The Connectome and Spirituality

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby Prismatic567 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:34 am

I have mentioned the Connectome often.

The Goals of the Human Connectome Project
Navigate the brain in a way that was never before possible; fly through major brain pathways, compare essential circuits, zoom into a region to explore the cells that comprise it, and the functions that depend on it.

The Human Connectome Project aims to provide an unparalleled compilation of neural data, an interface to graphically navigate this data and the opportunity to achieve never before realized conclusions about the living human brain.
http://www.humanconnectomeproject.org/




When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as "real" when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:37 pm

When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as "real" when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.


It is intuition, here, not scientific knowledge, for example, that is predicting what 'humanity will be able to discover' when something vague ('sufficiently advanced').

If a theist predicted that people will know X, when Y happens at some point in the future, Prismatic would challenge the epistemology involved.

He just can't seem to live up to his own standards nor evade is own particular kind of mechanical romanticism.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby phyllo » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:09 pm

When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as "real" when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.
I can tell you right now. God explains certain things that we observe in the world.

That doesn't mean the explanation is correct but it could be.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11700
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby Prismatic567 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:24 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as "real" when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.


It is intuition, here, not scientific knowledge, for example, that is predicting what 'humanity will be able to discover' when something vague ('sufficiently advanced').

If a theist predicted that people will know X, when Y happens at some point in the future, Prismatic would challenge the epistemology involved.

He just can't seem to live up to his own standards nor evade is own particular kind of mechanical romanticism.

As usual you are projecting from ignorance of the subject.

It is obvious the above is based on speculation of possibilities the extrapolation is based on current trend of loads of discoveries of the relation of certain network of neurons with certain human behaviors.
At present scientists are able to trace human behaviors to certain specific parts of the brain but this is relatively crude in contrast to the exact neural pathways involved.

Therefore, logically, when the Connectome Project is sufficiently advanced, scientists will be able to track whatever human behavior, e.g. the belief in God to certain neural pathways. In this case, scientists will be able to trace [via neural activities] the primary root cause of a belief in God by theists or the invocation of a God by those who are mentally ill, brain damage, drug/hallucinogen takers, etc.

If a theist predicted that people will know X, when Y happens at some point in the future, Prismatic would challenge the epistemology involved.

Whatever the claim by theists or non-theists, provide the justifications and evidences for the possibilities of whatever is speculated or theorized.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby Prismatic567 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:28 am

phyllo wrote:
When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as "real" when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.
I can tell you right now. God explains certain things that we observe in the world.

That doesn't mean the explanation is correct but it could be.

Where is your justifications, arguments and evidences for the above speculation of the above possibility?

Point is I have already demonstrated the idea of God as real is moot, i.e. a non-starter.
Therefore you have to counter the above before you can say any thing real about an entity-God doing this or that.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby MagsJ » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Prismatic567 wrote:I have mentioned the Connectome often.

The Goals of the Human Connectome Project
Navigate the brain in a way that was never before possible; fly through major brain pathways, compare essential circuits, zoom into a region to explore the cells that comprise it, and the functions that depend on it.

The Human Connectome Project aims to provide an unparalleled compilation of neural data, an interface to graphically navigate this data and the opportunity to achieve never before realized conclusions about the living human brain.

When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as "real" when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.

Why have you categorised spirituality, along with theism?

I see the two as distinctly different entities, as one can be spiritual without being the slightest bit religious..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ


The Lions Anger is Noble
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 19456
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … Nobilis Est Ira Leonis

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby zinnat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:31 pm

Prismatic567 wrote:I have mentioned the Connectome often.

The Goals of the Human Connectome Project
Navigate the brain in a way that was never before possible; fly through major brain pathways, compare essential circuits, zoom into a region to explore the cells that comprise it, and the functions that depend on it.

The Human Connectome Project aims to provide an unparalleled compilation of neural data, an interface to graphically navigate this data and the opportunity to achieve never before realized conclusions about the living human brain.
http://www.humanconnectomeproject.org/




When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as "real" when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.


Well, that is possible but it is also Quite possible that Science may disocver how human brain gets stupid ideas like one you always try to propagate.

Is it also not possible! What do you think?

with love
Sanjay
User avatar
zinnat
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby surreptitious75 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:23 pm

Mags wrote:
I see the two as distinctly different entities as one can be spiritual without being the slightest bit religious

This is so true yet the two are often treated as being either compatible or identical
This is the reason why I do not use the word myself because of this false conflation

Spiritual relates to the fundamental character or soul [ another word with religious baggage ] of a person
And that can mean religious but only if they are actually a theist because atheists can be spiritual as well
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby MagsJ » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:33 pm

zinnat wrote:Well, that is possible but it is also Quite possible that Science may disocver how human brain gets stupid ideas like one you always try to propagate.

Best eloquent slur of the week goes to..

surreptitious75 wrote:
Mags wrote:I see the two as distinctly different entities as one can be spiritual without being the slightest bit religious
This is so true yet the two are often treated as being either compatible or identical
This is the reason why I do not use the word myself because of this false conflation

Spiritual relates to the fundamental character or soul [ another word with religious baggage ] of a person
And that can mean religious but only if they are actually a theist because atheists can be spiritual as well

Indeed.. and that is where the issue of relating spirituality with religion comes in.

Why have you done so OP?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ


The Lions Anger is Noble
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 19456
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … Nobilis Est Ira Leonis

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:19 am

The soul is a possibility of a being.

As the Buddha states, “what you think, you will become”

The soul is not an objective law of reality. But! It can become YOUR reality!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9501
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:30 am

MagsJ wrote:
Prismatic567 wrote:I have mentioned the Connectome often.

The Goals of the Human Connectome Project
Navigate the brain in a way that was never before possible; fly through major brain pathways, compare essential circuits, zoom into a region to explore the cells that comprise it, and the functions that depend on it.

The Human Connectome Project aims to provide an unparalleled compilation of neural data, an interface to graphically navigate this data and the opportunity to achieve never before realized conclusions about the living human brain.

When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as "real" when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.

Why have you categorised spirituality, along with theism?

I see the two as distinctly different entities, as one can be spiritual without being the slightest bit religious..

My mentioned of 'spirituality' in the OP is in the very loose and general sense.

My personal preference for the term 'spirituality' is anti-theism and is represented by more of promoting greater optimal well-being for the individual via wisdom and rational approaches. As such, I had no intention to group theism within spirituality-proper at all.

Where the Connectome Project is able to reveal the belief in God is a necessary delusion within ignorance based on the neural explanation, it will demonstrate theism has nothing to do with I would consider strictly 'spiritual'. Theism has more to do with primal psychology to deal with an inherent existential crisis.

When the Connectome Project has reached sufficient progress, it will be able to reveal what is 'spiritual-proper' i.e. that which will contribute the greater optimal well-being for the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:34 am

zinnat wrote:Well, that is possible but it is also Quite possible that Science may disocver how human brain gets stupid ideas like one you always try to propagate.

Is it also not possible! What do you think?

with love
Sanjay

Yes, the Connectome Project will be able to track my above assertion to the neurons for higher reasoning, critical thinking and wisdom, but
why do you say 'stupid ideas' without justifications?

On the other hand, in the case of the theists' brain, what is most active with the idea of a God is their primal brain and the neurons related to primal fears, etc.

Note I have provided very sound justification for my stance, God is an illusion and an impossibility to be real here;


If you can prove my argument is false, then I will readily accept my idea is 'stupid'.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: The Connectome and Spirituality

Postby Prismatic567 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:47 am

surreptitious75 wrote:
Mags wrote:
I see the two as distinctly different entities as one can be spiritual without being the slightest bit religious

This is so true yet the two are often treated as being either compatible or identical
This is the reason why I do not use the word myself because of this false conflation

Spiritual relates to the fundamental character or soul [ another word with religious baggage ] of a person
And that can mean religious but only if they are actually a theist because atheists can be spiritual as well

Spirituality-proper to me as defined above is focused on the promotion of the greater optimal well-being of the individual driven by wisdom, critical thinking, philosophy and rational approaches. Spiritual proper is without any elements of an ontological divine being.

However I have to admit there are some elements of such 'spirituality-proper' within theism, e.g. within the mystics of theism, but the % is very low. Many of these theistic-mystics are more into spiritual-proper, i.e. not dogmatic nor clingy to a God. They are theistic probably by traditions, customs, and heritage, not by blind beliefs.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am


Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users