Liberal & Conservative 'Pseudoscience'

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Re: Liberal & Conservative 'Pseudoscience'

Postby Gloominary » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:06 pm

@Serendipper

I don't think the bible is asserting that globalism is necessarily bad because after all god is the ultimate globalist.

Right, the bible is saying man's/Satan's globalist state is bad, whereas man's nationalist state is okay, so long as it doesn't persecute Christians, whereas El's (I prefer to call him El, I mean if we were talking about Odin or Zeus, we wouldn't use the generic God name) globalism is good, but El's is fully established after the fall of man's/Satan's global state, not before.
There's no such thing as a Christian state, which's why the church was kept fundamentally separate from the state all those years.

Watts said it puzzled him that people of a republic would have a monarchical theory of the universe. Looks like a bit of cognitive dissonance going on.

I guess their politics, evolved, faster than their religion, but some of your founders were deists and others were probably closeted atheists.

Watts pointed out that nature is really wasteful and it's evidence that the universe is merely having fun (expending energy just for the sake of expending energy).

The universe is too silly and inefficient to be anything we could have made lol

Apparently the universe is almost completely desolate and hostile to life.

Doesn't seem like anything a God would have made.

Well, doing good for its own sake isn't a religion. As a religion, they do things they think will help ensure a seat in heaven. I mean, if I'm nice to joe because I want him to be nice to me, I'm not practicing a religion. But if I'm nice to joe because I think god will kick my ass, then that's religion.

Would you rather be friends with the kid who's only nice to you because his parents threatened to beat his ass or the kid that just wanted to be nice because it's a sensible thing to do? Where is the moral foundation here?

I don't see it like that.
Again it's salvation by faith in Christ alone, not works.
The Christian loves and forgives freely, because they want to please El and take care of their fellow man, because you were loved and forgiven by God freely, not for fear of going to hell if they don't.
I see Christianity, in its uncorrupted form as a very yin sort of spirituality, not a yang sort of religion, but the religious don't get it.
According to the bible, man can do little-no good on his own, whatever good he does is mostly or fundamentally the holy spirit doing it through him, when his pride gets out of the way.
I also think the bible says genuine Christians can't, and don't need to be perfect.
The apostles themselves sinned many times, one of them even denied Jesus thrice.
So long as Christians remain in this body on this earth, perfection is impossible.

It's obligatory if it's considered evidence of salvation. It's obligatory that a plant not be a weed if it wants to live. There is nothing you can do, but your action is still required. It's required as an effect of salvation. If the good works aren't there, then the salvation probably isn't there.

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

My understanding of judaism has always been the obverse of christianity in that right-action can somehow influence salvation.

Right, the good deeds are an effect, not the cause of salvation.
If the Christian can't see any genuine love and forgiveness in his fellow whatsoever, than they're probably not saved, but Christians aren't required to be perfect.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics