New Discovery

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: New Discovery

Postby Artimas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:27 pm

peacegirl wrote:
Artimas wrote:
It's quite the opposite. The past does not exist. We only have the present. This is important so I will repeat: all we have is the present moment which quickly turns into a past event that is brought forth through memory even if what happened occurred a second ago. That is why animals do not have this ability to think about past events. They don't have the language that allows them to remember the past.


We only may interact with a present moment, this does not mean the past or future doesn’t exist.. the past can be replicated. Animals do have an ability to think about past events, just not to the extent we have.. which is already known and the differentiation in consciousness. We repeat history all the time, if the past is only the past and no not existent, we wouldn’t repeat it surely.. I don’t live solely for the present moment. I reflect before I make a present choice, typically. Reflect and estimate.


Artimas, the past doesn't exist. I know this is hard to contemplate because it seems so real. But it doesn't exist. We live in the present. Everything happens in the present. EVERYTHING! This has nothing whatsoever to do with reflection. Every single one of us reflecst IN THE PRESENT. Why is this so threatening?


I am not sure on how you think the past doesn’t exist because I definitely went to a friends yesterday and I do remember going and could even explain my time there. I was present when it was happening and I am present after it happened and maybe I will be present if it ever happens again too, that’s for me to decide, right now in any given present moment of continuity, dependent upon if I enjoyed my time of which occurred in the past from this point right now.

Time is a string Pg, just because we are constantly moving up the string, does not mean there is no behind us on that same string, science has made it clear and humanities interest still lies in the past, to learn what not to do or what to do.

It’s a string going in and out of continuing hour glasses. Obstacles and choices. Pyramids with inverted pyramids on top, the string going up and down them, like a ladder or staircase.

“Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984

It’s not threatening to me, the only reason there is a present now is because there was a present then, this then is called the past.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: New Discovery

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:41 pm

peacegirl wrote:
If there is no such thing as the past how can the past cause the present ? The present is influenced by what has occurred and choices are
made due to the memory of what occurred but we only have an eternal now . The fact that there is no past is important to this discussion

The eternal now is continuously changing and once it passes becomes the eternal past which could still exist as memory
But if there is no such thing as the eternal past then the eternal now would have to be entirely unchanging and timeless
As this is not the case then the eternal past must exist as well even if it can no longer be experienced by us in real time
Also if the eternal now was entirely unchanging and timeless there would be no determinism or free will or anything else
Time is a measurement of change so no time would mean no change where either nothing existed or everything was static
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Artimas wrote:
It's quite the opposite. The past does not exist. We only have the present. This is important so I will repeat: all we have is the present moment which quickly turns into a past event that is brought forth through memory even if what happened occurred a second ago. That is why animals do not have this ability to think about past events. They don't have the language that allows them to remember the past.


We only may interact with a present moment, this does not mean the past or future doesn’t exist.. the past can be replicated. Animals do have an ability to think about past events, just not to the extent we have.. which is already known and the differentiation in consciousness. We repeat history all the time, if the past is only the past and no not existent, we wouldn’t repeat it surely.. I don’t live solely for the present moment. I reflect before I make a present choice, typically. Reflect and estimate.


It's not that what has happened in the past didn't happen. It's that we can only gain access to what has happened through our memory. If we had amnesia, the past wouldn't exist since the eternal present is our only reality.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:31 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:
peacegirl wrote:
If there is no such thing as the past how can the past cause the present ? The present is influenced by what has occurred and choices are
made due to the memory of what occurred but we only have an eternal now . The fact that there is no past is important to this discussion

The eternal now is continuously changing and once it passes becomes the eternal past which could still exist as memory
But if there is no such thing as the eternal past then the eternal now would have to be entirely unchanging and timeless
As this is not the case then the eternal past must exist as well even if it can no longer be experienced by us in real time
Also if the eternal now was entirely unchanging and timeless there would be no determinism or free will or anything else
Time is a measurement of change so no time would mean no change where either nothing existed or everything was static


I never said the eternal now is unchanging and timeless, but the past is real only insofar as what we can recall through our memory, our history books, our pictures, our documentaries, etc. Just because we live in the eternal now doesn't mean everything is static. Nothing stays the same, not even for a nanosecond. Time is a measurement of these changes.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby Artimas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:55 pm

peacegirl wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote:
peacegirl wrote:
If there is no such thing as the past how can the past cause the present ? The present is influenced by what has occurred and choices are
made due to the memory of what occurred but we only have an eternal now . The fact that there is no past is important to this discussion

The eternal now is continuously changing and once it passes becomes the eternal past which could still exist as memory
But if there is no such thing as the eternal past then the eternal now would have to be entirely unchanging and timeless
As this is not the case then the eternal past must exist as well even if it can no longer be experienced by us in real time
Also if the eternal now was entirely unchanging and timeless there would be no determinism or free will or anything else
Time is a measurement of change so no time would mean no change where either nothing existed or everything was static


I never said the eternal now is unchanging and timeless, but the past is real only insofar as what we can recall through our memory, our history books, our pictures, our documentaries, etc. Just because we live in the eternal now doesn't mean everything is static. Nothing stays the same, not even for a nanosecond. Time is a measurement of these changes.


Yes and we are attached to the sum of all experience, both future and past.. via sub/unconscious. It’s history to prove an empirical past but imagination could prove a past of which we have forgotten or a future of which we may not understand quite yet. Think on it.

We have a connection to the string that has lasted the last billions of years(by still existing as a result of it) of which who knows if any civilizations happened, right? Well imagination says it did happen, our ideas that come to us, imagery. It can either mean it will happen or it did happen. That is the power of the psyche and what is the existential crisis that people try to escape or hide from, understanding that one is an infinite of experiences, possible or perhaps past, confined to a present moment of continuity.

It can be disagreed upon but it’s the truth. We have every invention now, that came from the imagination, should be empirical enough. The imagination being a communication method of the unconscious/subconscious to the conscious mind via imagery.

Am I saying dragons could have existed or could be a future biological creation? Yes, precisely. I think we don’t take into account how serious a role creativity and imagination has and if executed with properly balanced logic/reason.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 pm

peacegirl wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote:
peacegirl wrote:
If there is no such thing as the past how can the past cause the present ? The present is influenced by what has occurred and choices are
made due to the memory of what occurred but we only have an eternal now . The fact that there is no past is important to this discussion

The eternal now is continuously changing and once it passes becomes the eternal past which could still exist as memory
But if there is no such thing as the eternal past then the eternal now would have to be entirely unchanging and timeless
As this is not the case then the eternal past must exist as well even if it can no longer be experienced by us in real time
Also if the eternal now was entirely unchanging and timeless there would be no determinism or free will or anything else
Time is a measurement of change so no time would mean no change where either nothing existed or everything was static


I never said the eternal now is unchanging and timeless, but the past is real only insofar as what we can recall through our memory, our history books, our pictures, our documentaries, etc. Just because we live in the eternal now doesn't mean everything is static. Nothing stays the same, not even for a nanosecond. Time is a measurement of these changes.


Artimas wrote:Yes and we are attached to the sum of all experience, both future and past.. via sub/unconscious. It’s history to prove an empirical past but imagination could prove a past of which we have forgotten or a future of which we may not understand quite yet. Think on it.

We have a connection to the string that has lasted the last billions of years(by still existing as a result of it) of which who knows if any civilizations happened, right? Well imagination says it did happen, our ideas that come to us, imagery. It can either mean it will happen or it did happen. That is the power of the psyche and what is the existential crisis that people try to escape or hide from, understanding that one is an infinite of experiences, possible or perhaps past, confined to a present moment of continuity.

It can be disagreed upon but it’s the truth. We have every invention now, that came from the imagination, should be empirical enough. The imagination being a communication method of the unconscious/subconscious to the conscious mind via imagery.

Am I saying dragons could have existed or could be a future biological creation? Yes, precisely. I think we don’t take into account how serious a role creativity and imagination has and if executed with properly balanced logic/reason.


Imagination and creativity is an amazing attribute. I'm not sure where this negates the fact that all we have is the eternal present.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:28 pm

peacegirl wrote:
I never said the eternal now is unchanging and timeless but the past is real only insofar as what we can recall through our memory
our history books our pictures our documentaries

The past is actually more relevant to who we are because our experiences more than anything else are what define us
What is happening to you right now is less important as no time has passed for it to have truly affected you in any way

So the past is not just books and pictures and documentaries but our very being which is contained within both our conscious and sub conscious
Whether we remember it or not is not relevant as it is impossible not to be shaped by all of our experiences because they make us who we are
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby Artimas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:38 pm

If you control and utilize your eternal present you will always have and live in the future, for change will be rapid by properly executed perception. We have the future and the past, we interact in a present moment due to these two factors.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: New Discovery

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:41 pm

All of existence is physically connected and there are also more subtle psychological connections where we are concerned
We may separate time into past / present / future for reasons of practicality but in reality it is all continuous and eternal
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby Artimas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:44 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:All of existence is physically connected and there are also more subtle psychological connections where we are concerned
We may separate time into past / present / future for reasons of practicality but in reality it is all continuous and eternal

Yes and some of the only things that march with change, is entropy, ignorance and wisdom.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Artimas wrote:If you control and utilize your eternal present you will always have and live in the future, for change will be rapid by properly executed perception. We have the future and the past, we interact in a present moment due to these two factors.


You are misunderstanding the whole concept. We can utilize what has happened in the past to create a better tomorrow. But the past only exists in our memory and the future is not here yet. We only have now. I'm sure you will disagree with this truth, so I really have nothing more to say on the topic.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:13 pm

peacegirl wrote:
We can utilize what has happened in the past to create a better tomorrow . But the past only exists in our memory

The past exists in our sub conscious more than it does in our memory which is merely surface detail
The more powerful memories are sometimes buried so deep that we dont even know they are there
This is because we try to block negative memories but less we confront them they just remain buried instead
We cannot help but be shaped by the past because that is where we all come from regardless of anything else
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby Artimas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 pm

peacegirl wrote:
Artimas wrote:If you control and utilize your eternal present you will always have and live in the future, for change will be rapid by properly executed perception. We have the future and the past, we interact in a present moment due to these two factors.


You are misunderstanding the whole concept. We can utilize what has happened in the past to create a better tomorrow. But the past only exists in our memory and the future is not here yet. We only have now. I'm sure you will disagree with this truth, so I really have nothing more to say on the topic.


It’s not a truth and yes I am disagreeing with it because 80-90% of the mind doesn’t have a discretion of time. Time only exists to the conscious mind. Therefore if the subconscious or unconscious facets of ones mind and reality communicated to the conscious mind then the future and past is always available on an infinite string that may be revealed to the consciousness of an individual, we call that wisdom, knowledge, understanding.

So then tell me, how do inventions come to play if the future is not here yet? We make the future by being introduced to it, and how are we introduced to it if the mind doesn’t operate in past/future tense subconsciously? Do you think you go to your ideas or your ideas come to you? Ideas come to us not us to them.

How do we learn from mistakes if not a recognition of past?

The past in your memory is your individual past and interaction toward ones own identity(ego). Not the collective memory or unconscious. I am stating that we can get more from the collective than what you give credit, without directly experiencing such but instead, by focusing on the imagery (imagination) and using a priori to understand and manifest.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:53 am

surreptitious75 wrote:
peacegirl wrote:
We can utilize what has happened in the past to create a better tomorrow . But the past only exists in our memory

The past exists in our sub conscious more than it does in our memory which is merely surface detail
The more powerful memories are sometimes buried so deep that we dont even know they are there
This is because we try to block negative memories but less we confront them they just remain buried instead
We cannot help but be shaped by the past because that is where we all come from regardless of anything else


I'm not disagreeing with this. I don't see where this disproves that the present is all we have. Sometimes people say, "You're living in the past," which doesn't mean this person is actually able to go back to the past in body because the past is only a word to signify something that happened in our memory, but it doesn't actually exist, just like the future doesn't. That doesn't mean we can't think about what happened in our lives, and come to terms with certain events, nor does it mean that we can't envision the future and try to make good things happen, but all this thinking is in the present.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:43 am

The present is all we have as physical beings but we also have the mental baggage from our past in our memory and sub conscious
This is not a problem because these two states - the physical and the mental - exist together in all of us and all of the time as well
Remember that every second of the eternal now that you experience in your life will become the eternal past one second after this

All we can do is try to be the best versions of ourself that we can be regardless of the nature of time which is beyond our control any way
But all that is an eternal work in progress as one can never attain a state of perfection because the human condition is not capable of this
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:44 am

surreptitious75 wrote:
The present is all we have as physical beings but we also have the mental baggage from our past in our memory and sub conscious
This is not a problem because these two states - the physical and the mental - exist together in all of us and all of the time as well
Remember that every second of the eternal now that you experience in your life will become the eternal past one second after this

All we can do is try to be the best versions of ourself that we can be regardless of the nature of time which is beyond our control anyway
But all that is an eternal work in progress as one can never attain a state of perfection because the human condition is not capable of this
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:41 am

surreptitious75 wrote:The present is all we have as physical beings but we also have the mental baggage from our past in our memory and sub conscious
This is not a problem because these two states - the physical and the mental - exist together in all of us and all of the time as well
Remember that every second of the eternal now that you experience in your life will become the eternal past one second after this

All we can do is try to be the best versions of ourself that we can be regardless of the nature of time which is beyond our control any way
But all that is an eternal work in progress as one can never attain a state of perfection because the human condition is not capable of this


I agree, although there will be less baggage to deal with when children grow up in a world without blame, punishment, and critical judgement!
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:49 am

Artimas wrote:
peacegirl wrote:
Artimas wrote:If you control and utilize your eternal present you will always have and live in the future, for change will be rapid by properly executed perception. We have the future and the past, we interact in a present moment due to these two factors.


You are misunderstanding the whole concept. We can utilize what has happened in the past to create a better tomorrow. But the past only exists in our memory and the future is not here yet. We only have now. I'm sure you will disagree with this truth, so I really have nothing more to say on the topic.


It’s not a truth and yes I am disagreeing with it because 80-90% of the mind doesn’t have a discretion of time. Time only exists to the conscious mind. Therefore if the subconscious or unconscious facets of ones mind and reality communicated to the conscious mind then the future and past is always available on an infinite string that may be revealed to the consciousness of an individual, we call that wisdom, knowledge, understanding.

So then tell me, how do inventions come to play if the future is not here yet? We make the future by being introduced to it, and how are we introduced to it if the mind doesn’t operate in past/future tense subconsciously? Do you think you go to your ideas or your ideas come to you? Ideas come to us not us to them.

How do we learn from mistakes if not a recognition of past?

The past in your memory is your individual past and interaction toward ones own identity(ego). Not the collective memory or unconscious. I am stating that we can get more from the collective than what you give credit, without directly experiencing such but instead, by focusing on the imagery (imagination) and using a priori to understand and manifest.


Nothing that you said negates that we live and think in the present. We can learn from the past looking back in hindsight and we can try to influence a future we envision. This still does not negate the fact that the past and future are concepts of the mind but don’t exist in reality.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:54 am

We are actually becoming a more moral species over time as this is the nature of progress
But there is still plenty more we have to do before we can truly become universally moral
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby Artimas » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:40 am

Don’t need to negate it really, just show that it’s temporary, the present is more temporary than a past and future. It’s in pieces, never everlasting. They definitely exist in reality, both are observable.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: New Discovery

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:58 am

In practical terms the smallest measure of the present would be what we can perceive and separate from everything else
For the sake of simplicity I would say that measurement would be one second for anything smaller would pass too quickly
However compared to a Planck second which is the smallest possible unit of time there currently is it is very large indeed
The present is the smallest possible unit there could possibly be but this is soo small to be actually capable of perception
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:00 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:In practical terms the smallest measure of the present would be what we can perceive and separate from everything else
For the sake of simplicity I would say that measurement would be one second for anything smaller would pass too quickly
However compared to a Planck second which is the smallest possible unit of time there currently is it is very large indeed
The present is the smallest possible unit there could possibly be but this is soo small to be actually capable of perception


Any unit of measurement is still a measurement of change, however small. This doesn't get us any closer to the past being a real thing in terms of it actually existing in real time, or in the here and now.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby peacegirl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Artimas wrote:Don’t need to negate it really, just show that it’s temporary, the present is more temporary than a past and future. It’s in pieces, never everlasting. They definitely exist in reality, both are observable.


It's the complete opposite. The present is all we have (each moment is a slice of life that is continually changing) which makes it feel as if the past causes the present, which it doesn't. We only get pieces of the past in our mind's eye, and imaginings of the future, but these thoughts and images are never everlasting because that's not where we live in reality.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health,
lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys
information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” – Michael Ellner



peacegirl
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: New Discovery

Postby Artimas » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 pm

peacegirl wrote:
Artimas wrote:Don’t need to negate it really, just show that it’s temporary, the present is more temporary than a past and future. It’s in pieces, never everlasting. They definitely exist in reality, both are observable.


It's the complete opposite. The present is all we have (each moment is a slice of life that is continually changing) which makes it feel as if the past causes the present, which it doesn't. We only get pieces of the past in our mind's eye, and imaginings of the future, but these thoughts and images are never everlasting because that's not where we live in reality.


But it is where we live in reality, it is where we have lived and where we will live. The present moment is always moving and changing, and is something temporary not usually illusory? The past is there I can see it, it’s not moving, only growing larger, and the future is inevitable as well but also changing too but not as quickly as the present moment.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: New Discovery

Postby Meno_ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Past present future ,are mere images contained other images.contained this in stance, in a stance a posture of contention , holding up that image just a few moments.

This holding up can last a few seconds at most, then torn from within on a flash.

Bring it back again and again look,
this way and that, turn around,
I don't want him to see me,
he really doesn't like me,in the present
his beat friend told me.

Just a second I didn't get that imagining some far.away island drink pina colada at sunset.

Go to work , no, Kropotkin, check out
that woman in the bright yellow hat
Ain't she peculiar?

This moment on:
Your on target,
You ain't one,
Just do Your thang,

Wait!
Tomorrow , pay check
& home, tv dinners the kids the grandkids bubbling with excitement but, god dann it it's not ad hominem

What made you go to Europe so sudden?
Last summer? Liz is dead.

Tenement square changed and now, as suddenly time has receeded flashy
Into tahiti huts and can Gogh
Dramatics one jealous ear.Still!
Hanging, by a.thread,
Oh it's a.crazy lazy dream
a dolly may have, it's all
Cut!
Cut!
Off!
Off!

The steamy native hits back,
Ward travel in time, collusive cults staring that way into dark,he points toward that god and this
Oh pleeeeaaaase do not go on stop time atop it , a stop it, prop it but don't drop it, lot it , bob it , got it.

his tool boring into soft.tissues,
angling this and that way, her old man
toward The sea went fishin' caught one lost it on the way back to shore,
Hasn't been seen back since mane drwnin of broken heart, or felled.by cranes asunder.flyin' back from clock fights , now seeking warmer climate.


Faint glow of.thunder within cascades of subdued mixture pf laughter and disdainful clapping of hands

This as min.'d (Ed) comic effect interrupt flowing thought images defining flow of time , may be placed elsewhere ,
Coitus interrupt us of faculties far and wide.


Count them: Arc cha rec ter, art through premise, mag (z) d her and her rhythm"n blues, barbaric acts and unfathomable presumptions, the labyrinths of ambiguity, the miseries of peace ,and course the guy in philosophers fixed in aspic onentiger eye shewn2 3 ways, iirreligiois, irreverent jacob and last not least not waiting for no time world war three gib's terrific oh happy our happy day, and deservedly deservedly d 63 mulling like the thinker aside in al-Qaida , a side of him , glossy film through darkness of the mirror darkly atlas, shrug! and not lastly or or save for.the beat# art themes.and beams of.hidden candles of.cathedral beams of ages.spiraling.spires, candles and hits on expired roaches.


And unmentionables like ; Carlos and
Delivery and anomaly. Few left out imclusovely pupiseleasly. , not willfully, and without that much determinance.




https://youtu.be/ehTsjtd-GAI


Oh, ech, ech, u2,
Peacegirl maybe should trans fore tis' peace of... to writing. ? If You concur will ask Magazine, jee.! Or Mike?




https://youtu.be/9ckv6-yhnIY



Time is not a dimension. The future is only a dream of something yet to come, & if they have no transcendental relation, them, collusion or overlap define it through absorptive effects of mutual self consumption.


& I like u2.



Now will follow relatively non specifically without boundaries. A while at any rate .
Of Chang.e.



---- ---

--


The past is a memory in the mind's eye. That doesn't mean our past experiences didn't happen, but we reside in the eternal now. Time is not a dimension. The future is only a dream of something yet to come, and only becomes actualized in the present. I'm not sure how we got here, but the conversation has taken another detour.  


The past is a memory, the future is a dream

Doesent mean a memory through mind's eye- but reside in the eternal now. (Significant)


That residence fades . with time/ in time. -is that fade within its own cogniscance or is able to recover it merely as a partial image ? (Memory of residence)

Is the partial image as represented become the control around which the significance between residence and the mind's eye are negotiated ? ( Can current residence be tied to in a real way to the past to signify change)?

What is the difference? Is there one, that we can apprehend, or, is it mere entertaining visual clues? (Connecting partially cut images and reassembling them like Picasso did? ( Better melt them like a doll.i (Eeeeeeeeek.)).



https://m.phys.org/news/2011-04-scienti ... nsion.html
Last edited by Meno_ on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Meno_
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5076
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot]