Right And Wrong

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Right And Wrong

Postby Berkley Babes » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:23 pm

How would you define these two?

Is it as simple as majority rules?

Or ...

Is more inherent than that? How so?
Berkley Babes

Re: Right And Wrong

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:26 pm

Why the need to know?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

Nobilis Est Ira Leonis | Om Surya Devaay namah | Manus justa nardus
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …Suryaloka.. the sun

Postby Berkley Babes » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:29 pm

Um, ah . . . My mental health doctor wants me to write a paper on it and I'm looking for some type of shortcut input . . . yeah, that.
Berkley Babes

Postby Berkley Babes » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:40 pm

that was a joke for the criminally insane.
Berkley Babes

Postby surreptitious75 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:54 pm

Two points at opposite ends of the spectrum with lots of fuzz in between
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Postby Dan~ » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 pm

Berkley Babes wrote:How would you define these two?

Or ...

Best and worst, not right and wrong.
Something can be amazing, but a person can say, out of fear for example, that this great thing is evil.
Best doesn't need permission to exist.
Best is similar to strongest, or most potent in the world where in it exists.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Be ware dumbasses that think they are intellectuals.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Postby attano » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Or ...

I guess that right and wrong, like being, have multiple meanings.
One is certainly 'as majority rules', or rather a perceived common wisdom, as opinion polls are not (yet) so instantaneous.
Then, something having a harmful outcome, notably to the person who expresses the judgement, is probably inherently wrong. And yet not necessarily, 'rights' can be conflicting and, in fact, they frequently are. Greek tragedies are most often about that, the conflict of two parties that are both right. Antigone would be a good example.
«Va', va', povero untorello. Non sarai tu quello che spianti Milano.»
attano

Postby Anomaleigh » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:41 am

Right and wrong are kind of like the colors red and blue, you know them when you see them, but try explaining the difference between them to a colorblind man i.e. psychopath, it's unpossible.
Anomaleigh

Postby Prismatic567 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 am

Or ...

It a very complicated topic.
Hitler's interpretation of "right" is obvious morally "wrong" from humanity's perspective.

It is a question that is related to Morality and Ethics.

[b]Morality: Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/morality[/b]

There are two main approaches to 'Morality'. i.e.

Descriptive definitions of “morality”
    “morality” refers to the most important code of conduct put forward and accepted by any group, or even by an individual.

Normative definitions of “morality”
    Those who use “morality” normatively hold that morality is (or would be) the code that meets the following condition: all rational persons, under certain specified conditions, would endorse it.
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/morality-definition/

Any definition of “morality” in the descriptive sense will need to specify which of the codes put forward by a society or group count as moral. Even in small homogeneous societies that have no written language, distinctions are sometimes made between morality, etiquette, law, and religion. And in larger and more complex societies these distinctions are often sharply marked. So “morality” cannot be taken to refer to every code of conduct put forward by a society.

In the normative sense, “morality” refers to a code of conduct that would be accepted by anyone who meets certain intellectual and volitional conditions, almost always including the condition of being rational. That a person meets these conditions is typically expressed by saying that the person counts as a moral agent.
However, merely showing that a certain code would be accepted by any moral agent is not enough to show that the code is the moral code.
It might well be that all moral agents would also accept a code of prudence or rationality, but this would not by itself show that prudence was part of morality.

To ensure a moral code is a moral code per se, there is a need to ensured it is a Justified True Moral Belief, or moral fact that is justified from empirical evidences and philosophical reasoning with a Framework and System of Morality and Ethics.

For more details look up ThinkDr's links.
viewtopic.php?p=2766016#p2766016
https://currikicdn.s3-us-west-2.amazona ... 482dfe.pdf
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 am

Or ...

Dependent on a desired outcome, mostly.

If you want to go forward, walking backward is the wrong way to go about it. Unless you walk very far.

I wonder if anyone has ever walked around the Earth backward. He'd also have to walk over water, which is hard enough to do in forward direction.

Exciting ideas.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Arch-Native Philosophy - Sumerian Bill and Ted - The Magical Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:34 pm

Think of it this way. Robinson Crusoe on Friday.

A feral child.
The wolf mother dies, and the child bereft,

They both know .

!

Instinctively. No words.

. !go! . ~ dot

.(dot).
Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Meno_ wrote:Think of it this way. Robinson Crusoe on Friday.

A feral child.

They both know .

(!!! !! !!! ! gogogog. ! !!! !! !!!)

Instinctively. No words.

. !go! . ~ dot

.(dot).

??
Last edited by Meno_ on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Meno_ wrote:

A feral child.

They both know .

(!!! !! !!! ! gogogog. ! !!! !! !!!)

Instinctively. No words.

. !go! . ~ dot

.(dot).

go dot- a guy comes up to a waiter and asks him what he is waiting for.

he says my dinner , its my day off.
Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Exactly.
- Thucydides
Arch-Native Philosophy - Sumerian Bill and Ted - The Magical Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm

Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby thinkdr » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 am

The Unified Theory of Ethics - the new paradigm for ethical theory and practice - defines them contextually this way:

IT is right to be good and to do good.

It is wrong to be bad and to do bad.

And, of course, earlier it defines "good" and "bad." R.S. Hartman gets the credit for tthis breakrhrough: He defined good, in context, as:
x is a good C if and only if x is a C, Cs are a,b,c,d, etc. and x is a; x is b; x is c, xis d, etc. C here is the concept under which x falls.(i.e., x is a class member pf C

In plain English, an item is good if it has everything it is supposed to have under the concept you put on it. "The name sets the norm." A person is good if he or she has the features of what you would describe as a good character. All this is spelled out in more detail in the papers in the signature below, to which links are offered.

Someone, or something -- a specific instance or example of a concept -- is bad if more than half the properties of its concept are missing as an empirical fact.

A good "nag"is a bad horse. A good "murdere"r is a bad person. The name sets the norm.

Questions? Comments?

I
:idea: For further reading and insight into the topics of Ethics check out these links, and thereby add to your reading enjoyment

THE STRUCTURE OF ETHICS
[NEW] :!:
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/TH ... ETHICS.pdf

THE BREAKTHROUGH - We Can Get Along After All (2018)
http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BREAKT ... %20all.pdf

LIVING WELL: how ethics helps us flourish
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/LI ... ourish.pdf

BASIC ETHICS: a systematic approach
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BASIC%20ETHICS.pdf

ETHICAL ADVENTURES http://wadeharvey.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ETHICAL%20ADVENTURES.pdf

When you search Bing for the following pdf selection you may wish to start with page 20 in order to skip the technicalities:
Marvin C. Katz - ETHICS: A College Course
thinkdr
Thinker

Postby Berkley Babes » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:23 am

thinkdr wrote:

The Unified Theory of Ethics - the new paradigm for ethical theory and practice - defines them contextually this way:

And, of course, earlier it defines "good" and "bad." R.S. Hartman gets the credit for tthis breakrhrough: He defined good, in context, as:
x is a good C if and only if x is a C, Cs are a,b,c,d, etc. and x is a; x is b; x is c, xis d, etc. C here is the concept under which x falls.(i.e., x is a class member pf C

In plain English, an item is good if it has everything it is supposed to have under the concept you put on it. "The name sets the norm." A person is good if he or she has the features of what you would describe as a good character. All this is spelled out in more detail in the papers in the signature below, to which links are offered.

Someone, or something -- a specific instance or example of a concept -- is bad if more than half the properties of its concept are missing as an empirical fact.

A good "nag"is a bad horse. A good "murdere"r is a bad person. The name sets the norm.

Questions? Comments?

I

Well, oxygen or quality air is Good since I need it to breathe. But let's say in some version of an afterlife I no longer needed to breathe. And I find that not needing to breathe is better than any type of air from my previous life. Was the air really that Good?

Thanks for your answer, but I have to counter, names are provisional.
Berkley Babes

Postby thinkdr » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 pm

Berkley Babes wrote:
thinkdr wrote:

A good "nag"is a bad horse. A good "murderer" is a bad person. The name sets the norm.

Questions? Comments?

I

Well, oxygen or quality air is Good since I need it to breathe. But let's say in some version of an afterlife I no longer needed to breathe. And I find that not needing to breathe is better than any type of air from my previous life. Was the air really that Good?

Thanks for your answer, but I have to counter, names are provisional.[/quote
You ask: "Was the air rally that Good"

Ill answer that one during your afterlife.

Right now any response I give would be too hypothetical.

I might add that I interpreted your question given in the original post as moral right and moral wrong. I took it in the ethical sense. There is, of course, other meanings for those words. Right could mean correct; wrong could mean incorrect. Right could mean: a direction or side pf one's body, as opposed to the left side of one's body. And 'wrong' could mean: false. Etc.

:arrow: :arrow: If you meant ethical right and wrong, what is your evaluation of my answer:

It is right to be good and to do good.

And it is wrong not to.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
:idea: For further reading and insight into the topics of Ethics check out these links, and thereby add to your reading enjoyment

THE STRUCTURE OF ETHICS
[NEW] :!:
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/TH ... ETHICS.pdf

THE BREAKTHROUGH - We Can Get Along After All (2018)
http://myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BREAKT ... %20all.pdf

LIVING WELL: how ethics helps us flourish
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/LI ... ourish.pdf

BASIC ETHICS: a systematic approach
http://www.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/BASIC%20ETHICS.pdf

ETHICAL ADVENTURES http://wadeharvey.myqol.com/wadeharvey/PDFs/ETHICAL%20ADVENTURES.pdf

When you search Bing for the following pdf selection you may wish to start with page 20 in order to skip the technicalities:
Marvin C. Katz - ETHICS: A College Course
thinkdr
Thinker

Postby Berkley Babes » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:22 pm

I'll wait until the afterlife then.
Berkley Babes

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:08 pm

Berkley Babes wrote:Um, ah . . . My mental health doctor wants me to write a paper on it and I'm looking for some type of shortcut input . . . yeah, that.

Rta
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

MagsJ

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm

MagsJ wrote:Rta

I see you are advancing.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:48 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Rta

I see you are advancing.

I was born of it and in it.. I’m quite the Deva, you know. But then there’s also the Western version of it, to which I also belong..

The concept is beyond religion.. it is irreligious.. it is born from people, not things.

MagsJ

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:12 pm

It is what my self-valuing Logick enacts as a philosophical method.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:12 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:It is what my self-valuing Logick enacts as a philosophical method.

I think that self-valuing is innate or no, as is evident in human nature and interactions.. I don’t interact with others much.. I’ve met 100s of 1000s, I haven’t met 100s of 1000s.. what am I? a dichotomy of terms.

About my life! :|

MagsJ

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:13 pm

FC wrote:If you want to go forward, walking backward is the wrong way to go about it. Unless you walk very far.

Case closed.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Return to Philosophy