a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Ruth Ware

People don’t change, Nina said bitterly. They just get more punctilious about hiding their true selves.

Or, as often as not, all the sloppier still.

A lie can outlast any truth.

Anyone here ever timed them?

Maybe that was closer to the truth--we weren't captor and captive, but two animals in different compartments of the same cage. Hers was just slightly larger.

As it should be.

It's not that Nina doesn't feel stuff. She just deals with it differently than most people. Sarcasm is her defense against life.

Me too. Only here I call it polemics.

Never believe it, Hal. Never believe your own lies.

Let alone the lies of others.

Some situations have no simple resolution; all we can do is steer the course that causes the least harm.

See, I told you. In fact, repeatedly.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:22 pm

Ezra Pound

A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him.

Not counting NXIVM of course.

Wars in old times were made to get slaves. The modern implement of imposing slavery is debt.

Hint, hint.

Democracy is now currently defined in Europe as a 'country run by Jews.'

Well, he was a fucking fascist.

I have never known anyone worth a damn who wasn't irascible.

True. Though not necessarily a fascist.

America is a lunatic asylum.

Well, it certainly is now.

The technique of infamy is to start two lies at once and get people arguing heatedly over which is the truth.

Not that anyone would do that here.
Or, rather, not counting the Kids and the fascists.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Gary Oldman

Being an actor is a good way to earn a living. And to meet fabulous people. It's great to live very comfortably.

Rubbing it in some might call it.
Well, if it weren't for the part I left out.

The thing a drama school can't give you is instinct. It can sharpen instinct but that can't be taught, and you have to have intuition. It's an essential ingredient.

And if you major in philosophy?

How do you remember all those lines? By forgetting everything else.

No, really, how do they?

I still don't have a publicist. If I'm in a film, you have an obligation to promote it, I'll do as much as I can.

Anyone have a publicist here?

Shakespeare doesn't really write subtext, you play the subtext.

Let's pick a play and explain this.

In the past, I’ve had my share of good reviews, but it’s always the crazy, scary, weirdo guy. I don’t even know how it happened. Look at me. I mean, when I’m naked, I look like a bald chicken. How did I get to be a scary bad guy?

Let's pick a role and explain this.
Starting with his face of course.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:48 pm

Nein

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It was as good a time as any to learn German. Classes at all levels start this week.

Scheiß drauf, er spottete.

If you need me, I’ll be denying my plausibility.

Aren't we all?

Hannah Arendt regrets to inform you: "I want nothing more to do with intellectuals."

Especially if they're Nazis, perhaps.

Fall. My favorite empire.

At least once a year.

I’m just here for the degradation of the discourse.

Or, for the Kids, spurring it on.

Sorry. You caught me at an unusual time in our country’s history.

Though soon to become the new normal.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Christopher Paolini

Ah, pay no heed if your enemies laugh. They'll not be able to once you lop off their heads.

Would that we could do that here, right?

I always say, better ask forgiveness than permission.

Me too. But we'll need a context of course.

Perhaps not one religion contains all of the truth of the world. Perhaps every religion contains fragments of the truth, and it is our responsibility to identify those fragments and piece them together.

Go to it then. And let us know how it all works out.

Those whom we most love are often the most alien to us.

Me, myself and I for example.

Mmm....she's doomed! You're doomed!! They're all doomed! Notice I didn't specify what kind of doom, so no matter what happens, I predicted it.

How chickenshit is that, he griped.

I'll fight when needed, revel when there's an occasion, mourn when there is grief and die if my time comes...But I will not let anyone use me against my will.

Right, like that's not just another manifestation of, oh, I don't know, dasein?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:12 pm

Werner Twertzog

Meanwhile US Republicans are faced with an ethical dilemma: distance themselves from their president’s race war or risk losing the racist voters.

Ethics stretched to the breaking point?

Dear “America”: Why did you not simply read The Art of the Deal?

We were all fools weren't we?

Proud Boys = Brown Shirts, as we all know.

Of course, for some, that's the good news.

Planetariums are important for introducing the next generation to Pink Floyd.

Sure, why not: https://youtu.be/EddyJTQYBYw

Evil does not require a motive: it rejoices in destruction for its own sake.

Their evil anyway.

Dear rich American douchebags: No one cares that a bunch of Sherpas carried you to the top of Everest. No one.

Well, even rich American douchebags have families and friends.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Edward O. Wilson

Every major religion today is a winner in the Darwinian struggle waged among cultures, and none ever flourished by tolerating its rivals.

Yo, Ierrellus!

Unfortunately a religious group defines itself foremost by its creation story, the supernatural narrative that explains how humans came into existence. And this story is also the heart of tribalism. No matter how gentle and high-minded, or subtly explained, the core belief assures its members that God favors them above all others. It teaches that members of other religions worship the wrong gods, use wrong rituals, follow false prophets, and believe fantastic creation stories. There is no way around the soul-satisfying but cruel discrimination that organized religions by definition must practice among themselves. I doubt there ever has been an imam who suggested that his followers try Roman Catholicism or a priest who urged the reverse.

Yo, Ierrellus!

The term “humanities” includes, but is not limited to, the study of the following: language, both modern and classical; linguistics; literature; history; jurisprudence; philosophy; archaeology; comparative religion; ethics; the history, criticism, and theory of the arts; those aspects of social sciences which have humanistic content and employ humanistic methods; and the study and application of the humanities to the human environment with particular attention to reflecting our diverse heritage, traditions, and history and to the relevance of the humanities to the current conditions of national life.

And there isn't an objectivist among us who has not nailed tham all down.

Is a universe of discrete material particles possible only with one specific set of natural laws and parameter values? In other words, does human imagination, which can conceive of other laws and values, thereby exceed possible existence?

And not just in a world of words.

It is quite simple: put passion ahead of training. Feel out in any way you can what you most want to do in science, or technology, or some other science-related profession. Obey that passion as long as it lasts.

Actually, it's no where near "quite simple".

...to get hold of the human condition, we need next a much broader definition of history than is conventionally used.

Unless, of course, defining it encompasses the problem.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Jean Cocteau

Mirrors should think longer before they reflect.

Let's train them.

The only way to kill death is through photography.

#-o

One must not mistake majority for truth.

Not counting our own of course.

I have not looked at a newspaper in twenty years; if one is brought into the room, I flee. This is not because I am indifferent but because one cannot follow every road.

Starting tomorrow, okay?

French people are Italian people in a bad mood.

Imagine then what that makes us.

Living is a horizontal fall.

What's that make dying then?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Helen Macdonald

Trained hawks have a peculiar ability to conjure history because they are in a sense immortal. While individual hawks of different species die, the species themselves remain unchanged. There are no breed or varieties, because hawks were never domesticated. The birds we fly today are identical to those of five thousand years ago. Civilisations rise and fall, but hawks stay the same. This gives falconry birds the ability to feel like relics from the distant past. You take a hawk onto your fist. You imagine the falconer of the past doing the same. It is hard not to feel it is the same hawk.

This sort of thinking has always struck me as moot. Why? Because the hawks themselves grasp none of it.

I know how to do this, I thought. I am good, at least, at this. I know all the steps to this dance.

We all have our own rendition of this. And it's no small thing.

In England Have My Bones White wrote one of the saddest sentences I have ever read: 'Falling in love is a desolating experience, but not when it is with a countryside.' He could not imagine a human love returned.

Me? I don't even have a countryside.

Because this story struck me as extraordinary, and it still does. Once upon a time there was a man in a spacesuit in a secret reconnaissance plane reading The Once and Future King, that great historical epic, that comic, tragic, romantic retelling of the Arthurian legend that tussles with questions of war and aggression, and might, and right, and the matter of what a nation is or might be.

Let's actually figure out what makes it extraordinary. You know, in this day and age.

The rarer they get, the fewer meanings animals can have. Eventually rarity is all they are made of. The condor is an icon of extinction. There's little else to it now but being the last of its kind. And in this lies the diminution of the world. How can you love something, how can you fight to protect it, if all it means is loss?

Another tree hugger, he griped.

There is a time in life when you expect the world to be always full of new things. And then comes a day when you realise that is not how it will be at all. You see that life will become a thing made of holes.

I've pinned this down to the day itself.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:14 am

Werner Twertzog

For decades, Americans responded to dog-whistle racism. Now they respond to just plain racism.

Now? Cue the megaphones.

The only way to get anything done in the United States is to violate everything that it purports to stand for, as we all know.

Unless of course you're a fucking idiot.

You have little to fear if I follow you. But you do not have nothing to fear.

So, start walking backwards.

Most American college faculty soon will pay for the opportunity to teach, as we all know.

I know that I would, he admitted.

Mortality shall cancel me soon enough.

And, eventually, all the rest of us.

2032: US Supreme Court has 33 members.

Not only that, but none of them white males.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Stendhal

The idea which tyrants find most useful is the idea of God.

Wow, who would have ever thought that?

A man may meet a woman and be shocked by her ugliness. Soon, if she is natural and unaffected, her expression makes him overlook the faults of her features. He begins to find her charming, it enters his head that she might be loved, and a week later he is living in hope. The following week he has been snubbed into despair, and the week afterwards he has gone mad.

Can this be made sense of?

Each man for himself in that desert of egoism which is called life.

Trust me: Some a hell of a lot drier than others.

The ordinary procedure of the nineteenth century is that when a powerful and noble personage encounters a man of feeling, he kills, exiles, imprisons or so humiliates him that the other, like a fool, dies of grief.

Or, one suspects, all the other centuries too.

The tyranny of public opinion (and what an opinion!) is as fatuous in the small towns of France as it is in the United States of America.

How do they say Kids in France?

An English traveller relates how he lived upon intimate terms with a tiger; he had reared it and used to play with it, but always kept a loaded pistol on the table.

What do you think, a metaphor for colonialism?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:40 pm

Existential Comics

Do I wish for anyone to die? Haha no…of course not.
It's just philosophically speaking, as a sort of thought experiment, if a deranged narcissistic fascist happened to hold the most powerful position on Earth, I believe it would be a good thing if that person were to die.

Hypothetically? Yeah, sure, me too.

What philosophers would say about Trump getting COVID-19:
Kant: "it is a violation of moral law to wish for anyone to die."
Bentham: "if his death causes greater happiness it would be good."
Marx: "LMAO bye bitch."

Let's compromise and go with Bentham here.

Yes, I believe in taking the moral high ground, much like John Brown did when he captured Harpers Ferry.

Ah, a historical reference.

So to clarify, the liberal position is that Biden owes us nothing but we absolutely must vote for him anyway because Trump is the second coming of Hitler, and he will dissolve democracy if he wins, and we hope he is doing well and lives a long and happy life?

Of course he's only paraphrasing Phil Ochs here.

If you are a religious person, make sure to take some time to pray for Trump.
Because right now millions of conservatives are praying for his recovery and we need as many prayers as we can get to counteract them.

Yo, God, what's it gonna be?

Yes, Leibniz thought this was the best of all possible worlds, but he didn't live to see, well...this.

Let alone what's to come.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:48 pm

Antonin Artaud

Written poetry is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead poets make way for others. Then we might even come to see that it is our veneration for what has already been created, however beautiful and valid it may be, that petrifies us.

Paul Simon best captured "intellectual contraptions" of this sort: https://youtu.be/nntOYUODSV0

We must wash literature off ourselves. We want to be men above all, to be human.

Same thing: https://youtu.be/nntOYUODSV0

Those who live, live off the dead.

Still, not many ways this can't be spun.

There are souls that are incurable and lost to the rest of society. Deprive them of one means of folly, they will invent ten thousand others. They will create subtler, wilder methods, methods that are absolutely desperate.

And, no, not just the particularly rabid Kids here.

So long as we have failed to eliminate any of the causes of human despair, we do not have the right to try to eliminate those means by which man tries to cleanse himself of despair.

Talk about a mission impossible!

I have need of angels. Enough hell has swallowed me for too many years. But finally understand this--I have burned up one hundred thousand human lives already, from the strength of my pain.

And then one day this all made sense to me.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:33 pm

Susanna Clarke

There must come a time when the bullets will run out.

Just not in our own lifetime, he figured.

Time and I have quarrelled. All hours are midnight now. I had a clock and a watch, but I destroyed them both. I could not bear the way they mocked me.

Midnight? How about the "wee hours" that come after?

Such nonsense, declared Dr Greysteel. Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!
Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner, said Strange. That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.

Mine did that. Though, I suspect, not on purpose.

I have a scholar's love of silence and solitude. To sit and pass hour after hour in idle chatter with a roomful of strangers is to me the worst sort of torment.

Figured thart out yet?

He hardly ever spoke of magic, and when he did it was like a history lesson and no one could bear to listen to him.

Better a history lesson than all the bullshit some come up with.

Well, I suppose one ought not to employ a magician and then complain that he does not behave like other people.

Let's explain the difference.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Doth

So you think you can escape your personal hell.

Well, there always one option.

If you’re friends with someone who is effortlessly beautiful all the time, that’s a demon. You’re friends with a demon.

So, what do you think, phoneutria, right? =D>

Name a more iconic duo than Edgar Allan Poe & that spooky raven bitch. I’ll wait.

Satyr and Lyssa?

Murder me in the library of a haunted mansion during a thunderstorm or don’t waste my fucking time.

Set the date.

All I ask for, every day, is to randomly stumble into a secret passage and to never be seen again.

Instead, every day, I end up here.

In honor of the fall equinox I will also be cold, distant & filled with darkness.

"Any season will do for me," he insisted.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:57 pm

Angelina Jolie

Every day we choose who we are by how we define ourselves.

Yep, that's still going around.

If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is.

Yo, Jon!

It's better to have nobody, than to have someone who is half there, or doesn't want to be there.

Yo, Brad?

When I was little, like Maleficent, I was told that I was different - and I felt out of place, and too loud, too full of fire, never good at sitting still, never good at fitting in. And then one day I realized something, something I hope you all realize. Different is good.

Just not my different.

When other little girls wanted to be ballet dancers...I wanted to be a vampire.

You tell me.

If I make a fool of myself, who cares? I'm not frightened by anyone's perception of me.

Sure, she might really mean it.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Ezra Pound

What matters is not the idea a man holds, but the depth at which he holds it.

My guess: for better or for worse. For example, the holocaust.

I guess the definition of a lunatic is a man surrounded by them.

Of course: The Oval Office!

Man is an over-complicated organism. If he is doomed to extinction he will die out for want of simplicity.

And things don't get much simpler than fascism.

The real trouble with modern war is that it gives no one a chance to kill the right people.

Hmm, I wonder who they are?

All my life I believed I knew something. But then one strange day came when I realized that I knew nothing, yes, I knew nothing. And so words became void of meaning. I have arrived too late at ultimate uncertainty.

Of course my spin here is a little different.

Wars are made to make debt.

Hunt, hint.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:46 pm

God

If Trump is unable to govern, then nothing will have changed.

God tells a joke. But, sure, take it seriously.

UPDATE: Doctors at Walter Reed say the President is “in hypocritical condition”.

God tells a joke. But, sure, take it seriously.

Revenge is a dish best served COVID.

God, the wag.

I've never gotten so many prayers from atheists in My life.

Yeah, He got one from me. But now Trump's back in the White House.

But 208,000 215,000 Americans were total wusses who lacked the gutsto beat Covid, right Kelly?!

Take her then, Lord, he prayed.

If he recovers I'm not sure I can.

So much for omnipotence...

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:44 pm

Gary Oldman

I applaud anything that can take a kid away from a PlayStation or a Gameboy. That is a miracle in itself.

Anyone here ever try philosophy?

To be honest, I'm a little tired of playing bad guys.

Unfortunately, he just doesn't look like a good guy. The only thing that counts in Hollywood.

You take what you know, and you put it through your own prism. If I play characters that break down or cry, it's Gary Oldman crying; it's not the character crying.

Let's try to imagine the equivalent of that here.

Political correctness has become a straightjacket.

Okay, okay, not just yours.

I don't go to premieres. I don't go to parties. I don't covet the Oscar. I don't want any of that. I don't go out. I just have dinner at home every night with my kids. Being famous, that's a whole other career. And I haven't got any energy for it.

Come on, he thought, what are the odds this is actually true.

At the Oscars, if you didn't vote for '12 Years a Slave' you were a racist.

Can a white man say this?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:53 pm

Charles Yu

...unfortunately, it's true: time does heal.

If you know what he means.

If I could be half the person my dog is, I'd be twice the human I am.

Examples, please.

Maybe we spend most of our decades being someone else, avoiding ourselves, maybe a man is only himself, his true self, for a few days in his entire life.

Or, for some of us, considerably less.

Sometimes when I'm brushing my teeth, I'll look at the mirror and I swear my reflection seems kind of disappointed. I realized a couple of years ago that not only am I not super-skilled at anything, I'm not even particularly good at being myself.

You know, if something like that would bother you.

At some point in your life, this statement will be true: tomorrow you will lose everything forever.

Let us know when it's you.

Failure is easy to measure. Failure is an event. Harder to measure is insignificance. A nonevent. Insignificance creeps, it dawns, it gives you hope, then delusion, then one day, when you’re not looking, it’s there, at your front door, on your desk, in the mirror, or not, not any of that, it’s the lack of all that. One day, when you are looking, it’s not looking, no one is. You lie in your bed and realize that if you don’t get out of bed and into the world today, it is very likely no one will even notice.

So, how insignificant are you? And why does that even matter?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:12 pm

God

Kayleigh has it. Retweet if you agree.

She deserves to. Post if you agree.

I know I'm tweeting a lot right now. It's just that I'm very, very, very, very, very concerned.

But no less omnipotent?

There's never been a better time to be stupid.

Yo, Kids! You're saved!!

For the most intelligent species on the planet, you sure are the least intelligent species on the planet.

Next up: all the other planets.

The main difference between organized religion and organized crime is that organized crime has better food.

A hell of a lot better.

tried, brave pigeon.
You tried.

l'll Google it for you: https://www.complex.com/life/2020/09/mi ... -hampshire

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Edward O. Wilson

The origin of the human condition is best explained by the natural selection for social interaction—the inherited propensities to communicate, recognize, evaluate, bond, cooperate, compete, and from all these the deep warm pleasure of belonging to your own special group.

Often used to rationalize, among other things, racism, sexism and heterosexism.

Nature is the birthright of everyone on Earth. The millions of species we have allowed to survive are our phylogenetic kin. Their long-term history is our long-term history. Despite all our fantasies and pretensions, we always have been and will remain a biological species tied to this particular biological world.

Well, now that we've cleared this up...?

By 1998, members of the United States National Academy of Sciences, an elite elected group sponsored by the federal government, were approaching complete atheism. Only 10 percent testified to a belief in either God or immortality. Among them were a scant 2 percent of the biologists. In modern civilizations, there is no overwhelming importance in the general populace to belong to an organized religion.

Next up: by 2020. Anyone here willing to track down those stats?

To give in completely to the instinctual urgings born from individual selection would be to dissolve society. At the opposite extreme, to surrender to the urgings from group selection would turn us into angelic robots—the outsized equivalents of ants.

I know, I know, but where in between?

In a nutshell, individual selection favors what we call sin and group selection favors virtue. The result is the internal conflict of conscience that afflicts all but psychopaths, estimated fortunately to make up only 1 to 4 percent of the population.

Let's squabble over where we think each of us fits in here.
Go ahead, start with me.

If the heuristic and analytic power of science can be joined with the introspective creativity of the humanities, human existence will rise to an infinitely more productive and interesting meaning.

:lol:
Unless of course I'm wrong.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Jean Cocteau

Nothing ever gets anywhere. The earth keeps turning round and gets nowhere. The moment is the only thing that counts.

And, over time, there are trillions and trillions of them getting nowhere.

If a poet has a dream, it is not of becoming famous, but of being believed.

Hmm, you'd think it might have been to be understood.

Beauty cannot be recognized with a cursory glance.

Why not if it's only skin deep?

Art is a marriage of the conscious and the unconscious.

You know, like almost everything else.

An artist cannot speak about his art any more than a plant can discuss horticulture.

Really, come on, who on earth would go that far? So, point taken maybe.

The prettiest dresses are worn to be taken off.

All my clothes are.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:06 pm

tiny nietzsche

thus vibed zarathustra

Remember when it was, "thus grooved zarathustra"?

depth comes for everybody

Come on, the Kids?!

all the president's drugs

In alphabetical order. Starting with bleach.

all I want for christmas is a reduction in the level of existential threats

So, don't forget to vote!

I have tested positive for schadenfreude

Me? A false negative.

dexamethasone is a pretty name for a steroid

Define pretty?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:35 pm

all the president's drugs

In alphabetical order. Starting with bleach.

:lol:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat