The Trick of the Communists

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

The Trick of the Communists

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:58 pm

To make you think that figuring out the proper theoretical stance is more important than knowing what is actually going on in the world.

For propaganda nerds, the reasoning behind this is to make you doubt your ability to draw conclusions. How can you make a judgment on actual occurring things if you don't have a proper theoretical basis? Surely you don't think your own free thinking judgment will do? Surely?
Pedro I Rengel
Thinker

Re: The Trick of the Communists

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:00 pm

For geopolitics nerds, the goal is obviously to have as few people as possible actually looking into what is going on in the world. At least not to any significant detail.

"You are not qualified to have an opinion!"
Pedro I Rengel
Thinker

Postby Serendipper » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:25 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:To make you think that figuring out the proper theoretical stance is more important than knowing what is actually going on in the world.

That is a reprocessed version of the "smart people are stupid" ethos of the Right.

republicans.jpg
republicans.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 428 times

For propaganda nerds, the reasoning behind this is to make you doubt your ability to draw conclusions. How can you make a judgment on actual occurring things if you don't have a proper theoretical basis? Surely you don't think your own free thinking judgment will do? Surely?

Without a theoretical basis for rational thought we're left only with an authoritative basis, which is what the Right wants:

reasoning and confusion.jpg
reasoning and confusion.jpg (122.86 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Serendipper
Philosopher

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Serendipper,
I know you've been having interactions with him elsewhere, but at the level of abstraction in the OP, here, you would probably find yourself agreeing in many specific cases. I mean, look at Global Warming. Now you may say that you have theoretical bases to support your minority position, but you would be marginalized precisely in the way he is cataloguing in the OP.

I would have once dismissed the right's position on higher education and its effects in a similar way, but I have since seen how much truth there is in it. A set of specfic worldviews are created in much higher education. Good in many ways, but also loopy in others. I think its more complicated than your response would indicate.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby Silhouette » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:To make you think that figuring out the proper theoretical stance is more important than knowing what is actually going on in the world.

Yeah figuring out the proper theoretical stance is for chumps and the inventors of unbelievably advanced and complex technologies. Those idiots!

The personal incredulity fallacy is rife amongst the uneducated. They think that just because the methods and abstractions made by the best minds on the cutting edge of human knowledge don't get the application of revolutionary genius 100% right every time, it can't be that it's as far beyond them as it seems and is proclaimed and valued to be. Mimicking traditions that seemed to work well enough in the past, which still get more reliable results in the present, must therefore be superior to trying new provisionally less understood things. The risk of innovation and the unfamiliarity of the complex must be scary!

Of course they both matter, and the mental and emotional state of the less mentally capable matters too. It could be chaotic if too many innovations (always praised by the same people as a strength of Capitalism once they finally work well enough!) were tried at once, before they were sufficiently tested. But only a black and white thinker would then proceed to rule out the value of theory in favour of familiar practice - even worse, under the assumption that the two are diametrically opposed! In practice, theory and practice are combined under the scientific method, which is what all these tricksy intellectual "Communists" are actually using. Obviously there are people who identify with Communists and/or Intellectuals, or who are associated with them by proxy, who are anything but - and these charlatans certainly deserve posts like this. But despite the increased noise that they make, increased further by the sensationalist media, they're really really not representative of this popular point by the uneducated about higher education. I admit that there are non-scientific subjects that have been elevated to the status of "higher education", bringing the whole enterprise down in terms of reputation, but even then I hesitate to bring down all artistic study. For all the whacks, there is genius in art, and while it's a stretch I don't think it's wrong to say that artistic thinking is what inspires actual intellectuals and scientists to explore the theory that has become progress in practice for a long time now.

There's nothing wrong with higher education, except its PR. There may however be a problem with what is being called higher education, and the relative importance it's being given at the expense of the legitimate higher education that is the whole reason we advance as a species (via theory).
Silhouette
Philosopher

Return to Society, Government, and Economics