Anyone here seen a ghost, UFO, or other strange entity?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Re: Anyone here seen a ghost, UFO, or other strange entity?

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Maia wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Nope, no manifestations of what I think you mean by that in my own life.

Maia wrote:Yes, that's correct. I started this thread to ask for visual descriptions of ghosts and other strange phenomena, since I've had unusual experiences myself of a non-visual nature. In particular, disembodied voices, sounds and smells.

Again, my own interest in these things revolves more around the extent to which someone is able to demonstrate to me that what they experienced was not just in their head, but was connected to something that does in fact exist but is not embodied.

Human ghosts in particular because if I can be persuaded that they do exist, I might be less likely to believe that when I die, I merely tumble over into the abyss that is oblivion.

I don't think it's anyone else's job to try and persuade you of that. You need to convince yourself through your own experience.

Who said anything about it being their job to do so?

We know that one day we will die. Then what? Of course for many on a God or No God religious/spiritual path, they know what. Or they take a leap of faith to what they want to believe awaits them. Something that comforts and consoles them merely in believing it. In that case an actual demonstrate can be moot. There's what they believe and that need be as far as it goes.

But this is a philosophy venue. And since a belief in human ghosts seems [to me] to indicate something other than oblivion on the other side, when the subject of ghosts comes up here and there are those who do believe in them, sure, I'd like to pursue it further.

After all, we can learn from each other. And precisely because we can all have so many different experiences.

From my frame of mind, it's not just about what any particular individuals can convince themselves of given their own ultimately narrow personal experiences. Not even close. At least not for me. But I don't have a spiritual font to fall back on to confirm or to reinforce a belief that only my own experiences are necessary anyway.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:27 pm

iambiguous wrote:

We know that one day we will die. Then what? Of course for many on a God or No God religious/spiritual path, they know what. Or they take a leap of faith to what they want to believe awaits them. Something that comforts and consoles them merely in believing it. In that case an actual demonstrate can be moot. There's what they believe and that need be as far as it goes.

But this is a philosophy venue. And since a belief in human ghosts seems [to me] to indicate something other than oblivion on the other side, when the subject of ghosts comes up here and there are those who do believe in them, sure, I'd like to pursue it further.

After all, we can learn from each other. And precisely because we can all have so many different experiences.

From my frame of mind, it's not just about what any particular individuals can convince themselves of given their own ultimately narrow personal experiences. Not even close. At least not for me. But I don't have a spiritual font to fall back on to confirm or to reinforce a belief that only my own experiences are necessary anyway.

Then I can only suggest what I have already. Go out and try and experience these things for yourself.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:31 pm

iambiguous wrote:

Maia wrote: Yes, that's correct. I started this thread to ask for visual descriptions of ghosts and other strange phenomena, since I've had unusual experiences myself of a non-visual nature. In particular, disembodied voices, sounds and smells.

iambiguous wrote:Again, my own interest in these things revolves more around the extent to which someone is able to demonstrate to me that what they experienced was not just in their head, but was connected to something that does in fact exist but is not embodied.

Human ghosts in particular because if I can be persuaded that they do exist, I might be less likely to believe that when I die, I merely tumble over into the abyss that is oblivion.

Maia wrote:I don't think it's anyone else's job to try and persuade you of that. You need to convince yourself through your own experience.

ShackledSpirit1984 wrote:Exactly.

He should pray and see what happens, as I've suggested to iambiguous in other threads.

Indeed, Maia. Try that yourself. And address those prayers to a Catholic God.

And then have ShackledSpirit explain your likely fate as a Pagan on Judgment day.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:33 pm

iambiguous wrote:
iambiguous wrote:

Maia wrote: Yes, that's correct. I started this thread to ask for visual descriptions of ghosts and other strange phenomena, since I've had unusual experiences myself of a non-visual nature. In particular, disembodied voices, sounds and smells.

iambiguous wrote:Again, my own interest in these things revolves more around the extent to which someone is able to demonstrate to me that what they experienced was not just in their head, but was connected to something that does in fact exist but is not embodied.

Maia wrote:I don't think it's anyone else's job to try and persuade you of that. You need to convince yourself through your own experience.

ShackledSpirit1984 wrote:Exactly.

He should pray and see what happens, as I've suggested to iambiguous in other threads.

Indeed, Maia. Try that yourself. And address those prayers to a Catholic God.

And then have ShackledSpirit explain your likely fate as a Pagan on Judgment day.

I have no interest in praying to the Christian god.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:46 pm

Maia wrote:
iambiguous wrote:

Then I can only suggest what I have already. Go out and try and experience these things for yourself.

You've been hanging around Pedro too long. Your "one line" response here, in my view, does not really address substantively the points I raised above.

Please try again.

This part in particular:

From my frame of mind, it's not just about what any particular individuals can convince themselves of given their own ultimately narrow personal experiences. Not even close. At least not for me.

In regard to human ghosts, how exactly would someone go out and try to experience them? Instead, others claim to have experienced them. Okay, to what extent can they note that the experience was the real deal. Videos? Voice recordings? Others who experienced it with them? What evidence can they provide me such that I might come closer to believing in the existence of human ghosts -- an afterlife -- too.

Now, again, if you are not interested in going out into the deeper waters here, fine, I'm not assigning it to you as a task. That sort of discussion either intrigues you or it doesn't.

The last thing I am interested in is yet another exchange of, well, whatever you want to call what our past exchanges have collapsed into.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:47 pm

Maia wrote:
I have no interest in praying to the Christian god.

Okay, Shackled, what's it likely to be for her on Judgment Day?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:51 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Maia wrote:
iambiguous wrote:

You've been hanging around Pedro too long. Your "one line" response here, in my view, does not really address substantively the points I raised above.

Please try again.

This part in particular:

From my frame of mind, it's not just about what any particular individuals can convince themselves of given their own ultimately narrow personal experiences. Not even close. At least not for me.

In regard to human ghosts, how exactly would someone go out and try to experience them? Instead, others claim to have experienced them. Okay, to what extent can they note that the experience was the real deal. Videos? Voice recordings? Others who experienced it with them? What evidence can they provide me such that I might come closer to believing in the existence of human ghosts -- an afterlife -- too.

Now, again, if you are not interested in going out into the deeper waters here, fine, I'm not assigning it to you as a task. That sort of discussion either intrigues you or it doesn't.

The last thing I am interested in is yet another exchange of, well, whatever you want to call what our past exchanges have collapsed into.

If you genuinely want to experience ghosts, or some other spiritual phenomenon, then I can tell you for sure that the only way of doing so is to get out there and do so. The only certain thing is that you won't experience these things by talking about them. If you were really interested in having these experiences then I can give you advice and pointers. If not, that's fine too.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:00 pm

Maia wrote:If you genuinely want to experience ghosts, or some other spiritual phenomenon, then I can tell you for sure that the only way of doing so is to get out there and do so. The only certain thing is that you won't experience these things by talking about them. If you were really interested in having these experiences then I can give you advice and pointers. If not, that's fine too.

Collapse 4.0

Maybe the next time around.

All I can suggest is that you take time for some serious introspection. Try to explore why you won't go down below the surface philosophically in examining the existential parameters of what you need to believe in order to sustain that psychological anchor of yours.

Unless of course I'm wrong.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:04 pm

The thing about exposure to spirit, is that others feel left out, and they get defensive.

They feel left out.

I’m not a faith person.

Experiencing is believing.

In that sense, I don’t expect someone to follow me or believe me.

Now... occasionally I use logic...

Such as the proof of eternal continuity of consciousness...

If you ever die, you can’t be here right now, because you right now is a subset of you forever.

But even if people can’t use logic, I’ve learned just to let most of it go.

Part of my job was condemning everyone - putting blood on everyone’s hands as murder.

There’s something greater than being able to prove something like this though...

Good love exists. It’s more powerful than all the logic I can throw at life. But, again, this is not something everyone finds.

As deaths emissary to earth, I used to teach that love was an undefined term people used to manipulate each other into doing what they wanted.

I’ve learned more over the years.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:06 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Maia wrote:If you genuinely want to experience ghosts, or some other spiritual phenomenon, then I can tell you for sure that the only way of doing so is to get out there and do so. The only certain thing is that you won't experience these things by talking about them. If you were really interested in having these experiences then I can give you advice and pointers. If not, that's fine too.

Collapse 4.0

All I can suggest is that you take time for some serious introspection. Try to explore why you won't go down below the surface philosophically in examining the existential parameters of what you need to believe in order to sustain that psychological anchor of yours.

Why? I'd rather experience things in the real world than waste my time in endless sterile debate.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 pm

Maia wrote:
iambiguous wrote:

Collapse 4.0

Why? I'd rather experience things in the real world than waste my time in endless sterile debate.

Yo, Pedro!

She's all yours!!

Or, as Satyr might remind us: she's no Lyssa. :wink:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:38 pm

Iambiguous,

You have shit for brains.

I think that you think that you only get off condemnation by not only not judging but always being a moron.

That’s not true.

When an atheist says this to you, that should scare the shit out of you.

Go with your “no fear attitude” and see where that takes you.

The Bible says “test all things”. Don’t trust the Bible.

I’m not trying to be your king. I’m trying to get you to use logic and reason.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Ecmandu wrote:Iambiguous,

You have shit for brains.

I think that you think that you only get off condemnation by not only not judging but always being a moron.

That’s not true.

When an atheist says this to you, that should scare the shit out of you.

Go with your “no fear attitude” and see where that takes you.

The Bible says “test all things”. Don’t trust the Bible.

I’m not trying to be your king. I’m trying to get you to use logic and reason.

Or, to paraphrase Wendy:

:banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dreads: :banana-explosion: :banana-fingers: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :banana-linedance: :banana-ninja: :banana-parachute: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rock: :banana-skier: :banana-stoner: :banana-tux: :banana-wrench:

Not to mention: https://youtu.be/Xz0bwQr5xWY

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:59 pm

Words and deeds iambiguous,

Words and deeds.

Actually, words are deeds.

You’ve built a nice little word cage for yourself

It’s easy to break.

What are you going to do when it’s broken?
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:18 pm

I have come across one a while back, and everybody testified to seeing him, and the tragic effects to follow were notable to the media, but even me being among those who were effected, I could not see him or become aware of being effected.

Strange but true.
Meno_
breathless

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Meno_ wrote:I have come across one a while back, and everybody testified to seeing him, and the tragic effects to follow were notable to the media, but even me being among those who were effected, I could not see him or become aware of being effected.

Strange but true.

I actually think I understand this!

Seriously though, "one"..."him"..."tragic effects"..."being effected"?

Details please.

Look, on the Science Channel they have a program entitled Strange Evidence: https://www.sciencechannel.com/show/str ... ce-science

Each episode examines some really, really, really strange things. In most cases, they are able to finally figure out that the spooky phenomena are as a result of natural -- if truly bizarre -- causes.

But not always. Sometimes they do have to leave it at, "we still don't fully understand what it was..."

Now, me, I'm more then willing to acknowledge that given the spooky reality of existence itself, who the hell really knows what is out there?

All we can do is, to the best of our ability, try to provide as much substantial evidence as possible in order to demonstrate it's the real deal.

And, even more important, if it is the real deal, what are the consequences for us on one or on both sides of the grave?

With human ghosts, for example, imagine if indisputable evidence of their existence was discovered?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:41 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Meno_ wrote:I have come across one a while back, and everybody testified to seeing him, and the tragic effects to follow were notable to the media, but even me being among those who were effected, I could not see him or become aware of being effected.

Strange but true.

I actually think I understand this!

Seriously though, "one"..."him"..."tragic effects"..."being effected"?

Details please.

Look, on the Science Channel they have a program entitled Strange Evidence: https://www.sciencechannel.com/show/str ... ce-science

Each episode examines some really, really, really strange things. In most cases, they are able to finally figure out that the spooky phenomena are as a result of natural -- if truly bizarre -- causes.

But not always. Sometimes they do have to leave it at, "we still don't fully understand what it was..."

Now, me, I'm more then willing to acknowledge that given the spooky reality of existence itself, who the hell really knows what is out there?

All we can do is, to the best of our ability, try to provide as much substantial evidence as possible in order to demonstrate it's the real deal.

And, even more important, if it is the real deal, what are the consequences for us on one or on both sides of the grave?

With human ghosts, for example, imagine if indisputable evidence of their existence was discovered?

Sorry Iambigious, just landed here in LA , but will furnish details to try to back up my claim, meanwhile must literally claim my luggage first.

Tnks
Meno_
breathless

Postby Meno_ » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:56 am

I promised to come through and I got home just in time to go into it, and being late in the evening I can only present an outline in the morning for it's almost unbelievable.

I
Meno_
breathless

Postby Maia » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:37 am

This is the time of year, with a chill in the wind, when the energies start rising, and I feel drawn to the wilderness. The feeling will be strongest around December and January, which is when I prefer to go camping alone.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 pm

Around 50 years ago I saw you a UFO with a group of people. I was in Fort Lauderdale. It was a glowing saucer shaped object hovering over the Atlantic Ocean. It appeared to move backward and forward in the sky and then disappeared in a flash.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Meno_ » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:01 pm

Meno_ wrote:I promised to come through and I got home just in time to go into it, and being late in the evening I can only present an outline in the morning for it's almost unbelievable.

I

It is almost morning trying to pull together the memories which occured back there in Manila .

Was living there and not to break certain bounderies, lived in this flat nice, and she wrote me come quick

Quit job needed bread for flight put my truck into pawn, oh my never able to get it out, and found place all shaded up with sheets and a large American flag in the bedroom window perpetuating an eternal night.

Audrey said a ghost walking through it attested bu newspaper articles about it before and after the residency, and so settling in, was unaware of anything like that out of the ordinary.

But things, talked about by the downstairs people managing it, and one thing in particular, Audrey almost cut her finger off when a window suddenly shut slamming , but missed it by a few.

Then things started to come in drafts and later after leaving back to US she left all the cats girl there were three of them BH accident she later said, in between the inner and outer window.

They were found by the next tenant a smelly mess of twisted cat flesh, the scream visible and the frantic effects to class themselves out.

So sensing trouble, I asked around and found thag the place had a bad history.The pool below was the sought of a man falling of jumping out of the window twenty floors up, and the concierge saying he has been there a long time and the whispers sustained a clamped jaw, so as not to pine on the rentability.

And life went on
Found a place better, and even more afgirdeable, moved out in a hurry.

Later, found out that the next tenant sat down to watch TV , and the glass top suddenly split into two, and the man died suddenly of a heart attack.

He was alone in the night.

Shadows surrounded him as the flicker of memories haunted that inexplicable.

This is no attempt to prehaunt the coming Halloween season and no attempt to fictionalize something really within the dark abscesses of the mind.
Meno_
breathless

Postby Maia » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:23 pm

felix dakat wrote:Around 50 years ago I saw you a UFO with a group of people. I was in Fort Lauderdale. It was a glowing saucer shaped object hovering over the Atlantic Ocean. It appeared to move backward and forward in the sky and then disappeared in a flash.

Sounds like a classic encounter. Was it associated with any other strange phenomena, such as a tingling of the skin, or an apparent slowing down of time?
Maia
Philosopher

Postby FreeSpirit1983 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:50 pm

felix dakat wrote:Around 50 years ago I saw you a UFO with a group of people. I was in Fort Lauderdale. It was a glowing saucer shaped object hovering over the Atlantic Ocean. It appeared to move backward and forward in the sky and then disappeared in a flash.

Wow! You're old. No offense :)

What do you think the UFO was??
"Pray, hope and don't worry."

- Saint Padre Pio
FreeSpirit1983
Thinker

Postby felix dakat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:22 pm

FreeSpirit1983 wrote:

Wow! You're old. No offense :)

What do you think the UFO was??

None taken. There was always a lot of air traffic in the sky there. And it's not far from Cape Canaveral where they were testing a lot of stuff. So my first thought was that it was some kind of spacecraft that NASA was testing secretly. Beyond that I have no special insider information apart from what's come out in the media generally. What I saw looked and behaved a lot like the ones you see in videos on the internet. Your guess about what they are are as good as mine.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:31 pm

Maia wrote:This is the time of year, with a chill in the wind, when the energies start rising, and I feel drawn to the wilderness. The feeling will be strongest around December and January, which is when I prefer to go camping alone.

Okay, so if you encounter anything ghostly or strange, do whatever you possibly can to document it. My main interest though is in how these "energies" might manifest themselves insofar as they factor into your value judgments on this side of the grave and the possibility of life beyond the grave.

But, again, that's just me out in the deeper waters.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology and Mind