a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:37 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“Intelligence is measured by a person's ability to see validity within both sides of contradicting arguments.” F. Scott Fitzgerald

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

“The fundament upon which all our knowledge and learning rests is the inexplicable.” Arthur Schopenhauer

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

"Art is not a mirror held up to reality but a hammer with which to shape it." Bertolt Brecht

What's that make philosophy then?

"Don’t be afraid of death so much as an inadequate life.” Bertolt Brecht

He means both of course.

“The pendulum of the mind oscillates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong.” C.G. Jung

Yo, Stooges!

“Postulates are based on assumption and adhered to by faith. Nothing in the Universe can shake them.” Isaac Asimov

So, do robots have postulates then?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:23 pm

Antonio Gramsci

The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born.

So, don't forget to vote!

Man is above all else mind, consciousness -- that is, he is a product of history, not of nature.

Yo, Satyr!

Before puberty the child's personality has not yet formed and it is easier to guide its life and make it acquire specific habits of order, discipline, and work.

You know, I think he was on to something...important?

How many times have I wondered if it is really possible to forge links with a mass of people when one has never had strong feelings for anyone, not even one's own parents: if it is possible to have a collectivity when one has not been deeply loved oneself by individual human creatures. Hasn't this had some effect on my life as a militant--has it not tended to make me sterile and reduce my quality as a revolutionary by making everything a matter of pure intellect, of pure mathematical calculation?

Trust me, Kids, this is well beyond your level of comprehension.

Revolutionaries see history as a creation of their own spirit, as being made up of a continuous series of violent tugs at the other forces of society - both active and passive, and they prepare the maximum of favourable conditions for the definitive tug -- revolution.

Next up: Reactionaries.

Common sense is the folklore of philosophy.

In other words, for better or worse.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:16 pm

Louis Althusser

Ideology represents the imaginary relationship of individuals to their real conditions of existence.

Not unlike morality.

In truth, ideology has very little to do with 'consciousness', even supposing this term to have an unambiguous meaning. It is profoundly unconscious, even when it presents itself in a reflected form.

In truth. Right.

Philosophy is, in the last instance, class struggle in the field of theory.

And in the first instance?

The ultimate condition of production is therefore the reproduction of the conditions of production.

By, among things, reproducing ourselves.

If someone asks, ‘But what in the end is a philosopher?’ I would say ‘A philosopher is a human being who fights in theory.’

And you don't get much more serious that that. Or, rather, they don't.

Occasionally, the whole class struggle may be summed up in the struggle for one word against another word. Certain words struggle amongst themselves as enemies. Other words are the site of an ambiguity: the stake in a decisive but undecided battle.

Guess where I come in.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“Hell isn't other people." Ludwig Wittgenstein

Ludwig slips up.

I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves." Ludwig Wittgenstein

Let alone playing word games.

"The most striking difference between ancient and modern sophists is that the ancients were satisfied with a passing victory of the argument at the expense of truth, whereas the moderns want a more lasting victory at the expense of reality." Hannah Arendt

"Mr. Sophist, meet Mr. Objectivist."

"Mathematics takes us into the region of absolute necessity, to which not only the actual word, but every possible word, must conform." Bertrand Russell

You know, as some here believe of moral and political value judgments.

“It is the preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly.” Bertrand Russell

Your possessions, not mine.

“We are in the hands of men whose power and wealth have separated them from the reality of daily life and from the imagination. We are right to be afraid.” Grace Paley

Imagine then her reaction to Trumpworld.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:45 pm

Louis-Ferdinand Celine

I have never voted in my life... I have always known and understood that the idiots are in a majority so it's certain they will win.

Too cynical...or still not cynical enough?

An Immense hatred keeps me alive... i would live for a thousand years if i were certain of seeing the whole world croak.

I used to be that affable myself.

I piss on you all from a considerable height.

I used to be that affable myself.

Our journey is entirely imaginary. That is its strength.

Except, perhaps, the agonizing parts.

You can lose your way groping among the shadows of the past. It's frightening how many people and things there are in a man's past that have stopped moving. The living people we've lost in the crypts of time sleep so soundly side by side with the dead that the same darkness envelops them all. As we grow older, we no longer know whom to awaken, the living or the dead.

Or just flip the fucking coin.

So many vaginas, stomachs, cocks, snouts, and flies you don't know what to do with them ... shovelsfull! ... but hearts? ... very rare! in the last five hundred million years too many cocks and gastric tubes to count ... but hearts? ... on your fingers!

Well, if you count your thumb.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:31 pm

Ottessa Moshfegh

Dudes reading Nietzsche on the subway, reading Proust, reading David Foster Wallace, jotting down their brilliant thoughts into a black Moleskine pocket notebook.

And the Dude, himself?

I can imagine myself saying at the time that life itself was like a book borrowed from the library—something that did not belong to me and was due to expire.

For example, any day now.

Maybe they understood, in fact, that beauty and meaning had nothing to do with one another.

Or, as Elena once put it: “In the beginning there was Beauty. Then we tried to define it.”

Daily meditation has been shown to cure insomnia in rats.

Next up: rats discuss dasein.

Soon, I'd be home again. Soon, God willing, I'd be asleep.

I guess we’ll never know.

He put the skull in a pocket of his cargo shorts and left.

Well, they were cargo shorts.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“Order and simplification are the first steps toward mastery of a subject -- the actual enemy is the unknown.” Thomas Mann

So, sure, think that out of existence.

“They can because they think they can.” Virgil

Or they can't because, well, they can't.

“Rules of taste enforce structures of power.” Susan Sontag

Or, today, in Trumpworld, tastelessness.

"What if truth is like a woman - what then?" Nietzsche

On the other hand, had he ever been laid?

“We are most likely to get angry and excited in our opposition to some idea when we ourselves are not quite certain of our own position, and are inwardly tempted to take the other side” Thomas Mann

See, I told you. You know, if it's true.

"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence." Nikola Tesla

So, what do you think, any day now?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:41 pm

Ram Dass

The game is not about becoming somebody, it's about becoming nobody.

You know, if it is a game.

Souls love. That’s what souls do. Egos don’t, but souls do.

Or: Souls hate.
But, no, of course not, right?

Our journey is about being more deeply involved in life, and yet less attached to it.

Let's file this one under, "things that souls say".

If you think you’re enlightened go spend a week with your family.

Or, better still, bring your family here.

Faith is what is left after all your beliefs have been blown to hell.

All that's left then is the actual leap.

I would like my life to be a statement of love and compassion.

And still be an illusion of course.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:31 pm

Jeffrey Eugenides

We couldn't imagine the emptiness of a creature who put a razor to her wrists and opened her veins, the emptiness and the calm.

I can imagine it. And I've got the scar to prove it.

I saw the movie, he said. I know what it's about. Listen to this. When girls get to be about twelve or so -- he leaned toward us -- their tits bleed.

Next up: when boys get to be about twelve.

We realized that the version of the world they rendered for us was not the version of the world they really believed in.

And not just evangelical preachers.

In the end, the tortures tearing the Lisbon girls pointed to a simple reasoned refusal to accept the world as it was handed down to them, so full of flaws.

And assholes.

Historical fact: People stopped being people in 1913. That was the year Henry Ford put his cars on rollers and made his workers adopt the speed of the assembly line. At first, workers rebelled. They quit in droves, unable to accustom their bodies to the new pace of the age.

Let's call this, "the alienation of labor".

In the end we had the pieces of the puzzle, but no matter how we put them together, gaps remained, oddly shaped emptinesses mapped by what surrounded them, like countries we couldn't name.

Let alone their capitals.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"Wit is the sudden marriage of ideas which before their union were not perceived to have any relation." Mark Twain

Like Santa Claus and God.

“Being the rational animal, man must be capable of thinking if he really wants to. Still, it may be that man wants to think, but cannot.” Martin Heidegger

Me, right?

“Only he who already understands can listen.” Martin Heidegger

I propose a context then.

“The possible ranks higher than the actual.” Martin Heidegger

For example, "in your head".

"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious". Oscar Wilde

Yo, Kids!

“An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.” Oscar Wilde

Yo, iambiguous!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Akwaeke Emezi

Bitter knew her name was heavy but she hadn't minded because it was honest. That was something she'd taught Jam - that a lot of things were manageable as long as they were honest. You could see things clearly if they were honest; you could decide what to do next, because you knew exactly what you were dealing with.

Next up: Bitter in the is/ought world.

It was hard to keep secrets; you had to keep track of them, regulate how they moved through your body, make sure they didn't swerve and jump out of your mouth.

Secrets, meet lies.

But it is only a fool who does not know that freedom is paid for in old clotted blood, in fresh reapings of it, in renewed scarifications.

For example, historically.

Good and innocent, they not the same thing; they don't wear the same face.

Consider for instance innocent Germans during world War II. And consider the guilty ones perspective on good.

You had to see Pet to accept that it was real in this world; the telling would never be enough. Words are never enough for a lot of things.

On the other hand, for some here, words are never not good enough.

Some people can’t see softness without wanting to hurt it.

Let's call them fascists. Or Kids.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:24 pm

Clarice Lispector

For one has the right to shout. So, I am shouting.

Looks like you're absolved, Kids.

Reality prior to my language exists as an unthinkable thought. . . . life precedes love, bodily matter precedes the body, and one day in its turn language shall have preceded possession of silence.

For some, it can't come too soon.

I ask myself: is every story that has ever been written in this world, a story of suffering and affliction?

My guess: probably not.
Anyone here know for sure?

I write and that way rid myself of me and then at last I can rest.

He wondered why that never, ever worked for him.

I write to save someone's life, probably my own.

Me too. So far anyway.

Facts and particulars annoy me.

Unless, of course, you make up your own.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:19 pm

sad socrates

Could have told you 5,000 years ago that everything is fake.

Of course that would include this too.

I looked in the mirror and the mirror got scared.

Why wouldn't it?

I got reinfected by life.

Not unlike all the rest of us I suspect.

This apocalypse is boring.

So, don't forget to vote!

Time keeps happening to me.

On the other hand, as we all know, give it time.

If you suspect you’re real, call your local philosophy department.

Ask them to turn you into an intellectual contraption. :wink:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:19 pm

Grace Paley

Let us go forth with fear and courage and rage to save the world.

Or, having tried that and failed, destroy it.

There is a long time in me between knowing and telling.

Though, with some things, the longer the better.

The only thing you should have to do is find work you love to do.

Never underestimate the truth behind this.
Right?

You become a writer because you need to become a writer - nothing else.

What about "for the money", he thought.
For example, writing a book about Trump.

The only recognizable feature of hope is action.

And how scarey that can be, right?

That heartbreaking moment when you finish an amazing book, and you are forced to return to reality.

For example, the reality that no one will publish it. Me? Twice.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:03 pm

Thomas Bernhard

It would be wrong to refuse to face the fact that everything is fundamentally sick and sad.

You know, if the glass is half full.

The art we need is the art of bearing the unbearable.

Next up: the philosophy we don't need.

Instead of committing suicide, people go to work.

Then: Instead of committing suicide, people retire.

People keep a dog and are ruled by this dog, and even Schopenhauer was ruled in the end not by his head, but by his dog. This fact is more depressing than any other.

My guess: I doubt it.

What can you do. You get a name, you're called 'Thomas Bernhard', and it stays that way for the rest of your life. And if at some point you go for a walk in the woods, and someone takes a photo of you, then for the next eighty years you're always walking in the woods. There's nothing you can do about it.

Stay out of the woods? Though, sure, point taken.

We can only exist by taking our minds off the fact that we exist.

