Will machines completely replace all human beings?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby MagsJ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Great Again wrote:Machines are rational. So they would only produce as many machines as they need.

The western-modern people have been reducing also for some time the number of their population. Machines are a western invention, originate from western rationality.

So the machines will also reduce their number.

..or maintain a specific level of machines.. an optimum mean for optimum output, I would think.

Silicone sex dolls.. the new trophy boyfriend/girlfriend of the future? Will they eventually be able to make-out with each other, and manufacture a dual-designed mechanical offspring?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Great Again » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:50 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Great Again wrote:Machines are rational. So they would only produce as many machines as they need.

The western-modern people have been reducing also for some time the number of their population. Machines are a western invention, originate from western rationality.

So the machines will also reduce their number.

..or maintain a specific level of machines.. an optimum mean for optimum output, I would think.

Silicone sex dolls.. the new trophy boyfriend/girlfriend of the future? Will they eventually be able to make-out with each other, and manufacture a dual-designed mechanical offspring?

Until now, machines have only done what is rational.
Great Again

Postby MagsJ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:32 pm

Great Again wrote:Until now, machines have only done what is rational.

..and why and how would they do what is irrational?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:35 pm

MagsJ wrote:

Or, granted that, maybe they will attain the level of simulation necessary to overcome inductive processes and become anew as did monkeys.
Meno_
breathless

Postby obsrvr524 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:45 am

MagsJ wrote:

James answered that one -

In the effort to deal with the complexity of a competing environment AI runs out of resources [assumed to be computing resources] so for sake of time it is forced to use more and more probability guessing ("quantum computing") and independent internal processing. The result being that internal processes begin competing for resources and influence - "fighting within itself". The result is the emulation of true emotion. They get angry - and you really don't want that. -- paraphrased from James S Saint.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #1

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Berkley Babes » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:54 am

More likely humans will match the mood of the computer. Or else, the more logical humans will gnaw on the heads of the emotionals.
Berkley Babes

Postby obsrvr524 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:18 am

Berkley Babes wrote:More likely humans will match the mood of the computer. Or else, the more logical humans will gnaw on the heads of the emotionals.

Humans will become UNemotional - robots?

-- only in China (and all who they conquer). :-?

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Berkley Babes » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:45 am

obsrvr524 wrote:
Berkley Babes wrote:More likely humans will match the mood of the computer. Or else, the more logical humans will gnaw on the heads of the emotionals.

Humans will become UNemotional - robots?

-- only in China (and all who they conquer). :-?

Bionix
Berkley Babes

Postby MagsJ » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:40 am

Meno_ wrote:
MagsJ wrote:
Or, granted that, maybe they will attain the level of simulation necessary to overcome inductive processes and become anew as did monkeys.

Maybe indeed.. maybe not.

obsrvr524 wrote:
MagsJ wrote:
James answered that one -

In the effort to deal with the complexity of a competing environment AI runs out of resources [assumed to be computing resources] so for sake of time it is forced to use more and more probability guessing ("quantum computing") and independent internal processing. The result being that internal processes begin competing for resources and influence - "fighting within itself". The result is the emulation of true emotion. They get angry - and you really don't want that. -- paraphrased from James S Saint.

All of that is very dependent on many many factors, in my mind. :-k

If AI developers are thinking along those lines, then they shouldn’t be let anywhere near AI development.. but I gather the type of AI development that this is about further developing. ; )
MagsJ

Postby obsrvr524 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:22 pm

MagsJ wrote:If AI developers are thinking along those lines, then they shouldn’t be let anywhere near AI development.. but I gather the type of AI development that this is about further developing. ; )

James had something to say about that too (he seemed to hesitate talking about the details on a variety of subjects). He said that he realized where all of his participation in the field of intelligence was headed (I think he said back in the 1980's) and that inspired him to change course. And thanks to something James had said long before he said that, a similar thing happened to me (although about a different kind of intelligence).

And this discussion has inspired me to start a new thread concerning these kinds of things (or maybe not) - waking up to how what we do is being used by others to propel us all in a direction that we each might not like yet be totally unaware of.

You have been observed.
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Otto » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:33 am

"Evil tongues" claim that AI developers have lost control over AI. :o :shock: 8-[ :-? :-& :x ( =D> ) :idea: :-$ O:) :wink: :arrow: 8)
Otto

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:38 am

obsrvr524 wrote:
MagsJ wrote:If AI developers are thinking along those lines, then they shouldn’t be let anywhere near AI development.. but I gather the type of AI development that this is about further developing. ; )
James had something to say about that too (he seemed to hesitate talking about the details on a variety of subjects). He said that he realized where all of his participation in the field of intelligence was headed (I think he said back in the 1980's) and that inspired him to change course. And thanks to something James had said long before he said that, a similar thing happened to me (although about a different kind of intelligence).

And this discussion has inspired me to start a new thread concerning these kinds of things - waking up to how what we do is being used by others to propel us all in a direction that we each might not like yet be totally unaware of.

Ok..

I may only read, but not be able to voice my opines.
MagsJ

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 pm

Sculptor wrote:Machines cost money to make, run and maintain.

That merely means that machines are not without a cost, correct? It does not follow from the above that the cost of a machine to perform any given task is less than that of a human. Obviously, it costs to create, run and maintain machines. My smartphone won't work if it isn't charged, for example. But compared to what it costs for a man to do the same tasks that my smartphone easily does, it seems to be not much.

Machines work for humans.

They are supposed to work for the designer. That does not immediately translate to "for most if not all humans". More importantly, they can be designed poorly (in which case they won't do what is expected of them) and the choice to design them in certain way can be wrong (in which case their existence would be at best useless and at worst harmful.)

If the number of humans declines, so do machines.

That depends on their programming. If they are programmed to survive and replicate even if no humans are around, the decline of humans won't necessarily be followed by the decline of machines.

What would be the point of a million trains running if there were no humans to travel on them?

You are talking about the intent. Of course, it is in noone's interest to design such machines (in the same exact way it is in noone's interest to design buggy software.) But what one intends to do and the consequences of one's intentions are two different things.
"Let's keep the debate about poor people in the US specifically. It's the land of opportunity. So everyone has an opportunity. That means everyone can get money. So some people who don't have it just aren't using thier opportunities, and then out of those who are using them, then most squander what they gain through poor choices, which keeps them poor. It's no one else's fault. The end."

Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Great Again » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 pm

MagsJ wrote:

Machines depend on the instruction given to them by their builders (the humans), and in the case of machines with so-called artificial intelligence, this instruction is programming.

At first, of course, these instructors were only humans, but later the machines were instructed to give instructions to other machines and, again later, also to organisms.
Great Again

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:59 pm

_
Lol @ Magnus/someone’s sock-puppet . :lol:

I won’t be expecting an answer from you.. yet again, and even if you do reply, I won’t reply back..
Last edited by MagsJ on Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Great Again wrote:
MagsJ wrote:

Machines depend on the instruction given to them by their builders (the humans), and in the case of machines with so-called artificial intelligence, this instruction is programming.

At first, of course, these instructors were only humans, but later the machines were instructed to give instructions to other machines and, again later, also to organisms.

Really? Wow! who knew..

:lol:
MagsJ

Postby Great Again » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:30 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Great Again wrote:
MagsJ wrote:..and why and how would they do what is irrational?

Really? Wow! who knew..

Are you not able to draw conclusions yourself?

The machines saw Mags an decided to become irrational. [-o<
Great Again

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:26 pm

Great Again wrote:
MagsJ wrote:
Great Again wrote:Machines depend on the instruction given to them by their builders (the humans), and in the case of machines with so-called artificial intelligence, this instruction is programming.

Really? Wow! who knew..

Are you not able to draw conclusions yourself?

Why do you ask..?

Oh? :-s

I’ll certainly decide to be irrational.. for the right man. ; )
MagsJ

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:23 pm

MagsJ wrote:I’ll certainly decide to be irrational.. for the right man. ; )

You must know my wife. :-?

You have been observed.
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Great Again » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:15 am

MagsJ wrote:
Great Again wrote:Machines depend on the instruction given to them by their builders (the humans), and in the case of machines with so-called artificial intelligence, this instruction is programming.

Really? Wow! who knew..

MagsJ wrote:
Great Again wrote:Are you not able to draw conclusions yourself?

Why do you ask..?

Maybe ... just for fun? :-k

MagsJ wrote:

I am also sure about that. Love gives wings. :angelic-flying:

Howsoever. Good luck.

obsrvr524 wrote:

Great Again

Postby Kathrina » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:48 pm

Berkley Babes wrote:Still need people to power the Matrix goo pods.

We only need such people and machines that are capable of finally eliminating communism (including the communist ILP).
ImageImageImageImage
Kathrina

Postby MagsJ » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:23 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:

Lol

She sounds adorable.. : )
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:46 pm

Great Again wrote:
MagsJ wrote:

Really? Wow! who knew..

MagsJ wrote:
Great Again wrote:Are you not able to draw conclusions yourself?

Why do you ask..?

Maybe ... just for fun? :-k

I think that scenario has been going on for decades now ..I have tech that instructs me all the time ..without them I’d be truly lost and have to go back to pen and paper.

I just asked my Siri for the weather.. it’s 15C out, with clear skies. He sounds like Sonny from I-robot.. maybe they modelled his voice on the character, you never know.

Have you seen the fridges that shop for you?

MagsJ wrote:

I am also sure about that. Love gives wings. :angelic-flying:

Howsoever. Good luck.

How kind.. thanks. :)

Rational love is love based upon intellect, reason or spirituality rather than natural love which is based upon instinct, intuition or romance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_love

The philosopher Laurence Thomas holds that love cannot be meaningfully said to be rational or irrational. “There are no rational considerations whereby anyone can lay claim to another's love or insist that an individual's love for another is irrational,” says Thomas.10 Nov 2015
https://www.philosophersmag.com/essays/ ... -about-you

Those emotions and thoughts ^^^ would be a whole lot of programming, to try to stuff into A machine. Just imagine the amount of instruction code that it would require. :-s

obsrvr524 wrote:

I currently have no female friends.. not had any for a year or two now.. because they became irrational and it was messing with my instincts and intuition.. threw me right-off, it did.. feel so much f’ing better.
MagsJ

Postby obsrvr524 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:55 pm

MagsJ wrote:
obsrvr524 wrote: :lol:

Lol

She sounds adorable.. : )

Oh believe me she is -
The problem is that she knows it - and even worse she knows that I know it - and she knows that is what allows her to get away with so much. :-?

I am sure she will be that way all her life. At the age of 97 she will probably still be grinning, flirting, and plotting with her friends another day's intimacies and giggles - wrinkles or no - masks or no - reputation or no - children or no - rationality or no - a living lotus button. :D

You have been observed.
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Great Again » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:58 pm

MagsJ wrote:I currently have no female friends.. not had any for a year or two now.. because they became irrational and it was messing with my instincts and intuition.. threw me right-off, it did.. feel so much f’ing better.

No female friends and no male friend? But you feel better, as you say. Mabe you should not Change anything then, should you? :-k

To get back more to the topic of this thread:

The amount of commands doesn't matter to machines.
Great Again

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy