a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"Cease your arguing about what it means to be a good man - just be one." - Marcus Aurelius

:lol:
Or was he being serious?

“Give yourself a gift: the present moment.” - Marcus Aurelius

Well, unless of course you're writhing in pain.

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

Or, here, the Kids.

“The bravest sight in the world is to see a great man struggling against adversity.” Seneca

You know, like me here. :wink:

:There are no facts, only interpretations." Friedrich Nietzsche

Is that a fact?

"The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die. As well the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind." Friedrich Nietzsche

Yo, Mr. Fulminating Fanatic!
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:31 pm

Robert Rauschenberg

Having to be different is the same trap as having to be the same.

Not unlike having to be born...or having to die.

I want my paintings to look like what's going on outside my window rather than what's inside my studio.

Okay, so what's outside it? Isn't it going to be pretty much the same thing everyday? Or is that just my window?

I like photographs of anything uninteresting. Maybe just two doors on a wall... The point is to be uninteresting.

Things artists say.

I always have a good reason for taking something out but I never have one for putting something in. And I don't want to, because that means that the picture is being painted predigested.

Things artists say.

My concern is never art, but always what art can be used for.

To make a buck, say.

There was a whole language that I could never make function for myself; it revolved around words like 'tortured', 'struggle'. 'pain'.. .I could never see these qualities in paint - I could see them in life and art that illustrates life. But I could not see such conflicts in the materials and I knew that it had to be in the attitude of the painter.

Uh, no shit?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Leonora Carrington

People under seventy and over seven are very unreliable if they are not cats.

And, really, not all cats either.

One has to be careful what one takes when one goes away forever.

Not counting death of course. At least to the best of my knowledge.

Do you believe, she went on, that the past dies?
Yes, said Margaret. Yes, if the present cuts its throat.

That'll do it.

I am never lonely, Galahad. Or rather I never suffer from loneliness. I suffer much from the idea that my loneliness might be taken away from me by a lot of mercilessly well-meaning people.

Try it and, let's just say, you die.

I never eat meat as I think it is wrong to deprive animals of their life when they are so difficult to chew anyway.

Now that's a new one.

The task of the right eye is to peer into the telescope, while the left eye peers into the microscope.

Anyone here ever actually done this?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:46 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves." Viktor Frankl

That would have to be true, wouldn't it?

“The world of the happy is quite different from that of the unhappy.” Ludwig Wittgenstein

That would have to be true, wouldn't it?

“Hell isn't other people. Hell is yourself.” Ludwig Wittgenstein

If you know what he means. On the other hand, who here besides me seems to?

“I act with complete certainty. But this certainty is my own.” Ludwig Wittgenstein

Yo, Mr. Fulminating Fanatic!

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, that explains my own travail then. Some of it anyway.

"There are two different types of people in the world, those who want to know, and those who want to believe" Friedrich Nietzsche

Always important to bring this one back, Mr. Uberman.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:19 pm

Olga Tokarczuk

...every single Person has their own expression which he or she overuses. Or uses incorrectly. These words or phrases are the key to their intellect. Mr. “Apparently,” Mr. “Generally,” Mrs. “Probably,” Mr. “Fucking,” Mrs. “Don’t You Think?,” Mr. “As If.”

Let's figure out what mine is.

Newspapers rely on keeping us in a constant state of anxiety, on diverting our emotions away from the things that really matter to us.

Surely not the mainstream media!

With age, many men come down with testosterone autism, the symptoms of which are a gradual decline in social intelligence and capacity for interpersonal communication, as well as a reduced ability to formulate thoughts.

Some even become Kids.

Gradually I felt flooded by a powerful sense of communion with the people passing by. Each man was my brother and each woman my sister. We were so very much alike. So fragile, impermanent, and easily destroyed. We trustingly went to and fro beneath the sky, which had nothing good in store for us.

Talk about ambivalence!

One has to tell people what to think. There's no alternative. Otherwise someone else will do it.

Of course first you have to convince some to think.

Within our bodies disintegration inexorably advances; soon we shall fall sick and die. Our loved ones will leave us, the memory of them will dissolve in the tumult; nothing will remain. Just a few clothes in the wardrobe and someone in a photograph, no longer recognized. The most precious memories will dissipate. Everything will sink into darkness and vanish.

You know, being optimistic.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Angela Carter

How far does a pretence of feeling, maintained with absolute conviction, become authentic?

Anyone here know for sure?

Out of the frying pan into the fire! What is marriage but prostitution to one man instead of many? No different!

And absolutely no exceptions!!!

...in their millenial and long-lived patience they knew quite well how, in a hundred years, or a thousand years' time, or else, perhaps, tomorrow, in an hour's time, for it was all a gamble, a million to one chance, but all the same there was a chance that if they kept on shaking their chains, one day, some day, the clasps upon the shackles would part.

You know, by magic.

Some cities are women and must be loved; others are men and can only be admired or bargained with.

And then there's Baltimore.

There's a theory, one I find persuasive, that the quest for knowledge is, at bottom, the search for the answer to the question: Where was I before I was born.

Of course! Why didn't I think of that?!

Hollywood... was the place where the United States perpetrated itself as a universal dream and put the dream into mass production.

Yep, that's still true. Well, depending on you you define dream.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:23 pm

Dustin Hoffman

I knew I finally made it as a performer when I began hearing rumors that I was gay.

Let's explain this.

I feel cheated never being able to know what it's like to get pregnant, carry a child and breast-feed.

On the other hand, no "curse" and menopause.

Blame is for God and small children.

Not to mention the other way around.

I walked out of the theater and started crying. My wife asked me, 'Why are you crying?' I said, 'Because I can't do that.'

An actor thing let's call it. Though, sure, the equivalent of that here.

I lived below the official American poverty line until I was 31.

We'll need the month and the day of course.

My wife always says that I will be stuck with this forever: I am the difficult one. With Jack Nicholson they always said it was drugs. Warren Beatty is supposed to have screwed everything that jumped off the curve. I'll tell you, in reality a few of us had as many girls as Warren.

Here, of course, that's Mr. Reasonable.
Go ahead, ask him.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:16 am

Philosophy Tweets

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” Thucydides

Fast forward to...today?

“Are we to paint what’s on the face, what’s inside the face, or what’s behind it?” Pablo Picasso

Obviously: yes.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies...a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Of course for many here that would make him a Communist.

"Why look for conspiracy when stupidity can explain so much." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

After all, look at the fulminating fanatics here.

“We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

After all, look at the fulminating fanatics here.

“How easy life is when it's easy, and how hard when it's hard.” Philip Roth

Wow, what a coincidence!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:19 pm

Ernest Cline

The clans began to bombard the outer force field with rockets, missiles, nukes, and harsh language.

Including the occasional "motherfucker!"

I didn't think anyone would anticipate this move, because it was so clearly insane.

Here of course that is completely expected.

If there were other civilizations out there, why would they ever want to make contact with humanity? If this was how we treated each other, how much kindness could we possibly show to some race of bug-eyed beings from beyond?

Especially if they are scumbag liberals.

I was just another sad, lost, lonely soul, wasting his life on a glorified videogame.

Or: I was just another sad, lost, lonely soul, wasting his life in a glorified philosophy forum.
You know, when this actually was one.

For one quarter, Black Tiger lets me escape from my rotten existence for three glorious hours. Pretty good deal.

And here you can play for free!

For me, growing up as a human being on the planet Earth in the twenty-first century was a real kick in the teeth. Existentially speaking.

See, I told you.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:47 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"Unless one is inordinately fond of subordination, one is always at war." Philip Roth

My guess: testosterone. And the fulminating fanatics of course.

“The pleasure isn't in owning the person. The pleasure is this: having another contender in the room with you.” Philip Roth

Yo, phoneutria!
Instead, I'm stuck with all the mini-mind Jokers here.
8)

"I think you're whole before you begin. And the love fractures you. You're whole, and then you're cracked open." Philip Roth

Not unlike life itself.

“We are fascinated by Ramses as Renaissance Christians were by the American Indians, those (human?] beings who had never known the word of Christ.” Jean Baudrillard

You know, going back to the caves.
Yo, God! What of their souls?

“Is there any knowledge in the world which is so certain that no reasonable man could doubt it?” Bertrand Russell

God knows.

“Science is what you know, philosophy is what you don't know.” Bertrand Russell

And then there's what we don't know here.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:10 pm

Gus Van Sant

It's hard to speculate as a human about the afterlife because you're not in it. And it's probably as wild and wacky as you could imagine. The idea that people have figured it out, I'm not sure if I can fathom that.

You know, not being in it.

You never look at the backside of a mirror because when you do, it'll affect your future because you're looking at yourself backwards. No, you're looking at your inner self and you don't recognize it because you've never seen it before.

Nope, not with my mirrors.

When you get to be 23, 24 or 25, you start to freeze up and become an adult.

The bills piling up for example.

If you put up posters around town for high-school kids, high-school kids will come. If you're casting politicians, you can't put up posters and have politicians come down.

Let's put up posters here for philosophers. Sort of a Hail Mary as it were.

high school, I read 'Silas Marner' and I was very attracted to this character - he was very rundown and he'd just stop, and things would happen around him.

Fiction let's call it. Or fate.

There is a way that a younger person can accept the inevitable problem that they're going to die, whereas somebody a little bit older might be overcome.

Then those who are a lot older.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Oliver Stone

One of the joys of going to the movies was that it was trashy, and we should never lose that.

Consider it lost, he scoffed.

Anybody who's been through a divorce will tell you that, at one point, they've thought murder. The line between thinking murder and doing murder isn't that major.

Let's run this by Sun-jung Jung, Elizabeth Stone, and Najwa Sarkis.

Football is mesmerizing, because it's a figurative war. You go in one direction till you get there, but you get there as a team, not as an individual. Players bond whether they're black or white, much as soldiers do.

Unless of course it's just a barely contained thuggery.

I went to Vietnam, and I was there for a long time. Using marijuana made the difference between staying human or, as Michael Douglas said, becoming a beast.

At Song Be, we called it the "head hooch".

The worst nightmare I ever had about Vietnam was that I had to go back. I woke up in a sweat, in total terror.

Or, sure, to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm a dramatist. Dramatists have a right to look at history and interpret it the way they see it.

You tell me: https://youtu.be/iBsnPaWVSMk

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:14 pm

Philosophy Tweets

“The secret to happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible.” Bertrand Russell

Then I'm downright exhilarated!

"I tore myself away from the safe comfort of certainties through my love for truth -- and truth rewarded me." Simone de Beauvoir

Yeah, when it's not pounding you down to the ground.

“Hounds follow those who feed them.” Otto von Bismarck

Thugs too.

"But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought." George Orwell

True, but only all the way to the grave.

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell

Let's decide: your obvious or mine.

"Philosophy when superficially studied, excites doubt, when thoroughly explored, it dispels it.” Francis Bacon

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:18 pm

Anne Carson

When I desire you a part of me is gone.

Not to mention a part of you.

The self forms at the edge of desire, and a science of self arises in the effort to leave that self behind.

Talk about an intellectual contraption!
Or not of course.

Under the seams runs the pain.

For example, in layers.

A man moves through time. It means nothing except that, like a harpoon, once thrown he will arrive.

Thrown by what or thrown by who? Just saying.

There is no person without a world.

Just ask Neo.

Sometimes I dream a sentence and write it down. It’s usually nonsense, but sometimes it seems a key to another world.

I used to do this too. Would you like me to explain why I stopped?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:27 pm

Frank Gehry

Your best work is your expression of yourself. Now, you may not be the greatest at it, but when you do it, you're the only expert.

How depressing is that, he wondered.

Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness.

Not much that can't mean, right?

People ask me if I'm an artist or an architect. But I think they're the same.

What do people ask philosophers?

I don't know why people hire architects and then tell them what to do.

He wondered if, perhaps, this was as idiotic as he suspected.

If you know where it's going, it's not worth doing.

Come on, it might be.

I think the biggest problem with 'industrial' architecture is that it's lost its sense of humanity. Minimalist stuff drains all the humanity out of it. That idea works great for the money thing, but it doesn't work great for the feeling thing.

That shaking? It's from Ayn Rand spinning in her grave.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:07 pm

Nein

Joy to the world. Peace on Earth. Seize the means of production.

Maybe next Christmas.

It’s beginning to signify a lot like nothing.

Or, for some, a lot less something.

We regret to inform you about 2020. Sadly, it does not make you immune to 2021.

Nope, still no vaccination yet for reality itself.

A gentle reminder about reality. Sometimes it starts showing.

Like you're pregnant with it.

The good news: the year is ending. The bad news: I’m told there will be another.

That's what we call it alright.

The winter of our disinfectant.

He means the winter of our reinfection.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:00 pm

Robert Rauschenberg

Being right can stop all the momentum of a very interesting idea.

Next up: being wrong.

I don't mess around with my subconscious.

Like he'd ever reallhy know that.

While my classmates were reading their textbooks, I drew in the margins.

On the other hand, he was dyslexic.

If you don't have trouble paying the rent, you have trouble doing something else; one needs just a certain amount of trouble.

Oh, sure, we definitely need that.

I had been working purely abstractly for so long, it was important for me to see whether I was working abstractly because I couldn't work any other way, or whether I was doing it out of choice.

Yo, Mr. Serious Philosopher! A challenge!!

I used to think of that line in Allen Ginsberg's 'Howl', about the 'sad cup of coffee'.. ..I have had cold coffee and hot coffee and lousy coffee, But I've never had a sad cup of coffee.

Someone explain it please.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Leonora Carrington

This is a love letter to a nightmare.

Written a few of them myself. To no avail.

Do not give up hope entirely in spite of the horror of your situation. I am mobilising all my mental capacities to obtain your unconditional freedom.

Would that someone would implore me to hang in there. Maybe you, perhaps?

It is impossible to understand how millions and millions of people all obey a sickly collection of gentlemen that call themselves 'Government!' The word, I expect, frightens people. It is a form of planetary hypnosis, and very unhealthy.

It has been going on for years, I said. And it only occurred to relatively few to disobey and make what they call revolutions. If they won their revolutions, which they occasionally did, they made more governments, sometimes more cruel and stupid than the last.

Men are very difficult to understand, said Carmella. Let's hope they all freeze to death. I am sure it would be very pleasant and healthy for human beings to have no authority whatever. They would have to think for themselves, instead of always being told what to do and think by advertisements, cinemas, policemen, and parliaments.

Wow! The "human condition" in a nutshell!! It's finally been pinned down!!!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if I won a helicopter in a crossword puzzle competition? There is not much hope though I am afraid, as they never give such practical prizes.

They being, well, them.

The Antichrists are antichristing each other with antichristly ferocity so I must go and make peace.

Here of course it's the fulminating fanatics. Though mocking them is more my aim.

The skeleton was as happy as a madman whose straightjacket had been taken off. He felt liberated at being able to walk without flesh. The mosquitoes didn't bite him anymore. He didn't have to have his hair cut. He was neither hungry nor thirsty, hot nor cold. He was far from the lizard of love.

Sounds like my skeleton, all right.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 pm

Olga Tokarczuk

One must keep one's eyes and ears open, one must know how to match up the facts, see similarity where others see total difference, remember that certain events occur at various levels or, to put it another way, many incidents are aspects of the same, single occurrence. And that the world is a great big net, it is a whole, where no single thing exists separately; every scrap of the world, every last tiny piece, is bound up with the rest by a complex Cosmos of correspondences, hard for the ordinary mind to penetrate.

Tell that [here] to the objectivists, the Kids and the fulminating fanatics.

Anger always leaves a large void behind it, into which a flood of sorrow pours instantly, and keeps on flowing like a great river, without beginning or end.

Well, sorrow among other things.

It's clear that the largest things are contained in the smallest. There can be no doubt about it. At this very moment, as I write, there's a planetary configuration on this table, the entire Cosmos if you like: a thermometer, a coin, an aluminum spoon and a porcelain cup. A key, a mobile phone, a piece of paper and pen. And one of my grey hairs, whose atoms preserve the memory of the origins of life, of the cosmic Catastrophe that gave the world its beginning.

"SEE, I FUCKING TOLD YOU!!", he pouted.

Being healthy is an insecure state and does not bode well. It's better to be ill in a quiet way, then at least we know what we're going to die of.

I get this. And then again I don't.

The internet itself led him from one word to the next, giving links, pointing out. When it didn’t know something it tactfully kept quiet or stubbornly showed him the same pages, ad nauseam. Then Kunicki had the impression that he had just landed at the border of the known world, at the wall, at the membrane of the heavenly firmament. There wasn’t any way to break through it with his head and look through. The internet is a fraud. It promises so much—that it will execute your every command, that it will find you what you’re looking for; execution, fulfillment, reward. But in essence that promise is a kind of bait, because you immediately fall into a trance, into hypnosis. The paths quickly diverge, double and multiply, and you go down them, still chasing an aim that will now get blurry and undergo some transformations. You lose the ground beneath your feet, the place where you started from just gets forgotten, and your aim finally vanishes from sight, disappears in the passage of more and more pages, businesses that always promise more than they can give, shamelessly pretending that under the flat plane of the screen there is some cosmos. But nothing could be more deceptive, dear Kunicki. What are you, Kunicki, looking for? What are you aiming at? You feel like spreading out your arms and plunging into it, into that abyss, but there is nothing more deceptive: the landscape turns out to be a wallpaper, you can’t go any farther.

Or certainly something like this, right?

Then you realize: night gives the world back its natural, original appearance, without sugar-coating it; day is a flight of fancy, light a slight exception, an oversight, a disruption of the order. The world in fact is dark, almost black. Motionless and cold.

Imagine then being blind.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:02 pm

Elena Epaneshnik

Think twice before sending your demons into exile. They may be your best friends. Your only friends.

Of course my demons are sending me into exile. Just not from here.

Die Hard 2 is the best Christmas movie ever.

She means Scrooged of course. You know, if you chop off the ending.

Somehow I always pay extra for my emotional baggage.

That would bankrupt some of us.

My blood is 40% caffeine, 40% red dry wine, the rest is insomnia, existential angst and occasional jazz intermissions.

A Commie, right, Pedro?

Russian Literature:
1. Everything is very bad.
2. Only 800 pages to find out why.
3. Only 600 more pages to find out why it will be worse.

American Literature:

Happy New Year! Let's hope that 2021 will be a beautiful year for us all — no matter where we are.

That sound you hear is my skin crawling.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Angela Carter

The kind of power mothers have is enormous. Take the skyline of Istanbul - enormous breasts, pathetic little willies, a final revenge on Islam. I was so scared I had to crouch in the bottom of the boat when I saw it.

Wow, imagine the context that brought on this.

The clown may be the source of mirth, but - who shall make the clown laugh?

Next up: the joker.

If Miss means respectably unmarried, and Mrs. respectably married, then Ms. means nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

And then there's Mister: one size fits all?

There is a striking resemblance between the act of love and the ministrations of a torturer.

Gee, you wouldn't think so, would you?

And, oh God, in my misspent youth as a housewife, I, too, used to bake bread, in those hectic and desolating days just prior to the woman's movement, when middle-class women were supposed to be wonderful wives and mothers, gracious hostesses.... I used to feel so womanly when I was baking my filthy bread.

Ah, the good old days!

The child's laughter is pure until he first laughs at a clown.

I'd like to believe I understand this.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:26 pm

Werner Twerzog

A mob will hang anyone.

And, with any luck, one of their own.

In Germany, after the war, everyone said they were against it, but they did nothing to stop it when it was risky to do so.

My guess: human nature.

Mobs quail before personal courage.

Yo, chickenshits!

When people show you who they really are, do not elect them president.

Let alone worship and adore them.

One of the great mistakes in my life is underestimating the indifference of the universe to our continuing existence.

Actually, I encourage it. Putting us all in the same fucking boat.

2020 is not even the new normal.

It's not even the new abnormal.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 pm

Dustin Hoffman

I think 'retirement' goes hand in hand with people who make a living by having a 'job.' I don't think we-the .00001 percent of the population who are so fortunate to love passionately what we do-consider it a 'job'.

And how they love to rub it in!

A good review from the critics is just another stay of execution.

And, of course, the equivalent of that here.

The Academy Awards are obscene, dirty . . . no better than a beauty contest.

Kramer vs. Kramer and Rain man. Where are those Oscars now? In a land fill?

One of the things you can do as an actor, is compensate for the things you can't do in life.

You know, like some of us do here.

We're not allowed in the cutting room - and that's extraordinary. So, when a director is asking for certain nuances and colours and we feel that they're phoney, but we do it because the director asks for it, that's the one that they pick in the cutting room. And I contend that when you see a movie with bad acting, don't blame the actor... blame those guys in the cutting room because they like that take.

Unless of couse it's all, say, rather subjective.

I'd like to thank my parents for not practicing birth control.

That and the other thing.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Ernest Cline

No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful.

He means all that they want of course.

I was obsessed. I wouldn't quit. My grades suffered. I didn't care.

Yep, another kind of Kid altogether.

Standing there, under the bleak fluorescents of my tiny one-room apartment, there was no escaping the truth. In real life, I was nothing but an antisocial hermit. A recluse. A pale-skinned pop culture–obsessed geek. An agoraphobic shut-in, with no real friends, family, or genuine human contact. I was just another sad, lost, lonely soul, wasting his life on a glorified video game.

That's me! Well, less the the glorified video game.

Now that everyone could vote from home, via the OASIS, the only people who could get elected were movie stars, reality TV personalities, or radical televangelists.

In other words, nothing changed.

My friend Kira always said that life is like an extremely difficult, horribly unbalanced videogame. When you’re born, you’re given a randomly generated character, with a randomly determined name, race, face, and social class. Your body is your avatar, and you spawn in a random geographic location, at a random moment in human history, surrounded by a random group of people, and then you have to try to survive for as long as you can.

See, I told you that too.

The once-great country into which I'd been born now resembled its former self in name only. It didn't matter who was in charge. Those people were rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic and everyone knew it.

Five will get you ten it's America.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Werner Twertzog

Authoritarians depend on hate, hypocrisy, cowardice, and incompetence, as we all know.

Incredibly enough, some of us here don't know that!

It is not necessary to "follow the money." Evil doesn't need a profit motive. It rejoices in evil for its own sake.

True, but follow the money anyway.

Still missing Robin Williams.

Me? It's still John Lennon.

Let us not confuse mental illness with moral evil.

Go ahead, though, ask me about "moral evil".

When Caligula was sick, one sycophantic senator publicly offered his life to the gods if the emperor could be spared. Upon his recovery, Caligula ordered the senator's execution as payment for that pledge.

Sounds about right.

The American socialist media refuses to expose Nancy Pelosi's unpaid parking tickets, I am told, by reliable sources.

Not to mention Chuck Schumer's jaywalking.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat