Why do you post on an internet message board?

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Faust » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:54 am

TV - actually watching it, maybe a couple of hours a week. Until my landlady gave me a set this past July, I hadn't owned one for many years. But It is usually on from eleven at night to about one in the morning. Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, although I did watch a bit of the 2001 Space Oddessy sequel the other night.

Typically, I will unwind from work posting, cleaning up spammers, reading (a book), playing SimCity Classic, Freecell, smoking weed and eating from about eleven at night to about one A.M. on nights that I work. An hour and a half in the morning while I'm chainsmoking and getting ready for work, drinking coffee - I get up around 8:00 and leave for work around 9:30 or so.

Miscellaneous during work (like right now), and more on rainy and/or cold days off - I guess it comes to about 40 hours.

I work about fifty and commute another 7.

How do I manage to fill the rest of my week?

If I had any discipline, I really could spend more time online.
User avatar
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom
 
Posts: 16901
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby F.W.Nietzsche » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:48 am

Tool sucks, Maynerd.
Image
Image
Genius will bear no witness
Stop staring
User avatar
F.W.Nietzsche
Thinker
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:52 pm
Location: Where Solomon and Higgins live, Woohoo.

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Maynard James Keenan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:31 am

Tool is UNARGUABLY the most talented and ambitious "mainstream" band of all time, thus making them the best band of all time.
Maynard James Keenan
BANNED
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby realunoriginal » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:38 am

Maynard James Keenan wrote:Tool is UNARGUABLY the most talented and ambitious "mainstream" band of all time, thus making them the best band of all time.

Remind me to learn under your logic professor.
If the road to Hell is paved with good intentions then I am headed straight to Heaven!!!

The more I learn, the more I question my will to learn.
User avatar
realunoriginal
BANNED
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:16 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:41 am

Maynard James Keenan wrote:Tool is UNARGUABLY the most talented and ambitious "mainstream" band of all time, thus making them the best band of all time.


I like Tool.

That said, what the fuck are you talking about?
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

Image
User avatar
PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell
 
Posts: 7137
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Maynard James Keenan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:44 am

Pavlovianmodel146 wrote:
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Tool is UNARGUABLY the most talented and ambitious "mainstream" band of all time, thus making them the best band of all time.


I like Tool.

That said, what the fuck are you talking about?


Can you name me a single mainstream band that is as creative, talented, and ambitious as Tool? That says a lot.

Some would argue Radiohead and I would listen to that argument but they are clearly not as talented from a player/musician standpoint.

Radiohead still kicks ass.
Maynard James Keenan
BANNED
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:52 am

Maynard James Keenan wrote:
Pavlovianmodel146 wrote:
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Tool is UNARGUABLY the most talented and ambitious "mainstream" band of all time, thus making them the best band of all time.


I like Tool.

That said, what the fuck are you talking about?


Can you name me a single mainstream band that is as creative, talented, and ambitious as Tool? That says a lot.


Not that you would agree with.
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

Image
User avatar
PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell
 
Posts: 7137
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby matty » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Maynard James Keenan wrote:Some would argue Radiohead and I would listen to that argument but they are clearly not as talented from a player/musician standpoint.


:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, right... I doubt the members of a thrash metal band know what an ondes Martenot is, let alone could play one.
matty
Thinker
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Hors texte

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Impenitent » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:19 pm

matty wrote:
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Some would argue Radiohead and I would listen to that argument but they are clearly not as talented from a player/musician standpoint.


:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, right... I doubt the members of a thrash metal band know what an ondes Martenot is, let alone could play one.


I tied a ondes Martenot on the sail of a boat once...

the rudder still fell off

how I long for musical wrenches...

-Imp
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

What's the difference between a liberal and Al Qaeda?
Oh, you don't know either?

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus" -Eco
Impenitent
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12706
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:16 pm

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Maynard James Keenan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:21 pm

matty wrote:
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Some would argue Radiohead and I would listen to that argument but they are clearly not as talented from a player/musician standpoint.


:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, right... I doubt the members of a thrash metal band know what an ondes Martenot is, let alone could play one.


Thrash metal and mainstream dont belong in the same sentence.
Maynard James Keenan
BANNED
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Fabiano » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Maynard James Keenan wrote:Thrash metal and mainstream dont belong in the same sentence.


is that bad? :-k
Fabiano
It's simple like that
 
Posts: 1817
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby matty » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Whatever Tool are, they are certainly not mainstream on this side of the pond.
matty
Thinker
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Hors texte

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:28 pm

...I'd never heard of Tool until I came here - see, ILP does have it's uses, MJK :wink:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 21523
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Maynard James Keenan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Magsj wrote:...I'd never heard of Tool until I came here - see, ILP does have it's uses, MJK :wink:


What did I tell you?
Maynard James Keenan
BANNED
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby _drifter » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm

I post because I'm bored and like to waste time :D

Also sometimes in the philosophy forum there will actually be something interesting to read and reply to.
"Whenever philosophers begin to get answers to their questions they are no longer doing philosophy"
User avatar
_drifter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:15 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby nickfdr » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:54 pm

Maynard James Keenan wrote:nickfdr - Why shouldnt you be posting on a message board? DO you really need to ask that? Like I said before as a form of social communication its pretty low on the list. It attracts people who lack true social skills and instead of helping them it hurts them. Why would you want to spend ANY time communicating with people like this? What kind of mental reward does it give you?


1.Yes I really needed to ask that
2. The list is made by the majority to favour themselves; so they would put talking in real life as being greater than talking online (though essentially there is actually very difference)
3. What do you mean by "TRUE social skills"? I feel happier after coming on ILP its probably been the best thing that happened to me in a while...
4. Why wouldn't I want to talk to people like this. The people here are just so much fun to talk to (Nah, Faust, Wonderer and I even daresay LadyJane)
5. The reward is entertainment and intellectual stimulation that can only be gained being around the right people; it is so much "fun" that it doesn't bother us to be doing it over a computer...

Maynard if you get such a kick out of real life that you look down on us "the socially inept" GTFO out the forum...
The concept of a concept is a human concept. -Oran

I know what god is, but if i tried to explain it to you, it would make itself more complex out of spite... - Wonderer

If there is anything mankind will not resist it is a fat man with presents...

"He’s missing his liver. That’s how some kids react to the cafeteria food… the lucky ones." -School Nurse
User avatar
nickfdr
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:14 am
Location: I'm not sure

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Maynard James Keenan wrote:
Magsj wrote:...I'd never heard of Tool until I came here - see, ILP does have it's uses, MJK :wink:


What did I tell you?

...that you wanted to worship me. :wink:

:-$ I won't tell anyone! 8-[
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 21523
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Maynard James Keenan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:13 pm

This place (ILovePhilosophy) is your "500 Channels".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEFYOajz ... re=related

NickFDR - Go for a run, learn an instrument, belong to an organization that means something to you...Do something! Life is not found sitting in front of a 14 inch screen, by yourself, barely scratching the surface of profound topics that philosophy brings you. NickFDR, I have read your past posts...You waste your time here. There is very little that is intellectually stimulating that you participate in on these message boards. The reward you clearly get here is that you belong to a "community" where people aknowledge your existence, and you talk about often times, very shallow topics, that others participate in. This is a very "safe" place for you. Now I've asked you (all of you) to add up the time you spend either in front of a TV or mindlessely(what your doing here) surfing the web. No one but Faust has participated. I question his response due to the fact that he seems to be on here morning, noon, and night. He doesnt seem to get off. Ever.

You feel "happier" here because this place is safe for you. You feel happy here like 45 year old has been beauty queens do spending inordinant amounts of money on expensive clothes. Spending time on message boards isnt true happiness. You and I both know that. If you want stimulation get a new friend or read a book. Dont come here.
Maynard James Keenan
BANNED
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby nickfdr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:55 am

Maynard James Keenan wrote:This place (ILovePhilosophy) is your "500 Channels".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEFYOajz ... re=related

NickFDR - Go for a run, learn an instrument, belong to an organization that means something to you...Do something! Life is not found sitting in front of a 14 inch screen, by yourself, barely scratching the surface of profound topics that philosophy brings you. NickFDR, I have read your past posts...You waste your time here. There is very little that is intellectually stimulating that you participate in on these message boards. The reward you clearly get here is that you belong to a "community" where people aknowledge your existence, and you talk about often times, very shallow topics, that others participate in. This is a very "safe" place for you. Now I've asked you (all of you) to add up the time you spend either in front of a TV or mindlessely(what your doing here) surfing the web. No one but Faust has participated. I question his response due to the fact that he seems to be on here morning, noon, and night. He doesnt seem to get off. Ever.

You feel "happier" here because this place is safe for you. You feel happy here like 45 year old has been beauty queens do spending inordinant amounts of money on expensive clothes. Spending time on message boards isnt true happiness. You and I both know that. If you want stimulation get a new friend or read a book. Dont come here.


1.Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I shouldn't have used "happy" as an adjective; I should have used entertained (due to the shortness of happiness these days :-? ).
2. I do waste time here (if waste is truly the word to describe it), and if you have been looking at my recent posts I agree that I really haven't been posting much and have been letting myself go on the Word Association thread I probably spend about an hour here (on ILP) and 3 or 4 hours (on the internet) everyday and when added up its 21-24 hours a week looking on my 14' screen but if I want to look at a screen 21-24 hours a week and it really is of no harm to me and I find it entertaining what's wrong with it? I shouldn't treat my computer as an evil device because its a magnet for the socially inept..
3.Maybe I do want to feel "safe" and belong to a community but that's a secondary/subconscious motive, I found this site when googling "religion forums" and I found the describing god thread; I came to ILP to genuinely participate in forums (which I should probably do more as opposed to messing around) and though I haven't made any long posts recently like I used to I still read quite a bit of other people's posts..
4. Point is; though there are activities I could do that are more socially respected that doesn't mean they are any better than this...
5. Just as one can learn an instrument and read a book; I can post here and read a book. They aren't alternatives
6. Maynard you and I both know that becoming happy isn't just learning instruments, taking a jog and socializing with real life friends... that just keeping yourself busy; true happiness can only be achieved by an extreme delusion (priesthood etc...)
The concept of a concept is a human concept. -Oran

I know what god is, but if i tried to explain it to you, it would make itself more complex out of spite... - Wonderer

If there is anything mankind will not resist it is a fat man with presents...

"He’s missing his liver. That’s how some kids react to the cafeteria food… the lucky ones." -School Nurse
User avatar
nickfdr
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:14 am
Location: I'm not sure

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Maynard James Keenan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:00 am

Two things popped out at me...

1) You are experienceing a lack of happiness these days.

2) You spend an inordenant amount of time on these message boards.

Could it be that this "escape" is whats causing the preffesed lack of happiness?
Maynard James Keenan
BANNED
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby realunoriginal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:04 am

The hypocrisy is mounting.

What are you doing here, tool?


You are a slave to the words I type and you resent me for this.
If the road to Hell is paved with good intentions then I am headed straight to Heaven!!!

The more I learn, the more I question my will to learn.
User avatar
realunoriginal
BANNED
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:16 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Maynard James Keenan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:05 am

realunoriginal wrote:The hypocrisy is mounting.

What are you doing here, tool?


You are a slave to the words I type and you resent me for this.


I am trying to help you and you are pushing me away. If you push people like me away on message boards God only knows what you do to the people who care about you in real life.
Maynard James Keenan
BANNED
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby realunoriginal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 am

Maynard James Keenan wrote:I am trying to help you and you are pushing me away. If you push people like me away on message boards God only knows what you do to the people who care about you in real life.

If you want to help me, then say something worth saying.

Otherwise say nothing to me.
If the road to Hell is paved with good intentions then I am headed straight to Heaven!!!

The more I learn, the more I question my will to learn.
User avatar
realunoriginal
BANNED
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:16 am

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby nickfdr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:16 am

Maynard James Keenan wrote:Could it be that this "escape" is whats causing the preffesed lack of happiness?


It is not the denial of the problems that drove me to runaway from it; it was the acceptance of them..

Maynard on the 1 to 10 happiness scale what are you with 1 being skulls and depression and 10 being sunshine and rainbows, I'm about 5 or 6
The concept of a concept is a human concept. -Oran

I know what god is, but if i tried to explain it to you, it would make itself more complex out of spite... - Wonderer

If there is anything mankind will not resist it is a fat man with presents...

"He’s missing his liver. That’s how some kids react to the cafeteria food… the lucky ones." -School Nurse
User avatar
nickfdr
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:14 am
Location: I'm not sure

Re: Why do you post on an internet message board?

Postby Maynard James Keenan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 am

nickfdr wrote:
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Could it be that this "escape" is whats causing the preffesed lack of happiness?


It is not the denial of the problems that drove me to runaway from it; it was the acceptance of them..

Maynard on the 1 to 10 happiness scale what are you with 1 being skulls and depression and 10 being sunshine and rainbows, I'm about 5 or 6


Anywhere between a 2 and a 4 depending on the day.
Maynard James Keenan
BANNED
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users