How Mean Is Your Character?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

How Mean Are You on a scale of 1 to 7? 7 beingt he meanest.

1
2
20%
2
3
30%
3
0
No votes
4
4
40%
5
0
No votes
6
0
No votes
7
1
10%
 
Total votes : 10

How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 pm

(as compared to people you know)
The strong act as they may, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image
Nietzsche's Heritage; The Philosophy of the Future - Some Music - The Magical Tree of Life
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 11544
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: the black ships

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 11, 2021 10:11 pm

We'll need an actual context of course.
Or, rather, I will.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 41582
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:13 pm

it depends on how you define it really, but i can tell you that i am psychologically capable of doing really immoral shit and then still getting a good night's sleep. i dont go out into the world looking for mean things to do, but when it comes down to it, ive always been willing to be as mean as necessary to get what i want. not sure how that sounds, but it's honest. most all the time im nice though and will use my time and such to help out people around me if they need it. i think most people on average are not as mean as me, but i know a lot of people who are way meaner than i am.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.


Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 29536
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby WendyDarling » Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 pm

I am super nice 98% of the time, slightly guarded but generous and friendly to a fault. One of my Sister’s is probably a 6 and the other is like me, a two at most. Other than my Sister 666, I don’t know any other mean people IRL. I know selfish and/or unfriendly people but not really any meanies.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8726
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 11, 2021 10:31 pm

I am moderately mean, and moderately unmeaning , both literally and figuratively. Guess kind of stuck in the middle.
Meno_
breathless
 
Posts: 9027
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby promethean75 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:00 pm

this matter is somewhat paradoxical because I exhibit characteristics that could be classified as both sociopathic and hyper-empathic.

Two quick examples. I have absolutely no regard for any living members of my family. If any of them died tomorrow, it would mean nothing to me.

On the other hand, I literally fainted a few months ago after watching and execution video at kaotic.com. I researched what happened and found out that I had a nervous reaction to the images and my heart slowed down (forget the name of condition). What happened was I started feeling so light headed and nauseated I couldn't finish the video. I felt disgusting and immediately made my way to the shower. In the shower I sat down and just tried to relax under the hot water. In about ten minutes I got out of the shower... but here's what happened: my blood pressure had dropped because I was sitting down... so when I got up, grabbed the towel and started for my room, I fucking fell over and bashed my shoulder into the door falling flat in the floor. I do recall a split second when my head went blank, so I technically fainted. But I immediately came back when I bashed into the door.

I suppose I can be mean with what I say or how I treat others property... but I don't condone violent physical contact and would avoid it at all costs until and unless I felt attacked. I do not support capital punishment or torture (even for military/war purposes) and I have reservations against the methods of animal slaughter and even eating meat altogether (even though I do). Animal cruelty goes without saying and another sociopathic tendency perhaps is that I'd sooner see a piece of shit human burn to death than watch him kill a puppy.

And I was cruel to animals as a kid for a brief period around nine.

I can learn to dislike someone so much that I either don't care if they died, or even prefer that they died.

So I dunno. I'm a strange combination of traits here.
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby MagsJ » Wed May 12, 2021 7:14 pm

_
I am very guarded.. does guarded equate to being mean? I don’t know, but also.. I don’t really care.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22301
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby WendyDarling » Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 am

MagsJ wrote:_
I am very guarded.. does guarded equate to being mean? I don’t know, but also.. I don’t really care.

No.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8726
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby MagsJ » Thu May 13, 2021 1:14 am

WendyDarling wrote:
MagsJ wrote:_
I am very guarded.. does guarded equate to being mean? I don’t know, but also.. I don’t really care.

No.

Oh.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22301
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby Dan~ » Sat May 15, 2021 9:17 am

I'm not evil anymore in most ways.
I'm benevolent but cold.
I adopted vegetarianism as part of a plan to no longer harm sentient life.
I try to improve my nature / character also.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10670
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: Canada Alberta

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby Sculptor » Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am

Mean has at least two meanings.

1) miserly, careful wth money, ungenerous.
2) Nasty, unpleasant, cruel.
Last edited by Sculptor on Sat May 15, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor
Thinker
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby Sculptor » Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am

iambiguous wrote:We'll need an actual context of course.
Or, rather, I will.


And a definition.
Sculptor
Thinker
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby MagsJ » Sat May 15, 2021 4:12 pm

Sculptor wrote:
iambiguous wrote:We'll need an actual context of course.
Or, rather, I will.
And a definition.

I don’t need a definition.

I think I’m a 2.. because I’m really chill, but f with me too much and I’ll soon tell you about yourself.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22301
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby Ecmandu » Sat May 15, 2021 4:25 pm

People are mean when they don’t have enough wisdom or fortitude to earn respect.

Being good is a lifelong process. Can you say the right words in 1 second or is it going to become a fight?

Live and learn I suppose. And hopefully some grace along the way.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11965
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: How Mean Is Your Character?

Postby Fixed Cross » Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 pm

promethean75 wrote:this matter is somewhat paradoxical because I exhibit characteristics that could be classified as both sociopathic and hyper-empathic.

Two quick examples. I have absolutely no regard for any living members of my family. If any of them died tomorrow, it would mean nothing to me.

On the other hand, I literally fainted a few months ago after watching and execution video at kaotic.com. I researched what happened and found out that I had a nervous reaction to the images and my heart slowed down (forget the name of condition). What happened was I started feeling so light headed and nauseated I couldn't finish the video. I felt disgusting and immediately made my way to the shower. In the shower I sat down and just tried to relax under the hot water. In about ten minutes I got out of the shower... but here's what happened: my blood pressure had dropped because I was sitting down... so when I got up, grabbed the towel and started for my room, I fucking fell over and bashed my shoulder into the door falling flat in the floor. I do recall a split second when my head went blank, so I technically fainted. But I immediately came back when I bashed into the door.

I suppose I can be mean with what I say or how I treat others property... but I don't condone violent physical contact and would avoid it at all costs until and unless I felt attacked. I do not support capital punishment or torture (even for military/war purposes) and I have reservations against the methods of animal slaughter and even eating meat altogether (even though I do). Animal cruelty goes without saying and another sociopathic tendency perhaps is that I'd sooner see a piece of shit human burn to death than watch him kill a puppy.

And I was cruel to animals as a kid for a brief period around nine.

I can learn to dislike someone so much that I either don't care if they died, or even prefer that they died.

So I dunno. I'm a strange combination of traits here.

Thats a great answer man, and a great post in general.

I relate to several of these traits, with the exception of the attitude toward family, as you know.


My character has turned meaner in the past decade, because I began to notice how much damage being the generous, understanding and forgiving guy had been doing. Ive become a second amendment type.

I feel very deep and overwhelming love for all kinds of creatures, including some humans. That love has increased in depth and intensity and in duration of its 'spells' (waves of emotion) since Ive become more willing to damage the causes of those that are less than honorable.
The strong act as they may, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image
Nietzsche's Heritage; The Philosophy of the Future - Some Music - The Magical Tree of Life
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 11544
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: the black ships


Return to Psychology and Mind



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users