He finely got that. But it was too late.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:38 pm

Nein

I have not been following the news today. Please don’t tell me how we end.

Just so we do, he predicted.

A gentle reminder from September. Every month is the cruelest.

Not unlike every year.

Sorry, sir. We’re all out of context.

Imagine someone saying that to me. :lol:

An Oxford comma walks into a bar. Orders a gin, and tonic.

What, sort, of, comma, would, you, call, this?

A gentle reminder that as bad as things are, it’s not too late. That was decades ago.

Yet here we are still enduring them.

Sorry. You caught me at an unusual time in our country’s history.

So, how about your country?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:55 pm

Christian Bale

I tend to think you're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway.

Or foolhardy.

I find something fascinating about the quiet man in the background who has no desire to be the center of attention.

Tons and tons of them here, right? Though I don't know about fascinating.

The art of survival is a story that never ends.

Oh, it ends all right. And for all of us. But point taken.

I have this theory that, depending on your attitude, your life doesn't have to become this ridiculous charade that it seems so many people end up living.

Uh, let's move on, right?

It's got to do with putting yourself in other people's shoes and seeing how far you can come to truly understand them. I like the empathy that comes from acting.

Acting. That's a good word for it.

It was a great honor to be called a mo-fo by Sam Jackson.

Shaft?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Christian Bale

I tend to think you're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway.

Or foolhardy.

I find something fascinating about the quiet man in the background who has no desire to be the center of attention.

Tons and tons of them here, right? Though I don't know about fascinating.

The art of survival is a story that never ends.

Oh, it ends all right. And for all of us. But point taken.

I have this theory that, depending on your attitude, your life doesn't have to become this ridiculous charade that it seems so many people end up living.

Uh, let's move on, right?

It's got to do with putting yourself in other people's shoes and seeing how far you can come to truly understand them. I like the empathy that comes from acting.

Acting. That's a good word for it.

It was a great honor to be called a mo-fo by Sam Jackson.

Shaft?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:29 pm

Werner Twertzog

God, grant me serenity, and thirty-seven million dollars.

This, I suppose: https://abc13.com/finance/bank-mistaken ... -/5751474/

It is important for Americans who cannot type 140 characters without obvious errors of spelling and grammar, plus obscenities, to have guns.

And not even the most important reason.

Yes that was an insider joke, for it was I during Fitzcarraldo who drank the milkshake that belonged to Kinski.

The rest of course is history.

I know little about Ted Nugent, but I would like to know even less.

Not less than I do.

This is not a significant apocalypse.
Yet.

Of course that was two hours ago, Werner.

The Internet is evil, as we all know. I do not participate.

Well, not everyday anyway.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:09 pm

Caleb Carr

If you're gonna catch criminals, you got to be a bit of one yourself.

Or here: If you're gonna catch Kids, you got to be a bit of one yourself.

...but as anybody who’s ever been involved with the law will tell you, facts aren’t always or even usually what decides a case.

In a word: politics.

Yet the profound irony was that our killer believed he was providing himself with just those things: vengeance for the child he had been, protection for the tortured soul he had become.

Who needs irony for that, he thought.

He’s a journalist. They come in two varieties, cynics and liars.

Or three if your count the ruling class toadies at the MSM.

...belief in what he called “context”: the theory that every man’s actions are to a very decisive extent influenced by his early experiences, and that no man’s behavior can be analyzed or affected without knowledge of those experiences.

Yo, Stooges!

Habit dooms us all to fight out the battle of life upon the lines of our nurture or our early choice, and to make the best of a pursuit that disagrees, because there is no other for which we are fitted, and it is too late to begin again.

Yo, Stooges!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Edward O. Wilson

True character arises from a deeper well than religion. It is the internalization of moral principles of a society, augmented by those tenets personally chosen by the individual, strong enough to endure through trials of solitude and adversity. The principles are fitted together into what we call integrity, literally the integrated self, wherein personal decisions feel good and true. Character is in turn the enduring source of virtue. It stands by itself and excites admiration in others.

Intellectual contraptions don't get much more ghastly than this one.

Nature holds the key to our aesthetic, intellectual, cognitive and even spiritual satisfaction.

You know, whatever that means.

We have created a Star Wars civilization, with Stone Age emotions, medieval institutions, and godlike technology.

You know, whatever that means.

The great challenge of the twenty-first century is to raise people everywhere to a decent standard of living while preserving as much of the rest of life as possible.

He means the thirty-first century of course.

I will argue that every scrap of biological diversity is priceless, to be learned and cherished, and never to be surrendered without a struggle.

We may need a whole slew of contexts here.

Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong.

For example, a Kid said it.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:29 pm

Werner Twertzog

We do not tweet, we screech in pain.

Like some here, posting.

Hell is other people.
Hell, also, is being alone.
Everything is Hell.

Next up: everything else.

The giraffe has a long neck
Not just to feed upon leaves,
But because it yearns
To escape the Earth
And voyage to the stars.

Really? Let's ask them.

The Emu cannot walk backwards because it has never known fear.

What about these guys: https://animals.mom.com/animals-cannot- ... -3794.html

I whined to my mother that I was hungry, and she handed me an axe and pointed to the mountains.

His father just nodded.

To be an adult is to pick up the shit of others while they complain you are doing it wrong.

Sounds about right.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Louis-Ferdinand Celine

Never believe straight off in a man's unhappiness. Ask him if he can still sleep. If the answer's "yes," all's well. That is enough.

Of course some learn this the hard way.

To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose.

Seriously, what music would you choose on your deathbed?

The poetry of heroism appeals irresistibly to those who don't go to a war, and even more to those whom the war is making enormously wealthy. It's always so.

Next up: the losers and suckers.

The plain truth, I may as well admit it, is that I've never been really right in the head.

Let's call this a "condition".

The more one is hated, I find, the happier one is.

By Stooges for example.

When men can hate without risk, their stupidity is easily convinced, the motives supply themselves.

Wow, I have nearly almost come close to understanding this. Though I'm considerably less certain if I agree with it.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Susanna Clarke

She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows, and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.

So, a wedding or a funeral?

He understood for the first time that the world is not dumb at all, but merely waiting for someone to speak to it in a language it understands.

My guess: It speaks Kid.

All books are doors; and some of them are wardrobes.

My guess: few and far between.

Time and I have quarrelled. All hours are midnight now. I had a clock and a watch, but I destroyed them both. I could not bear the way they mocked me.

And, from time to time, space too.

I have a scholar's love of silence and solitude. To sit and pass hour after hour in idle chatter with a roomful of strangers is to me the worst sort of torment.

Me too. Though not at all the scholar.

There must come a time when the bullets will run out.

Or the words. Though, sure, never run out at all.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:09 pm

Existential Comics

I don't know who needs to hear this, but replacing every car on Earth with a newly manufactured electric car will not solve climate change. Like...not even a little.

Spot the political prejudice yet?

Conservatives are always like "Free healthcare? What's next? Free college? Free housing? Free food? Walking past a homeless person without looking down on them with scorn??"

Jesus, that is a slippery slope.

You cannot say that Ayn Rand wasn't doing philosophy without saying that Plato wasn't either.

Uh, let's not go there?
You know, God or No God.

Centrists are like: "extremism is dangerous on both sides, that's why I support the moderate, reasonable, non-extreme system where like 12 dudes own half the world."

Just out of curiosity, any centrists here?

People say learning philosophy serves no practical purpose, but I use it all the time. For example, the other day someone was talking to me and I brought up how according to Hegel, the zeitgeist refines itself continually towards the Absolute Idea, and they stopped talking to me.

Hegel? Is that supposed to ring a bell?

Utilitarianism: like any tweet that makes you feel good.
Deontology: like any tweet that coheres to the rules of good tweets.

Or here: any posts.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat