a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Kelly Link

You have to salvage what you can, even if you're the one who buried it in the first place.

For example, the life you live.

You get a lot of narrative energy from people who make really big mistakes, who act against their best interests, who do things that turn out to have serious consequences. It's very hard make a story out of people doing the right thing over and over again.

Not counting my own take on this of course.

Look. All books are weird when you think about it.... It goes without saying that real life is also weird.

So, is this a fact?

I don't think I'm cut out for a job where you have to look professionally tidy. I prefer working in my pajamas and taking showers after lunch.

Cue the pandemic?

Sometimes it is safer to read maps with your feet.

Anyone able to confirm this?

It's very unlikely that a writer is going to make a living by writing. So then the question is: how do you balance work, life, and writing? If you find out, please tell me.

Or, grimmer still: It's very unlikely that a philosopher is going to make a living by philosophizing. So then the question is: how do you balance work, life, and philosophy? If you find out, please tell me.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Ram Dass

The final awakening is the embracing of the darkness into the light. That means embracing our humanity as well as our divinity. What we go from is being born into our humanity, sleep walking for a long time, until we awaken and start to taste our divinity. And then want to finally get free.

We see as long as we grab at our divinity and push away our humanity we aren’t free. If you want to be free, you can’t push away anything. You have to embrace it all. It’s all God.

It never ceases to amaze me what the human mind is actually capable of believing. Well, after reminding myself I once believed things like this myself.

Now is now. Are you going to be here or not?

Try not to be.

The universe is made up of experiences that are designed to burn out your attachment, your clinging, to pleasure, to pain, to fear, to all of it. And as long as there is a place where you’re vulnerable, the universe will find a way to confront you with it.

It's a good thing then that the self is just an illusion.

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth.

I have truly come to loathe platitudinous "thinking" of this sort. No doubt because I am no longer able to think like this myself.
And then it only gets worse with these guys:

If you want to cure the world, don't emanate fear - emanate love.

Love of what? Guns? Homosexuality? Animal rights? Small government? Nazis?

If I'm going to die, the best way to prepare is to quiet my mind and open my heart. If I'm going to live, the best way to prepare for it is to quiet my mind and open my heart.

Though not necessarily in that order.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Doth

Keep others afraid of you by calling Fall “the harvest.”

Either that or "the second wave".

Normalize sending politicians to prison.

All of them? Sure, fuck it, why not.

Normalize sending politicians to the guillotine.

All of them? Sure, fuck it, why not.

The excruciating pain of this mortal coil lightens, just a little, when you pet a dog.

Not counting the yappers of course.

My body isn’t a temple, it’s at best a decaying old cabin with a horrifying backstory.

Next up: at its worst.

If you come across a woman in the woods wearing black lace & her mouth is covered in blood, you can trust her.

You know, a little.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:56 pm

Jeffrey Eugenides

All wisdom ends in paradox.

Let's make it the other way around.

...our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.

Sort of what some do here. Or, rather, think they do.

Capitalism has resulted in material well-being but spiritual bankruptcy.

Material well-being for who?

I'd like to show how 'intimations of mortality brought on by aging family members' connects with 'the hatred of mirrors that begins in middle age'.

So, did he?

One of the reasons that art is important to me is sometimes it actually feels more coherent than life.

Here of course it's all about the words.

A seven-year-old girl can take only so many walks with her grandfather.

Let's not go there, he thought.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:56 pm

Akwaeke Emezi

You want many things, you are full of want, carved out of it, made from it, yes. But the truth does not care about what you want, the truth is what it is. It is not moved by want, it is not a blade of grass to be bent by the wind of your hopes and desires.

Wow, what if that was actually true!

The worst part of embodiment is being unseen.

You wouldn't think so, would you?

We're afraid for you, they said. It's like you're on this thin line between being alive and being dead, like one small shift could send you either direction.

Or, sure, they couldn't care less.

If nobody sees you, are you still there?

You know, if that actually matters to you.

Your knowing, you think it gives you clarity, sight that pierces. It can be a cloud, a thing that obscures.

Not unlike your not knowing.

He loves them as a god does, which is to say, with a taste for suffering.

Cue the next genocide.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:29 pm

God

Masks inhibit freedom the same way lifejackets inhibit drowning.

And not just in Heaven.

I've made big weekend plans, which means you shouldn't.

Finally!

I have a plan for you, and in nearly all cases it involves cruelty, injustice and pointless suffering.

Let's file this one under, "business as usual".

Someone do something.

And coming from Him no less!

In an ideal scenario the President of the United States and the worst human being in the world would be two different people.

Yo, Wendy, is that a fact?

The best way to stop people from protesting a bad thing is to stop doing the bad thing.

Your bad things He means.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Grace Paley

Write what will stop your breath if you don’t write.

No, seriously, what the hell is that?
But point taken.

Everyone, real or invented, deserves the open destiny of life.

Anyone invented here care to comment?

You write from what you know but you write into what you don't know.

The stuff from the future, for example.

My language limitations here are real. My vocabulary is adequate for writing notes and keeping journals but absolutely useless for an active moral life. If I really knew this language, there would surely be in my head, as there is in Webster's or the Dictionary of American Slang, that unreducible verb designed to tell a person like me what to do next.

Probably not an objectivist then, is she?

The wrong word is like a lie jammed inside the story.

Dasein, right?

To translate a poem from thinking into English takes all night.

Imagine then a whole philosophy.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:05 pm

Henri Barbusse

I keep remembering — I keep remembering. My heart has no pity on me.

Much less our brains.

It was suicide. Others killed themselves with poison or with a revolver. I killed myself with minutes and hours.

Millions of them so far.

I am more sensitive than other people. Things that other people would not notice awaken a distinct echo in me, and in such moments of lucidity, when I look at myself, I see that I am alone, all alone, all alone.

Me too. Why? Just lucky I guess.

Yes, there is a Divinity, one from which we must never turn aside for the guidance of our huge inward life and of the share we have as well in the life of all men. It is called the truth.

Or, if you prefer, the lie.

All lovers in the world are alike: they fall in love by chance; they see each other, and are attached to each other by the features of their faces; they illuminate each other by the fierce preference which is akin to madness; they assert the reality of illusions; and for a moment they change falsehood into truth.

Sure, let's be optimistic about it.

There is no hell, no inferno except the frenzy of living.

Or the lack thereof.

I see too deep and too much.

I taught him that. You know, in another lifetime.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 pm

tiny nietzsche

I fought your mom and your mom won

Next up: Mom explains why.

remember consequences?

So, don't forget to vote!

a sadness only a morrissey could love

You tell me: https://youtu.be/__PblMAprcA

back on my dionysian shit

Never left mine.

now get back to grinding for the capitalists

Like you have any other choice, wage slaves.

missed connection.
me: at the bookstore in the philosophy section
you: rejecting religious and moral principles in the belief that life is meaningless

Supannika!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Christian Bale

You have to treat yourself like a mushroom to some degree, in order to keep on discovering things.

No, really, you tell me what he means.
Said it here too: https://twitter.com/thebaleworld/status ... 2559818752

Sometimes the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people have got to have their faith rewarded.

And there's not much some won't swallow in pursuit of this.

Being misunderstood is not a bad thing as an actor. I know the truth.

And "as a philosopher"?

It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me.

He wondered: How many here pretty much do little more than post here?

I feel like I'm pretty good but I don't like to toot my own horn, you know. I want to let the work speak for itself and kind of move on to the next thing.

Hell, I'll toot it for him. Here for example: https://youtu.be/H0fuHY4U1UA

And I not only inherited an aversion to the nine-to-five routine, but the sense from my parents that being bored and boring is the worst thing that you can be.

"Something to shoot for" let's call it.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Caleb Carr

We set out on the trail of a murderous monster and ended up face to face with a frightened child.

Not that it can't actually be the other way around. Right, Kids?

...you cannot objectify the subjective, you cannot generalize the specific...

Let's do it anyway, right Kids?

Stronger than lover’s love is lover’s hate.

Next thing you know, you're a Dateline episode.

The country that manufactures nothing, ran the old saying in such towns, eventually becomes nothing.

Unless of course you count the military industrial complex.

It isn’t really possible for men to understand how much the world doesn’t want women to be complete people. The most important thing a woman can be, in our society—more important, even, than honest or decent—is identifiable.

After all, he thought, look at some of the assholes here.

We’re all still running, according to Kreizler—in our private moments we Americans are running just as fast and fearfully as we were then, running away from the darkness we know to lie behind so many apparently tranquil household doors, away from the nightmares that continue to be injected into children’s skulls by people whom Nature tells them they should love and trust, running ever faster and in ever greater numbers toward those potions, powders, priests, and philosophies that promise to obliterate such fears and nightmares, and ask in return only slavish devotion.

And that was back in 1896!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:12 pm

tiny nietzsche

I got a new prescription for my glasses and I can see now everything is much worse

Or, for some here [of course], much better.

yeah sure sex is great but have you ever lived without fear?

Come on, really, which would you choose?

go ahead and murder me, I'll wait

For godot if nothing else.

I am human and I need to be ignored just like everybody else does

Yo, Morrissey!

Pumpkin spice always reminds me of autumn and the orchard where we buried the infected

For you of course it might be something else.

my horoscope just went to voicemail

Explain that, Jacob!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Lol.. I can relate to some of those ironies.. always have.

I might start adding one or two here, myself, but only one or two.. I’m obviously not that ironic yet. :P
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby iambiguous » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:39 pm

E.O. Wilson

Humanity is part of nature, a species that evolved among other species. The more closely we identify ourselves with the rest of life, the more quickly we will be able to discover the sources of human sensibility and acquire the knowledge on which an enduring ethic, a sense of preferred direction, can be built.

This is more or less Satyr's argument over at KT. Genes first, then memes. If memes at all. And it may in fact well be considerably more rational than he and his ilk are able to convey it.

Human existence may be simpler than we thought. There is no predestination, no unfathomed mystery of life. Demons and gods do not vie for our allegiance. Instead, we are self-made, independent, alone, and fragile, a biological species adapted to live in a biological world.

This is more or less Satyr's argument over at KT. Genes first, then memes. If memes at all. And it may in fact well be considerably more rational than he and his ilk are able to convey it.

Human nature is deeper and broader than the artificial contrivance of any existing culture.

All my life I have placed great store in civility and good manners, practices I find scarce among the often hard-edged, badly socialized scientists with whom I associate. Tone of voice means a great deal to me in the course of debate. I despise the arrogance and doting self-regard so frequently found among the very bright.

On the other hand -- being but naked apes -- how can this be more reflective of genes than memes?

It often occurs to me that if, against all odds, there is a judgmental God and heaven, it will come to pass that when the pearly gates open, those who had the valor to think for themselves will be escorted to the head of the line, garlanded, and given their own personal audience.

Among other things: :!: :!: :!:

Would I be happy if I discovered that I could go to heaven forever? And the answer is no. Consider this argument. Think about what is forever. And think about the fact that the human mind, the entire human being, is built to last a certain period of time. Our programmed hormonal systems, the way we learn, the way we settle upon beliefs, and the way we love are all temporary. Because we go through a life's cycle. Now, if we were to be plucked out at the age of 12 or 56 or whenever, and taken up and told, "Now you will continue your existence as you are. We're not going to blot out your memories. We're not going to diminish your desires." You will exist in a state of bliss - whatever that is - forever. [...] Now think, a trillion times a trillion years. Enough time for universes like this one to be born, explode, form countless star systems and planets, then fade away to entropy. You will sit there watching this happen millions and millions of times and that will be just the beginning of the eternity that you've been consigned to bliss in this existence.

Maybe, but I'd take my chances with it anyway. Bliss, after all, is bliss.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Louis-Ferdinand Celine

Truth is a pain which will not stop. And the truth of this world is to die. You must choose: either dying or lying. Personally, I have never been able to kill myself.

Lying it is then. Sorry, Immanuel.

Philosophizing is simply one way of being afraid, a cowardly pretense that doesn't get you anywhere.

So, sure, by all means, stay up in the fucking clouds.

All that makes a lunatic are the very ordinary ideas of mankind shut up inside a man's head.

That or a "condition".

I crawled back into myself all alone, just delighted to observe that I was even more miserable than before, because I had brought a new kind of distress and something that resembled true feeling into my solitude.

True feeling. Tell me about that.

The beginning of genius is being scared shitless.

The beginning of lots of things.

That is perhaps what we seek throughout life, that and nothing more, the greatest possible sorrow so as to become fully ourselves before dying.

On the other hand, what the fuck?!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:53 pm

so sad today

hope is the first step to disappointment

Let's hope that's not true.

i want you more when you don't want me dot com

Sure, why not.

i feel exhausted by everything and i’m not even doing anything

Unless of course you're not doing it more and more.

can't decide if i'm alive

Pinch yourself?

emotional depth isn’t for everyone

Besides, what the hell does that even mean?

self-delusion is my longest relationship

Cue "I" and get back to us.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 pm

Helen Macdonald

There is a time in life when you expect the world to be always full of new things. And then comes a day when you realise that is not how it will be at all. You see that life will become a thing made of holes. Absences. Losses. Things that were there and are no longer. And you realise, too, that you have to grow around and between the gaps...

Just not your life, right?

We carry the lives we've imagined as we carry the lives we have, and sometimes a reckoning comes of all the lives we have lost.

Let's definitely not go there, he insisted.

Here’s a word. Bereavement. Or, Bereaved. Bereft. It’s from the Old English bereafian, meaning ‘to deprive of, take away, seize, rob’. Robbed. Seized. It happens to everyone. But you feel it alone. Shocking loss isn’t to be shared, no matter how hard you try.

Of course here there's another word. You know the one.

The hawk was everything I wanted to be: solitary, self-possessed, free from grief, and numb to the hurts of human life.

On the other hand, does the hawk know that?

I think of what wild animals are in our imaginations. And how they are disappearing — not just from the wild, but from people’s everyday lives, replaced by images of themselves in print and on screen. The rarer they get, the fewer meanings animals can have. Eventually rarity is all they are made of. The condor is an icon of extinction. There’s little else to it now but being the last of its kind. And in this lies the diminution of the world. How can you love something, how can you fight to protect it, if all it means is loss?

A "tree hugger" right?

When you are learning how to do something, you do not have to worry about whether or not you are good at it. But when you have done something, have learned how to do it, you are not safe any more. Being an expert opens you up to judgement.

Or, here, you can always fall back on being a Kid.
Or having a "condition".

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:18 pm

Paul Celan

Reality is not simply there, it does not simply exist: it must be sought out and won.

What doesn't that explain? Aside from most things.

Only one thing remained reachable, close and secure amid all losses: language. Yes, language. In spite of everything, it remained secure against loss.

A poet? Of course!

...who is invisible enough to see you...

Besides Curly?

They've healed me to pieces.

You know what I call this, don't you?

The heart hid still in the dark, hard as the Philosophers Stone.

This thing apparently: https://youtu.be/K2dQGE9-8D8

There's nothing in the world for which a poet will give up writing, not even he is a Jew and the language of his poems is German.

Comments? Criticisms? Conclusions?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:37 pm

so sad today

let's binge-watch our lives being flushed down the toilet

Yours first, okay?

the sexual tension between me and sleep

In bed together no less.

listen, it’s not my job to like me

And there's no point in hiring you.

i have difficulty expressing my feelings except to the whole internet

Of course here we're more...circumspect?

i’ve always hated my birthday especially the first one

Some even go back to conception itself.

stupidity is a very important part of humanity

And, no, not just starting with the Kids. That's just where I start.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Billy Wilder

Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else's.

Not only that, but dasein in now on the back burner.

If you're going to tell people the truth, be funny or they'll kill you.

Thank god they only "foe" you here.

You have to have a dream so you can get up in the morning.

Either that or a drawer full of distractions.

An audience is never wrong. An individual member of it may be an imbecile, but a thousand imbeciles together in the dark - that is critical genius.

Let's explain the equivalent of that here.

Ah, Marilyn, Hollywood's Joan of Arc, our Ultimate Sacrificial Lamb. Well, let me tell you, she was mean, terribly mean. The meanest woman I have ever known in this town. I am appalled by this Marilyn Monroe cult. Perhaps it's getting to be an act of courage to say the truth about her. Well, let me be courageous. I have never met anyone as utterly mean as Marilyn Monroe.

Yo, Elton!
You know, among others.

If there's anything I hate more than not being taken seriously, it's being taken too seriously.

That's why Aristotle invented the "Golden Mean".

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Georg Buchner

The life of the wealthy is one long Sunday.

Okay, but only up until the day they die.

Murder begins where self-defense ends.

Providing of course you get caught.

Whoever finishes a revolution only halfway, digs his own grave.

A well deserved one.

The world is chaos. Nothingness is the yet-to-be-born god of the world.

You know, rounding it off.

Man is an abyss, and I turn giddy when I look down into it.

Let's just say giddy and other things.

Revolution is like Saturn, it devours its own children.

No, I suspect, not the one with the rings.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“Only the refusal to listen guarantees one against being ensnared by the truth.” Robert Nozick

I'll hazard a guess here: his truth.

"Enlightened people seldom or never possess a sense of responsibility. " George Orwell

Well, they are, after all, an illusion.

“When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when a tiger wants to murder him he calls it ferocity.” George Bernard Shaw

Let's blame it on evolution.

"Respect for the truth comes close to being the basis for all morality." Frank Herbert

Let's cue iambiguous here. :wink:

“Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.” John Rawls

Sounds more like something Richard Rorty might have said.

“Many of our most serious conflicts are conflicts within ourselves. Those who suppose their judgements are always consistent are unreflective or dogmatic.” John Rawls

See, I told you.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:14 pm

Akwaeke Emezi

Monsters don't look like anything. That's the whole point. That's the whole problem.

Or here: Kids don't look like anything. That's the whole point. That's the whole problem.

Look, I was a hungry shade, nothing more. I latched onto the men, and their energy felt like sticky fruit sliding between my fingers. and when we were done, I was still hungry. And after the next time. I was still hungry. And after the one after that one, I was still hungry. I would have drowned them all. I would have inched slowly over their bodies, dipped my fingers inside their throats and ripped out sounds. I filled their bed with secrets. Ada was right- I found pleasure in evil. I did many things in hunger that could be misconstrued.

Yet one more rendition of "human all too human".

It's basically the same thing, she said. I didn't have anyone to hold me and now I don't have anyone to kill me. You'd think he'd come through on at least one of these points.

Next up: His side of the story.

In the meantime, the angels banned firearms, not just because of the school shootings but also because of the kids who shot themselves and their families at home; the civilians who thought they could shoot people who didn’t look like them, just because they got mad or scared or whatever, and nothing would happen to them because the old law liked them better than the dead.

Next up: God, Heaven and the Second Amendment.

We came from somewhere—everything does. When the transition is made from spirit to flesh, the gates are meant to be closed. It’s a kindness. It would be cruel not to.

Well, in the best of all possible worlds, anyway.

Think of brief insanities that are in you, not just the ones that blossomed as you grew into taller, more sinful versions of yourself, but the ones you were born with, tucked behind your liver.

More likely to be tucked smack dab in the middle of your brain, right?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Grace Paley

I drank a little California Mountain Red at home and thought--why not--wherever you turn someone is shouting give me liberty or I give you death. Perfectly sensible, thing-owning, Church-fearing neighbours flop their hands over their ears at the sound of a siren to keep fallout from taking hold of their internal organs. You have to be cockeyed to love, and blind in order to look out the window at your own ice-cold street.

Or something very close to this.

Who cares? said Judy, who didn't care.

At least it's either one or the other.

I got up and went into the library to see how much I owed them. The librarian said $32 even and you've owed it for eighteen years. I didn't deny anything. Because I don't understand how time passes. I have had those books. I have often thought of them. The library is only two blocks away.

We'll need to know the titles of the books of course.

‏Don’t live with a lover or roommate who doesn’t respect your work.

Uh, no shit?

Whatever you do, life don't stop.

Anyone here know why?

My dear, no one knows the power of good sense. It hasn’t been built up or experimented with sufficiently.

On the other hand, what's that next to the power of bad sense.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“I had to philosophize. Otherwise, I could not live in this world.” Edmund Husserl

This explains some of us, sure.

“Merely fact-minded sciences make merely fact-minded people.” Edmund Husserl

This explains some of us, sure.

"Nothing exists except through language.” Hans-Georg Gadamer

Cue, among others, the "serious philosophers". Here, for example.

“What cannot be said above all must not be silenced but written.” Jacques Derrida

And then deconstructed into...what exactly?

“I speak only one language, and it is not my own.” Jacques Derrida

At the time he may or may not have meant it. Just as, here and now, you may or may not understand what he may or may not have meant.

"History is indeed little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind.” Edward Gibbon

And it's still no less written by the winners.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat