Anyone know a good cure for S.A.D.?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Anyone know a good cure for S.A.D.?

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:07 pm

I walk an average 2 - 3 miles a day 8 days a month
So my total step number at approximately I 500 steps a mile is 30 000 which is on average I 000 a day
However I measure distance walked in either miles or hours as steps are both too small and too many
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Thinker

Postby Maia » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:39 pm

If we factor in walking too, then my figure is an absolute minimum of 2 miles a day, 5 evenings a week, since I walk to and from work, which is a mile away. That's not counting all the other walking I do, at home or going to the shops. At work I do a lot of running around, on a stop-start sort of basis, since most evenings I'm out on the court, assisting with the senior citizens' sports club, which basically involves pushing their wheelchairs round. Other times I might be helping them in the pool.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:34 am

surreptitious75 wrote:I walk an average 2 - 3 miles a day 8 days a month..

I would hazard a guess that 1000 steps a day is an improvement on your previous steps-per-day average.. that's if you even had one at all? I know I didn't, and it's not a place I want to go to again, so knowing the trigger and avoiding it, is paramount to avoidance.

I could tell by the tone in your more recent posts, that you were mentally and physically in a more positive place.. whatever it is that floors our cells and therefore our being, should not be allowed in the human food chain.

Maia wrote:If we factor in walking too, then my figure is an absolute minimum of 2 miles a day, 5 evenings a week..

You are quite active, if not very.. already - can you feel any improvement in yourself since starting your morning workouts?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Maia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:47 am

MagsJ wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote:I walk an average 2 - 3 miles a day 8 days a month..

I would hazard a guess that 1000 steps a day is an improvement on your previous steps-per-day average.. that's if you even had one at all? I know I didn't, and it's not a place I want to go to again, so knowing the trigger and avoiding it, is paramount to avoidance.

I could tell by the tone in your more recent posts, that you were mentally and physically in a more positive place.. whatever it is that floors our cells and therefore our being, should not be allowed in the human food chain.

Maia wrote:If we factor in walking too, then my figure is an absolute minimum of 2 miles a day, 5 evenings a week..

You are quite active, if not very.. already - can you feel any improvement in yourself since starting your morning workouts?

Yes, I believe I can feel an improvement, if only a slight one, which is why I was thinking of increasing it to two hours. It's also helping my sleep pattern.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:08 am

Maia wrote:Yes, I believe I can feel an improvement, if only a slight one, which is why I was thinking of increasing it to two hours. It's also helping my sleep pattern.

Hey! that's great.. why more squats only though? Why not alternate knee to chest jumps, or star jumps in addition to squats? or some push-ups etc..

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Maia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:22 am

MagsJ wrote:
Maia wrote:Yes, I believe I can feel an improvement, if only a slight one, which is why I was thinking of increasing it to two hours. It's also helping my sleep pattern.

Hey! that's great.. why more squats only though? Why not alternate knee to chest jumps, or star jumps in addition to squats? or some push-ups etc..

I could give them a go, but I'm far more used to squats as we had to practice them every day at school for the squatball team.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Maia wrote:I could give them a go, but I'm far more used to squats as we had to practice them every day at school for the squatball team.

Your body will appreciate a more rounded workout more though, which does mean incorporating upper-body and variety, but the choice to is obviously yours to have.

Just saw an advert for CBD oil.. yes CBD oil.. they sneaked the legalisation of it past any fanfare of a formal announcement, but the one advertised came in four flavours.. hence additives lol. The conglomerates just don't get it do they? un-labeled additives in everything, which is making the UK workforce lethargic and unproductive, and something which our media has hi-lighted and which needs addressing.

I'm trying ginseng, from today.. the Korean.. as opposed to Siberian, one, to help with quicker recovery from my weight-training sessions, which nearly killed me last week, but I live to tell another tale lol.

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Mags wrote:
I could tell by the tone in your more recent posts that you were mentally and physically in a more positive place

I am in a more positive place but it is a work in progress and so there is always room for improvement though I simply let it be
I am now less dogmatic than ever and in actual fact have no absolute views on anything that is not demonstrably true or false
I try to avoid negative thoughts as much as possible and exclusively focus all my energy only on things that actually affect me
I know that nothing really matters in the grand scheme of things so I do not waste time worrying about what I can not change
surreptitious75
Thinker

Postby Maia » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:52 am

What's it called when you hold your hands behind your neck while squating and hold a ball between your elbows?
Maia
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious75 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Squat Thrust ?
surreptitious75
Thinker

Postby Maia » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:56 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:
Squat Thrust ?

Possibly. That's how we were taught to do it at boarding school because the game of squatball involves using only your elbows and knees to catch and throw a ball, while squating. The ball has a bell in it by the way, in case anyone was wondering.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:I am in a more positive place but it is a work in progress and so there is always room for improvement though I simply let it be
Personal growth should be a mindful act of being a daily work in progress, or the day we realise this.. for whatever reason or trigger brought us there, will come as a very unpleasant shock to our very core.

I try to avoid negative thoughts as much as possible and exclusively focus all my energy only on things that actually affect me
I know that nothing really matters in the grand scheme of things so I do not waste time worrying about what I can not change
..but yet something told the mind to go there.. to swim in negative thoughts, that have to be gotten out of.. like swimming against the tide.

..and what a grand day it is, when there is no need to worry.

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind