Anyone had hypnotic regression to past lives?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Anyone had hypnotic regression to past lives?

Postby Maia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:26 am

I've been offered the opportunity to have this but I'm not sure. Are some things best left unknown?
Maia
Philosopher

Re: Anyone had hypnotic regression to past lives?

Postby gib » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Do it for my sake. I'd like to know.
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
- unknown source

Men must be taught as if you taught them not. And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
- Alexander Pope

Here lies the body of William J, who died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sped along, but he's just as dead as if he were wrong.
- Boston Transcript
gib
resident exorcist

Postby Maia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Well, I probably shall. The hypnotist said it would be an interesting challenge actually trying to hypnotise me.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 pm

I tried this many years ago. But I was not able to be hypnotized. A "battle of wills" I think some call it.

Of course all of this speculation about past lives is almost surely intertwined psychologically in our wanting there to be life of some sort after we shuffle off this one.

So, what would seem to be of most importance then is the extent to which any of this can actually be substantiated with hard evidence.

Which, I suppose, is why most folks just stick with God here. With Him all one needs is faith.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Maybe I should try hypnotic regression to future lives too. Why should we experience lives in historical order? Perhaps many of our own incarnations are walkiing around now, simultaneously. Maybe everyone is a reincarnation of the same person.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Maia wrote:Maybe I should try hypnotic regression to future lives too. Why should we experience lives in historical order? Perhaps many of our own incarnations are walkiing around now, simultaneously. Maybe everyone is a reincarnation of the same person.

Well, the tricky part with hypnotic progression into the future would seem to be that if this can be accomplished then your life in the future does in fact exist. And if something already exists then you would seem to have no capacity to make it exist in any other way than it does.

It's like astrology. If our lives are controlled by celestial bodies then what real choice to we have over anything? We can only try to facilitate what is already "in the stars".

For me this sort of speculation revolves around a wanting there to be something beyond the grave; and a belief that what happens on this side of it happens for reasons that are largely beyond our understanding or control.

A psychological foundation for "I" in other words.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:41 am

Astrology is just a set of influences. It doesn't mean that something will definitely happen.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:14 am

Maia wrote:I've been offered the opportunity to have this but I'm not sure. Are some things best left unknown?

I have some quasi experiences but some are very personal, there is some evidence in my life , that makes the possibility of it a toss up. I can't disbelieve it, as well.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:41 pm

You tend to know instinctively if something is true or not.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:37 am

Instinctually I'm almost positive. We are beyond the age of the greatest doubts (rationalism), which was a turning point of the Dark Ages, and besides the instincts, science has added fuel to the unconvinced , especially the relativity and the uncertainty theories

What makes regression much more tenable is the idea of energies, as foundations and we all know about how negative and positive energies can effect our life.

The energies are the eyes to our feelings even after our ego's recede as the primary doors of perception , and those who have gone through such indelible metamorphosis, know the absolute pain of it.

The regression bypasses rational sequential understanding, and recreates various other gestalt of apprehended and somehow bounded consciousness.

This can land one also in the even vaguer feeling for reincarnation- which is the other side of regressed states .
Meno_
Philosopher

Return to Psychology and Mind