what you're favorite quote?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: what you're favorite quote?

Postby Kathrina » Fri May 14, 2021 6:00 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:
    "The purpose and goal of every living thing is and has always been to Maximize the Integral of Joy Over Time - MIJOT" - James S Saint

It works. :D

What if one is only joyful, if joy has eliminated its opposite and no harmony could be established, because the opposite is missing?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kathrina

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:44 pm

Kathrina wrote:
obsrvr524 wrote:
    "The purpose and goal of every living thing is and has always been to Maximize the Integral of Joy Over Time - MIJOT" - James S Saint

What if one is only joyful, if joy has eliminated its opposite and no harmony could be established, because the opposite is missing?

Then you missed the target - the goal. MIJOT specifies the accumulation of the joy (the integral) over (or through) time. So the goal is to accumulate as much as possible for as long as possible. That inherently limits both the struggle to survive and the temptation to get high. The specified goal is not North nor West - but specifically Northwest - else you are not aiming right.

Add up the joy or good feelings you allowed yourself to have each day and try to make that total accumulation throughout your life as high as possible (and thus for as long as possible). And the joy or harmony literally helps the survival effort.

I have tried it - and zookers it made a difference immediately. :D

Another quote -
    "Laugh - just because you can." - James S Saint

I guess Jakob would call it "self-valuing". :wink:
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #1

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
    It's just same Satanism as always -
    • separate the bottom from the top,
    • the left from the right,
    • the light from the dark, and
    • blame each for the sins of the other
    • - until they beg you to take charge.
    • -- but "you" have been observed --
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Kathrina » Sat May 15, 2021 2:08 am

obsrvr524 wrote:
Kathrina wrote:
obsrvr524 wrote:

Then you missed the target - the goal. MIJOT specifies the accumulation of the joy (the integral) over (or through) time. So the goal is to accumulate as much as possible for as long as possible. That inherently limits both the struggle to survive and the temptation to get high. The specified goal is not North nor West - but specifically Northwest - else you are not aiming right.

Add up the joy or good feelings you allowed yourself to have each day and try to make that total accumulation throughout your life as high as possible (and thus for as long as possible). And the joy or harmony literally helps the survival effort.

I have tried it - and zookers it made a difference immediately. :D

Another quote -
    "Laugh - just because you can." - James S Saint

I guess Jakob would call it "self-valuing". :wink:

My answer to my question would have been: Then you would be in a place that does not exist in reality; because in reality there is always the opposite to joy; if this opposite did not exist, one could not feel joy at all.

Now you have brought the example of "Northwest" (a good direction, a good target, by the way). It means that I should choose "Northwest", so that only one of the eight directions is correctly chosen as the target, and that means 1/8 or 12.5%. The opposite of joy would have to sit therefore exactly in the "Southeast" with its 12.5%. My question referred to the possibility of a 100% joy, because I am sure that it is not attainable - for reasons mentioned above.

Joy.png
Joy.png (19.98 KiB) Viewed 175 times

:D
Last edited by Kathrina on Sat May 15, 2021 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kathrina

Postby obsrvr524 » Sat May 15, 2021 3:02 am

Kathrina wrote:Now you have brought the example of "Northwest" (a good direction, a good target, by the way). It means that I should choose "Northwest", so that only one of the eight directions is correctly chosen as the target, and that means 1/8 or 12.5%. The opposite of joy would have to sit therefore exactly in the "Southeast" with its 12.5%. My question referred to the possibility of a 100% joy, because I am sure that it is not attainable - for reasons mentioned above.

Yes I think every direction has an opposite. And in this case the opposite direction - Southeast - would be miserable and suicidal. :cry:

Kathrina wrote:
Joy.png

:D

And forgive me for being too masculine but shouldn't you flip that picture right-to-left. :D

Or are you from Australia? :-?

Or perhaps looking from the inside out? :-k

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Kathrina » Sat May 15, 2021 3:28 am

Yes, sorry, I came from Australia via the South Pole, then went north. :lol:
Kathrina

Postby obsrvr524 » Sat May 15, 2021 3:58 am

Kathrina wrote:then went north. :lol:

Are you - sure?
:-k

You have been observed.
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Sat May 15, 2021 5:56 am

obsrvr524 wrote:And forgive me for being too masculine but shouldn't you flip that picture right-to-left. :D

The picture of the compass?

Or...

...Did she fix it already?
I will build a nerdlike structure in 2021
I only meant that the cat knows - or discovers - that we can toss it out a window at any time = "authority". Dogs accept that notion more quickly - not as willing to test it. O:) - obsrvr524
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby Kathrina » Sat May 15, 2021 2:28 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:
Kathrina wrote:then went north. :lol:

Are you - sure?
:-k

From the south pole I went into the core of the planet, as you should know, where I had a meeting with Dante's devil, who wanted to fool me, but at a certain point I saw through his intentions. :evil:

Earth's core was not freezing cold at all, but hot as hell. :evilfun:
Kathrina

Postby Sleyor Wellhuxwell » Fri May 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Above the gate of hell is the statement: "The Divine Omnipotence, the Supreme Wisdom and the First Love have built me up."

"And he said to me: 'You know, the place is round; and even if you have already advanced very far to the left, in the descent into the bottom, you have not yet completely succeeded in the circle'."

D_D.jpg
Dante's devil in the core of the earth.
D_D.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 106 times

"With my gaze I returned to all the seven spheres, and I saw this globe so that I had to smile at its lowly appearance." - Dante.

Dante can be interpreted that the devil is the first one who is really in the world, in the middle of the world, in the earth's core.

E_.jpg
E_.jpg (68.71 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Sleyor Wellhuxwell

Previous

Return to Philosophy