Afterlife, Past Lives, Consciousness, and Eternity

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Afterlife, Past Lives, Consciousness, and Eternity

Postby existentialinsomnia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:35 pm

What is your opinion on the idea of an afterlife, consciousness after death, and eternity?
Bonus question for those who believe in an afterlife: do you believe in past lives as well?
existentialinsomnia

Re: Afterlife, Past Lives, Consciousness, and Eternity

Postby Guide » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:30 am

Except that it is incommodious, I have never seen any objection to the thesis of concurrent life-after-life(s) in life.

This life is already a "afterlife" so far as one can see.

The issue is surrounded by the general opinion that treats the "world" as such as existing apart from one's own radius of experience. This "general opinion" is likely an ontological feature of human life, we, each one, have the "world" as part of ourselves.
Guide

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:49 pm

The issue is surrounded by the general opinion that treats the "world" as such as existing apart from one's own radius of experience. This "general opinion" is likely an ontological feature of human life, we, each one, have the "world" as part of ourselves.

I believe this is true. For those believing that brains create consciousness, the world we experience is an artificial reality or "Matrix" created and generated by the brain. The existence (if they exist) of dreamless sleep and death (the only difference between them being the former is temporary and the latter eternal, for those who do not believe in an afterlife) is proof that consciousness is a "Matrix" not created by artificially intelligent machines but the physical brain (for those believing the brain creates consciousness). For those who do not believe that brains create consciousness, consciousness is still a "Matrix" created by another consciousness, conscious particles, or conscious substance.
J.Brewer
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.

email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker

Postby barbarianhorde » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:32 pm

It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:04 am

Nice video.
J.Brewer

phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker

Postby bahman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 am

existentialinsomnia wrote:What is your opinion on the idea of an afterlife, consciousness after death, and eternity?

I think that we are eternal.

existentialinsomnia wrote:Bonus question for those who believe in an afterlife: do you believe in past lives as well?

Yes.
The sincerity in mind is the door to divine knowledge.
bahman

Postby Exuberant Teleportation » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:43 pm

There could be a pool of ideals that we're returning towards, a higher palace of wonders and enchantment. Old themes and archetypes may guide our journeys in the dream worlds, show us the keys to opening the acentric labyrinth. Spirit is a quest to unearth our true nature, what we seek most in life. As ghosts, the adventure must wheel ever further, flooding our portraits of happier days under the sun. So it's sunshine and rainbows forever in heaven, and a rainbow bridge of self fulfillment and discovery.
RaptorWizard - Secret Garden of Rare Quotes viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194124
RevanFailNhilusOwn https://www.youtube.com/user/RevanFailNhilusOwn
machine/celebi tesla Polarities/Extremities http://montalk.net/
The Dragon Mind of Zen https://www.youtube.com/user/bodhichild
Luke Skywalker http://www.thehiddenrecords.com/
How many stars are there? I'm going to be the first one to see them all!
The idea is to carry a wish crown, a kind of shimmering artwork or network gallery, a set of bands or chosen assignments that flips a GameBoyColor into a Will-o~the+Wisp/ectoplasm, or the whispering of the Thunder being the Oracle.
The highest North is the Heaviest helmet, immersing you into all of the constellations!!
Breton to Skyrim, so the Devil made multifaceted copies of himself that got progressively better along the Way! Polaris Statues have orbs that stand out from all the rest slows people down! The dark side is small compared to the Light! Lao Tzu is Yoda’s Tao.
Exuberant Teleportation
Philosopher

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:55 pm

As ghosts, the adventure must wheel ever further, flooding our portraits of happier days under the sun. So it's sunshine and rainbows forever in heaven, and a rainbow bridge of self fulfillment and discovery.

I really, really like this.
J.Brewer

phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker

Postby Exuberant Teleportation » Fri May 17, 2019 10:00 pm

It might be really exciting to meet/figure-out who we were in past lives, to drown ourselves in the pleasures of long lost gifts, and sprinkle some of our greatest testaments into the archive of lore and legend. Since we're on a philosophy forum, there may even be a few of us who were some famous, influential thinker in past ages! The possibilities are endless. Deciphering our soul card, and getting granted access to the castle kingdom even that we spent between our lives, previewing where we would go next, must have been ecstatic. And some of us may have even come from Atlantis (or some other lost kingdom or world).
RaptorWizard - Secret Garden of Rare Quotes viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194124
RevanFailNhilusOwn https://www.youtube.com/user/RevanFailNhilusOwn
machine/celebi tesla Polarities/Extremities http://montalk.net/
The Dragon Mind of Zen https://www.youtube.com/user/bodhichild
Luke Skywalker http://www.thehiddenrecords.com/
How many stars are there? I'm going to be the first one to see them all!
The idea is to carry a wish crown, a kind of shimmering artwork or network gallery, a set of bands or chosen assignments that flips a GameBoyColor into a Will-o~the+Wisp/ectoplasm, or the whispering of the Thunder being the Oracle.
The highest North is the Heaviest helmet, immersing you into all of the constellations!!
Breton to Skyrim, so the Devil made multifaceted copies of himself that got progressively better along the Way! Polaris Statues have orbs that stand out from all the rest slows people down! The dark side is small compared to the Light! Lao Tzu is Yoda’s Tao.
Exuberant Teleportation
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 pm

I think death is nothing more than a transition from consciousness to non consciousness
I think most human beings want an afterlife to exist because they cannot deal with the concept of eternal death
I have no problem with death because it is the end of all suffering - what would bother me would be eternal life
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Thinker

Return to Philosophy