British social class, test

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

British social class, test

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 pm

For some reason, us Brits are all kind of obsessed with class.
There are a lot of things that can signify class, such as how we speak and how we eat, but can we guess your social class from just eight random questions?

Take our quiz to find out – and let us know if we get it right (or horribly wrong)!

I got:
Upper-middle class

You're upper-middle class! You probably had a good education before going off and studying at university, quite possibly enjoying city life in London or Manchester. You're partial to some avocado toast and a bit of smoked salmon, and while you wouldn't call yourself posh, you do enjoy some of the finer things in life.

This is actually spot on.. but I'd like more money to go with that social status, please.

You don't have to be British to take the test, so see if you're rating is as accurate as mine?
MagsJ
The Londonist

Re: British social class, test

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 pm

I received your score as well...upper middle class. Had to chuckle on the strength of my accent question which I scored as a 1. :mrgreen: My accent is literally non-existent.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Thanathots » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:10 pm

That you measure your social class by some stupid internet questionnaire tells me all I need to know about what social class you really are.
Thanathots

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanathots wrote:That you measure your social class by some stupid internet questionnaire tells me all I need to know about what social class you really are.

What part of 'spot on' don't you get?

Do tell me which social class (you think) I really belong in? the options were easy to choose from, and the wording generated.. spot on.
You're upper-middle class! You probably had a good education before going off and studying at university, quite possibly enjoying city life in London or Manchester. You're partial to some avocado toast and a bit of smoked salmon, and while you wouldn't call yourself posh, you do enjoy some of the finer things in life.

You remind me of someone.. :-k and it's very obvious who.

Being a miserable fucker does not a real philosopher make..
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:57 pm

I was upper class. *shrug*
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:58 pm

WendyDarling wrote:I received your score as well...upper middle class. Had to chuckle on the strength of my accent question which I scored as a 1. :mrgreen: My accent is literally non-existent.

Did you find the resulting wording spot on?

I used to have a slight Caribbean lilt as a kid, a'la Rihanna, but I lost it quite quickly once I'd started school.. I now grieve for it, and even try to get it back, but I don't have the time or the inclination to sustain the attempt. 8-[

I sometimes talk street speak.. mainly to amuse myself/my mind, but that's started to annoy me now, so I think I'll settle into my natural speak, which I'd say is a neutral North London accent.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Ecmandu wrote:I was upper class. *shrug*

What was the wording that your result generated?

Did you find it to be spot on?
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby iambiguous » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Is lumpenproletariat one of the options? :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:16 am

iambiguous wrote:Is lumpenproletariat one of the options? :wink:

Take the test and find out. ;)
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:26 am

MagsJ wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:I was upper class. *shrug*

What was the wording that your result generated?

Did you find it to be spot on?

They were all English terms, it was gibberish to me...

One question about where I shopped was also all just English and gibberish...
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Ecmandu wrote:They were all English terms, it was gibberish to me...

One question about where I shopped was also all just English and gibberish...

image.png
image.png (410.12 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Well.. that is the stereotypical upper class remit. I have those remits, but I don't want to be upper class/posh, coz.. as Marlene Dietrich famously said "I vont.. to be.. alone", for your life would never be your own, and you would have to be obligated to marry into a family to a match that you aren't even particularly attracted to (evident.. by the amount of broken engagements that that demographic is now suffering from) so that they can marry someone they are attracted to.

I think that being upper class simply makes one a target for others' whims.

image.png
image.png (365.66 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Waitrose and M&S are posh shops (in that order, I think) and the remainder.. mainstream, but not necessarily always cheaper on big brand ranges, and I wouldn't trust their own-brand ranges with respect to toxic ingredients and contaminants.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:09 pm

I chose Sainsburys as the shop.

I am precise with language when I speak, Moreso than an average person. I do this for spiritual protection though
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:56 am

Ecmandu wrote:I chose Sainsburys as the shop.

I am precise with language when I speak, Moreso than an average person. I do this for spiritual protection though

Sainsburys has a pricey celebrity-endorsed range, so probably why it's still on the Upper's radar.. as does Tesco, but Lidl and Aldi are definitely at the lower end of the spectrum, but such shops are now in vogue for frugality's sake. Morrisons and Asda are mid-range, and are mainly only found in superstore areas.

I have heard you speak.. in your videos, but how does speaking in a measured way aid with spiritual protection? or do you simply mean in a social-buffering sense?
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Thanathots » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Magsj is Wakandan royalty. Dey be queenz and kangz mayne
Thanathots

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanathots wrote:Magsj is Wakandan royalty. Dey be queenz and kangz mayne

Lololol

The test was for British social class, but you obviously chose to ignore that, for the sake of comedy value.. at my expense.

Caribbeans are into the film, but not the whole Wakanda! thing, like your African-Americans seem to be. ;) They even gave the whole Black Lives Matter thing a go.. for one day/one march only, but it didn't take off beyond that.. when they realised that they weren't a suppressed black nation. :lol:

..and no more trolling from you.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Class is a more flexible concept compared to more rigid descriptors such as gender and race and nationality
This is why it never shows up on any diversity questionnaires although if it is that important then it ought to

I do not define myself by class as such but if I am required to I would say that I am definitely lower class and always will be too
Absolutely every thing about me is that other than the fact I am a serious reader which is a predominantly middle class activity
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:16 pm

I think the two most sophisticated supermarkets are Marks and Spencers and Sainsburys
Then Waitrose and Tesco and Asda and Morrisons and finally Aldi and Lidl at the bottom
surreptitious75

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:26 pm

I think Mags is a sophisticated individual with excellent standards who wants to better herself even more
Her questionnaire was very accurate and I wish her all the best in climbing the social ladder even higher
surreptitious75

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:47 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:Class is a more flexible concept compared to more rigid descriptors such as gender and race and nationality
This is why it never shows up on any diversity questionnaires although if it is that important then it ought to

I do not define myself by class as such but if I am required to I would say that I am definitely lower class and always will be too
Absolutely every thing about me is that other than the fact I am a serious reader which is a predominantly middle class activity

I think the North/South divide has replaced the class system, which seems to be much more palatable for today's modern British climate, but which comes with its own set of arguments.. especially in Politics and Manufacturing, for example: talk of moving Parliament permanently up North.

I think Mags is a sophisticated individual with excellent standards who wants to better herself even more
Her questionnaire was very accurate and I wish her all the best in climbing the social ladder even higher

:lol:

I am not looking for and neither did I ask for, anyone's approval or commentary on me, but to discuss the issue in a broader view as I have done so above. ^^^

No-one likes being stifled and their shine dulled.. which people cannot help but do, so putting one's mindset out of the hive mind will allow it not to happen, whether that be classified as the class system or not.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:19 pm

I think I simply find the whole thing fascinating.. an outsider looking in, but yet involuntarily participating by nomination and curiosity and default. The polemic posturing of Thanethots et al is based on nothing but their desire to ridicule, rather than delve deeper into the topic.

The social structure of the United Kingdom has historically been highly influenced by the concept of social class, with the concept still affecting British society today.[1][2]

British society, like its European neighbours and most societies in world history, was traditionally (before the Industrial Revolution) divided hierarchically within a system that involved the hereditary transmission of occupation, social status and political influence.[3] Since the advent of industrialisation, this system has been in a constant state of revision, and new factors other than birth (for example, education) are now a greater part of creating identity in Britain.

Although definitions of social class in the United Kingdom vary and are highly controversial, most are influenced by factors of wealth, occupation and education. Until recently the Parliament of the United Kingdom was organised on a class basis, with the House of Lords representing the hereditary upper-class and the House of Commons representing everybody else. The British monarch is usually viewed as being at the top of the social class structure.

British society has experienced significant change since the Second World War, including an expansion of higher education and home ownership, a shift towards a service-dominated economy, mass immigration, a changing role for women and a more individualistic culture, and these changes have had a considerable impact on the social landscape.[4] However, claims that the UK has become a classless society have frequently been met with scepticism.[5][6][7] Research has shown that social status in the United Kingdom is influenced by, although separate from, social class.[8]

The biggest current study of social class in the United Kingdom is the Great British Class Survey.[9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_ ... ed_Kingdom
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:38 pm

I recently had an interesting thought on this:

Formal education is the institutional body of modern religion, each completed stage a sacrament. So Kinder Garden is like baptism, elementary school is like the first communion, high school is like the confirmation, college/undergrad university is being ordained as a priest, one enters the priestly class that herds the flock, graduate studies are for higher priest occupations like cardinal or bishop, post grad and doctoral studies are like becoming a monk or entering the very highest rung of priesthood where doctrine is decided upon.
"I am not fazed by myself. I have dragged myself through too much of myself to be fazed. Others are disturbed by the slightes articulation of themselves. But they are unfazed by the machine."
Pedro I Rengel

Postby MagsJ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:I recently had an interesting thought on this:

Formal education is the institutional body of modern religion, each completed stage a sacrament.

There is no coincidence that the sacraments coincide with the respective pivotal school years.. having been through both systems, we were made to be aware of and made to be prepared for, each upcoming stage and sacrament.

We all also noticed the atheist schools' lack of boundaries, focus, common sense, and many other aspects that they were lacking in.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:44 pm

What matters was the diploma!
"I am not fazed by myself. I have dragged myself through too much of myself to be fazed. Others are disturbed by the slightes articulation of themselves. But they are unfazed by the machine."
Pedro I Rengel

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:What matters was the diploma!

..gained through a full school curriculum of current knowledge and field trips? the path being just as important as the diploma itself.. though learning doesn't have to be school-based.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Is there such a thing as just knowledge? Or is it always biased? The diploma is proof that you are capable of at least imitating the bias. That's why it's religious.

I'm not against bias. I'm against bias that pretends not to exist.
Pedro I Rengel

Next

Return to Society, Government, and Economics