the River and iambiguous contend...

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: the River and iambiguous contend...

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Curly wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Curly wrote:And will Iambiguous be honest and let Peter know 1) he considers Peter an objectivist, though one he is no doubt sympathetic to and 2) Peter is confused about Iamb's beliefs. There's a nice wager or challenge.

On any number of posts from his own thread -- 529,235 views in the philosophy forum! -- Peter and I have explored each other's differences.
But he didn't seem to understand them. Not at all.

He understood them enough to sustain the respect I have for his intelligence. Unless, of course, that's not good enough for you.

Note to Mo:

We won't let all this Stooge stuff distract us, okay? :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Mo, don't "disappear" again please. The very future of ILP revolves around bringing minds of your caliber back again.

:!: :!: :!: Don't let the Kids prevail :!: :!: :!:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:37 pm

You know, just in case.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 pm

I'll never let that happen. My goal has always been to reduce ILP to mediocre thinkers through the influence of my incessant obnoxious behavior, boundless philosophical sophistry, and over-use/abuse of social media to present seemingly random and arbitrary content of myself that has nothing to do with anything.

It's called absurdism by the deed, dude.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:51 pm

But what if you all become brilliant as a result of my influence, instead?

Crap I hadn't thought about that.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:16 pm

promethean75 wrote:But what if you all become brilliant as a result of my influence, instead?

Crap I hadn't thought about that.

That’s funny man.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:44 pm

promethean75 wrote:I'll never let that happen. My goal has always been to reduce ILP to mediocre thinkers through the influence of my incessant obnoxious behavior, boundless philosophical sophistry, and over-use/abuse of social media to present seemingly random and arbitrary content of myself that has nothing to do with anything.

It's called absurdism by the deed, dude.

Sure, different folks, different strokes. Even if, when push comes to shove, that's all rooted in dasein.

But why here?!

In this great big world where exchanges going back and forth actually impact the lives of many, why on earth would reconfiguring ILP into a theater of the absurd matter to anyone at all?! Talk about lack of ambition!!

Me? Well, my own story here might be construed as particularly bathetic. Back before various "social media" like twitter and facebook and reddit became the preferred platforms for philosophy and, well, practically everything else, I was once a member of the larger, more "prestigious" philosophy forum online, The Philosophy Forum: https://thephilosophyforum.com/

But, for posting pretty much the same sort of thing I post here, Postmodern Beatnik -- out of the blue! -- "banned me for life".

[Note to Curly: You can now add this to your collection of facts that confirm your accusations about me. Many at TPF deemed me a "troll". And not all of them were objectivists disturbed by the points I raised about their own "real me".]

Anyway, I went looking for another forum and settled on ILP.

And, back then, there really were far, far, far more discussions started and then sustained by those who, for whatever personal reason, were avid philosophers. Far fewer Kids and "social media" types.

So, basically, I put all my eggs in the ILP basket.

I started my signature threads including quotes, music and film. I commenced my "back to the beginning" series. I contributed any number of posts aimed at precipitating exchanges relating to that which is of most interest to me: how ought one to live given the stark reality that there may or may not be an actual Judgment Day.

Alas, however, ILP has gone more in the direction of the Kids, the yak yak yakkers, and the rabid [often unintelligible] Fixed Jacob objectivists.

But: it's too late for me anyway. I'm an "old man", wallowing in distractions and waiting for godot. But, who knows, if more minds like Mo's and Faust's and Only_Humean's do become attracted to the forum, the Kids and social media types might be shunted aside.

In any event, given my own actual "set of circumstances", it is all now way, way "beyond my control".

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:20 pm

Yeah but what you gotta do biggs is develop a solid epistemological nihilism to accompany your moral nihilism. Or that metaphysical nihilism that denies the possibility of composite entities in a possible universe or whatever. Alls I'm sayin is you need to expand your portfolio and work on improving your nihilism. Once you become a master gorgian nihilist like me you can cause people to hear songs by level 42 and tears for fears in a totally different way.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:45 pm

promethean75 wrote:Yeah but what you gotta do biggs is develop a solid epistemological nihilism to accompany your moral nihilism. Or that metaphysical nihilism that denies the possibility of composite entities in a possible universe or whatever. Alls I'm sayin is you need to expand your portfolio and work on improving your nihilism. Once you become a master gorgian nihilist like me you can cause people to hear songs by level 42 and tears for fears in a totally different way.

Obviously.

And, for a context, we can use the very latest "big thing": the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Solid epistemological assessments of What This Means as opposed to my own more perturbing assumption that meaning here stems from political prejudices rooted in dasein.

That in an essentially meaningless world reconfiguring for each of us one by one into oblivion.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:27 pm

Or, sure, not contend.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy