Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby WendyDarling » Thu May 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Einstein: “The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.”

I posit that I do the same things over and over again when beginning the game, Heroes Of Might And Magic, never performing insanity since my repetitions are being entered into a random game generator which in turn changes the results of my repeated inputs, ie. I am doing the exact same thing over and over but getting different results. Einstein’s definition of insanity is untrue in my example and may continue to be untrue in life if there exists an element of random “life or reality” generation which explains events that defy our expectations again nullifying Einstein’s definition of insanity in the larger scheme of things.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby iambiguous » Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 pm

WendyDarling wrote: Einstein: “The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.”


Well, you know me:

Doing what things over and over again, given what particular contexts?

For me, here, however, this certainly seems applicable in regard to engaging the Kids, the fulminating fanatics and the objectivists over and over and over again...and expecting different results. By now, I'd pretty much have to be insane to expect that. At least in regard to discussions and debates that revolve around this particular philosophical question: How ought one to live?

With respect to, say, our moral and political value judgments.

As for this example...

WendyDarling wrote: I posit that I do the same things over and over again when beginning the game, Heroes Of Might And Magic, never performing insanity since my repetitions are being entered into a random game generator which in turn changes the results of my repeated inputs, ie. I am doing the exact same thing over and over but getting different results. Einstein’s definition of insanity is untrue in my example and may continue to be untrue in life if there exists an element of random “life or reality” generation which explains events that defy our expectations again nullifying Einstein’s definition of insanity in the larger scheme of things.


...if you say so. Never really been into those kinds of game realities myself.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 41514
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby Gloominary » Thu May 06, 2021 6:58 pm

Fishing works sort of like your game.
You put the hook in the water over and over again, you may not catch anything for hours or even days, all the while thinking: eventually I'll get a different result.
Dating can work like that too, so can phishing.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby WendyDarling » Thu May 06, 2021 7:03 pm

Gloominary wrote:Fishing works sort of like your game.
You put the hook in the water over and over again, you may not catch anything for hours or even days, all the while thinking: eventually I'll get a different result.
Dating can work like that too, so can phishing.


If Einstein’s definition is untrue in a multitude of examples, why is it still being quoted as if it is accurate?
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby encode_decode » Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 pm

WendyDarling wrote:If Einstein’s definition is untrue in a multitude of examples, why is it still being quoted as if it is accurate?

Hmm

:lol:

Want an objective example?

Better I don't...
I will build a nerdlike structure in 2021
I only meant that the cat knows - or discovers - that we can toss it out a window at any time = "authority". Dogs accept that notion more quickly - not as willing to test it. O:) - obsrvr524
User avatar
encode_decode
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm
Location: Nebula

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby WendyDarling » Thu May 06, 2021 7:13 pm

encode_decode wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:If Einstein’s definition is untrue in a multitude of examples, why is it still being quoted as if it is accurate?

Hmm

:lol:

Want an objective example?

Better I don't...


The already mentioned examples weren’t objective? Am I missing a joke?
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby Gloominary » Thu May 06, 2021 7:14 pm

Salesman can go through dozens, sometimes hundreds of people before they make a sale, but if they stand to make a huge profit, like from selling a house or expensive car, it may still be worth it.

Some JWs and Mormons will knock on dozens or hundreds of doors to 'save' one soul.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby encode_decode » Thu May 06, 2021 7:21 pm

WendyDarling wrote:The already mentioned examples weren’t objective? Am I missing a joke?

Poking ribs and saying: hello Wendy.

I hope everything is well at your end of the world.

:D
I will build a nerdlike structure in 2021
I only meant that the cat knows - or discovers - that we can toss it out a window at any time = "authority". Dogs accept that notion more quickly - not as willing to test it. O:) - obsrvr524
User avatar
encode_decode
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm
Location: Nebula

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby WendyDarling » Thu May 06, 2021 7:27 pm

Gloominary wrote:Salesman can go through dozens, sometimes hundreds of people before they make a sale, but if they stand to make a huge profit, like from selling a house or expensive car, it may still be worth it.

I could illegitimize the example of a saleman and dating since there is interacting with different people, not doing exactly the same thing.

And technically, there is no doing the same thing over and over since time is progressing, changes are occurring.

:greetings-wavingyellow: ED!
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby Gloominary » Thu May 06, 2021 7:39 pm

Another example, getting pregnant.

In all these examples, you're not doing the exact same thing every time, like you said there's no such thing anyway, but you often have no reason to believe the next time will be any different, for all intents and purposes it looks the same to you, but you do it anyway expecting a positive result sooner or later.
Last edited by Gloominary on Thu May 06, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby obsrvr524 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:47 pm

WendyDarling wrote:If Einstein’s definition is untrue in a multitude of examples, why is it still being quoted as if it is accurate?

- Pro-change - pro-liberal - leftist propaganda.

    "If the greatest genius of our time understands that doing the same old things is insane - conservatives must be insane. We need to get rid of them (besides we feel so much better about ourselves for saying it)".
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #1

              You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
    It's just same Satanism as always -
    • separate the bottom from the top,
    • the left from the right,
    • the light from the dark, and
    • blame each for the sins of the other
    • - until they beg you to take charge.
    • -- but "you" have been observed --
obsrvr524
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby Gloominary » Thu May 06, 2021 9:20 pm

Gloominary wrote:Another example, getting pregnant.

In all these examples, you're not doing the exact same thing every time, like you said there's no such thing anyway, but you often have no reason to believe the next time will be any different, for all intents and purposes it looks the same to you, but you do it anyway expecting a positive result sooner or later.

In all these examples, your behavior may be essentially the same, it may be solely the circumstances that essentially change, altho their essential difference may not be apparent.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri May 07, 2021 2:52 am

I never took it literally (and I am not sure it's Einstein's.) It refers to the repetition of ineffective actions, not repetition in general.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Disproving Einstein’s Definition of Insanity

Postby WendyDarling » Fri May 07, 2021 2:56 am

Gloominary wrote:
Gloominary wrote:Another example, getting pregnant.

In all these examples, you're not doing the exact same thing every time, like you said there's no such thing anyway, but you often have no reason to believe the next time will be any different, for all intents and purposes it looks the same to you, but you do it anyway expecting a positive result sooner or later.

In all these examples, your behavior may be essentially the same, it may be solely the circumstances that essentially change, altho their essential difference may not be apparent.


That’s why I like the idea of random generation which may produce unseen differences/affects that may seem supernatural or magical to us when our repeated actions produce impossible or illogical outcomes.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades


Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users