Determinism

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Determinism

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 11, 2021 5:46 pm

iambiguous wrote:
polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:lol what a kook :-? :-? :-?

Teasle: Whatever possessed God in heaven to make a man like polishyouth?
Nature: God didn't make polishyouth. I made him.

If God in heaven could be imagined to be possessed by a nemesis , other then superman, then perhaps if would make sense to assert that.

But hey, in an infinitely defined Cosmos, any or everything may be possible.
Meno_
breathless

Postby encode_decode » Tue May 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Meno_ wrote:Belated condolences encode.

Thank you Meno. The funeral was yesterday my time. I have so many good memories of her. She was such a positive influence in my life and for my siblings too - a real family girl is what my mother was.
She would only want us to move on at a reasonably expected time in the future(you know, after the expected mourning) - don't know how else to say that right now.

Family...yeah, love em.
I will build a nerdlike structure in 2021
I only meant that the cat knows - or discovers - that we can toss it out a window at any time = "authority". Dogs accept that notion more quickly - not as willing to test it. O:) - obsrvr524
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 pm

satyr wrote:Like I said...
They see people making choices, and they've made choices themselves but they do not want to believe in their own senses, so they presume that its an illusion and that another agency is involved - replacing the perceived - empirical - with the abstractions in their brain.

Again, forget the part where he actually takes a stab at demonstrating how the human brain acquired "free agency" given the biological evolution of life on Earth. Forget the part where he is reduced down to, "It just fucking happened, Chimp!"

Instead, let's go back to the part that ever and always fascinates me: dreams.

Does he dream? Are his dreams like mine? In those dreams does he not experience a reality in which he is making choices using his senses? But aren't the interactions in the dreams essentially illusions in that they are wholly a manifestation of chemical and neurological transactions in his brain?

Perhaps he will address this on his next post over there.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby peacegirl » Tue May 11, 2021 5:54 pm

encode_decode wrote:
peacegirl wrote:This has nothing to do with following a particular person. You’re way off.

You fail to read the necessary nuances. In most cases, what we are being asked to follow nearly always comes back to one person. Why is the author's way better than any other way? This is the part you are failing to prove.

I’m asking you to understand his observations. This has nothing to do with the man.
http://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Decline-and-Fall-of-All-Evil-10-18-2020-FIRST-3-CHAPTERS.pdf

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner

peacegirl
Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Tue May 11, 2021 6:04 pm

peacegirl wrote:I’m asking you to understand his observations.

Oh, I know what you are asking me. There is a high probability that I do understand his observations < partially that is because that is all we really can do. This is not to say that my piece of understanding would not be high given that partially lends itself well to a degree of variability.

peacegirl wrote:This has nothing to do with the man.

Oh...but it seems that it would. Surely he is the only one that "completely understands" what he set out to prove. I am convinced that there is some probability that I would learn something from reading his book.
I only meant that the cat knows - or discovers - that we can toss it out a window at any time = "authority". Dogs accept that notion more quickly - not as willing to test it. O:) - obsrvr524
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby peacegirl » Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 pm

encode_decode wrote:

Oh, I know what you are asking me. There is a high probability that I do understand his observations < partially that is because that is all we really can do. This is not to say that my piece of understanding would not be high given that partially lends itself well to a degree of variability.

Oh...but it seems that it would. Surely he is the only one that "completely understands" what he set out to prove. I am convinced that there is some probability that I would learn something from reading his book.

I’m not asking anyone to purchase the book. Just read the first three chapters. If you like it, great. If not, you lost nothing.

http://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ ... APTERS.pdf
http://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Decline-and-Fall-of-All-Evil-10-18-2020-FIRST-3-CHAPTERS.pdf

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner

peacegirl
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 11, 2021 6:16 pm

I've been observing partial derivations since being 'enrolled' here. If that is not foundation enough, ...
Meno_
breathless

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 11, 2021 6:23 pm

peacegirl wrote:
encode_decode wrote:

I’m not asking anyone to purchase the book. Just read the first three chapters. If you like it, great. If not, you lost nothing.

There is a point when the book becomes a direct example of the expectation of how it's methods pan out, after which the proof becomes in the pudding of it being cconnected to the first three chapters to later ones, how many are there?

I can not guess, but in a way I hope it may not be less then nine or much more then twelve.
Meno_
breathless

Postby encode_decode » Tue May 11, 2021 6:32 pm

peacegirl wrote:I’m not asking anyone to purchase the book. Just read the first three chapters. If you like it, great. If not, you lost nothing.

OK then. Not the expected response, given what I myself wrote. I will give it a read when I have some time. That any event is completely determined by a prior event(most basically put) is not a completely unuseful concept/tool for further thinking. Somewhere in the mix is the feedback into the loop that further determines the next set of events - in the case of decision making this is driven, of course, by the mind-brain circularity to put it simply. Generally speaking, things are a little more complex. But with this in mind(figuratively put) human beings should be able to make good decisions that affect the outcome of others in a "good" way whether they ask for it or not. Fortunately, this is nothing mysterious and incredibly easy to follow. Then of course we stumble upon quantum physics to which some feel we must add super-determinism to and to which I have no doubt in the human ability to further complicate matters by throwing something on top of this too - oh wait, I have actually already witnessed this(on this forum too, so I did not have to even go far) so throw something else on top of that too then.
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 pm

Peacegirl: here is a 200 page narrative by 5 philosophers touching onthis topic
I hope to print it out and read it and try to allude to and compare it with the intent of Your grandfathers book

THE COUNTERFACTUAL THEORY OF FREE WILL: A GENUINELY DETERMINISTIC FORM
OF SOFT DETERMINISM
by
Rick Repetti
Saarbrücken, Germany: LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, 2010
Meno_
breathless

Postby encode_decode » Tue May 11, 2021 7:52 pm

I hate posting videos unless it is music.

She is an interesting and cute kook < that was for PY - I know he would probably disagree with interesting...well maybe even cute...every man is different and maybe she is too old for him.
I am happy for her to womansplain this to me.

:lol:
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 pm

fuck you bro :lol: :lol: :lol: thats a very nice lady, very elegant and feminine bro. i am up for her experiments, where can i sign up??? 8) 8) 8)
free-will is a bit of an idiotic concept to be honest...fuck this free will discussion...is there nothing better to talk about???
Last edited by polishyouthgotipbanned on Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the beginning there was only Chaos, Night, dark Erebus, and deep Tartarus. Earth, the air and heaven had no existence. Firstly, blackwinged Night laid a germless egg in the bosom of the infinite deeps of Erebus, and from this, after the revolution of long ages, sprang the graceful Eros with his glittering golden wings, swift as the whirlwinds of the tempest. He mated in deep Tartarus with dark Chaos, winged like himself, and thus hatched forth our race, which was the first to see the light. That of the Immortals did nove yielded themselves to their lovers when almost at the end of their youth, being led away by the gift of a quail, a waterfowl, a goose, or a cock.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:fuck you bro :lol: :lol: :lol: thats a very nice lady, very elegant and feminine bro. i am up for her experiments, where can i sign up??? 8) 8) 8)

lol - in Yankeeland

At least not Canada.
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue May 11, 2021 8:13 pm

I love Canada, I love America even more... The last Western country that still carries out the death penalty and takes freedom seriously, fight the Commies and the bureaucracy with teeth and claw and dont take a step back!!! I love you encode too!!!wherever you are from!!! :o :o :o :-? :-? :-? unless you are friends with this chomo piece of shit promeathen and his Yank friend mr. pedophiles best friends...fuck these two Yank degenerates!!! let them ride their bikes and flirt with 14 year olds!!!fucking chomos!!!
At the beginning there was only Chaos, Night, dark Erebus, and deep Tartarus. Earth, the air and heaven had no existence. Firstly, blackwinged Night laid a germless egg in the bosom of the infinite deeps of Erebus, and from this, after the revolution of long ages, sprang the graceful Eros with his glittering golden wings, swift as the whirlwinds of the tempest. He mated in deep Tartarus with dark Chaos, winged like himself, and thus hatched forth our race, which was the first to see the light. That of the Immortals did nove yielded themselves to their lovers when almost at the end of their youth, being led away by the gift of a quail, a waterfowl, a goose, or a cock.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Tue May 11, 2021 8:17 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:I love Canada, I love America even more... The last Western country that still carries out the death penalty and takes freedom seriously, fight the Commies and the bureaucracy with teeth and claw and dont take a step back!!! I love you encode too!!!wherever you are from!!! :o :o :o :-? :-? :-?

I try not to be too specific with certain things PY - I do my best not to attract unnecessary attention from certain kooks. Fuck, it does not always work.

Canada has some beautiful landscape - and yeah I agree with you about America.
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Does he dream? Are his dreams like mine? In those dreams does he not experience a reality in which he is making choices using his senses? But aren't the interactions in the dreams essentially illusions in that they are wholly a manifestation of chemical and neurological transactions in his brain?

Perhaps he will address this on his next post over there.

And, believe it or not, this is actually what he construes to be an intelligent and substantive rejoinder:

satyr wrote: Know what this Desperate Degenerate desire to believe life is but a dream stems from?
It's the salvation myth, all over again.
To wake up out of life's hell, into the afterlife, as if it were all a bad dream.
Ha!!!

And then of course...

satyr wrote: blah blah blah

Once again, I can only challenge him to come here and defend his point of view more, well, substantially.

Surely, he's not a chickenshit is he? 8)
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue May 11, 2021 8:36 pm

as long as I am here he will not come, when I am gone, he will not come for some time so it doesnt look like he was ducking me and then come becuase he is a paranoid kook and cant help himself. anywhich way, i dont give a shit since this idiot is too boring...too much noise, too little substance. he just pulls shit out of his arse and dresses it up as some profound insight...
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue May 11, 2021 8:49 pm

In the next session, spanning the coming decade, in between Messiahs, self-proclaimed gods, and Nietzsche reincarnations, we'll be retuning to the topics we covered in our elementary classes - philosophy 101 for children stunted or still maturing:

1st semester: Are we brains in a vat? - the Matrix theme.
2nd semester: Is life a dream? Is existence god's dream?
3rd semester: Can an omnipotent god lift an infinitely massive stone it created? - is the creator bound the laws of his creation?
4th semester: The truth is that there is no truth? Variant: There are absolutely no absolutes.

Whoever manages to get through the year may advance to the next level. Whomever cannot must repeat the year eternally - eternal return of the same.

This idiot is DEFINATELY reading what I write...why wont he come around??? I will explain to him why he is a dullard...
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 11, 2021 9:42 pm

encode_decode wrote:
polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:I love Canada, I love America even more... The last Western country that still carries out the death penalty and takes freedom seriously, fight the Commies and the bureaucracy with teeth and claw and dont take a step back!!! I love you encode too!!!wherever you are from!!! :o :o :o :-? :-? :-?

I try not to be too specific with certain things PY - I do my best not to attract unnecessary attention from certain kooks. Fuck, it does not always work.

Course it may be catching or go viral: any 1 ever had tea in the empress hotel in Victoria?
Meno_
breathless

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 11, 2021 9:44 pm

Meno_ wrote:
encode_decode wrote:

Course it may be catching or go viral: any 1 ever had tea in the empress hotel in Victoria?

Yo, Nature! Explain yourself here!!
Have you no shame?!!!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 pm

For her, none whatsoever!
Meno_
breathless

Postby peacegirl » Tue May 11, 2021 11:28 pm

Meno_ wrote:I've been observing partial derivations since being 'enrolled' here. If that is not foundation enough, ...

Being enrolled here doesn’t mean a whole lot Meno.

peacegirl
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 11, 2021 11:42 pm

peacegirl wrote:
Meno_ wrote:I've been observing partial derivations since being 'enrolled' here. If that is not foundation enough, ...

Being enrolled here doesn’t mean a whole lot Meno.

Course I should hope it would generate some credit toward some transfer into something, or somewhere, not that i'd want to.
Meno_
breathless

Postby peacegirl » Tue May 11, 2021 11:46 pm

encode_decode wrote:
peacegirl wrote:I’m not asking anyone to purchase the book. Just read the first three chapters. If you like it, great. If not, you lost nothing.

OK then. Not the expected response, given what I myself wrote. I will give it a read when I have some time. That any event is completely determined by a prior event(most basically put) is not a completely unuseful concept/tool for further thinking. Somewhere in the mix is the feedback into the loop that further determines the next set of events - in the case of decision making this is driven, of course, by the mind-brain circularity to put it simply. Generally speaking, things are a little more complex. But with this in mind(figuratively put) human beings should be able to make good decisions that affect the outcome of others in a "good" way whether they ask for it or not. Fortunately, this is nothing mysterious and incredibly easy to follow. Then of course we stumble upon quantum physics to which some feel we must add super-determinism to and to which I have no doubt in the human ability to further complicate matters by throwing something on top of this too - oh wait, I have actually already witnessed this(on this forum too, so I did not have to even go far) so throw something else on top of that too then.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to read three chapters. It’s actually very interesting. I think you’ll get something out of it.

peacegirl
Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am

Forgive me for not making the following flow to absolute perfection - right now I do not feel like being a pre-programmed high logic robot or an otherwise brainwashed twit. As you also know, I like to get a little experimental with humor at times and it should be obvious after knowing me for a while that I do not delude myself with the notion that any such humor is fully received - only partially, hahaha.

Still, you should be able to partially derive something here - I am still thinking about Russian dolls too...

...but for now, let us just let the dominos fall or throw the dice or see whatever else we can pile on top of this...

:evilfun:

Meno, you and others here have given me a lot. Some people here are not even aware of what they have given to others. Some people might give others a headache or something to treasure for the rest of their lives. People might get great enjoyment from music too but people can survive a long time without music. It is a really empty thing for me to say that spending time on ILP doesn't mean a whole lot - I could also say that being alive doesn't mean a whole lot(we have both come across people here that say it or allude to it). To some people being on ILP does mean a whole lot - I have been reading a conversation between two people here that shows me that these two people are getting a great deal out of it - which is to say that using ILP for their conversation does mean a whole lot - I get a lot out of their conversation just by the simple act of reading it. We could illustrate this for a long time with many examples and not just apply it to ILP but many areas of life but let's not do that. There are things that mean more to us than other things - my family means more to me than the internet or books for instance.

I am not going to tell you that being enrolled here doesn't mean a whole lot. Whatever reason you have for coming here Meno is a reason attached to you alone that is intentionally diffused to others as you see fit(I had to say it, lol). Perhaps you have got a lot of meaning from this place - we could only know this if you were to share it with us - there is no requirement for you to share anything with us. I am glad I am not on this planet alone. I don't have to know why I socialize to know that I socialize and it feels like it means something - on the other hand, I do know why we socialize, lol. I get the feeling that a narrow exploration provides an unhealthy explanation(I am hopeful this is not genetically derived) and this should make sense to you by the end of this post if you are indeed capable of such magical wonders as social cues and detecting nuances(more forms of derivation) - but I can not guarantee it given the sender and receiver are not always synchronized in such cases(or should I say never given different net results?).

This is something FC wrote in recent times:

Fixed Cross wrote:Too much to go into it, but one thing that is crucially wrong is to hold yourself to the same standards as others - because this means you hold others by the same standards as yourself, which means, if you've got integrity, that you make demands on them that are not yours to make.

Simple ethics: examine your values by exposing them to each other in life and bring them into accord with each other; work to eliminate contradictions in your valuing. Become monadic, so you can be a pillar to a merciful culture.

You don't have to agree with the man on everything to get something out of this. You don't have to like him to get something out of this. The only condition that is to be met to get something out of this is not to be shut off to others. Of course, this makes sense just like Newton's laws make sense but the best thing is that FC said it and I was able to read it. This meant a lot to me.

The universe is a weird and wonderful place Meno. We all come here for different reasons. The internet is a weird and wonderful place and we all do different things with it.

If we may remind ourselves of the idiom: weird and wonderful < to provide some partial context
  1. adjective - Having an unusual or strange appearance or design, but ingenious, attractive, or desirable nonetheless.
  2. noun - That which has such a strange likability.

This whole post is not meant to be some sort of proof of anything - I intend on this post being a human exchange to which anyone, can if they wish to disagree with it...and through their answer, the rest of us may even learn something. After all, this is one of the reasons I come here, to chat. I can not chat with all of my loved ones about just anything which for the most part includes nearly all of what I discuss here - that is the beauty of places like this. I am enrolled in a bunch of different places and I like to think that furthermore, I am enrolled in life. We don't have to know everything to be happy and we don't have to understand how the whole universe works for us to live. Before all we know, the act of seeking meaning is why we believe that there must be a meaning to life in the first place. If I want to shut my brain off to others, there are many choices in the world for that too - I could become a Jehovah's Witness for example, and simply follow their doctrine. I am exploring life and places like ILP have helped with that exploration and added much meaning. I have now come to the end of this intended exchange and I am just as sure now as I was when I started writing it that I am not really going to be telling you anything new in this post - a mere reinforcement of what we probably already partially know.

:wink:

Oh yes - I am hopeful that some of what I write is genetically derived in some families and some of what others write is not genetically derived in other families.
Of course, I am partially hinting at memetics but mostly at genetics.

Partial derivation complete...
encode_decode
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy