Why is everything so boring?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Re: Why is everything so boring?

Postby Meno_ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm

I think we invent fear so as not to be bored .( to death)
Meno_
breathless

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:33 pm

If you think boredom to be bad, wait until you get seriously ill and they have to cut you up to poke at your insides. You lie there like a slob of meat, curled up, white lights before you eyes and morphine in your veins, floating on a little cloud thats on fire. I had a very bad accident when I was around 17 and I almost died, now I look at all petty pain and discomfort with a kind of a disdain and contempt.
At the beginning there was only Chaos, Night, dark Erebus, and deep Tartarus. Earth, the air and heaven had no existence. Firstly, blackwinged Night laid a germless egg in the bosom of the infinite deeps of Erebus, and from this, after the revolution of long ages, sprang the graceful Eros with his glittering golden wings, swift as the whirlwinds of the tempest. He mated in deep Tartarus with dark Chaos, winged like himself, and thus hatched forth our race, which was the first to see the light. That of the Immortals did nove yielded themselves to their lovers when almost at the end of their youth, being led away by the gift of a quail, a waterfowl, a goose, or a cock.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:12 pm

Meno_ wrote:I think we invent fear so as not to be bored .( to death)

I don’t think that we invent the fear, but that it creeps up on us to fill the void that boredom has opened up within our minds.

Our current global situation is helping intensify the process, to levels that have not been experienced before.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Meno_ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:43 am

MagsJ wrote:
Meno_ wrote:I think we invent fear so as not to be bored .( to death)

I don’t think that we invent the fear, but that it creeps up on us to fill the void that boredom has opened up within our minds.

Our current global situation is helping intensify the process, to levels that have not been experienced before.

I just put fear within wider brackets, implying that in this nihilistic world devoid of what's left of real feeling, experiencing something, even fear it's self then experiencing nothing.

Too much of the pleasure principle has been reduced to the reality principle. The measure of things has been skewed toward too much reality, if that makes much sense.
Meno_
breathless

Postby MagsJ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:29 pm

Meno_ wrote:I just put fear within wider brackets, implying that in this nihilistic world devoid of what's left of real feeling, experiencing something, even fear it's self then experiencing nothing.

Too much of the pleasure principle has been reduced to the reality principle. The measure of things has been skewed toward too much reality..

In Felix’s Wholeness thread I state “..a bit of derealisation now and again can break up the monotony of existence every-so-often.. a neural pause button, if you will. It takes One inward, to experience unique thoughts and feelings that One wouldn’t otherwise be inclined to entertain. A balance was struck, between a private inner world and an outward facing sociality.

..detachment from a reality that is difficult to cope with, is useful.. especially if there are a few things that One is simultaneously having to cope with/adjust to. This makes sense.. ensuring that stress, and cortisol, are minimised”.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby alicehilligan » Wed May 05, 2021 9:16 am

In psychology, you can feel boredom if you are holding your inner energy to action. For example, you have a desire, but you don't realize it because you are scared, and so on. You don't give your energy to the world, but you lock it away in yourself. And then appears boredom, laziness, and weakness. It is called retroflection in the gestalt approach.
Try to ask yourself what you really want? And think about how you can get it. Also, try to analyze what you want to do and don't do it.
Listen to your emotions and feeling during your inner conversation.
alicehilligan

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind