What are you doing?

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: What are you doing?

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:45 am

like philosophy is a way that you get trained to think. you can have the philosophy of economics or morals or politics of social philosophy or all the "philosophy ofs" but thats just applying a way of thinking to some subject matter or another. so you can't just learn philosophy by talking about those things. you've gotta do the hard shit and read a whole bunch of really boring and dense stuff. and it can't be all those continental guys just who just basically whine about the human condition and existentialism and all that. it's gotta be the horrible boring shit that you have to take notes on and that it might take you a month of thinking just to get one small part of an argument.
Last edited by Mr Reasonable on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:50 am

like all these people out here trying to talk about power and nobility and energy and waves and all that sort of stuff and im like bruh until you have a proper understanding of functionalism and reductionism and descriptivism and a firm grasp of what does and does not constitute a theory in and of itself i mean if im being honest the whole bit where they're trying to do philosophy just looks like a bunch of stoned freshmen talking about how the universe is shaped like a horse saddle and how black holes are like bending time and shit whle they sit and smoke that weed. it's just dummy talk.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:51 am

if i were capable of giving a shit it would be really frustrating to watch

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:15 am

but i would rather be at this beach. galveston yesterday morning before hopping on a plane at george bush airport on 9/11.

Last edited by Mr Reasonable on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:22 am

wendy the best book that you can get if you want to learn philosophy is the oxford dictionary of philosophy. no kidding. before you can go about the task of finding the futility in trying to solve problems for which by their nature solutions are impossible, you've gotta learn the jargon. it'll end up saving you a lot of time if you can see that whole conversations that people are having can be summed up in one or two words in a lot of cases. once you've got some of that lingo down it'll be a lot easier to move on. plus you can just put it in your bathroom and read entries while you poop so you don't end up wasting so much time trying to decide whether monism or dualism or true or whether it's free will or determinism that is correct and all that.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Meno_ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:49 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:wendy the best book that you can get if you want to learn philosophy is the oxford dictionary of philosophy. no kidding. before you can go about the task of finding the futility in trying to solve problems for which by their nature solutions are impossible, you've gotta learn the jargon. it'll end up saving you a lot of time if you can see that whole conversations that people are having can be summed up in one or two words in a lot of cases. once you've got some of that lingo down it'll be a lot easier to move on. plus you can just put it in your bathroom and read entries while you poop so you don't end up wasting so much time trying to decide whether monism or dualism or true or whether it's free will or determinism that is correct and all that.

Just hanging
Meno_
breathless

Postby MagsJ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:13 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:..the best book that you can get if you want to learn philosophy is the oxford dictionary of philosophy.

Dictionaries, encyclopaedias, concise summaries of specific topics.. always a good place to start in educating One’s-self, I agree. The trick is.. remembering it all. ; )
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:46 am

the best way to remember things is to be naturally able to remember things with minimal effort. the 2nd best way is repetition.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:00 am

Wishing I had access to a dance studio or nightclub complete with a DJ hitting bass so fast and heavy my innards vibrate. Total ear orgasms. Power dancing is the best!
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Mourning the corpse called philosophy.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby MagsJ » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:the best way to remember things is to be naturally able to remember things with minimal effort. the 2nd best way is repetition.

There are techniques that can be utilised, in aiding in accessing vast amounts of information from differing origins of information sources, simultaneously.. if anything, it would make for a good party trick.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:54 pm

For long term memorization of various things you might study, spaced repetition is the way to go. There's an app that helps called Anki.

For an ordered list of things you want to memorize (eg every American president in order), mind palace apparently works great. I've only tried it a couple times with limited success
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health

Previous

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat