Adages & Proverbs

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Adages & Proverbs

Postby jonquil » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Ierrellus wrote:When I was a child--one Sunday God and I skipped church and went for a dip in the crawdad hole.--Ierrellus

When we were little, I and my brothers and our friends used to love going down to Five Mile Creek to catch crawdads. I never thought of it as church, but it was fun. Imagine -- church fun. That's a concept that never really occurred to me before, but I don't see why God wouldn't be one for fun sometimes.
"Sur le volcan ne pousse pas l'herbe" (Grass does not grow on a volcano). - Ivor Cutler on his bald pate
jonquil
Philosopher

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:17 pm

jonquil wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:When I was a child--one Sunday God and I skipped church and went for a dip in the crawdad hole.--Ierrellus

When we were little, I and my brothers and our friends used to love going down to Five Mile Creek to catch crawdads. I never thought of it as church, but it was fun. Imagine -- church fun. That's a concept that never really occurred to me before, but I don't see why God wouldn't be one for fun sometimes.

Church? Read Emily Dickenson.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby jonquil » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
jonquil wrote:When we were little, I and my brothers and our friends used to love going down to Five Mile Creek to catch crawdads. I never thought of it as church, but it was fun. Imagine -- church fun. That's a concept that never really occurred to me before, but I don't see why God wouldn't be one for fun sometimes.

Ierrellus wrote:Church? Read Emily Dickenson.

I love Dickinson's poems. I have a very fluid and open idea of church these days. Sacred moments can occur anywhere. Besides, I have always loved the idea of the world as an open cathedral. It really came home to me at the end of a Tarkovsky movie, Nostalghia (I think).
"Sur le volcan ne pousse pas l'herbe" (Grass does not grow on a volcano). - Ivor Cutler on his bald pate
jonquil
Philosopher

Postby Jayson » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 pm

Watch the chatter in this thread please.
If we get inspired to discussion from this thread, please create a thread to carry out that discussion; this thread is aimed at just housing adages and proverbs without discussion of them in the thread.

Thank you.
>jaysonthestumps.blogspot.com
>Hebrew, Greek, and more similar resources on ILP

Spiritual: a set of neurological processes dealing with value placement, empathy, and sympathy through the associative truncation of relative identity, and which has reached a value set capable of being described as reverent to the individual, and from which existential experience and reflection is capable explicitly.
Jayson
Alaskan Gypsy

Postby Bob Loblaw » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:40 am

Everyone has a plan. Until they get hit. - Mike Tyson

Decide that you want it more than you're afraid of it. - Bill Cosby

I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one. - Les Paul

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. - Stephen Wright

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true. - Buddha

Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. - Mark Twain

Human beings must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it. - Albert Einstein
Bob Loblaw

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:23 pm

A mind is like a diaper. It needs changed often, and for the same reason.--Woody Allen
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:12 pm

It is better to eat meat and drink wine than to eat the flesh of one's brethren through slander.
Abba Hyperechius
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:15 pm

A man may seem to be silent, but if his heart is condemning others, he is babbling ceaselessly. But there may be another who talks from morning till night and yet he is truly silent, that is, he says nothing that is not profitable.
Abba Pimen

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:18 pm

'If a man wants God to hear his prayer quickly, then before he prays for anything else, even his own soul, when he stands and stretches out his hands towards God, he must pray with all his heart for his enemies. Through this action God will hear everything that he asks.'
Abbot Zeno

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:22 pm

If our bat is flying in our belfry and not our seagull, best, still, to let it fly.
arcturus rising

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:26 pm

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, who am I for? And if not now, when?
- Talmud

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it and whispers, grow, grow.
The Talmud

:cry:

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:32 pm

He that gives should not remember, he that receives should never forget.
The Talmud

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Tab » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:34 pm

We are that which is sensitive to initial conditions.
Tab
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:34 pm

We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are. :angelic-whiteflying:
The Talmud

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby helptheherd » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:17 am

Epigram from the French

Sir, I admit to your general rule
That every poet is a fool:
But you yourself may serve to show it,
That every fool is not a poet.

Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
"Love one another as I have loved you" -Jesus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Einstein
"Energy Equals Timeheat" - D.R.
"Existence Equals Belief in Higher Power" - D.R.
"Belief in Higher Power Equals Love" - D.R.
"Nothing and Something Equals Love and Evil" - D.R.
helptheherd
In debt to God

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:34 pm

As he lay dying, Sam Clemens was asked if he had made his peace with God. Clemens responded, "I didn't know we were having an argument."
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Phemanderac » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 am

If you understand then things are as they are, if you do not understand then things are as they are...
Zen Proverb

Don't mess with Mrs Murphy...
Another one of Murphy's laws

No man can make a building worthy of a God
I think it was a Celtic/Druid saying, but I might be making that up 8-[

Woops, bad typing day, got my name wrong registering too - should have just stopped at that point I think #-o
Last edited by Phemanderac on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phemanderac

Postby Jayson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Last word should have read, "are".
It was a typo.

Spiritual: a set of neurological processes dealing with value placement, empathy, and sympathy through the associative truncation of relative identity, and which has reached a value set capable of being described as reverent to the individual, and from which existential experience and reflection is capable explicitly.
Jayson
Alaskan Gypsy

Postby Bluff » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:30 pm

Getting out of bed is not an accomplishment.
Taking a shit is not an accomplishment.
Place of birth is not an accomplishment.
Genetic inheritance is not an accomplishment.
Bluff

Postby Jayson » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:37 pm

"The greatest accomplishment that any one human can achieve is to simply wake up in the morning. Everything else is extraordinary."
-Me

;) Bluff

Jayson
Alaskan Gypsy

Postby Bluff » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:14 pm

haha...maybe you are sick if you find it an accomplishment to swing your legs from beneath a blanket!
Get well soon.

:wink:
Bluff

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 pm

It is not what you are called, but what you answer to.

Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped.

No matter how full the river, it still wants to grow.

The sun will shine on those who stand before it shines on those who kneel under them.

When the child falls the mother weeps; when the mother falls the child laughs. :lol:

African Proverbs

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 pm

"Remember that no matter how selfish, how cruel, how unfeeling you have been today, every time you take a breath, you make a flower happy."--Mort Sahl, as quoted by Lewontin (2000).
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:23 pm

The deepest sexual penetration is really but a shadow of the way in which the Universe may penetrate us if we but allow it by sitting quietly and trustingly before this Universe.
ARCTURUS RISING (me)

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality