Determinism

The Free Will of Ebenezer Scrooge
Richard Kamber considers the possibility of changing destiny.

And isn’t this the number one reason why most of us will scoff at the very idea that is actually possible? Going back to this:

“A few minutes into the expansion, when the temperature was about a billion kelvin and the density of matter in the universe was comparable to the current density of Earth’s atmosphere, neutrons combined with protons to form the universe’s deuterium and helium nuclei in a process called Big Bang nucleosynthesis.”

That here I am typing these words and here you are reading them derived wholly from this?!

There is no way I am even remotely able to wrap my own “I” around it. There’s just got to be more. From a God, the God to one or another account of pantheism. Buddhism perhaps? Mindless matter evolving into mindful matter evolving into self conscious mindful matter is the whole ball of wax. Either we come to understand this or we just go to the grave like all those billions before us taking our own, by comparison, puny leap to that which works for us in our head.

Or, rather, my own puny leap. I don’t have the capacity to “think” myself into the sort of intellectual leap that there folks are: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=195793

Can hard determinism account for a thread such as this too? :wink:

Yep, that’s what it asks us to believe alright. On the other hand, my point is always to focus instead on what appears to me to be that enormous gap between what any of us think we know about all this and all that would need to be known about existence itself to make that anything less than a stab – a stumble – in the dark.

In a strange way, however, one can take comfort in that. I’m just not entirely sure why.

Ambiguous said,

“It asks us to believe that if time could be rolled back even to one second after the Big Bang, then history would unfold in exactly the same way, and all these events would occur again without the slightest variation. There can be no wiggle room in the iron block universe as it rolls forward. This is a lot to ask us to believe, and is far too speculative to be taken on faith. As far as we now know, it is just as likely that the past and present could have turned out differently than they did, and that the future that lies before” us is alterable in important respects.

That’s just t point of regress, at that cosmic scale the most convincing argument is that the difference has become totally imperceptible , even by god.

Another big bang would have to occur for that god to realize the ability to refresh an absolutely enlightened creation, where Adam and Eve could not care one way or another.

That is, if multiple big bangs are conceivable.

The more likely scenario is an ever fed back. moebius curvature

That type of representation may help to reinforce a more faithful. speculation.

“People have inferred that time began then, but there really wasn’t any reason for that inference,” said Neil Turok, a theoretical physicist at the University of Cambridge, “What we are proposing is very radical. It’s saying there was time before the big bang.”

Under his theory, published today in the journal Science with Paul Steinhardt at Princeton University in New Jersey, the universe must be at least a trillion years old with many big bangs happening before our own. With each bang, the theory predicts that matter keeps on expanding and dissipating into infinite space before another horrendous blast of radiation and matter replenishes it. “I think it is much more likely to be far older than a trillion years though,” said Prof Turok. “There doesn’t have to be a beginning of time. According to our theory, the universe may be infinitely old and infinitely large.”

Or:

"The möbius strip with one twist and pinched in the middle looks like the symbol for infinity. Some believe that our universe is actualized as a möbius strip with a finite number of twists of the vibrating strings in space. It is finite in that by going forward it transverses time and space, turning in a warped circle as it experiences its own starting point. It recurs over and over again, perhaps eternally.

The universe came from nothing; the nothing that formed the being and existence of the universe is the Infinite. That this has to be so is inescapable. People have long argued about first causes, but nothingness had to come into existence. There is no other logical answer. Infinity is needed to have the Finite. A solitary, non-dual Infinity precedes the yin and yang of existence itself.

The nothing that is beyond the boundary of our universe is Infinity. It both exits and does not exist simultaneously. It has never been actualized because it has no dimension. Nothingness has everything to do with being and existence because everything is made manifest through nothingness. Nothingness is not temporal. It is non-dimensional. The closest we can get to it is to know that it is not a thing at all, but ‘NoThing’.

Nothing actually does exist and it has always been that way.

The duality of being disappears in the infinity of nothingness. When we realize that nothing really exists, this is not the height of nihilistic thought, but a universal condition that implores understanding. The sentence itself implies that nothing does exist, but that nothing is neither material nor spacial nor a part of time. This discovery does not negate the chemical composition of matter in our actual world, but helps to further refine its essence. That nothing exists does not mean that the world is an illusion or organic chemistry cannot help us lead better lives. It means that the world developed from nothing and exists despite its ghostly origin. No matter how you try to rationalize it away, the world had to come from nothing at all because that is the supreme and only reality. Within time, space is filled with virtual energy, not nothingness. We can even tap this source for power and we will probably draw most of our power usage from that source in the future."

Now which one?

The Free Will of Ebenezer Scrooge
Richard Kamber considers the possibility of changing destiny.

Why does this seem to make sense to so many others?

Consider:

If the words that I am now typing reflect something that I made happen because all of what I make happen is wholly in sync with the laws of matter, how is not why I chose to make it happen not in turn merely another manifestation of determinism? What on earth does it mean to speak of values as the embodiment of aspirations precipitating the act of typing these words “intentionally and deliberately” really encompass if I was never able to not type them?

Again, to me this is basically just an intellectual contraption…unless and until neuroscientists and those who study the human brain can demonstrate that part whereby in choosing to type these words a chemical and neurological sequence unfolds in my brain such that they are able to note how I might have chosen not to type these words at all; or was freely able to type different words instead.

May be? Will be? May not be? Will not be? Is this something that has finally been pinned down once and for all? Okay, link me to the best argument backed up by the best evidence. While providing me with your own argument backed up by ample evidence able to demonstrate that somehow the act of doing so in a determined universe is separate and distinct from why you chose to act as you did and did not choose another behavior instead.

Perhaps? Yeah, that works for me.

“An Argument For Compatibilism”
Jason Streitfeld
from the Specter of Reason website

There has to be, right? But: What we don’t know is whether or not this is ever and only because the controversy itself is but another manifestation of incompatibilism. A “discussion” between those who were never able to “opine” other than as nature compels any and all brains to function. The “conflict” itself being just another aspect of the one and the only possible reality.

Thus:

Anyone here able to grasp in its entirety the genetic/memetic parameters of “I” such that this confusion gives way to that elusive metaphysical understanding of “I” embedded in the understanding of existence itself? If the framer himself is ever and always included in the frame that encompasses his existence…?

Including of course this particular effort:

What I still want to know though is this…

If compatibilism is the most reasonable option on the table, how do those here who believe this actually account for the behaviors that they choose from day to day?

Were they able to have chosen different behaviors? Could/would the consequences of those behaviors have been otherwise?

More specifically: Tonight Donald Trump is holding a campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Given that compatibilism best explains human interactions, how would one describe this event before, during and after it happens. How is your own reaction accounted for given a belief in compatibilism?

The sun let the bad man see things and he used this sun light to see a man then he shot him and took his money.

Therefor the sun is partially responsible for murder.

This is an example of an error in sequencial assignments.

I believe Faust tried to prove my example,
but he did it in a very different way than me.

A mechanistic universe doesn’t only equate to linear causation.

Also us being locked in very short amounts of [life]time, considering the millions of years things have been happening,
castrates the perspectives on what is really going on.

iambiguous probably sees the potential for disagreement, and applies that to the idea that things can’t be known.
Facts were abstracted to the point of no return.
It’s like jumping down a wide hole,
instead of just looking down the hole at a safe distance.

Well, let’s just say that with any luck, you were never able to not post this and I was never able to not read it.

Otherwise, I might actually possess the freedom to make sense of it.

You know, given a particular context. :wink:

So, you are willing to talk to me?

I wrote in my own writings, that good birth is based on luck. We don’t control who we are born as. We don’t say : “I want to be human.”
Also i agree with muslim explanation of divine destiny.
If you are rich, don’t get egotistical about it and loose humility. It didn’t happen because of you.
if you are poor, try not to feel dispare, you didn’t do something wrong and are not being punished.
I was lucky in some ways.
The next step after luck, is realizing nobility.
Lucky beings should share their excess. They will have an excess.
They share it to invest in the world.
Nobility is the step needed before human augmentation will end well.
Without nobility, technology destroys itself.

So, first luck, then nobility, then transcendence.

Also we should not hate sinners, for they are unlucky.
And being ill is a kind of punishment/hell on its own.

More to the point [on this thread]: do I really have a choice?

And, if I do, then, in regard to this…

…I would ask you to demonstrate why/how all rational men and women are obligated to think the same.

Then in regard to a particular context — the Trump campaign rally noted above? — I would ask you to explore the extent to which our individual reactions are rooted in dasein or in the most optimal assessment that serious philosophers are able to provide.

How, in your autonomous view, is luck, nobility and transcendence applicable to the Trump rally?

They are not obligated to think the same.
However, the truth is always true. And some truths are very obvious, too.
So in that way, a large percent of a group can potentially agree on certain things.

Trump is a part of a failing system.
He was lucky enough to get rich, but then he skipped in part the nobility part, so he doesn’t want to improve the basis of humanity : future genetic engineering.
It only works when it is in the right hands.

His hands are pretty well tied, he has only been hired for comic effect, to the hope less chagrin of most everybody else.

So compatibility has never connected the dots.

But in retrospect everything changes and comatibality can reverse the truth-in truth, by simply exchanging the necessary into the contingent possibility: thereby reversing the naturalistic fallacy

When I think about free will, I can only see cause and effect. If I don’t think about free will, I can only see choices to be made.

Everything changes under the microscope, when examined.

So, for me, it’s both. When I ask myself how this could be, my only answer is God. God handles how.

So, in a world where human autonomy is presumed to exist, all you have to do is to insist that what you note above is true. Why? Because it is “the truth”. Obviously?

That demonstrating Trump held a rally in Tulsa last night is interchangeable with demonstrating that the points raised in the speech are just another example of the truth always being true?

Again, assuming human autonomy, who gets to decide what success and failure are with regard to human social, political and economic interactions? Who gets decide when the truth is always true when those interactions result in fierce conflicts regarding good and bad behavior? How are such things as “nobility” and being in “the right hands” not basically just political prejudices rooted in dasein?

Then we move on to demonstrating that all of this unfolds in a unverse in which free will is compatible with determinism.

That’s original.

Exactly: that scintilla of evidence nowadays they call miracles.

Some things are obvious.
Success and failure are usually obvious things.

Well, they are obvious either because we can freely think ourselves into believing this or because this discussion itself is merely a necessary manifestation of a wholly determined universe.

Same with success or failure.

But, given human autonomy, one person’s material success can be seen by others as a moral failure.

Then what? Then what is “obvious”, right?

For example, to you.

That then seen by me to be the embodiment of dasein.

Though by no means obviously. Let alone necessarily.

Let’s apply this to the world as we know it, then.

Would humanity be better off if everyone shared your style of thinking?

Obvious as in : easy to sense. Like the sun. It is easy to sense.

But there are people who are senseless, too.

Here we clearly approach philosophy differently. My own understanding of the serious philosopher is of someone intent on understanding human interactions not in terms of what makes them “better off” but the extent to which the arguments they pose in grappling with the human condition reflect a more or less reasonable assessment.

My own assessment revolves around the points I raise in my signature threads — given some measure of human volition. They are either more or less reasonable than the assessments of those who do in fact feel better off in believing what they do.

All we can then do is to explore each other’s assumptions by examining them in particular contexts. And, given the nature of this thread, by assuming that the assessments are derived autonomously, of our own free will.

What on earth does this have to do with the point I raise about compatibilism above? Let’s get back to that.

Jason Streitfeld

On the contrary, what makes this discussion and debate particularly tricky is that we must first start out with the assumption that any working definition we arrive at is one in which we were free to have chosen another one instead. Right from the beginning we are stuck. So, compelled or not, here we go.

For example:

What if this philosophically respectable way of defining it is the only possible way that one ever could have defined it? And then around and around we – everyone – goes.

Then the part that peacegirl seemed to focus in on: “…the extent that a person has free will is the extent to which they are morally responsible for their actions, where moral responsibility is predicated on their ability to make choices.”

The fact that, unlike rocks and other mindless matter, we actually do choose. And, thus, moral responsibility rests entirely on that. Like, say, intuitions themselves are something that rocks don’t have and so the matter comprising minds/brains that produce them is qualitatively different from all other matter.

And it surely is that. But if all the consequences/effects that our minds/brains precipitate is also wholly in sync with – caused by – the laws of matter that govern rocks, how is responsibility itself not just another manifestation of the only possible reality?

I’m always willing to acknowledge that I’m not thinking this through correctly, if the compatibilists are willing to acknowledge that they were only ever able to think it through as they do.

Then what?

I’m sorry, but given the manner in which I construe a wholly determined universe, human “rationality” produces a man or a woman that like the rock unfolds into the only possible future. Here only the existence of a God, the God allows me to imagine an entity able to create material objects – us – in possession of whatever “free will” actually is. And even here there’s the problem [for me] of those who insist that their own God is omniscient. How is that squared with human autonomy?

Jason Streitfeld

Think about this.

You argue that the “very notion of free will is incoherent” while convinced that nothing can really be incoherent if it can only ever be what it must be in accordance with the immutable laws of physics.

It’s just another example of how language becomes entangled in itself when it is taken this far out on the metaphysical limb.

Should say? Shouldn’t say? See the mind-boggling problem here once you conclude that everything you say or don’t say is compelled by nature?

Thus…

Indeed, the best way to go about exploring all of this is entirely up in the stratosphere of intellectual abstractions. That way, having or not have free will, or moral responsibility being compatible or not compatible with determinism, can be assessed ever and always academically in a “world of words”.

Still, how can we yank the words down to earth when we have no way of knowing for certain that the yank itself could ever have been other than what it must be?

Of course this exasperates some considerably more than others. On the other hand, how could it have been otherwise?

And around and around we go.