What is life without love? What is love?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

What is life without love? What is love?

Postby Magnus Sancti » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:26 pm

:wink:
Magnus Sancti

Postby agirl » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:36 pm

agirl

Postby Pangloss » Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:32 pm

Yes. The above link is 'what is love?' down to the bone. If you're still not satisfied, I suggest you read Iris Murdoch's back-catalogue.
Pangloss

Postby TheHairyGuy » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:05 pm

I think we need love. It gives us something to look forward to and something to keep us going. Life without love would be a free-for-all. Nobody would do anything to protect "loved ones" aka family, and friends. As for a definition of love, thats kinda tricky and I dont have an explanation for that.
TheHairyGuy

Postby thales » Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:14 am

right now i don't know whether i should be putting any of this up here...as everything to do with the whole truth-event is rather confused and painfull for all involved- at least i hope all of us are in some kind of pain at least, not just having the time of their lives....

anyway to give you the picture so i can explain what love is: my girlfriend, who frequents this board often- but hasn't posted for ages, we broke up very very suddenly after a year and a half of a wonderfully happy relationship...she is now with another person, someone i know and thought was going to be really good friends with- ie i thought he was a good guy and could be trusted...

no matter what the circumstances are events like this always hurt...there is nothing anyone can do to try and avoid that, i am very hurt and if i took what had transpired personally there would be a lot of bitterness and for all of the many people intimately involved in this there would be no reconsiliation....

instead i or we must just focus upon what we feel...for me that is the absolute undying love i hold for this woman....

there is nothing we can do about the what-if's or what-might-be's all we can possibly focus upon is that a relationship, any relationship can grow out of the ashes of the old....

i do love this woman and although her actions have their consequences and have hurt me deeply, the one thing that cannot be touched by this is my love for her....it is perhaps stronger than either of us ever really imagined...

all that i can do is to offer her my love, support and friendship...to be there for her when and if she needs me.......to let my love manifest itself in any other way is ineffect lying to myself and her...

this is my present experience of love, i hope it helps, but do realise that these are emotions that have grow and developed over a long time...
all i can hope is that she will accept at least a tiny little of what my love, faith, strength and belief in her has to offer...

if any are interested i'll let you know further down the line...ie. 6 months or somesuch suitable timeframe...what has transpired and whether this approach is or has been a possitive one...until then some words from a man further up that ladder to the light than i can be at the moment...Peter Russell's take on unconditional love from his waking up in time book,

Love is not something you do,
Love is a way of being.
And more than that.
It is simply being,
Being with another person, however they may be.
Holding no judgments, having no agendas,
No desire to control,
No need to prove your love,
No intrusion upon their soul.
Nothing but a total acceptance of their being,
Born of your acceptance of yours.

Unconditional love is not unconditional approval of another’ s actions, irrespective of their effects upon others. It is unconditional love of the being behind the action. It does not depend upon how a person thinks, feels, or behaves. It does not pause to assess whether or not another is worthy of affection. It recognizes that beneath all our various appearances and activities we all want to feel loved. In this we are all united.

Unconditional love recognizes that we are all to some extent, caught in the belief that our inner satisfaction is determined by what goes on around us. We all feel the need for security, control, recognition, approval, and stimulus to varying degrees, we all feel threatened from time to time by things that seem to stand in the way of our fulfillment; and we can all make mistakes
thales

Postby Natsilicious » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:42 pm

Does "Love" really have so much power.

Love is not something you do,
Love is a way of being.
And more than that.
It is simply being,
Being with another person, however they may be.
Holding no judgments, having no agendas,
No desire to control,
No need to prove your love,
No intrusion upon their soul.
Nothing but a total acceptance of their being,
Born of your acceptance of yours.

that reminds me of Corinthians in the Bible where it says something like

Love knows all things, hopes all things believes all things....Love never fails!

and I personally think that's such crock.
If Love never fails , divorces wouldn't be so high. If Love knows all things, what's the purpose of going through heartbreak?; so that you know of it and can say hey" I was heartbroken once"... :-? perfect way to start a conversation I guess...
and the thing that burns me most about that from the bible is that I still dont get a definition of love, and it basically says that in order to find love, you have to have faith.
I have had faith , so where is my share of the love pie, you know??.
Love is subjective
Love is thing you when you do what you do to me....
what the....
"En la vida ,yo veo la luz!"- Enrique Garcia
Natsilicious

Postby locke_key » Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:27 pm

life without love? christians would call that hell... :evil:

but to define love? that is truly tricky, all i would like to say is that we yearn for it...
"Eagles soar, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine" -Lady Hedgehog
locke_key

Return to Philosophy