Your Top Ten Movies All Time

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Postby aspacia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:59 am

[quote="tmminionman2"]1. The Blues Brothers (original)
2. Animal House
7. Monty python's 3 movies (meaning of life is the best)

Yes, they are in the collection.
"The moment you give up your principles and your values, the moment you laugh at those principles and those values, you are dead, your culture is dead, your civilization is dead. Period." Oriana Fallaci

God Bless America, The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave -- but with flaws that we are working on.

Qui es ignarus quod tumidus ero ignarus

fight CAIR

Know your friends well; know your enemies better. Know their weakness and exploit it to your advantage.

The idealist is incorrigible: if he is thrown out of heaven he makes an ideal of his hell. Friedrich Nietzsche

Aude aliquid dignum.
Dare something worthy.
aspacia
BANNED

Postby aspacia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:30 am

someoneisatthedoor wrote:I do laugh at people who put The Matrix and American Pie in their top 10 movies lists. It reveals more about their lack of having watched a lot of movies more than anything else

[.quote]You humility shines through[/quote]

Not that I mean to blow my own trumpet but I've seen just about every movie mentioned on this thread (I'm a film student) and there's no way The Matrix is more worthy of a top 10 slot than, say, The Godfather trilogy or just about any Kubrick film you care to mention.

Nevermind, here's my ten (in no particular order)

1) Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1958)
2) A Clockwork Orange (Kubrick, 1971)
3) The Last Broadcast (Stefan Avalos, 1998) - a tremendously original precursor to the Blair Witch Project with more ontological undertones
4) Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1957)
5) Pi (Darren Aranofsky, 1998)
6) Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick, 1999)
7) Life is Beautiful (Roberto Benigni, 1999) - much better Holocaust movie than Schindler's List
8) Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Robert Zemekis, 1988) - best existential movie of all time
9) Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
10) King Kong (Merian Cooper, 1933)

I have only taken one film class, and do not insult others for liking different movies than I do. IMO, only #1 and 4 on your list are worthy of mention. Ever seen A Lion in Winter. This is one of the best scripted, best acted, best cinematography films ever made. How about Branaugh's Henry IV, or Lean's Lawrence of Arabia? What about Glory, Poltergeist, the list is huge. If you haven't seen them, try.

I would have liked to have found space for a few others, including Fritz Lang's Metropolis

Hum, the silent 20's film. If so, it was well-done and had a potent meaning regarding industrialization.

and a 70s sci-fi movie called Capricorn One all about a faked mission to Mars.

Yes, I enjoyed Capricorn One, James Brolin was in it ??? Do not own it.

But those are my ten, and they are all far, far better than American Pie.

edit - I'd also like to add to the list Mean Streets, which I think is the best gangster movie ever made, and not just because of the soundtrack. Also anything written by Charlie Kaufmann (i.e. Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine etc.). He's a big fan of Nietzsche, you know.
:roll: :roll: :roll: [/quote]

Hum, never heard of Mean Streets and did not know Kaufman was Malkovich's pseudonym. Love Malkovich. Did you see Dangerous Liasons with Glen Close? Great flick and is in the collection.
"The moment you give up your principles and your values, the moment you laugh at those principles and those values, you are dead, your culture is dead, your civilization is dead. Period." Oriana Fallaci

God Bless America, The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave -- but with flaws that we are working on.

fight CAIR

Know your friends well; know your enemies better. Know their weakness and exploit it to your advantage.

The idealist is incorrigible: if he is thrown out of heaven he makes an ideal of his hell. Friedrich Nietzsche

Aude aliquid dignum.
Dare something worthy.
aspacia
BANNED

Postby aspacia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:32 am

The Underground Man wrote:How could no one have mentioned:

The Beach -- that was one hell of a good movie!

Hum, sounds familiar. Who was in it and what is the plot? :-?

fight CAIR

Aude aliquid dignum.
Dare something worthy.
aspacia
BANNED

Postby aspacia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:44 am

thirst4metal wrote:Hello F(r)iends,

Below is my current top ten and then some... {in order as of 08/22/2005}

02. The Godfather

[.quote] My significant other loves the trilogy and it is in the collection.
03. Gone With The Wind

Well acted, great music, and great cinamatography, somewhat historically inaccurate regarding the slaves.

04. Casablanca

African Queen too.

09. Devils Advocate
10. Stand By Me
11. Saving Private Ryan

Big thumbs-up.

16. Lord of the Rings: Pt. 1

Big thumbs-up for the whole trilogy. Read the Hobbit and the trilogy as a child and named my first old English Sheep Dog Bilbo Baggins

17. Braveheart

My other half loves this.

19. Kill Bill Vol. 1
20. Reservoir Dogs

Much too violent for me, but my son owns Resevoir Dogs and loves it.

Personally, I think that "Life is Beautiful" was not a great film not even for a foreign film, I think "A Beautiful Mind" was a tad dull,

Agreed, but what about Goodwill Hunting? I loved it.

I think that "American Beauty" is out of its league with any top 50 movies,

To each his or her own.
I think that "Schindler's List" is one of the greatest documentaries (and maybe top 50 movie),

Agreed.

fight CAIR

Aude aliquid dignum.
Dare something worthy.
aspacia
BANNED

Postby aspacia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:55 am

Sagesound wrote:
someoneisatthedoor wrote:
Sagesound wrote:I don't think I ever could come down to my all time favorite top ten movies because there's just too many of them..maybe a top 50 but that's too many to list right now... so... I'm going to do something different, and actually a lot easier. I'll list my top ten favorite directors...

Sagesound's Top Ten Directors

1. Akira Kurosawa
2. Stanley Kubrick
3. Stephen Spielberg
4. John McTeirnan
5. John Carpenter
6. James Cameron
7. Ridley Scott
8. Quentin Tarantino
9. Frank Darabont
10. John Milius

What, no John Huston, David Lean, Sir Richard Attenboro?

Hum, any of you seen Gallipoli or Breaker Morant? Both outstanding Aussi films. Of course a young Mel Gibson in Gallipoli is not hard to look at. 8)

Hum the movie Sand Pebbles, Bullit, Tom Horn, comes to mind as well.

fight CAIR

Aude aliquid dignum.
Dare something worthy.
aspacia
BANNED

Postby aspacia » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:05 am

Skydaemon wrote:Old Gobbo wrote:
Also.. how do you guys feel about David Lynch? i think muholland drive is... a mindboggling genuis film.

[.quote] Never saw it.

As for my attempt at a top ten, here goes, but this is subject to change weekly.
1. Alien (yeah I'm weird)

Then so am I. The first Alien was great suspense similar to Poltergeist.

2. The Princess Bride

Yes, cute flick, great camp. Hum, brings to mind Time Bandits.

5. Psycho

Yes, great suspense.

6. Gladiator

Well done and really loved the music, especially the battle scenes.

9. Seven Samurai

Saw this after seeing the Magnificent Seven which is based on the Seven Samurai. I liked the Magnificent Seven and its soundtrack more.

10. Sin City

Never saw it, guess I should as I am living in a suburb of Sin City.

fight CAIR

Aude aliquid dignum.
Dare something worthy.
aspacia
BANNED

Postby Manifested » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:39 am

I'll try for somewhat of an order, but I think I'm doing a top 20 list.
Here goes....

20 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
19 10 Things I Hate About You
18 Boondock Saints
17 True Romance
16 Taxi Driver
15 Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
14 Spider-Man 2
13 Sin City
12 Adaptation
11 American Beauty
10 The Breakfast Club
9 Heathers
8 Moulin Rouge
7 Indiana Jones trilogy (esp The Last Crusade)
6 Star War trilogy (origenal)
5 Pulp Fiction
4 Fight Club
3 The Princess Bride
2 Mononoke Hime

And my no. 1 favorite movie of all time is....
1 Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi aka Spirited Away

Top ten Directors

10 Stephen Chow
9 John Woo
8 Quentin Terrentino
7 Yimou Zhang
6 Robert Rodriguez
5 Sam Raimi
4 Alfred Hitchcock
3 Martin Scorcese
2 Hoyao Miyazaki
1 Akira Kurosawa
Manifested
Philosopher

Location: Third star to the right and straight on 'till morning.

Postby Skydaemon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:40 am

Sagesound wrote:
It's really interesting you mentioned Cameron, because one of the reasons I put him on the list is what he did with the Alien saga. Don't get me wrong, Ridley Scott is a maker of masterpieces, and Alien sure stacks up there - which is why I said it was interesting you brought this up. However, Cameron took the idea Scott initiated and went further, more in-depth, and made a movie that made you proud to say: "sequels are better." Of course, I don't like all Cameron films, but the ones of his that I have watched displayed a creative and fun approach to movie-making. Like you said, he likes to add his own fluff into the movies. Sometimes this is a good thing, and sometimes not, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be shut out from getting noticed.

I have no intention of shutting him out. I would agree that that is one of the best sequels ever, but I still like the original better. Although the little bit of added knowledge that in the chestbursting scene only Scott and Hurt knew what was going to happen. All the reactions are real. Cameron is good, but he doesn't make my top ten, probably around 13-15 somewhere.
Thirst wrote:
Ugh! Another mention of "American Beauty." Why? Why is this a top ten film for you?

Also, I think that "House of Flying Daggers" was a better all around film than "Hero" and that neither flick belongs amid the top 40 greatest of all time. But my specific problem with "Hero" is that despite its flawless cinematography and masterful choreography there was so little emotional appeal to Nameless...

American Beauty because the bitter irony and total mid-life crisis kinda feeling got to me at the time. It was mostly timing, but its stuck with me. Its just one of those movies that happened at the right place and time.

As for Hero vs. House, I really liked both. House came very close. I liked Hero more because I'm kind of an art freak and it was prettier. Plus, I liked the storytelling method in it very much, which I can understand if others don't. House had a couple things I didn't like as much, but I liked the overall story better. It may end up in the top ten at some point.

For aspacia,
I would recommend seeing Mulholland Drive. I liked it, but it can be weird. There's a tip to watching it according to my friend, but I think you should just see it and see what you think first.

Yeah, Poltergeist was good, but didn't strike me the same way Alien did, but would still be in the top 50 somwhere for sure.

Oh yeah, Time Bandits was great for that awesome goofiness/kid appeal to it.

I think that Gladiator definitely was supported by its soundtrack. Everything was so appropriate. And it drove the scenes without interfering. I've liked all of Hans Zimmer soundtrack work that i've heard.

I did like the Mag. Seven, but I will always like Seven Samurai better. It was the first epicly long movie I ever saw and I never got bored. Kurosawa invented so much of the cinematography we use now. He was a master of simplicity and honest movie work.

Sin City makes my list because I had read the comics and loved them. Frank Miller should be proud. He helped turn that into all that I read and that very seldom happens. To have a movie live up to its source material is something we're losing the ability to do I think.
Once again there is pain, I bring flames, I bring cold; I'm the Blood Red Sandman coming home; On this unholy night, I will make you my own; Blood Red Sandman coming home again. - Lordi
Skydaemon
ILP Legend

Postby someoneisatthedoor » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:58 pm

aspacia wrote:
someoneisatthedoor wrote:I do laugh at people who put The Matrix and American Pie in their top 10 movies lists. It reveals more about their lack of having watched a lot of movies more than anything else

You humility shines through

Perhaps. But you have to admit there have been an awful lot of recent movies in these 'top 10 of all time' lists...

Not that I mean to blow my own trumpet but I've seen just about every movie mentioned on this thread (I'm a film student) and there's no way The Matrix is more worthy of a top 10 slot than, say, The Godfather trilogy or just about any Kubrick film you care to mention.

Nevermind, here's my ten (in no particular order)

1) Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1958)
2) A Clockwork Orange (Kubrick, 1971)
3) The Last Broadcast (Stefan Avalos, 1998) - a tremendously original precursor to the Blair Witch Project with more ontological undertones
4) Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1957)
5) Pi (Darren Aranofsky, 1998)
6) Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick, 1999)
7) Life is Beautiful (Roberto Benigni, 1999) - much better Holocaust movie than Schindler's List
8) Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Robert Zemekis, 1988) - best existential movie of all time
9) Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
10) King Kong (Merian Cooper, 1933)

I have only taken one film class, and do not insult others for liking different movies than I do. IMO, only #1 and 4 on your list are worthy of mention. Ever seen A Lion in Winter. This is one of the best scripted, best acted, best cinematography films ever made. How about Branaugh's Henry IV, or Lean's Lawrence of Arabia? What about Glory, Poltergeist, the list is huge. If you haven't seen them, try.

I loathe Branagh, I thought Lawrence of Arabia was nothing more than an epic, it might as well have been Troy, Spartacus or Gladiator. None of which impressed me other than visually.

I would have liked to have found space for a few others, including Fritz Lang's Metropolis

Hum, the silent 20's film. If so, it was well-done and had a potent meaning regarding industrialization.

It's certainly a greater accomplishment than American Pie.

and a 70s sci-fi movie called Capricorn One all about a faked mission to Mars.

Yes, I enjoyed Capricorn One, James Brolin was in it ??? Do not own it.

As was OJ Simpson.

But those are my ten, and they are all far, far better than American Pie.

edit - I'd also like to add to the list Mean Streets, which I think is the best gangster movie ever made, and not just because of the soundtrack. Also anything written by Charlie Kaufmann (i.e. Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine etc.). He's a big fan of Nietzsche, you know.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Hum, never heard of Mean Streets and did not know Kaufman was Malkovich's pseudonym. Love Malkovich. Did you see Dangerous Liasons with Glen Close? Great flick and is in the collection.

Kaufmann is the screenwriter, he isn't a pseudonym for Malkovich. I have seen Dangerous Liasons, but I don't remember it too well. Mean Streets was Scorcese's first gangster movie and stars a very, very young Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro, as well as some other actors who have become staples of the ganster genre.
someoneisatthedoor
threshold darkener

Postby someoneisatthedoor » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:06 pm

Has anyone here seen the adaptation of Brave New World from the late 90s, starring Leonard Nimoy?
someoneisatthedoor
threshold darkener

Postby Sagesound » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:35 pm

someoneisatthedoor wrote:Has anyone here seen the adaptation of Brave New World from the late 90s, starring Leonard Nimoy?

Is it still called Brave New World? If so, how much on par is it with the original novel? That book is so cool, Huxley has to have been a seer or something...
I know the truth about ILP.
Sagesound
Sagaciously Auditorial

Postby someoneisatthedoor » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:06 am

Sagesound wrote:
someoneisatthedoor wrote:Has anyone here seen the adaptation of Brave New World from the late 90s, starring Leonard Nimoy?

Is it still called Brave New World? If so, how much on par is it with the original novel? That book is so cool, Huxley has to have been a seer or something...

Yep, it retains the title, the story and the characters (Marx etc.) of the original book. It's a bit low budget, so some of the sets look slightly naff, but everything else about it is very good in my view. The savage quoting Shakespeare (Caliban, of course) is well handled, though I would have liked to have seen a somacam.

I can recommend it.
someoneisatthedoor
threshold darkener

Postby nofearinc » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:29 am

I want to thank you all about the recommendation of "The Shawshank Redemption" and to add it to my top 10 favourite movies list. It made me really appreciate my freedom, my hope and my faith.
The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
There are no facts, only interpretations.
F. Nietzsche
nofearinc

Postby detrop » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:32 pm

"Lord of War" sucked beyond all recognition. What a terrible come-back for Nicholas Cage.

I like Cage, but I think Hollywood thought he was cooler than he really was, and so set him up with a character that required more than he could give. He just didn't make a good black-market arms dealer. And the co-stars were nobodys, which made Cage look even worse.

I gave it two thumbs down.
detrop
"ist" wannabe

Postby Helmet Head » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:47 pm

plus Nickolas Cage looks like a horse, but the best all-time movie EVER made it

Black Hawk Down
When ya know, ya know, but don't keep the know to yourself.
Helmet Head

Postby someoneisatthedoor » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:19 pm

Con Air

Cage plays an invincible hick who has been wrongly jailed

'Put the bunny back in the box'
someoneisatthedoor
threshold darkener

Postby Helmet Head » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:24 pm

ya, thats a ok movie but when TNT plays it every other day it get old
and i dont like the end either, i wanted someone to get shanked, like that pilot
When ya know, ya know, but don't keep the know to yourself.
Helmet Head

Postby Utilitarian » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:13 am

Top Ten Movies That I Enjoyed The Most (May Not Be Classics)*

Pulp Fiction
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
American History X
Good Will Hunting
Trainspotting
American Beauty
Sin City
City Of God

*Note that there's still a list of movies that I must see that could very well take this list.
Utilitarian

Postby Gobbo » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:50 pm

The Usual Suspects

The ending actually gave me the shivers... and I guessed/knew what would happen!

wicked movie.. Kevin Spacey is an acting god.
Gobbo
Choronzon

Postby Utilitarian » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:39 pm

Old_Gobbo wrote:Kevin Spacey is an acting god.

I'll drink to that!
Utilitarian

Postby someoneisatthedoor » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:14 pm

Spacey is a surprisingly adaptable actor. He can deliver the comic lines with superb timing, the romantic lines with passion and sexuality, the dramatic lines with force, his physique seems to look different in every film...

He's a talented guy. And the Usual Suspects is a cracker. Won the audience award at Cannes, if I remember correctly.
someoneisatthedoor
threshold darkener

Postby GateControlTheory » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:39 pm

In no particular order...

Good Fellas
The Verdict
Unforgiven
Apocalypse Now
John Carpenter's The Thing
Natural Born Killers
Blue Velvet
The People vs. Larry Flynt
The Exorcist
Trix's All Nude Webcam Fiesta
Kids, don't try this at home.

"You guys just sit here thinking you're so smart, but you merely take a long time to say essentially nothing."

-Ade
GateControlTheory
Level 31 Philosopher

Postby Gobbo » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:40 am

Trix's All Nude Webcam Fiesta

yes
Gobbo
Choronzon

Postby The Underground Man » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:57 am

aspacia wrote:
The Underground Man wrote:How could no one have mentioned:

The Beach -- that was one hell of a good movie!

Hum, sounds familiar. Who was in it and what is the plot? :-?

The Beach, was more or less a hollywood mainstream flick with Leonardo Decaprio in the lead role. Leo and a French couple on vacation in the south Atlantic find a map leading to a secluded, beautiful beach -- to which the three of them set out to explore. The beach is incredible; there is a whole private community there, which has turned its back on the world; they grow their own crops, pot, and live in "paradise." That is, until jelousy, envy, power, and a few other things go wrong which leads to the ostracizing of Leo, and a re-evaluation of what "paradise" really is. It's also an interesting look at human nature.

I was in my mid-teens when I saw this film, but really enjoyed it -- and still think it's a worthwhile movie to see. Not a classic, but a good movie nevertheless.
Last edited by The Underground Man on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hence, viper thoughts, that coil around my mind,
Reality's dark dream!
I turn from you, and listen to the wind. Coleridge

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant; we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." Einstein
The Underground Man
Philosopher

Postby Gobbo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:10 am

Yeah it really is... the book is amazing.
Gobbo
Choronzon

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat