a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:26 pm

Elena Epaneshnik

British humour – the only excuse for Brexit.

That and a few pinheads here

I know I may sound blasphemous and will probably get unfollowed by some or even many of you, but every time someone tells me I'm like Mother Theresa, I really want to punch them and watch them suffer - pretty much like she did.

Cue Christopher Hitchens?

A translator's dilemma: should I keep this extremely rare word, known to very few people, but bearing a fantastically vivid image and power, or should I replace it with another one, that is lifeless and bleak, but commonly used and understood?

Cue Anton Chigurh?

Silence is a foreign language most difficult to learn.

Like not posting here.

Just saw a teenage couple on the street, wearing masks, and dancing to the Shostakovich Waltz No. 2, playing on their phone. So far – the highlight of the year.

You know, in Russia.

In space, no one can hear you scream.
On earth, no one wants to hear you scream.

How about here?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Ernest Cline

I cleared my throat and recited my pass phrase. Each word appeared on my display as I said it. “No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful.

Want to know my pass phrase?

Maybe every time an intelligent species grew advanced enough to invent a global computer network, they would then develop some form of social media, which would immediately fill these beings with such an intense hatred for one another that they ended up wiping themselves out within four or five decades.

We're part of that for sure.

...he appeared to have run out of shits to give sometime in the previous century.

Not unlike me then.

But over the past few months, I'd come to see my rig for what it was: an elaborate contraption for deceiving my senses, to allow me to live in a world that didn't exist. Each component of my rig was a bar in a cell where I had willingly imprisoned myself.

Not unlike your own rig, right?

Re-creations of the Addams Family house, the abandoned shack in the Evil Dead trilogy, Tyler Durden’s flophouse in Fight Club, and the Lars Homestead on Tattooine.

Let's pretend we're on Jeopardy here.

What could possibly be worse? Cruz asked. A mission where you have to blow up a Death Star while being attacked by two Borg Cubes inside an asteroid field?

Worse? How about enduring the Kids and the fulminating fanatics here?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:52 pm

Werner Twertzog

We can do this the hard way, or we can do this the apocalyptic way.

I know: too close to call.

Thank you, pseudonymous "American" for thinking I am already dead and that "I was too badass for this world."
One of those statements is true.

Was that anyone here?

Go ahead and believe that you will be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you are dead. I know too much about you already.

Santa Claus, right?

Dear Idiots: Stop hitting “reply all .”

Or pinheads as I call them.

It is important, in the U.S., to die of COVID to show how much you detest policies that would lift your family out of ignorance and want, but that might, incidentally, also benefit non-white people.

Unless, of course, it's all a hoax. Right, Mr. Pinhead?

In the U.S. “hero” is a term applied to exploited front-line workers before they begin organizing.

Yo, Jeff!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat May 01, 2021 6:26 pm

Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Leonardo Da Vinci bores me. He ought to have stuck to his flying machine.

Whoa, he thought!

I've spent my life making blunders.

So, he thought, does that explain the one above?

With all their damned talk of modern painting, I've been forty years discovering that the queen of all colours is black!

Black is beautiful for example.

There are quite enough unpleasant things in life without the need to manufacture more.

Let alone post them here?

I arrange my subject as I want it, then I go ahead and paint it, like a child.

Don't we all?

On the whole, the modern palette is the same as the one used by the artists of Pompeii...I mean it has not been enriched. The ancients used earths, ochres, and ivory-black - you can do anything with that palette.

That explains something I suppose.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun May 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Sally Mann

Sometimes I think the only memories I have are those that I’ve created around photographs of me as a child. Maybe I’m creating my own life. I distrust any memories I do have. They may be fictions, too.

Me too. If I remember it correctly.

I’m so worried that I’m going to perfect my technique someday. I have to say its unfortunate how many of my pictures do depend upon some technical error.

Like my own philosophy here, right?

All the good pictures that came so easily now make the next set of pictures virtually impossible in your mind.

You know, like all your good posts here.

You can tell a good ruined lens, right from the get-go....That’s the kind of lens I'm looking for.

Next up: a bad ruined lens.

There's always a time in any series of work where you get to a certain point and your work is going steadily and each picture is better than the next, and then you sort of level off and that's when you realize that it's not that each picture is better then the next, it's that each picture up's the ante. And that every time you take one good picture, the next one has got to be better.

As though with photography that's an exact science.

There is a great quote from a female writer. She said, 'If you don't break out in a sweat of fear when you write, you are not writing well enough. I tend to agree. I think my best pictures come when I push myself.

He wondered: What the hell can that possibly mean?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sun May 02, 2021 8:28 pm

YOU CREEP FUCK STOP REPORTING ME YOU FUCKING COMMUNIST CUNT
At the beginning there was only Chaos, Night, dark Erebus, and deep Tartarus. Earth, the air and heaven had no existence. Firstly, blackwinged Night laid a germless egg in the bosom of the infinite deeps of Erebus, and from this, after the revolution of long ages, sprang the graceful Eros with his glittering golden wings, swift as the whirlwinds of the tempest. He mated in deep Tartarus with dark Chaos, winged like himself, and thus hatched forth our race, which was the first to see the light. That of the Immortals did nove yielded themselves to their lovers when almost at the end of their youth, being led away by the gift of a quail, a waterfowl, a goose, or a cock.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 pm

Werner Twertzog

This is an unfriendly reminder that your meaningless paperwork is late.

If you know what he means. And, sure, some here no doubt actually do.

John Waters is gay?
What does that even mean, anymore?

I once shook the man's hand here at the Charles Theater.
Didn't catch anything either.

The humblest prole in Germany lives amid culture, eats wholesome food, has free healthcare and education, and is loved by an extended family, but the American bourgeois lives amid ugliness, eats toxic garbage, is bankrupted by cancer or one child in college, and dies alone.

Of course Biden will change all that, right?

It is important for mentally ill white men to have semi-automatic weapons so that everyone else may live in a culture of fear, as we all know.

Wow, that sounds an awful lot like America!

Do not be distracted by bobcats. Bears, bears, bears, bears, bears, bears, bears . . . bears are the real menace, as we all know.

Gee, I wonder where that comes from.

This was a vile and debased decade.
But every decade is so.

True, but this one [so far] is clearly in the running to top the list.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sun May 02, 2021 9:17 pm

SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACE YOU WACKO CREEP. YOU ARE SUCH A LOWLIFE CREEP ITS UNBELIEVABLE, TALKING LUNATIC SHIT WHILST HAVING THE PRESENCE OF MIND TO PLOT TO GET RID OF PEOPLE YOU DONT LIKE...WHAT A FUCKING DISGUSTING DISTURBING FREAK CUNT. HAS THE ABILITY TO TELL NONSENSE FROM SENSE YET SELECTIVELY CHOOSES TO TALK INSANE SHIT AND PROOF HIMSELF AGAINST ANY SENSIBLE ACCUSATIONS WHILST USING HIS REASON ON THE BACKEND TO FUCK PEOPLE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU FUUUUCK!!!
At the beginning there was only Chaos, Night, dark Erebus, and deep Tartarus. Earth, the air and heaven had no existence. Firstly, blackwinged Night laid a germless egg in the bosom of the infinite deeps of Erebus, and from this, after the revolution of long ages, sprang the graceful Eros with his glittering golden wings, swift as the whirlwinds of the tempest. He mated in deep Tartarus with dark Chaos, winged like himself, and thus hatched forth our race, which was the first to see the light. That of the Immortals did nove yielded themselves to their lovers when almost at the end of their youth, being led away by the gift of a quail, a waterfowl, a goose, or a cock.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACE YOU WACKO CREEP. YOU ARE SUCH A LOWLIFE CREEP ITS UNBELIEVABLE, TALKING LUNATIC SHIT WHILST HAVING THE PRESENCE OF MIND TO PLOT TO GET RID OF PEOPLE YOU DONT LIKE...WHAT A FUCKING DISGUSTING DISTURBING FREAK CUNT. HAS THE ABILITY TO TELL NONSENSE FROM SENSE YET SELECTIVELY CHOOSES TO TALK INSANE SHIT AND PROOF HIMSELF AGAINST ANY SENSIBLE ACCUSATIONS WHILST USING HIS REASON ON THE BACKEND TO FUCK PEOPLE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU FUUUUCK!!!

Wow, irony doesn't get more mundane than this, right?

You know, if mundane is the right word. :lol:

Yo, Carleas, you're up! 8)

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sun May 02, 2021 11:00 pm

YOU THINK I GIVE A SHIT ABOUT BEING BANNED???HAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHA
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Mon May 03, 2021 4:25 pm

Robert Mapplethorpe

I don't think that there's that much difference between a photograph of a fist up someone's ass and a photograph of carnations in a bowl.

Some might disagree of course.

I am obsessed with beauty. I want everything to be perfect, and of course it isn’t. And that’s a tough place to be because you’re never satisfied.

Especially with a fist shoved up my ass, he thought.

My work is about seeing - seeing things like they haven't been seen before.

You tell me: https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... 66&bih=625

Beauty and the devil are the same thing.

Same meaning what exactly?

When I have sex with someone I forget who I am. For a minute I even forget I'm human. It's the same thing when I'm behind a camera. I forget I exist.

Must be a True Artist thing.

I went into photography because it seemed like the perfect vehicle for commenting on the madness of today's existence.

Imagine a philosopher doing that. And, no, not just me.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon May 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Werner Twertzog

I have been to more than 100 countries. The United States is the only one in which I fear being murdered for a minor traffic offense.

Or, here, offending one of the fulminating fanatic Kids?

Nothing against the whales, but I cannot even save myself.

They'll understand.

I never speak of my relationship with Helen Mirren. And it is not merely because of the nondisclosure agreement, and restraining order, as we all know.

Well, we all know now. If it isn't all just made up of course.

No, you do not get "to do what you love," unless what you love is soul-grinding misery in an office.

Fortunately, we're all doing what we love here, right?

It is important to ask subordinates to "speak freely" to identify the traitors.

You know, if you're the boss.

Why make dystopian fiction when we live in a dystopian reality?

For the bucks?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Margaret Mead

We — mankind — stand at the center of an evolutionary crisis, with a new evolutionary device — our consciousness of the crisis — as our unique contribution.

Right, and look at us now.

No society that feeds its children on tales of successful violence can expect them not to believe that violence in the end is rewarded.

Unless it's successful against Nazis of course.

The most intractable problem today is not pollution or technology or war; but the lack of belief that the future is very much in the hands of the individual.

So, what do you think...it's only gotten worse?

We are living beyond our means. As a people we have developed a life-style that is draining the earth of its priceless and irreplaceable resources without regard for the future of our children and people all around the world.

So, what do you think...it's only gotten much worse?

We grow up never questioning that which is unquestioned around us.

See, I told you.

Motherhood is a biological fact, while fatherhood is a social invention.

Yo, Satyr!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 pm

Existential Comics

The neoliberal solution to climate change is to hope that somehow it will become profitable to save the planet.

Actually, it might, right?

just think about how much time you waste scrolling twitter when instead you could be learning the intricate lore of Middle Earth

Anyone here ever been there?

I wouldn't have guessed it, but it turns out the best thing for my mental health during these trying times is for a big ass boat to get stuck in the Suez canal.

Me too, he thought.

Yes, we are only alive for a brief time, and we spend most of it working, and sleeping, and being sad, but, uh...well actually I forget where I was going with this.

My guess: to the grave.

American Newspapers right now are all like "Stop Asian Hate!" and then two days later run an five articles about how we have to destroy the Chinese economy or their evil influence will spread across the globe.

My guess: the media industrial complex.

We shouldn't vilify our political opponents too much. For example, a lot of libertarians are genuine in their motivation for a political system that maximizes human freedom, they are just really, really dumb.

More or less how the libertarians feel about us.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed May 05, 2021 5:02 pm

Napoleon Bonaparte

If I were to give liberty to the press, my power could not last three days.

Well, that's sort of true today. But only if you know what I mean.

In politics stupidity is not a handicap.

Wow, just like here! Right, Kids?

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

Come on, death is almost never nothing. Unless of course you need it to be.

A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.

A hell of a lot harder.

Once you have made up your mind, stick to it; there is no longer any 'if' or 'but'.

Trust me though: for better or for worse.

Who saves his country violates no law.

On the other hand, there is a left wing and a right ring version of this. Not to mention all the others in between.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Wed May 05, 2021 9:28 pm

Existential Comics

Sci-Fi idea: an evil billionaire is privatizing space travel, city infrastructure, and even basic necessities. He is attempting to create his own colonies where he owns and controls everything. But everyone loves him because he posts memes on online.

Hell, that could be anyone, right?

People think we don't indoctrinate our citizens in America, yet most people hate socialism without being able to define it.

Next up: people hating nihilism. When all they do is define it.

Philosophy ultimately can never solve the existential problems of life, because you can't find the meaning of your existence by reading a book written by some fuckin' nerd.

Especially Hegel. he insisted.

When billionaires talk about funding education, they universally mean "learning the technical skills required to be useful to the system", not "learning the critical thinking skills required to critique the system."

See, I told you.

"Capital gains" is the money you get from sitting on your ass and watching your stocks go up. Somehow I doubt that slightly raising the tax rate on it will cause civilization to collapse.

Yo, Smears!

one reason why communist propaganda is so effective is because communism is good and we should do it

Let's list all the other reasons.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu May 06, 2021 6:02 pm

Walter Isaacson

One way to remember who you are is to remember who your heroes are.

Besides Steve Jobs?

People who know what they’re talking about don’t need PowerPoint.

How true. After all, I don't use it.

Picasso had a saying - 'good artists copy, great artists steal' - and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.

Feel free to steal mine, okay?

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

You know, if they let you. Or, perhaps, for some, if they don't kill you for trying.

On the day he unveiled the Macintosh, a reporter from Popular Science asked Jobs what type of market research he had done. Jobs responded by scoffing, "Did Alexander Graham Bell do any market research before he invented the telephone?"

Probably, right?

...if you can't keep him interested, that's your fault.

Not counting Kids of course.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu May 06, 2021 9:56 pm

Existential Comics

What can humans do that animals can't?
Aristotle: use reason
Nietzsche: make promises
Kierkegaard: be in despair
Marx: I don't know but no dog ever became fantastically rich by making thousands of other dogs work for it.

Marx, right?

What philosophers hate:
Socrates: sophistry
Descartes: uncertainty
Russell: lack of clarity
Adorno: the dang kids these days are dancing to jazz instead of listening to Beethoven god dammit

Dancing to jazz?!!

A philosopher is never late, nor is he early. Because time is an illusion.

Wow, just like morality!

American politics becomes a lot clearer if you mentally replace the word "freedom" with "property" every time a politician uses it.

And, no, not just on Wall Street.

When people think of a "nihilist" they think of an edgy teen sad that life is meaningless, but they should think of a suburban winemom who yells at a server for ten minutes for messing up her sandwich, then calls up an old friend to try to get them into their pyramid scheme.

And then actually swallows astrology hook, line and sinker.

In general if someone asks you to debate an issue, rather than discuss an issue, they have no interest in the truth.

Let's debate that, he insisted.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri May 07, 2021 6:37 pm

Holly Black

Once, there was a girl who vowed she would save everyone in the world, but forgot herself.

I know her!

Instead of being afraid, I could become something to fear.

There you go!

Baby, she says in a harsh whisper,"in this world, lots of people will try to grind you down. They need you to be small so they can be big. You let them think whatever they want, but you make sure you get yours. You get yours.

There you go!

If she was going to die, she might as well die sarcastic.

There you go!

Death’s favorites don’t die.

Okay, name just one.

No, I won’t help you. No, I won’t hear you explain why I should. It really is a magical word: no. You say whatever bullshit you want and I just say no.

No works for me, sure.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat May 08, 2021 12:09 am

Doth

Happy birthday Sigmund Freud, you would have loved all the hot moms there are today.

MILF. You know, for some.

If a demon ever tried to possess me, my first thought would be: good luck with that debilitating anxiety you messy bitch.

That'll work.

Murder me here during a thunderstorm or don't waste my fucking time.

Or, better still, a tornado?

Anxiety is a dominatrix that just yells: "try not to die today you piece of shit"

Next up: what a full blown depression is.

I like my women like my woods: haunted & can kill me at any moment.

Any like that here?

I’m relieved to finally find out that murder is an actual crime

You know, if you actually get caught.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat May 08, 2021 6:19 pm

Emily Dickinson

The Heart wants what it wants - or else it does not care

The rest, as they say, being history.

Hold dear to your parents for it is a scary and confusing world without them.

Trust me: not all parents.

I am out with lanterns, looking for myself.

Or today: “I am out with GPS, looking for myself.”

We turn not older with years but newer every day.

Like it isn't actually both.

A great hope fell
You heard no noise
The ruin was within

Thundering as it were.

Life is a spell so exquisite that everything conspires to break it.

Not the least of which death itself.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat May 08, 2021 10:09 pm

God

Children are not for having sex with. I can't stress this enough.

And He is God, right?

If you believe in something hard enough, nothing happens.

Not counting Heaven of course.

So what nearby habitable planet were you all thinking of moving to once Earth is destroyed?

We'll find one, right?

No more free will.
From now on, if you want, you have to pay for it.

You know, that other free will.

From early childhood, Caitlyn Jenner secretly identified as an asshole.

And, no, not just on Fox News.

THE FIVE STAGES OF CLIMATE CHANGE
1. Denial
2. Guilt
3. Depression
4. Acceptance
5. Drowning

Makes sense.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun May 09, 2021 6:06 pm

Matthew McConaughey

Man who invented the hamburger was smart; man who invented the cheeseburger was a genius.

Next up: man who invented the secret sauce.

Life is not fair, it never was and it isn't now and it won't ever be. Do not fall into the trap. The entitlement trap, of feeling like you're a victim. You are not.

Well, not counting the thousands and thousands and thousands of children that starve to death each and every year. Them perhaps.

Life is a series of commas, not periods.

He means semi-colons of course.

The older you get, the more rules they’re gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin’ man, l-i-v-i-n’

On the other hand, it does help to be him.

There's a difference in thinking you are a champion and knowing that you are.

Unless of course for countless thousands there isn't.

I think it's because we're looking for the meaning. Where is the meaning? We have mindless jobs, we take frantic vacations, deficit finance trips to the mall to buy more things that we think are going to fill these holes in our lives. Is it any wonder that we've lost our sense of direction?

I never wonder about it.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun May 09, 2021 10:00 pm

God

I want all human beings to attain happiness by fighting each other for it.

God comes clean.

You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.

He is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo right.

Donald Trump should not be on Facebook, for the simple reason that no one should be on Facebook.

Indeed! And surely none of us are!!

The fact that the word 'Orwellian' has been commandeered by Orwellians could not be more Orwellian.

So, what do you think, did he anticipate that?

You are rapidly developing herd immunity from reality.

And, sad to say, these days, not just the pinheads.

I'm just making this up as I go.

In other words, not unlike all the rest of us.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sun May 09, 2021 11:30 pm

you are sad
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat