a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:47 pm

John Green

Nobody gets anybody else, not really. We're all stuck inside ourselves.

Note to John:
I've given up trying to explain this to them here.

There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities...

Go figure, right?

When she fucked up all those years ago, just a little girl terrified into paralysis, she fell onto the enigma of herself.

But not you, right?

As I recall, you promised to call when you finished the book, not text.

Never texted in my life, he bragged.

You'd think solving mysteries would bring you closure, that closing the loop would comfort and quiet your mind. But it never does. The truth always disappoints.

Trust me: not always.
But you already knew that of course.

Incidentally, did you know that the whole eight glasses a day thing is complete bullshit and has no scientific basis? So many things are like that. Everyone just assumes they're true, because people are basically lazy and incurious, which incidentally is one of those words that sounds like it wouldn't be a word but is.

Any incurious people here? And, no, not just the pinheads.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:02 pm

Werner Twertzog

Those who choose the "road less travelled" are often murdered by paramilitary gangs.

These days in other words.

Dear America: You train your children into apathy and stupidity the way the Spartans trained their warriors to become invincible in battle.

After all, look at all the pinheads here. And I'll bet most of them are Americans.

When writing dialogue, simply pretend to be stupid in different ways.

And, no, not just in Hollywood.

Half of Americans are below average in intelligence, and so herd immunity is impossible.

Idiocracy let's call iot.

James Bond is important for showing that espionage is a branch of the fashion industry.

Yep, yet another one is out there.

Remain vigilant as trees, thoughtful as stones, and as silent as the grave.

Don't post it in other words.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Bette Davis

You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good. Joan Crawford is dead. Good.

We've all got our own rendition of that.

You will never be happier than you expect. To change your happiness, change your expectation.

Nope, that didn't work either.

Getting old is not for sissies.

Cue godot.

My passions were all gathered together like fingers that made a fist.

She said looking for a target.

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

If it ever does at all.

One can make more enemies as a female with a brain, I think.

You, phoneutria!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:15 pm

Werner Twertzog

Where is my trillion dollar coin?

Just what we need, another meme.

Your use of "problematic" is problematic. And that, too, is problematic. It is problematic all the way down.

On the back of the problematic turtle.

"The horror" seems inadequate now, does it not?

Oh, it does indeed.

Dear Americans: Do you regret that you spent the majority of your life working for institutions that you know, at 3AM, are indisputably evil?

Or at lesst by the crack of dawn.

It is not that I hate the U.S.
I love it. I love it very much.
But I love it against my better judgment.

Next up: your country.

If you want to know where you rank in the hierarchy of evil, simply look at your paycheck.

Or the check from the government.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:07 pm

Thomas Ligotti

No other life forms know they are alive, and neither do they know they will die. This is our curse alone. Without this hex upon our heads, we would never have withdrawn as far as we have from the natural—so far and for such a time that it is a relief to say what we have been trying with our all not to say: We have long since been denizens of the natural world. Everywhere around us are natural habitats, but within us is the shiver of startling and dreadful things. Simply put: We are not from here. If we vanished tomorrow, no organism on this planet would miss us. Nothing in nature needs us.

Yo, Maia! Rebuttal please.

Madness, mayhem, erotic vandalism, devastation of innumerable souls - while we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.

Not unlike godot.

Nonexistence never hurt anyone. Existence hurts everyone.

Well, as Woody Allen would remind us, not counting all the good things.

Most people learn to save themselves by artificially limiting the content of consciousness.

After all, ignorance is bliss.

A: There is no grand scheme of things.
B: If there were a grand scheme of things, the fact – the fact – that we are not equipped to perceive it, either by natural or supernatural means, is a nightmarish obscenity.
C: The very notion of a grand scheme of things is a nightmarish obscenity.

D: cue the pinheads?

It has always seemed to me that my existence consisted purely and exclusively of nothing but the most outrageous nonsense.

You know, being optimistic.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:59 pm

Werner Twertzog

God’s sense of humor means the evil prosper, eternally, as we all know.

Subsumed in His mysterious ways of course.

Most evil is committed by people who just want to keep their jobs.

No, really, think about that.

Young Americans are watching "The Sopranos" because the Mafia offers a moral code--honor, family, religion--that challenges the unbridled, amoral forces of late capitalism, as we all know.

Kind of anyway.

How about instead of playing the National Anthem before U.S. sporting events, there could be an inspirational reading of the Bill of Rights?

What, and be called a Communist?!

People who need people are people I avoid.

At the very least.

There is no justice. All will be lost. Nothing will be remembered. Your life is meaningless.
Now finish cleaning your room, and maybe there will be ice cream.

The Golden Mean!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:37 pm

Fernando Pessoa

The feelings that hurt most, the emotions that sting most, are those that are absurd - The longing for impossible things, precisely because they are impossible; nostalgia for what never was; the desire for what could have been; regret over not being someone else; dissatisfaction with the world’s existence. All these half-tones of the soul’s consciousness create in us a painful landscape, an eternal sunset of what we are.

Sound familiar? No, I didn't think so.

I wasn’t meant for reality, but life came and found me.

Yo, Mom and Dad!

I am nothing. I'll never be anything. I couldn't want to be something. Apart from that, I have in me all the dreams in the world.

Paradoxically as it were.

If you cannot live alone, you were born a slave.

I wouldn't go quite that far. You know, on the good days.

There are no norms. All people are exceptions to a rule that doesn’t exist.

Didn't I tell you?

Why is art beautiful? Because it's useless. Why is life ugly? Because it's all ends and purposes and intentions.

Human all too human as it were.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby aniceguy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:49 pm

Why is art beautiful? Because it's useless. Why is life ugly? Because it's all ends and purposes and intentions.

Human all too human as it were.

Fine example of a pretentious dullard talking shit and sowing confusion left and right. Nothing written above is clear or insightful. There is no worse curse than having to listen to Nietzsche fanboys.
aniceguy

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:15 pm

yap yap yap

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:58 pm

iambiguous wrote:yap yap yap

=D>
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:26 pm

Existential Comics

Harry Potter is considered a fantasy because fascism is defeated by technocratic elites who wish to preserve the old world order.

Just out of curiosity, does this make sense?

Freedom of speech, from what I gather, is when billionaires own the newspapers, television stations, and social media sites, and they get to unilaterally control what is said on their platforms, with zero accountability to the public.

"Yo, Jeff Bezos! Fuck you!!"
I think that's the point.

A silicon valley dude, creating billions of dollars in value: "what if we create an app that takes a little bit of everyone else's money whenever they do anything."

Breathing for example.

My nightmare is for an alien species shows up to Earth and they turn out to be Gamers.

Yo, Dan! Rebuttal please.

The most bizarre part of capitalist ideology is the idea that the good of society and the good of the individual are in conflict with each other.

Let's explain that.

"Do you believe in the supernatural?" is such a funny question because the "supernatural" is by definition things that don't exist. If ghosts or magic or whatever existed they would be part of the natural world.

Not counting God of course.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Tallulah Bankhead

I'm as pure as the driven slush.

Not easy to describe, is it?

Will TV kill the theater? If the programs I have seen, save for "Kukla, Fran and Ollie," the ball games and the fights, are any criterion, the theater need not wake up in a cold sweat.

Another dangling conversation?

For acting, darlings, is the world's most perilous trade. Compared with actors, steeple jacks and deep-sea divers lead snug and placid lives.

Of course that's all changed.
You know, if it actually has.

There is less in this than meets the eye.

Let alone the mind.

A Republican. A Republican. That's worse than being a goddamned Communist!

Cue the Coalition of Truth. Or, to some here, the Coalition of Pinheads.

Don't think this has taught me a lesson!

Let's just imagine the context this time.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:40 pm

Doth

If anyone asks what your plans are for Halloween, look earnestly at the sky & say "reaching my final form."

Like, for example, I've reached mine here.

the zodiac killer whispering to his date while watching The Zodiac: "that’s not the zodiac"

Back to him again: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... estigation
Note to polishyouth: It's not you is it?

Does my ass look fat in this vast hellscape

Like Kim's on SNL? That sound you hear is John Belushi spinning in his grave.

I’m in a threesome with death and being alive.

Aren't we all?

Being able to avoid human interaction should be a basic human right

Aside from virtual interaction of course.

Thinking of all the things I could accomplish in life if I didn’t have absolute debilitating anxiety.

You too?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Mircea Eliade

The primitive magician, the medicine man or shaman is not only a sick man, he is above all, a sick man who has been cured, who has succeeded in curing himself.

Let's file this one under, "blah, blah, blah".

I don't want to be mediocre, this is the fear of my soul and my body.

Let alone a pinhead.

And I realize how useless wails are and how gratuitous melancholy is.

Welcome to the club, pal.

Whether religion is man-made is a question for philosophers or theologians. But the forms are man-made. They are a human response to something.

Oblivion, maybe?

...to have solely one thought, but it to be capable to destroy the universe.

That works for me.

Water symbolizes the whole of potentiality - the source of all possible existence.

I knew water would figure in there somewhere.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Jan Mieszkowski

“Nature is a Haunted House – but Art – a House that tries to be haunted.” Emily Dickinson

Next up: -- but Philosophy --

I think therefore I
Descartes: am
Marx: do
Kierkegaard: dare
Schopenhauer: despair

Next up: ShackledSpirit

Ontology: Let it be
Ethics: Let it be good
Aesthetics: Let it be beautiful
Politics: Let them eat cake

You know, if they can afford to.

Kant: Critique of Pure Reason
Sloterdijk: Critique of Cynical Reason
Spivak: Critique of Postcolonial Reason
Žižek: I wrote this 900-page book for no reason

Let's try to explain why Jan loathes Žižek.

Idealism: The mind's the limit
Materialism: The sky's the limit
Realism: The limit's the limit
Existentialism: It's Monday and we're all going to die

No, really, it's Monday. And we are all going to die.

Flight attendant: Is there a doctor on the plane?
Me: Yes, but I'm not that kind of …
Flight attendant: The pilots are debating what Nietzsche really meant with that thing about staring so long into the abyss that it stares back.
Me: Okay, I’m here.

On the other hand, what are the odds?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:09 pm

Steven Pinker

Sex and excretion are reminders that anyone's claim to round-the-clock dignity is tenuous. The so-called rational animal has a desperate drive to pair up and moan and writhe.

Fucking.
Shitting.
Human all too human.

Much of what is today called "social criticism" consists of members of the upper classes denouncing the tastes of the lower classes (bawdy entertainment, fast food, plentiful consumer goods) while considering themselves egalitarians.

On the other hand, much of it is also spot on.

The scriptures present a God who delights in genocide, rape, slavery, and the execution of nonconformists, and for millennia those writings were used to rationalize the massacre of infidels, the ownership of women, the beating of children, dominion over animals, and the persecution of heretics and homosexuals.

Yeah, explain that!

"Nature is a hanging judge," goes an old saying. Many tragedies come from our physical and cognitive makeup. Our bodies are extraordinarily improbable arrangements of matter, with many ways for things to go wrong and only a few ways for things to go right. We are certain to die, and smart enough to know it. Our minds are adapted to a world that no longer exists, prone to misunderstandings correctable only by arduous education, and condemned to perplexity about the deepest questions we can ascertain.

Yeah, explain that!

Thanks to the redundancy of language, yxx cxn xndxrstxnd whxt x xm wrxtxng xvxn xf x rxplxcx xll thx vxwxls wxth xn "x" (t gts lttl hrdr f y dn't vn kn whr th vwls r)

Yxx knxw, xn thx xxthxr/xr wxrld.

The supposedly immaterial soul, we now know, can be bisected with a knife, altered by chemicals, started or stopped by electricity, and extinguished by a sharp blow or by insufficient oxygen.

But not God's soul, right?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 pm

God

On this day in 1492, America discovered smallpox, racism, slavery, and the Bible.

Actually that was yesterday.

To keep yourself healthy you should get 8 hours of sleep a day.
To keep the planet healthy you should get 24.

Note to God: what about your own extinction events?

I think you have enough porn now.

Not to mention religion.

The ends rarely justify the means because they rarely even justify the ends.

Your ends in particular, Mr. Pinhead.

I applied to be a god in India but apparently they’re overstaffed.

A little help with this one please.

Instagram and Facebook are currently not working, as are democracy, society and a healthy sense of self.

Were currently not working. Though for some here ILP is the next best thing.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:13 pm

Yuval Noah Harari

The romantic contrast between modern industry that “destroys nature” and our ancestors who “lived in harmony with nature” is groundless. Long before the Industrial Revolution, Homo sapiens held the record among all organisms for driving the most plant and animal species to their extinctions. We have the dubious distinction of being the deadliest species in the annals of life.

Another myth bites the dust. You know, if that's actually true.

Money is the most universal and most efficient system of mutual trust ever devised.

When we're not exploiting, oppressing and even killing for it.

Questions you cannot answer are usually far better for you than answers you cannot question.

Let's decide if this is more or less profound than it sounds.

...happiness does not really depend on objective conditions of either wealth, health or even community. Rather, it depends on the correlation between objective conditions and subjective expectations.

Let's decide if this is more or less profound than it sounds.

As far as we can tell from a purely scientific viewpoint, human life has absolutely no meaning. Humans are the outcome of blind evolutionary processes that operate without goal or purpose. Our actions are not part of some divine cosmic plan, and if planet earth were to blow up tomorrow morning, the universe would probably keep going about its business as usual. As far as we can tell at this point, human subjectivity would not be missed. Hence any meaning that people inscribe to their lives is just a delusion.

Cue, among others, ShackledSpirit. You know, for the one true rebuttal.

Is there anything more dangerous than dissatisfied and irresponsible gods who don’t know what they want?

Dissatisfied and irresponsible pinheads?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:14 pm

tiny nietzsche

I lost some weight so I could fit into your schedule

Now that's commitment. You know, if he can keep it off.

all my abysses live in texas

less the aborted ones.

the future is fucked

Okay, but up the ass?
Let's discuss.

stop gaslighting yourself

Start here if you'd like: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/w ... ncna890866

ladies and gentlemen, we are laughing in space

On the other hand, isn't Earth itself in space.

I hope this telegram finds you well stop

On the other hand, did you send or receive it?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:54 pm

Emile M. Cioran

Time is heavy sometimes; imagine how heavy eternity must be.

You know, if you're around to note it.

If each of us were to confess his most secret desire, the one that inspires all his plans, all his actions, he would say: "I want to be praised."

Just not by the pinheads.

Is it possible that existence is our exile and nothingness our home?

How about this: which one last longer?

Old age, after all, is merely the punishment for having lived.

Tell me about it, he scowled.

A great step forward was made the day men understood that in order to torment one another more efficiently they would have to gather together, to organize themselves into a society.

And now, virtually!

I have decided not to oppose anyone ever again, since I have noticed that I always end by resembling my latest enemy.

For example, the sheer art of that here.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:02 pm

so sad today

just when you think life can’t get any longer

Now that's a good point!

i have no one to turn to because i don’t want to

Now that's a good point!

hi, i’m my own worst enemy, nice to meet you

In the flesh, he fantasized.

as long as i die instantaneously i’m fine with death

Let's just say I'm working on that.

looking for dopamine in all the wrong places

Anyone here know all the right places?

honestly fuck "how are you"

Let alone how I am.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:08 pm

Peter Watts

We all come into the story half way through, we all catch up as best we can, and we're all gonna die before it ends.

My guess: we meaning all of us.

Is a termite mound a construct? Beaver dam? Spaceship? Of course. Were they built by naturally evolved organisms, acting naturally? They were. So tell me how anything in the whole deep multiverse can ever be anything but natural?

I guess that includes pinheads too.

...something else set your body in motion, sent an executive summary - almost an afterthought - to the homunculus behind your eyes ...that arrogant subroutine that thinks of itself as The person, mistakes correlation for causality, ...and thinks He moved the finger.

The nerve of him!!

Brain’s got all kinds of gauges. You can know you’re blind even when you’re not; you can know you can see, even when you’re blind. And yeah, you can know you don’t exist even when you do. It’s a long list, commissar. Cotard’s, Anton’s, Damascus disease. Just for starters.

Let's start with Cotard's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion

So many things constrain us, from so many directions. The most altruistic and sustainable philosophies fail before the brute brain-stem imperative of self-interest. Subtle and elegant equations predict the behavior of the quantum world, but none can explain it. After four thousand years we can't even prove that reality exists beyond the mind of the first-person dreamer. We have such need of intellects greater than our own.

I know, I know: go figure.

When you’re undead, the emphasis is on the second syllable.

That can't be good.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:58 pm

sad socrates

I feel bad that there is anything at all.

Trust me: just give it time.

Misery is humanity’s greatest inspiration.

You wouldn't think so, would you?

Books give the illusion that something is happening in the world.

Let's give it our best shot and refute this.

I’m not scared, I’m bored.

Anyone here ever been both? You know, at the same time.

I only feel what’s missing.

Not much that isn't, he surmised.

No Thyself

Or, sure, no others instead.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Garry Winogrand

What if I said that every photograph I made was set up? From the photograph, you can't prove otherwise. You don't know anything from the photograph about how it was made, really.

Any setter uppers here? Aside from the obvious ones.

It's very easy to make successful photographs - it's very easy.

Or, here, successful posts. You just call them successful.

I'm trying to learn more and more about what's possible.

It could be with a camera, it could be with a word.

There are no photographs while I'm reloading.

Wow, that's true isn't it?

People are just dumb. They misunderstand.

Photography being the least of it.

When I look at photographs, I couldn't care less "how."

Now that's bullshit.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:54 pm

Philosophy Tweets

"Not ignorance, but ignorance of ignorance is the death of knowledge.” Alfred North Whitehead

And, no, not just the pinheads here. But especially them.

"The art of living is the art of knowing how to believe lies." Cesare Pavese

Define art?

"One lives in the hope of becoming a memory." Antonio Porchia

Define hope?

“We think in generalities, but we live in details.” Alfred North Whitehead

Or, here, for some, in "general description intellectual contraptions".

"I tend to resist invitations to interpret my own fiction." J. M. Coetzee

Like that will stop them.

"Lebanon, Israel, Ireland, South Africa - wherever there is a bleeding sore on the body of the world, the same hard-eyed narrow-minded fanatics are busy, indifferent to life, in love with death." J. M. Coetzee

And, of course, virtually, here.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat