars. 5; Erotoime, or Love-Refrains:

It is a humorous experiment, to apply Zeno's paradoxes of motion to the motion of Spirit,
that is, the ascertaining of wisdom, for whose task one must pass through an infinite
number of errors, of un-wisdom. Each book takes up a few points along this continuum
toward wisdom as if it mattered, whether one read 1 or 10,000 of them. It matters and does
not matter: one does not approach wisdom one error at a time, as little as Zeno's arrow
crosses an infinity of points.

Remember always that the Serpent was only ever able to
convince us to taste of the fruit of knowledge by speaking to us in our own language, "the
fractured and aborted tongue" of mortals, that is- by offering something to us that was
there with us and within us from the beginning. One can deceive only through the Truth,
for nobody knows the Truth; one can only tempt a being by offering to it what it, itself,
actually is, for no being knows what it, itself, actually is, and no being could long to
possess anything other than that- anything other than itself.
Assuming, however, that self-
knowledge was possible- it must be admitted that, insofar as one knows one's self, there is
no temptation.

Solitude, unlike other feelings, can grow infinitely, extend itself infinitely, deepen itself
infinitely, for the self can infinitely analyze-- itself.

Most people live without hope, because they were never hopeless. "In the sad margin to
that desert egoism we call life, as Stendhal referred to it," we can only hope to receive, if
even for moments only, a glimpse over the edge, a glimpse into another life. We shall be
twin "initiated in the mysteries of the Dawn," for "everything beautiful makes us want to
stand in its current, and be swept up with it, into another life, into another wave, into its
vanishing-- into love, to perish against the ineffable with it."

In truth, we are all idealists and realists, at least when it comes to the matter of Amore,
which, in the case of women, strikes no false note it seems, with the opening Senecan
motto, taken out of Martin's "Familiar Dialogues between Americus and Brittanicus"; that
Love were admittedly the cordial drop in Fortune's glass, which even the mightiest of
philosophers could not reprove, the greatest priests of the Stoa could not admonish, or the
most thorough skeptic doubt, and all must delight in as it comes, and all must pity as it
goes;- but, though it sweeten the bitter draught of Life, it finds no greater purpose in the
scheme of things,- and still, we taste the wormwood and the gall. Love sharpens women,
teaching them a healthy distrust of the passions, and to take due account of the potential
consequences of their decision, namely as to who they should indebt their heart, and even
with respect to the furthest of complications, that it is necessary, here above all other
turns in life, to weigh their choice carefully against the feather of love, and that with all
the stoicism men imagine themselves as valiantly exercising over their own impulses and
desires, to hold still the effusion of what airy scintilla and prismatical display upon the
stars of their secret firmament,- their half-forgotten wishes, their life's youth and attendant
angels, while, on the other hand, men grow blithered and insensible with it, fancying that
it were even one of love's virtues, that for its sake one should blindly pledge their heart
against all reprisals of fortune, and with disregard for any potential consequences, or by
how great the wider circumspect,- asking not of Heaven for that below the wage of Sin,
our mortal gambit undiminished and yet uncompassed, to go on deriding the will of Gods,
Nature and Man alike;- or by still more exalting cast, out of the poet- [Edward Young, in:
The Complaint, or Night-Thoughts, on Life, Death, and Immortality; Night III. Narcissa.]
to be "lost to virtue, lost to manly Thought, lost to the noble sallies of the soul!", though
for whose demurrment Narcissa hath more keenly studied her reluctancies,- "How mortal!
How dang'rous the desire." Similarly, considering the proximity of love, spite, and
vengeance in the organization of the passions, and if I might be allowed to provide some
cursory exegesis on the well-known proverb, which gives us to understand the scorned
woman to hold revenge far more fiercely than her adverse in the opposing sex, it must be
said that vengeance, while it blinds women, hones the male intelligence, on whose
account man, growing cold with the hastened murmurings of his rational faculty, learns
for the first time, ironically- to think like women, reconstructing within the life of his own
sympathies, the psychology and the structure of defenses so galvanized in the object of
his disdain. Here, as elsewhere, we discover Nature in her unmatched genius for
congruity and equilibrium, in this formula: love sharpens women, and dulls men; revenge
sharpens men, and dulls women. It were certainly an arrangement not without cause or
merit, for women have the most to lose in love, and men the least, especially in ages past.
This is not to say that one sex values love more than the other, only that they value it for
different reasons: men, because they are forgiven their ideal, their cross- because they are
forgiven themselves, and women, because here they find their pith, the hour in which they
draw closest to the standard of their own ideal and cross, or some final conformation of
their genius and perspicuity.

We'll need a context of course.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Parodites » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:39 am

Context is for people who can't maintain their own universe. In other words, fucking pussy littl3 bitchews, Bitches. Parodites' context is Parodites you fuckin g motherrrcukm,er

ΑΝΤΗΡΟΠΑΡΙΟΝ,

the First.]
Parodites

Postby iambiguous » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:08 am

Parodites wrote:Context is for people who can't maintain their own universe. In other words, fucking pussy littl3 bitchews, Bitches. Parodites' context is Parodites you fuckin g motherrrcukm,er

Besides, this being a thread for mundane ironists, you don't strike me as one of those at all. 8)

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 am

_
Tho his verse were beautifully worded,
..and his reply to your’s, equally so.
:lol:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby iambiguous » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:38 pm

Lisa Gardner

It wasn’t that strangers couldn’t hurt you. It was simply that the people you loved could do it so much better.

Let's share lists.

Most people don't need the help of strangers to screw up their lives; most of them are quite capable of doing it themselves.

Yeah, I can go along with that.

Men may be violent, Officer Dodge, but let's face it-women are cruel...

Let's pin down which is worse.

What I learned is that it's arrogant to be certain of anything. The world is a complex place and only idiots or assholes think they know it all.

Just look at the assholes here.

...it’s one thing to survive. It is much, much harder to truly live...

Anyone truly live here?

Sure, they all have iPods, smartphones, whatever. Generally speaking, it’s in our own best interest to keep some kind of electronic device in their hands. Otherwise they might talk to us.

Not only that, but actually stop by and visit.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"Beware the barrenness of a busy life." Socrates

Or, sure, the sheer joy of it.

“The original is unfaithful to the translation.” Jorge Luis Borges

Just how stupid is that?
Want me to tell you?

"Men follow their sentiments and their self-interest, but it pleases them to imagine that they follow reason." Vilfredo Pareto

Women too he suspected.

"When it is useful to them, men can believe a theory of which they know nothing more than its name.” Vilfredo Pareto

And, no, not just value ontology.

"Truth is something which can't be told in a few words. Those who simplify the universe only reduce the expansion of its meaning." Anais Nin

And do we have some whoppers here!!!

"I measure the strength of a spirit by how much truth it can take." Friedrich Nietzsche

Not much, right, Mr. Objectivist?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:12 pm

Olga Tokarczuk

I stopped in the sloping market square, and gradually I felt flooded by a powerful sense of communion with the people passing by. Each man was my brother and each woman my sister. We were so very much alike. So fragile, impermanent, and easily destroyed. We trustingly went to and fro beneath the sky, which had nothing good in store for us.

Tell me this doesn't have that "ring of truth" about it.

Spring is just a short interlude, after which the mighty armies of death advance; they’re already besieging the city walls. We live in a state of siege. If one takes a close look at each fragment of a moment, one might choke with terror. Within our bodies disintegration inexorably advances; soon we shall fall sick and die. Our loved ones will leave us, the memory of them will dissolve in the tumult; nothing will remain. Just a few clothes in the wardrobe and someone in a photograph, no longer recognized. The most precious memories will dissipate. Everything will sink into darkness and vanish.

Tell me this doesn't have that "ring of truth" about it.

He saw it. Not in front, or behind him, just somewhere out in the darkness. It was huge and powerful. The whiteness of its fur gleamed in the light of the snow.
'Wolf, in the name of the Polish border I beg you to spare my life,' he said into the darkness.
The wolf stopped behind him, wondering.

Though not for long.

Anger can prompt one to utter various words, but it can also make one fail to remember them afterward.

Of course here they are posted.

Many times Annushka had tried to barter with anyone she could, with God, with the Virgin, with Saint Parascheva, with the whole iconostasis, even with the closer, vaguer realm of fate.

And look at her now. However that might possibly be.

Standing there on the embankment, staring into the current, I realized that – in spite of all the risks involved – a thing in motion will always be better than a thing at rest; that change will always be a nobler thing than permanence; that that which is static will degenerate and decay, turn to ash, while that which is in motion is able to last for all eternity.

People too. Well, not counting death of course.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Parodites » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:13 am

My apologies, I took more pills than usual last night when I answered you about context. The context is: erotoime is Greek for "refrain of love". The aphorisms I included there are written from the perspective of the pathological or daemonic individuality, (17,18,19,20, and 26)

ΑΝΤΗΡΟΠΑΡΙΟΝ,

the First.]
Parodites

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Jostein Gaarder

Many of the Nazis were convicted after the war, but they were not convicted for being 'unreasonable'. They were convicted for being gruesome murderers.

Fair enough?

The German poet Goethe once said that "he who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." I don't want you to end up in such a sad state. I will do what I can to acquaint you with your historical roots. It is the only way to become a human being. It is the only way to become more than a naked ape. It is the only way to avoid floating in a vacuum.

Or, sure, all the way back to the Big Bang.

I said that one of the most infectious things I know is laughter. But sorrow can also be contagious. Fear is different. It isn't as communicable as laughter or sadness, and a good thing too. Fear is almost entirely a lonely thing.

Two words: mass hysteria.

According to Kierkegaard, rather than searching for the Truth with a capital T, it is more important to find the kind of truths that are meaningful to the individual's life. It is important to find `the truth for me`.

Next up: the truth for "me".

He could very likely have appealed for leniency. At least he could have saved his life by agreeing to leave Athens. But had he done this he would not have been Socrates. He valued his conscience--and the truth-- higher than life.

A fool in other words?

To Summarize briefly: A white rabbit is pulled out of a top hat. Because it is an extremely large rabbit, the trick takes many billions of years. All mortals are born at the very tip of the rabbit's fine hairs. where they are in a position to wonder at the impossibility of the trick. But as they grow older they work themselves even deeper into the fur. And there they stay. They become so comfortable they never risk crawling back up the fragile hairs again. Only philosophers embark on this perilous expedition to the outermost reaches of language and existence. Some of them fall off, but others cling on desperately and yell at the people nestling deep in the snug softness, stuffing themselves with delicious food and drink.

'Ladies and gentlemen,' they yell, 'we are floating in space!' but none of the people down there care.

'What a bunch of troublemakers!' they say. And they keep on chatting: Would you pass the butter, please? How much have our stocks risen today? What is the price of tomatoes? Have you heard that Princes Di is expecting again?

You know, before they heard that she had died.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Werner Twertzog

Still missing Johnny Cash.

The dead man in black.

There is no moral alternative but the liberation of Britney, as we all know.

This thing apparently: https://www.cnet.com/news/free-britney- ... g-to-know/

Mass indifference to reality is important for building autocracies, as we all know.

Yo, urwrongx!
[and all the other idiots here]

It is important, when overthrowing the US government, to shout “We are number one!”

With a bullet as it were.

Is it a witch hunt if the accused says, "I am a witch, I mean to do evil, I laugh at your anti-witch conventions, and I dare you to challenge me"?

I'd say no myself.

Dear America: Superheroes will not save you. You are going to have to put down your bong pipes and grease chips and turn off the idiot box. Maybe consider reading a book.

Or, sure, come here. :lol:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:39 pm

Ana Castillo

Hispanic gives us all one ultimate paternal cultural progenitor: Spain. The diverse cultures already on the American shores when the Europeans arrived, as well as those introduced because of the African slave trade, are completely obliterated by the term. Hispanic is nothing more than a concession made by the U. S. legislature when they saw they couldn't get rid of us. If we won't go away, why not at least Europeanize us, make us presentable guests at the dinner table, take away our feathers and rattles and civilize us once and for all.

The feathers and the rattles, sure, he thought.

Poverty has its advantages. When you're that poor what would you have that anyone would want? Except your peace of mind. Your dignity. Your heart. The important things.

Next up: the disadvantages.

I'm obviously an American citizen. My parents are American citizens. But I'm not looked at as an American.

To, among others, the racists.

I've spent my whole life in Chicago being asked where am I from, so that I have a sense of displacement that also is very psychologically disorienting.

Either that or being told where to go.

For things to have value in man's world, they are given the role of commodities. Among man's oldest and most constant commodity is woman.

Back again to this: genes more or less than memes?

In nature, creatures never ended the lives of others except to survive. To women, abortion was self-defense and preservation of the species. Abortion was not a fancy borne out of the female mind. Abortion was instinct beyond ideas. Abortion was fear (the cat that devours its litter when a predator nears).

Nature is just funny that way.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:09 am

I want you back, but oh yea the irony.. I can’t! ..this is not regarding a man.

https://youtu.be/s3Q80mk7bxE
Last edited by MagsJ on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby iambiguous » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:40 pm

Ernest Cline

My whole life, I felt like I was destined to do something important, but I was only ever good at videogames, which I always figured would be completely useless. But it’s not useless, and neither am I. I think this is what I was always destined to do with my life. I just never knew it.

A lame ass rationalization let's call it.

A recluse. A pale-skinned pop culture–obsessed geek. An agoraphobic shut-in, with no real friends, family, or genuine human contact. I was just another sad, lost, lonely soul, wasting his life on a glorified videogame. But not in the OASIS. In there, I was the great Parzival. World-famous gunter and international celebrity. People asked for my autograph. I had a fan club. Several, actually. I was recognized everywhere I went (but only when I wanted to be). I was paid to endorse products. People admired and looked up to me. I got invited to the most exclusive parties. I went to all the hippest clubs and never had to wait in line. I was a pop-culture icon, a VR rock star. And, in gunter circles, I was a legend. Nay, a god.

No, this is really how it works!

I knew Armada was only a videogame, but I’d never been one of the “best of the best” at anything before, and my accomplishment gave me a real sense of pride.

You know, like being good at pool. Or ping pong.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos of cute geeky girls playing ’80s cover tunes on ukuleles. Technically, this wasn’t part of my research, but I had a serious cute-geeky-girls-playing-ukuleles fetish that I can neither explain nor defend.

A postmodern dystopia on steroids.
Right?

From then on, my computer monitored my vital signs and kept track of exactly how many calories I burned during the course of each day. If I didn’t meet my daily exercise requirements, the system prevented me from logging into my OASIS account.

Yo, Carleas! Let's make that how it works here too.

If it weren’t for Tolkien, all of us nerds would’ve had a lot less fun during the last ninety years.

Someone explain this please.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat