a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:13 pm

so sad today

mentally i’m always in bed

That works for me.

so you think you can go a day without overthinking

Or, here, underthinking. Right, Kids?

i miss when i didn’t exist

Going back to the dinosaurs especially.

everything is getting worse in a boring way

Tell me that's not as bad as it gets!

already stressed out about my funeral turnout

Isn't everyone?

the lost art of shutting the fuck up

Me here, right?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:54 pm

Olga Tokarczuk

Blake would say that there are some places in the Universe where the Fall has not occurred, the world has not turned upside down and Eden still exists. Here Mankind is not governed by the rules of reason, stupid and strict, but by the heart and intuition. The people do not indulge in idle chatter, parading what they know, but create remarkable things by applying their imagination. The state ceases to impose the shackles of daily oppression, but helps people to realize their hopes and dreams. And Man is not just a cog in the system, not just playing a role, but a free Creature.

On Mars maybe?

When we were young we thought of old age as an ailment that affected only other people.

Well, youth isn't wasted on them for nothing.

It is widely known, after all, that real life takes place in movement.

The movement of words especially. Right, Mr. Serious Philosopher?

It is strange that God, who is beyond the limits of time, manifests Himself within time and its transformations. If you don’t know “where” God is – and people sometimes ask such questions – you have to look at everything that changes and moves, that doesn’t fit into a shape, that fluctuates and disappears: the surface of the sea, the dances of the sun’s corona, earthquakes, the continental drift, snows melting and glaciers moving, rivers flowing to the sea, seeds germinating, the wind that sculpts mountains, a foetus developing in its mother’s belly, wrinkles near the eyes, a body decaying in the grave, wines maturing, or mushrooms growing after a rain.

God is present in every process. God is vibrating in every transformation. Now He is there, now there is less of Him, but sometimes He is not there at all, because God manifests Himself even in the fact that He is not there.

People – who themselves are in fact a process – are afraid of whatever is impermanent and always changing, which is why they have invented something that doesn’t exist – invariability, and recognised that whatever is eternal and unchanging is perfect. So they have ascribed invariability to God, and that was how they lost the ability to understand Him.

God again. Him and people.

Long years of unhappiness cause a person worse degradation than a fatal illness.

Let's pin down how long.

The truth is terrible: describing is destroying.

Obviously: your context or mine?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:35 pm

Marie Antoinette

If the people have no bread, let them eat cake.

And look where that got her.

I wasn’t raised, I was built.

And look where that got her.

I was a queen, and you took away my crown; a wife, and you killed my husband; a mother, and you deprived me of my children. My blood alone remains: take it, but do not make me suffer long.

Whine whine whine.

There is nothing new except what has been forgotten.

Of course now they have pills for that.

...it is the nature of human beings, and especially of the mediocre ones, to wish to change everything. They desire it all the more because they know popularity will accrue rather to those who disturb than to those who maintain order.

Things ruling class assholes will tell you. But point taken.

Marie Antoinette. Her last words were, "Pardon me sir. I did not mean to do it," to a man whose foot she stepped on before she was executed by the guillotine.

If only we had youtube back then, right?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:43 pm

sad socrates

If you can’t handle me at my tomorrow, you don’t deserve me at my never.

Next up: what that might mean for today.

Life is great, but not good.

Let alone so-so.

You only live once, but get to be depressed every day.

On average, 27,000 of them.

America is such a fuckboy.

A little help with this one.

People are the cancer of a nation.

Well, mine anyway.

Not the first time a nation has fallen to chaos.

But over and over and over again?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:09 pm

Jostein Gaarder

The question of whether a thing is right or wrong, good or bad, must always be considered in relation to a person's needs.

Next up: what that person wants too.

Our lives are part of a unique adventure... Nevertheless, most of us think the world is 'normal' and are constantly hunting for something abnormal--like angels or Martians. But that is just because we don't realize the world is a mystery. As for myself, I felt completely different. I saw the world as an amazing dream. I was hunting for some kind of explanation of how everything fit together.

A bit insipid but point taken.

Where both reason and experience fall short, there occurs a vacuum that can be filled by faith.

Or what I fill it with.

Dear Hilde, if the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.

If it's even possible, let's make sense of this.

A Russian astronaut and a Russian brain surgeon were once discussing religion. The brain surgeon was a Christian but the astronaut was not. The astronaut said, 'I've been out in space many times but I've never seen God or angels.' And the brain surgeon said, 'And I've operated on many clever brains but I've never seen a single thought.'

Who wins?

Life is short for those who are truly able to understand that one day the entire world will come to a complete end. Not everyone is capable of that. Not everyone has the ability to comprehend what going away for all eternity really implies. There are too many distractions, hour by hour, minute by minute, to hinder such an understanding.

Hinder? Quite the opposite, he insisted.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:46 pm

Ernest Cline

That there was nothing so wrong in the world that we couldn’t sort it out by the end of a single half-hour episode -- or maybe a two-parter, if it was something really serious.

Unless, of course, it gets cancelled.

Other virtual worlds soon followed suit, from the Metaverse to the Matrix. The Firefly universe was anchored in a sector adjacent to the Star Wars galaxy, with a detailed re-creation of the Star Trek universe in the sector adjacent to that. Users could now teleport back and forth between their favorite fictional worlds. Middle Earth. Vulcan. Pern. Arrakis. Magrathea. Discworld, Mid-World, Riverworld, Ringworld. Worlds upon worlds.

Paradise!

The OASIS lets you be whoever you want to be. That's why everyone is addicted to it.

Same here. A fulminating fanatic joker for example.

Human beings were never meant to participate in a worldwide social network comprised of billions of people. We were designed by evolution to be hunter-gatherers, with the mental capacity to interact and socialize with the other members of our tribe—a tribe made up of a few hundred other people at most. Interacting with thousands or even millions of other people on a daily basis was way too much for our ape-descended melons to handle. That was why social media had been gradually driving the entire population of the world insane since it emerged back around the turn of the century.

This doesn't explain everything of course but it comes a hell of a lot closer than most of us here.

That’s how you know you’ve mastered a videogame—when a bunch of butt-hurt crybabies start to accuse you of cheating in an effort to cope with the beatdown they’ve just suffered at your hands.

Fucking Kids he called them. Much like ours here.

I mean, did you ever hear of Wikipedia? It’s free, douchebag.

Well, after you purchase the computer and access to the internet.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:43 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.” Plato

Here? Mine not his.

"If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

So, how am I doing so far?

“Living is a constant process of deciding what we are going to do.” Jose Ortega y Gasset

Brilliant!

"Droll thing life is -- that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself -- that comes too late -- a crop of inextinguishable regrets." Joseph Conrad

Again, being optimistic.

"The tree is happy because it is scarcely sentient;
the hard rock is happier still, it feels nothing:
there is no pain as great as being alive,
no burden heavier than that of conscious life." Ruben Dario

Again, being optimistic.

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” Henry Miller

Want to try mine?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:00 am

Martin Scorsese

The most important thing is the script.

Remember when, here, it used to be the philosophy?

Music and film are inseparable. They always have been and always will be.

Let's explain that.

Violence is not the answer, it doesn’t work any more. We are at the end of the worst century in which the greatest atrocities in the history of the world have occurred... The nature of human beings must change. We must cultivate love and compassion.

Coming from him no less?

We’re face to face with images all the time in a way that we never have been before... Young people need to understand that not all images are there to be consumed like fast food and then forgotten – we need to educate them to understand the difference between moving images that engage their humanity and their intelligence, and moving images that are just selling them something.

Yo, Hollywood!

Watching a Kubrick film is like gazing up at a mountaintop. You look up and wonder, how could anyone have climbed that high?

So, who is the equivalent of Kubrick here? :lol:

I’m not interested in a realistic look, not at all, not ever. Every film should look the way I feel.

How was he feeling here: https://youtu.be/Tv5_FAAeMeE

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:29 pm

Louise Glück

We look at the world once, in childhood. The rest is memory.

Tell that to, among others, the bill collectors.

At the end of my suffering
there was a door.

Revolving all the way to the grave.

The master said you must write what you see
But what I see does not move me
The master answered Change what you see.

One word: options.

I am attracted to ellipsis, to the unsaid, to suggestion, to eloquent, deliberate silence. The unsaid, for me, exerts great power: often I wish an entire poem could be made in this vocabulary. It is analogous to the unseen.

Next up: the unpost.

The advantage of poetry over life is that poetry, if it is sharp enough, may last.

Sharp enough. You tell me.

You know
what despair is; then
winter should have meaning for you.

Being smack dab in the middle of it right now.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:11 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"A work of art has no importance whatever to society. It is only important to the individual." Vladimir Nabokov

Until of course it trickles down to all the rest of us.

“The cry 'Liberty, equality, fraternity or death!' was much in vogue during the Revolution. Liberty ended by covering France with prisons, equality by multiplying titles and decorations, and fraternity by dividing us. Death alone prevailed.” Louis de Bonald

Imagine then Joker's Revolution!

"Everyone is the other and no one is himself." Martin Heidegger

In, for example, an intellectual contraption.

"A person is neither a thing nor a process but an opening through which the Absolute can manifest." Martin Heidegger

In, for example, an intellectual contraption.

"The point is that we are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right." George Orwell

No one like that here, right?

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” Henry Miller

A new wrong way for example.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:49 pm

Frank Gehry

I would like to make a building as intellectually driven as it is sculptural and as positive as it would be acceptable to hope.

After he ran it by Ayn of course.

Time is just a blur for me. I don't know what...I don't even know where I am sometimes.

And, at 91, getting less and less blurry all the time.

Artists dismiss me as an architect, so I'm not in their box, and architects dismiss me as an artist, so I'm not in their box.

Lots and lots of boxes here too. Some flatter than a pancake.

Art is about people. I think the discussion about whether architecture is art or not is lamebrain.

Lamebrains. Tell me about it!

If I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. When I can predict or plan it, I don't do it.

You know, in theory

I think most of us are idealists. You start out that way, anyway.

Let's not go there, he grumbled.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Peter Kropotkin

Where there is authority, there is no freedom.

No authority here, right?
Meet freedom:
https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 2&t=196676

Competition is the law of the jungle, but cooperation is the law of civilization.

I know, what if this were really true?

The law has no claim to human respect. It has no civilizing mission; its only purpose is to protect exploitation.

Well, not counting the law of civilization.

The hopeless don't revolt, because revolution is an act of hope.

One word: Joker.

Everywhere you will find that the wealth of the wealthy springs from the poverty of the poor.

Yo, Zoots!

America is just the country that shows how all the written guarantees in the world for freedom are no protection against tyranny and oppression of the worst kind. There the politician has come to be looked upon as the very scum of society.

Imagine then his reaction to Trump.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:59 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“Doubt is an uncomfortable condition, but certainty is a ridiculous one.” Voltaire

I never tire of ressurecting this point.
But we'll still need a context though.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov

Excluding this of course: https://youtu.be/OlaTeXX3uH8

"No, it is impossible; it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one’s existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone." Joseph Conrad

Again, didn't I tell you?

“Whoever decides to change is aware of not knowing what the change may bring.” Sicilian Proverb

Or, sure, not aware.

“It's like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story.” Haruki Murakami

If not a fucking tome.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt

Or, for the Kids here, with or without it.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:41 pm

Emily Bronte

If I could I would always work in silence and obscurity, and let my efforts be known by their results.

You know, way back when people actually thought like this.

Thoughts are tyrants that return again and again to torment us.

Not unlike feelings. Though some say more, others less.

Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.

None like mine here, he noticed.

She burned too bright for this world.

On the other hand, does she know that?

I shall smile when wreaths of snow blossom where the rose should grow.

The deeper the better.

Treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends; they wound those who resort to them worse than their enemies.

Not if you wield it right.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 pm

Olga Tokarczuk

They weren’t real travelers: they left in order to return.

Ah, a technicality.

Everything is hypothetical in hell.

Hell itself being hypothetical.

This is in essence what interested him the most: In what way do such distinct substances as the body and the soul connect in the human body and act upon one another?

You know, if they are distinct.

It occurred to me that every unjustly inflicted death deserved public exposure. Even an Insect's. A death that nobody noticed was twice as scandalous.

Nope, that's never actually occured to me.

Anyone who has ever tried to write a novel knows what an arduous task it is, undoubtedly one of the worst ways of occupying oneself. You have to remain within yourself all the time, in solitary confinement. It’s a controlled psychosis, an obsessive paranoia manacled to work, completely lacking in the feather pens and bustles and Venetian masks we would ordinarily associate with it, clothed instead in a butcher’s apron and rubber boots, eviscerating knife in hand.

So, sure, stick to posting here.

My Ailments appear treacherously; I never know when they’re coming. And then something happens inside my body, my bones begin to ache. It’s an unpleasant ache, sickening – that’s the word I’d use. It continues incessantly, it doesn’t stop for hours, sometimes days on end. There’s no hiding from this pain, there are no pills or injections for it. It must hurt, just as a river must flow and fire must burn. It spitefully reminds me that I consist of physical particles, which are slipping away by the second. Perhaps one could get used to it? Learn to live with it, just as people live in the cities of Auschwitz or Hiroshima, without ever thinking about what happened there in the past. They simply live their lives.

There's a lesson in there somewhere. But who the hell really knows what it is.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." Julius Caesar

I know that I do.

"What part of "Don't unite with people who want to destroy you" is difficult to understand? America very much needs unity and common cause, but not with mutineers and fascists. Never." Garry Kasparov

We got rid of ours here, but what of theirs there?

"How can anybody learn anything from an artwork when the piece of art only reflects the vanity of the artist and not reality?" Lou Reed

Yo, dasein!

“My bullshit is worth more than other people’s diamonds.” Lou Reed

Just not anymore.

"One chord is fine, two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz." Lou Reed

My guess: there's the equivalent of that here.

“We accept reality so readily -- perhaps because we sense that nothing is real.” Jorge Luis Borges

What do you think, more postmodern bullshit?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:46 pm

Sharon Olds

I was a late bloomer. But anyone who blooms at all, ever, is very lucky.

Never bloomed myself.
Whatever that means.

Poets are like steam valves, where the ordinary feelings of ordinary people can escape and be shown.

What's that make philosophers then? You know, the insufferable "serious" ones here.
And [especially] there.
You know where.

I have learned to get pleasure from speaking of pain.

For some though it just comes natural.

I did not know him, I knew my idea of him.

And he, you. I merely include myself here as well.

maybe in order to understand sex fully
one has to risk being destroyed by it.

Thank god for masturbation, he sighed.

What poetry can, must, and will always do for us: it complicates us, it doesn’t ‘soothe.’

For some though complication itself is soothing.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:49 pm

Jostein Gaarder

And although I have seen nothing but black crows in my life, it doesn't mean that there's no such thing as a white crow. Both for a philosopher and for a scientist it can be important not to reject the possibility of finding a white crow. You might almost say that hunting for 'the white crow' is science's principal task.

Next up: finding a black unicorn.

People are, generally speaking, either dead certain or totally indifferent.

Let's pin down precisely how generally speaking.

I'm not just some butterfly for you to catch.

Tell that to Frederick Clegg.

... perhaps the clock hands had become so tired of going in the same direction year after year that they had suddenly begun to go the opposite way instead...

Anyone here ever seen this?

Philosophy is the opposite of fairy tales.

You know, once it comes down out of ther clouds.

Nevertheless we are free individuals, and this freedom condemns us to make choices throughout our lives. There are no eternal values or norms we can adhere to, which makes our choices even more significant. Because we are totally responsible for everything we do. Sartre emphasized that man must never disclaim the responsibility for his actions. Nor can we avoid the responsibility of making our own choices on the grounds that we "must" go to work, or we "must" live up to certain middle-class expectations regarding how we should live. Those who thus slip into the anonymous masses will never be other than members of the impersonal flock, having fled from themselves into self-deception. On the other hand our freedom obliges us to make something of ourselves, to live "authentically" or "truly".

Bullshit, he thought. But point taken.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:10 pm

Werner Twertzog

Meanwhile, NY Times columnist David Brooks stands, a solitary figure, by the Bethesda Fountain. "How did we lose our way?" he thinks, and accidentally says it aloud.
A small child punches him in the face.

Well, it might just as well be a true story.

This was a vile and debased decade.
But every decade is so.

He means every century of course.

Whatever does not kill you makes you stronger, until it kills you.

Life itself for example.

The alternative to pain is nonexistence, as we all know.

Some more than others I suspect.

The U.S. military has been breeding pig men since the 50s, as we all know.

And now pig women. And pig transgenders.

Imagination is insanity that can be monetized.

And not just on eBay.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:56 pm

Ernest Cline

When it came to my research, I never took any shortcuts. Over the past five years, I’d worked my way down the entire recommended gunter reading list. Douglas Adams. Kurt Vonnegut. Neal Stephenson. Richard K. Morgan. Stephen King. Orson Scott Card. Terry Pratchett. Terry Brooks. Bester, Bradbury, Haldeman, Heinlein, Tolkien, Vance, Gibson, Gaiman, Sterling, Moorcock, Scalzi, Zelazny.

Of course your list [like your eggs] might be different.

You don’t live in the real world, Z. From what you've told me, I don’t think you ever have. You're like me. You live inside this illusion. She motioned to our virtual surroundings.

Next up: the real world illusions of the fulminating fanatic fascists.
Here for example.

I tried to remain skeptical. I reminded myself that I was a man of science, even if I did usually get a C in it.

Better than an F, he thought.

None of that had changed, or could be changed by anything as inconsequential as her gender, or skin color, or sexual orientation.

Tell that to the Nazis here.

I was staring out the classroom window and daydreaming of adventure when I spotted the flying saucer.

The first of an entire armada.

I knew there was probably life elsewhere. But given the vast size and age of the universe, I also knew how astronomically unlikely it was we would ever make contact with it, much less within the narrow window of my own lifetime. We were all probably stuck here for the duration, on the third rock from our sun. Boldly going extinct.

Still, he figured, better the third rock than the first, second or fourth.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:22 pm

Martin Scorsese

I've been thrown out of schools and fired from jobs. I don't want to work. I can honestly say I haven't done an honest day's work in my life.

Yep, another one rubbing it in.

Death comes in a flash, and that's the truth of it, the person's gone in less than 24 frames of film.

Virtually as it were.

The term 'giant' is used too often to describe artists. But in the case of Akira Kurosawa, we have one of the rare instances where the term fits.

For example, it fits for me.

You can be born-again and believe in Jesus, believe in Jesus' ideas and try to live them out, without becoming totally intolerant of other people.

Bullshit. Right Mr. Evangelist?

People want to classify and say, 'OK, this is a gangster film.' 'This is a Western.' 'This is a... ' You know? It's easy to classify and it makes people feel comfortable, but it doesn't matter, it doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, there's still, "this is a Hollywood film".

My whole life has been movies and religion. That's it. Nothing else.

No eating. No drinking. No trips to the toilet.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:27 pm

Werner Twertzog

I shot the sous chef, but I did not shoot the maître d'.

Let's call this the "B side".

Then how do you explain my cat’s fondness for Jimi Hendrix?

You know, going all the way back to a complete understanding of existence itself.

Extroverts are happier because, as all introverts know, they are stupid.

Now a scientific fact I'm told.

Rereading Cormac McCarthy for a pick-me-up.

The Road in particular.

Dear America: Your long, national nightmare is over. Now you can wake up to an even longer, global one.

Yo, Joker!

Dear Americans: You must never listen to recordings of the Trump era. I alone shall listen for you.

Would you have the guts to propose this?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:40 pm

Louise Glück

I pretended indifference…even in the presence of love, in the presence of hunger. And the more deeply I felt, the less able I was to respond.

No, really. For some this is an actual thing.

Birth, not death, is the hard loss.

Would you believe for some more than others?

As I saw it, all my mother's life, my father held her down, like lead strapped to her ankles. She was buoyant by nature; she wanted to travel, go to the theater, go to museums. What he wanted was to lie on the couch with the Times over his face, so that death, when it came, wouldn't seem a significant change.

Or, yeah, on occasion, it's the other way around.

Like a child, the earth's going to sleep, or so the story goes. But I'm not tired, it says. And the mother says, You may not be tired but I'm tired.

The father too. Only gruffer.

I had nothing and I was still changed. Like a costume, my numbness was taken away. Then hunger was added.

You know, the Gods.

I think I can remember being dead. Many times, in winter, I approached Zeus. Tell me, I would ask him, how can I endure the earth?

Someone run this by Fixed Jacob.
And Lord Saturn.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Louise Berliawsky Nevelson

True strength is delicate.

If not downright fragile.

I think most artists create out of despair. The very nature of creation is not a performing glory on the outside, it's a painful, difficult search within.

Like philosophy. You know, if you're me.

No matter how individual we humans are, we are a composite of everything we are aware of. We are a mirror of our times.

You still don't get that, do you? Or, more to the point [mine], you don't want to.

I always wanted to show the world that art is everywhere, except it has to pass through a creative mind.

So, beat it Kids.
Here too please.

I never feel age...If you have creative work you don't have age or time.

Tell that to the Grim Reaper.

I make collages. I join the shattered world creating a new harmony.

You tell me: https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... 42&bih=597

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:34 pm

Frank Gehry

Generally people are afraid. They pretend they aren’t; it’s part of the denial. We’re all part of it. As much as we pretend otherwise, we want what’s comfortable, and we’re afraid of the different. We’re afraid of change.

My guess: not just about Architecture.

Most of our cities built since the war are bland. They're modernist, they're cold, and now architects want to go back to that.

Yo, Ayn!
You're up!!

For me, every day is a new thing.

Not unlike, for example, all the rest of us.

Everybody's an artist. Unfortunately we don't treat them as such.

You know, like here, everyone's a philosopher. :lol:

In Tokyo, London or Los Angeles people go into McDonald's and the restaurants are identical and people are comfortable. It's unthreatening.

We need a McDonald's here then.

You have to do every detail on every bloody piece of the building. You have to know how the engineering works. You have to know how the fittings go together. You have to master the mechanical, electrical, acoustical - everything.

Lucky us then. It's all done with words.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat