The Triune Brain Revisited

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

The Triune Brain Revisited

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:37 pm

According to Paul MacLean the human brain has evolved in three stages. The first is the reptilian complex or the brain base. Over that emerged the paleo mammalian complex or the limbic system. Above that has developed the neomammalian complex or cerebral neocortex. All three brains remain as a trinity in one brain. All three continue to express themselves in our thoughts and actions. Consequently ideas such as seeing God as a trinity are natural if we see what we are. This is the reason the Genesis story of Adam, Eve and Serpent remains with us in the 21st century. The story is told through our own Eden consciousness with the three voices of our triune brain--the neomammalian, the mammalian and the reptilian.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Re: The Triune Brain Revisited

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:35 pm

From our experience as matter come the matters in our minds.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Three!--being, belonging, becoming--body, mind spirit--the number that best characterizes the categories of what it is like to be human.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 pm

I make it a point to revisit my brain from time to time. McLean thought that reptiles were totally drive ridden. Seems to me that he may have given them a bum rap. The more we find out about our animal kindred the more intelligent they seem to be but our anthropocentrism prevented us from seeing it.

felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:07 pm

felix dakat wrote:I make it a point to revisit my brain from time to time. McLean thought that reptiles were totally drive ridden. Seems to me that he may have given them a bum rap. The more we find out about our animal kindred the more intelligent they seem to be but our anthropocentrism prevented us from seeing it.

I agree. Reptiles can act in ways that appear not to be purely instinctual. The Eden Serpent was quite articulate. So are the body's hungers and drives. The Adamic neocortex, however, supposedly offers more options between drive and fulfillment, between the urge and the action. Freud thought that the most evolved animals have a space for consideration of options between an urge and its consequent action. Sometimes that is more of a curse than a blessing. :D
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Return to Religion and Spirituality