Work... a four letter word....

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Work... a four letter word....

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:39 pm

like fuck, shit, work is just another 4 letter word...

as I am on day 4 of 8 straight days of work, I truly think of work as a
4 letter word...and as human beings we do work for much of our existence,
and yet, we rarely if ever, actually think about work and why we work.....

so think about it... what is the point of work?

most people will say it puts food on the table... but frankly doesn't
that make us, animals... who go out and gather up the food they need to
put on their "table".... if that is the point of work, then we are no
better then animals..

for I thought that we are "better" then animals and yet, we engage in
such animal behavior as going out and getting our food every day....

if one answers, we work to build better lives for ourselves, then we have
even bigger problems.... for that assumption is that the "toys" we collect,
such as big screen TV's and nice new cars and couches, are making our lives
"better"....and I for one, don't see how buying new cars or getting a new couch
makes our lives better....

for the assumption here is that somehow, and it isn't explained how, but somehow
our lives needs and requires material goods to have our lives be "better"...
and yet, there is no facts or evidence that such materials goods as
cars, TV's and couches makes our lives "better"....

for what it comes down to is a understanding of what is the point of human existence?

and I know people who would happily give everything they own away if it lead to
such unmaterialistic things as love, peace, hope, justice, for themselves and
for the world......

I hold that it is these values and not materialistic things that gives
our lives meaning.... if this is so, then why do we waste decades of
our lives working? If the search of human beings is to discover the values
by which they live their lives, then work become something pretty unimportant....
it basically waste our lives... what does it matter if we live in caves, or huts
or shacks if, if we are engaged in the values of existence that makes
life worth living.....love... peace.. justice... hope.... and there are
literally thousands of possible values we can engage with as human beings....
while how many cars can we really own? or how many big screen TV's sets
can we really have? given our houses, who really needs more then one couch?
in my house, that is all the room we have.. for just one couch.. and I like my couch,
don't get me wrong, but is my existence dictated by having that one couch?

another aspect of existence is this concept of being a consumer, a worker,
and a producer..... we are trained since childhood and even in collage/university
to be one of three things, a consumer, a producer or a worker....
the entire point of the capitalistic system is to either produce things, consume
things or to be a worker.... and we all, all of us, are consumers... we buy that
couch or that car or the food we eat... thus we all fulfill one aspect of
the modern world...we are consumers.... but are we all producers?

let us look at my shitty job...
I am a checker in a supermarket... I don't produce a thing.. I scan
items and weigh produce and punch in a 4 digit code.. thus garlic is
4608 and organic garlic is 94608...and that is my job....
if monkeys can be taught to count out change, I am out of a job....

I spend my days, including later tonight, scanning items...
I don't produce a thing... I am nothing better then a middleman,
between a consumer and a producer...hence I am a worker....
I, like millions of other people, I don't consume or produce anything
at my job....and I ask you, where is this dignity that one is supposed
to have when working? my job is nothing more then mindless activity
that makes the corporation I work for, profits.... I don't actually benefit
from my job because I am so badly paid....and I am one of the higher
paid employees in the store... per hour... (they pay checkers more
to prevent them from cheating or stealing from the company)
the average pay in my store is probably around $18 bucks an hour...
(which frankly in the Bay area is nothing... not when apartments are
$1,900 for a studio and $2,200 for a one bedroom)

and what of their jobs? we have people who clean the store
and people who stock the shelves and others who make
sandwiches....and they work harder then I do and make less money then I do.....

what is the dignity of their work? in other words, the idea of work having
value or dignity is something that corporations use to hide the stench of
the mindless and dehumanizing nature of work.....
there is no dignity or any value in work...it is a mindless activity
that devalues and dehumanizes us as human beings....

thus as I have said before, partly why I object to communism in which the
worker is glorified but in reality work is just another four letter word....

until we drop this idea that work is an essential aspect of the human condition,
we cannot escape its devaluing effects on us.....

work can only be a positive thing once it advances what it means to be human..
instead of what it is today, which is devalue and dehumanize us....

so in work we can be/do only three things, we can consume, we can
produce or we can engage in activity, like my work....

so once we understand work in a fourth way or even a fifth way,
we can value work as something worth a real engagement with,
not just the crap, another 4 letter word, we spend wasting
our lives with.....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10090
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:00 pm

peter this is america. its your patriotic duty to suffer in order to make the rich richer. thats kind of how this all works.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.


Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 29944
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:22 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:peter this is america. its your patriotic duty to suffer in order to make the rich richer. thats kind of how this all works.


K: and if this is true, and I believe it is, then what's in it for me?
what is my incentive to work? why waste 40 plus years of my life working if
all I am doing is making the rich richer?

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10090
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:25 pm

this is where the religion stuff comes in.

all religions are essentially the same.

give up something tangible, now, and later on when you die you get something intangible that's better.

you in?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.


Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 29944
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Motor Daddy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:33 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:peter this is america. its your patriotic duty to suffer in order to make the rich richer. thats kind of how this all works.


K: and if this is true, and I believe it is, then what's in it for me?
what is my incentive to work? why waste 40 plus years of my life working if
all I am doing is making the rich richer?

Kropotkin


You work to pay taxes, pay for health insurance, and pay for your meds. Don't forget to give 10% to the church, and make sure you drop some cash in the bucket with the guy ringing the bell. There's a shortage this year, so prices are double, for half the quantity.

It sounds like you are a disgruntled slave. Be happy you have roads to drive on, and the freedom to......well just freedom.

"In God we trust, all others pay cash."
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby promethean75 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Well keter it isn't physically or logically impossible that a radically new and different kind of system be designed in which everyone labors less while levels of personal wealth and property steadily increase for everyone as a direct result coughmarxcough.

What with modern tech reducing the need for human manual labor, you can subtract a few more hours from the work week and get it down to only a few hours cuz the machines'll be doing everything, ya know?

Imagine being able to spend five or more hours of every day at the public amusement metroplex if you wanted. You'd be working maybe fifteen hours a week dude cough marxcough.
promethean75
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5104
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:42 pm

promethean75: Well keter it isn't physically or logically impossible that a radically new and different kind of system be designed in which everyone labors less while levels of personal wealth and property steadily increase for everyone as a direct result coughmarxcough.

K: that is my point... why does existence require us to increase our levels "levels of
personal wealth and property steadily increase for everyone?"

I question that basic premise that existence is about increasing our personal and collective
wealth... because if that is the point of existence, then there is not point in pursuing
love or peace or justice or hope..... those values go by the wayside... and yet, I hold
that those values are really what existence is all about, not the pursuit of personal
or collective wealth....as I have stated, more then once, I disagree with Marx on
several fronts and this is one of them... that the highest engagement of being human
is to work..."

P: What with modern tech reducing the need for human manual labor, you can subtract a few more hours from the work week and get it down to only a few hours cuz the machines'll be doing everything, ya know?
Imagine being able to spend five or more hours of every day at the public amusement metroplex if you wanted. You'd be working maybe fifteen hours a week dude cough marxcough.[/quote]

K: I would also disagree with the point of existence spending "5 or more hours at the
public amusement metroplex" that has no more value for me then spending my time
making the "rich get richer"

there is a third alternative, we just need enough imagination to find it...

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10090
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Meno_ » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:32 am

I used to imagine it alongside John Lennon look what happened to him at a building called Dakota, condos going for millions, back then.

But then he used to synch with the New Left commune mentality, and that flopped because if Charlie Manson, disgruntled would have been rick star.

Incidentally a big hit during that time went:

"You don't have to be a star to be in my show."


And communism flopped, national socialism, sandwitched in between was a huge messy disaster.

So what else can anyone come up with?
Slavery, colonialism, been there dine that.

Become a bongo playing guitar man beatnick?

Done that too.

Or seek the backwoods or a mosquito island retire with family and live on 2,000 dollars a month, but need to learn Spanish, for most if those.

Give up and do the right think and keep saying : ok ok ok ok after breathing into a shopping bag that can serve as a hide and seek hat afterwards?
,
Meno_
breathless
 
Posts: 9756
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Meno_ » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:20 am

No! Just musing. Let me tell you Peter, what worked for me.

To escape this soulless air conditioned nightmare, been stuck for so many years, just using my imagination and dry ti look for some routine change, without click watching, not get psyched out by uncool people, try to mask my loneliness by grooving into cool bounderies of willing engaging people, and making Monday into like friday's mindset, while trying to apply philosophy to sensible life, and going home and having some very worn out family ties with mu cool family and what's left of them
Trying not to worry too much about bills, the next 60 miles over the oil change limit or what's that clang maybe the valves are dried up.

Or the little dog needs to go to the vet.

But it's still better here then it was in the worker's paradise, of which I could write horror stories of stark social realism
Meno_
breathless
 
Posts: 9756
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Dan~ » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:06 am

I believe in internal work.
Working on learning, pondering, strengthening the consciousness and inner energies.

Some people don't believe in spirituality at all.
They just want to make money.
I consider this deranged.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10835
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: Canada Alberta

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:58 am

To me, coming from you, friend is a four letter word.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 am

might be too many letters there i cant be sure
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.


Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 29944
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:34 am

End is the only part of the word that I heard. Call me morbid or absurd.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:To me, coming from you, friend is a four letter word.


K: even basic counting skills are beyond you....
friend...f 1. r 2. i 3. e 4. n 5. d 6....

yep, friend has 6 letters.... not four...and that is just
another reason we shouldn't take you seriously at all....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10090
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:16 am

You know what's a four letter word, Kropotkin?

Love.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:18 am

When I go fishing for the word, I keep wishing you would say to me "I'm really only praying that the words you'll soon be saying might betray the way you feel about me."
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 10458
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Please read my poem "Work Sucks". In Creative Writing under the title "Where is my poem?" Its ideas fit this thread.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 13293
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:You know what's a four letter word, Kropotkin?

Love.


K: love, all you know of love is what a dictionary told you.....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10090
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:51 pm

There is certainly honor in work. Humility might be needed at your job Mr. Kropotkin but nonetheless, how do you possibly survive living in the bay area working as a cashier? I would like to understand that better.

In any case, back to honor in work. Sure, your job is low pay because it requires low skills. You have chosen to work there, surely. You have chosen to have material things. You have chosen not to live in a shack or a tent. You surely do not want to live in one of those things and not work, correct? Yes Material things make our lives easier. Yes, having a couch makes my life easier. Its something to relax on and watch TV, or perhaps take a nap on. If I didn't use it I wouldn't want one. I find couches useful, among most other material things I have worked for.

But I would not want to not work every day. You can lose sight of the sacrifice for the reward which, humanity, is very much like a worker bee so to speak. In most of us, humans have a drive to work and if we don't we may become depressed. The type of work, whether its producing or not, depends on what you want to do and also what you are capable of doing. So, it seems you don't like your job. Why not try to get another one? Why don't you have skills to get another one? If you don't, then perhaps you may be doomed to working long hours many days in a row at a low skill job in which your work can be replaced very easily by a self checkout line, typically.. these days at least. So you're doing something to get money because food doesn't grow on trees.. Well, it does, but you surely don't have enough trees to grow your own food.. or buy a plot of land or pay your electricity bills to power the internet you surely have access to.

Now, I would wonder.. does that change your perspective?
User avatar
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 am

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:47 pm

WW_III_ANGRY wrote:There is certainly honor in work. Humility might be needed at your job Mr. Kropotkin but nonetheless, how do you possibly survive living in the bay area working as a cashier? I would like to understand that better.

In any case, back to honor in work. Sure, your job is low pay because it requires low skills. You have chosen to work there, surely. You have chosen to have material things. You have chosen not to live in a shack or a tent. You surely do not want to live in one of those things and not work, correct? Yes Material things make our lives easier. Yes, having a couch makes my life easier. Its something to relax on and watch TV, or perhaps take a nap on. If I didn't use it I wouldn't want one. I find couches useful, among most other material things I have worked for.

But I would not want to not work every day. You can lose sight of the sacrifice for the reward which, humanity, is very much like a worker bee so to speak. In most of us, humans have a drive to work and if we don't we may become depressed. The type of work, whether its producing or not, depends on what you want to do and also what you are capable of doing. So, it seems you don't like your job. Why not try to get another one? Why don't you have skills to get another one? If you don't, then perhaps you may be doomed to working long hours many days in a row at a low skill job in which your work can be replaced very easily by a self checkout line, typically.. these days at least. So you're doing something to get money because food doesn't grow on trees.. Well, it does, but you surely don't have enough trees to grow your own food.. or buy a plot of land or pay your electricity bills to power the internet you surely have access to.

Now, I would wonder.. does that change your perspective?


K: I have laid out my reasons in other post, but a refresher may be in order....

my goal, my only goal in life these days is to retire... I am 62... I have, as any
62 year old will have, medical needs and thus need a job with benefits...
the only real way I can retire is to sell the condo... and then what?
see that is the rub... yes, I could then retire, but I would have to move elsewhere,
and frankly, I don't want to.. I like the bay area... I have lived in the mid-west and
the south, and have no interest living there and being long time married, 25 years,
any decision is a joint decision...... and as far as being able to live in the bay area,
on a retail pay, jointly we make a middle class salary... which around here means,
we make over 60,000 a year... but again, bay area... that isn't much.. for example,
I have never bought a new car.. I have driven used cars all my life.. and still do....

but my life isn't really a test case... I use it to make an example of those millions
who lack the benefits I and my wife have...we are, pretty well off, all things considered...
and how I arrived in my current job was circumstances... back in 2007, after being off
for two years because of spinal surgery, I couldn't find a job to save my fucking life....
this company was the only place, the only one that even considered me....
so I began work... took a sizable pay cut to work there too...now because of
my medical history and my age, I can't find another job.....even in this market....
so, I work out my days until I can retire... sometime around 90, I think...

but my sad and pathetic story isn't the point, what is the point is that
millions of people are being used and abused in the capitalistic system..
and the first step to change, any change is to recognized that change is needed...
and that is what I am doing.... pointing out the need for change.. widespread
societal change that no longer used people, uses them as a means to an end....
where people are simple cannon fodder to make big business profits....
that must end and that is what I am trying to bring about.. first the notice
that the system is fucked up and then attempt to bring about actual change
itself....

will I succeed? no... frankly not in my lifetime will people even begin the task
of noticing that the system needs and must be changed.....
but I hope that someday, people will become aware of the shitshow that
we live in and will try to change the system..... I am not naive enough to
think my mission will succeed anytime soon or at all....

I just do what I can and hope for the best....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10090
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:57 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:
WW_III_ANGRY wrote:There is certainly honor in work. Humility might be needed at your job Mr. Kropotkin but nonetheless, how do you possibly survive living in the bay area working as a cashier? I would like to understand that better.

In any case, back to honor in work. Sure, your job is low pay because it requires low skills. You have chosen to work there, surely. You have chosen to have material things. You have chosen not to live in a shack or a tent. You surely do not want to live in one of those things and not work, correct? Yes Material things make our lives easier. Yes, having a couch makes my life easier. Its something to relax on and watch TV, or perhaps take a nap on. If I didn't use it I wouldn't want one. I find couches useful, among most other material things I have worked for.

But I would not want to not work every day. You can lose sight of the sacrifice for the reward which, humanity, is very much like a worker bee so to speak. In most of us, humans have a drive to work and if we don't we may become depressed. The type of work, whether its producing or not, depends on what you want to do and also what you are capable of doing. So, it seems you don't like your job. Why not try to get another one? Why don't you have skills to get another one? If you don't, then perhaps you may be doomed to working long hours many days in a row at a low skill job in which your work can be replaced very easily by a self checkout line, typically.. these days at least. So you're doing something to get money because food doesn't grow on trees.. Well, it does, but you surely don't have enough trees to grow your own food.. or buy a plot of land or pay your electricity bills to power the internet you surely have access to.

Now, I would wonder.. does that change your perspective?


K: I have laid out my reasons in other post, but a refresher may be in order....

my goal, my only goal in life these days is to retire... I am 62... I have, as any
62 year old will have, medical needs and thus need a job with benefits...
the only real way I can retire is to sell the condo... and then what?
see that is the rub... yes, I could then retire, but I would have to move elsewhere,
and frankly, I don't want to.. I like the bay area... I have lived in the mid-west and
the south, and have no interest living there and being long time married, 25 years,
any decision is a joint decision...... and as far as being able to live in the bay area,
on a retail pay, jointly we make a middle class salary... which around here means,
we make over 60,000 a year... but again, bay area... that isn't much.. for example,
I have never bought a new car.. I have driven used cars all my life.. and still do....

but my life isn't really a test case... I use it to make an example of those millions
who lack the benefits I and my wife have...we are, pretty well off, all things considered...
and how I arrived in my current job was circumstances... back in 2007, after being off
for two years because of spinal surgery, I couldn't find a job to save my fucking life....
this company was the only place, the only one that even considered me....
so I began work... took a sizable pay cut to work there too...now because of
my medical history and my age, I can't find another job.....even in this market....
so, I work out my days until I can retire... sometime around 90, I think...

but my sad and pathetic story isn't the point, what is the point is that
millions of people are being used and abused in the capitalistic system..
and the first step to change, any change is to recognized that change is needed...
and that is what I am doing.... pointing out the need for change.. widespread
societal change that no longer used people, uses them as a means to an end....
where people are simple cannon fodder to make big business profits....
that must end and that is what I am trying to bring about.. first the notice
that the system is fucked up and then attempt to bring about actual change
itself....

will I succeed? no... frankly not in my lifetime will people even begin the task
of noticing that the system needs and must be changed.....
but I hope that someday, people will become aware of the shitshow that
we live in and will try to change the system..... I am not naive enough to
think my mission will succeed anytime soon or at all....

I just do what I can and hope for the best....

Kropotkin


Well I think this post is a better post than your OP to signify a need for change. Certainly wouldn't want to rail against work or a hard work ethic to get that point across. Good luck.

As for me, I don't think I'll retire, I plan on dying right around that age because I don't really want to get too old.. so when I don't feel like working much more because I'm too old, that's a good time to die. What am I gonna do anyway, sit around my house watching wheel of fortune or whatever it is that they do? Fuck that.
User avatar
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 am

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:31 pm

WW_III_ANGRY:

Well I think this post is a better post than your OP to signify a need for change. Certainly wouldn't want to rail against work or a hard work ethic to get that point across. Good luck.

As for me, I don't think I'll retire, I plan on dying right around that age because I don't really want to get too old.. so when I don't feel like working much more because I'm too old, that's a good time to die. What am I gonna do anyway, sit around my house watching wheel of fortune or whatever it is that they do? Fuck that.

K: my wife ask me all the time, what am I going to do when I retire? basically what I am
doing right now...I spent the morning reading and posting and thinking about what it means
to be human.... I call it "my work"... my wife thinks I am insane, but hay, whatever.....
in retirement, she wants me to get a part time job.... but I have been working since I was 17, so
over 40 years....not so much interest in working anymore...and people tend to think
of me as a slacker but I really do have quite a work ethic... notice the sheer number
of posts I make here... a true slacker wouldn't do that... and I work full time at my job..
so what time I get here is simply time stolen away from working......
or said another way, work is simply wasted time away from my true passion
and mission, thinking, writing and reading.....everyday I say, I am going to work
and wasting another day which I could spend doing something of value, like
"my work".....

what I do is simple, I seek the reason and meaning for existence...
I am a seeker of truth, reality, and what it means to be human,
nothing more, nothing less......

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10090
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:51 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:WW_III_ANGRY:

Well I think this post is a better post than your OP to signify a need for change. Certainly wouldn't want to rail against work or a hard work ethic to get that point across. Good luck.

As for me, I don't think I'll retire, I plan on dying right around that age because I don't really want to get too old.. so when I don't feel like working much more because I'm too old, that's a good time to die. What am I gonna do anyway, sit around my house watching wheel of fortune or whatever it is that they do? Fuck that.

K: my wife ask me all the time, what am I going to do when I retire? basically what I am
doing right now...I spent the morning reading and posting and thinking about what it means
to be human.... I call it "my work"... my wife thinks I am insane, but hay, whatever.....
in retirement, she wants me to get a part time job.... but I have been working since I was 17, so
over 40 years....not so much interest in working anymore...and people tend to think
of me as a slacker but I really do have quite a work ethic... notice the sheer number
of posts I make here... a true slacker wouldn't do that... and I work full time at my job..
so what time I get here is simply time stolen away from working......
or said another way, work is simply wasted time away from my true passion
and mission, thinking, writing and reading.....everyday I say, I am going to work
and wasting another day which I could spend doing something of value, like
"my work".....

what I do is simple, I seek the reason and meaning for existence...
I am a seeker of truth, reality, and what it means to be human,
nothing more, nothing less......

Kropotkin


To each their own. I of course have been a seeker of truth and reality as well, all those things you cherish, I cherish with you. Except for myself, I don't put as much weight on it as I used to. When the internet became available, I learned a lot. I learned quite a bit about everything and anything over the past 3 decades of internet use.. back in the Prodigy or Compuserve Days.. then AOL came out.

I was just talking to my daughter the other day about how the world has changed since the age of the internet. Basically those who know how to use the internet sought out knowledge and everyone pretty much gained a whole lot of awareness about a whole lot of topics. People in general became more knowledgeable. Except, for those dumbasses out there that were doomed no matter how much information was at their fingertips. The eternally stupid people, of course the conspiracy theorists and Trump loving maniacs, basically one in the same, who have underlying mental issues or insecurities. Maybe they're not that dumb, but dumb enough to believe whatever they see on the internet, dumb enough to not believe facts when it doesn't suit their bias. But regardless, for me, I know a lot, far more than I need to know. Why? Because I don't really use the information I've gained that often, if ever. It doesn't really matter what I know. Sure I can tell people what I know and learned, but they're not going to learn if they couldn't learn it for themselves already. I don't want to be looked at as some guru or anything like that. But of course, I do generally like helping people learn and generally helping people with whatever it is I can help with. That is, if they're willing to learn, or whatever. Ultimately though, those that help themselves will be able to find anything they need to learn regardless of what I say on the internet anymore. Or, there's so many people voicing their opinions online its just rather moot.. you get more impact having a 1 on 1 conversation with someone than say, the hundreds may read this post possibly.

So, I somewhat don't care to learn much more. I care to have fun more, enjoy myself. Carnal pleasures, whatever it is that makes me happy. But of course, learning use to make me happy. Now, it doesn't matter so much to me anymore. I already learned more than enough.. I already stated more than enough online, to hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands of people. Maybe millions of people. Who knows. Yet, despite my efforts and my knowledge and my desire to help, society became more fucked up in the past 6 years than I have ever seen in my lifetime. So, what good did all that learning and writing do? Not much, by my measure. I even disowned family, who after years of writing, not just about politics but anything, years of them telling me how "smart I was", yet they still don't listen and chose to follow blindly a maniac like Trump to a fascist abyss of delusions. So I told them, I don't want to hang out with them anymore, that they are more than welcome to contact me when they can understand how they were wrong. I basically gave them this ultimatum when we saw Jan 6th transpire. Now, those who still support Trump don't contact me. They could never correct me or debate me previously, even though they surely saw my writing and heard me talk, yet they chose delusions over their "so smart" brother, Uncle, cousin, or whatever it is I was to them.

Now my family is well, my wife and children, while gaining support from extended family I was never close with who thank me for standing up for what is right, but I truly disowned my more immediate family outside of my wife and children as they somehow could not see reason and continued to support Trump after the insurrection. Regardless, people will listen to what they want to listen to... unless they're inclined to listening to reason already.. then they will not need me to write advice or philosophy, as they are more than capable of figuring things out themselves, usually.

In any case, life is about enjoyment and doing what you enjoy, with some sacrifice to make it happen. If writing and reading keeps you going, more power to you. In no way is my post to dissuade you from your joys. Your post made me think of all this and decided to share my personal viewpoint on the matter.
User avatar
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 am

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:19 pm

"WW_III_ANGRY:
To each their own. I of course have been a seeker of truth and reality as well, all those things you cherish, I cherish with you. Except for myself, I don't put as much weight on it as I used to. When the internet became available, I learned a lot. I learned quite a bit about everything and anything over the past 3 decades of internet use.. back in the Prodigy or Compuserve Days.. then AOL came out.

I was just talking to my daughter the other day about how the world has changed since the age of the internet. Basically those who know how to use the internet sought out knowledge and everyone pretty much gained a whole lot of awareness about a whole lot of topics. People in general became more knowledgeable. Except, for those dumbasses out there that were doomed no matter how much information was at their fingertips. The eternally stupid people, of course the conspiracy theorists and Trump loving maniacs, basically one in the same, who have underlying mental issues or insecurities. Maybe they're not that dumb, but dumb enough to believe whatever they see on the internet, dumb enough to not believe facts when it doesn't suit their bias. But regardless, for me, I know a lot, far more than I need to know. Why? Because I don't really use the information I've gained that often, if ever. It doesn't really matter what I know. Sure I can tell people what I know and learned, but they're not going to learn if they couldn't learn it for themselves already. I don't want to be looked at as some guru or anything like that. But of course, I do generally like helping people learn and generally helping people with whatever it is I can help with. That is, if they're willing to learn, or whatever. Ultimately though, those that help themselves will be able to find anything they need to learn regardless of what I say on the internet anymore. Or, there's so many people voicing their opinions online its just rather moot.. you get more impact having a 1 on 1 conversation with someone than say, the hundreds may read this post possibly.

So, I somewhat don't care to learn much more. I care to have fun more, enjoy myself. Carnal pleasures, whatever it is that makes me happy. But of course, learning use to make me happy. Now, it doesn't matter so much to me anymore. I already learned more than enough.. I already stated more than enough online, to hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands of people. Maybe millions of people. Who knows. Yet, despite my efforts and my knowledge and my desire to help, society became more fucked up in the past 6 years than I have ever seen in my lifetime. So, what good did all that learning and writing do? Not much, by my measure. I even disowned family, who after years of writing, not just about politics but anything, years of them telling me how "smart I was", yet they still don't listen and chose to follow blindly a maniac like Trump to a fascist abyss of delusions. So I told them, I don't want to hang out with them anymore, that they are more than welcome to contact me when they can understand how they were wrong. I basically gave them this ultimatum when we saw Jan 6th transpire. Now, those who still support Trump don't contact me. They could never correct me or debate me previously, even though they surely saw my writing and heard me talk, yet they chose delusions over their "so smart" brother, Uncle, cousin, or whatever it is I was to them.

Now my family is well, my wife and children, while gaining support from extended family I was never close with who thank me for standing up for what is right, but I truly disowned my more immediate family outside of my wife and children as they somehow could not see reason and continued to support Trump after the insurrection. Regardless, people will listen to what they want to listen to... unless they're inclined to listening to reason already.. then they will not need me to write advice or philosophy, as they are more than capable of figuring things out themselves, usually.

In any case, life is about enjoyment and doing what you enjoy, with some sacrifice to make it happen. If writing and reading keeps you going, more power to you. In no way is my post to dissuade you from your joys. Your post made me think of all this and decided to share my personal viewpoint on the matter.[/quote]

K: I kinda went the other way and have given up everything to do ''my work''
I dumped friends, going out.... I am either working or I am doing ''my work'''....
I finally went out the other night and it was the first time in quite a while....
my wife keeps telling me I'll die lonely and spend old age miserably without
any friends, don't care....my engagement is with the ''work''.. that is all that matters....
my old age is going to be miserable with or without friends......

so, I make my existence known through what I write here

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10090
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Work... a four letter word....

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:32 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote: I kinda went the other way and have given up everything to do ''my work''
I dumped friends, going out.... I am either working or I am doing ''my work'''....
I finally went out the other night and it was the first time in quite a while....
my wife keeps telling me I'll die lonely and spend old age miserably without
any friends, don't care....my engagement is with the ''work''.. that is all that matters....
my old age is going to be miserable with or without friends......

so, I make my existence known through what I write here


As an introvert, I don't really have any desire to make my existence known. My days are spent working then doing things I enjoy. I still look young and feel young. My life is relatively not very stressful but it surely will be eventually. I am concerned about my childrens future but I suppose they will be able to handle things when the time comes.
User avatar
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 am

Next

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users