Wholeness

I don’t think Fixed Cross was advising you to bow out. One person’s gobbledygook is another’s phenomenological experience. It’s not meaningless to the experiencer. From the standpoint of the inquirer, it’s a matter of finding out what others mean.

Here’s a footnote to Jung’s Red Book by Jung scholar Sonu Shamdasani. It’s about the literary history of divine madness. I figure if anyone is still following this thread at this point, they might be interested in this subject. Already acquainted with it through portals 1, 2, and 3, I discovered a rich vein of divine madness about a year-and-a-half ago through portal number 4.

The principle use of divine madness as described above, is to produce powerful conscious psychic images. Unless there is a modicum of “madness” these images may be repressed by the ego defenses. Typically, as we see often in philosophical dialogue, they are covered over, obfuscated by abstract language. What passes for reason is too often rationalization, intellectualization which disguises motivation. Language may veil the images that would reveal the deep Self. It’s a challenge to turn it around.

Balance is the key to wholeness.

“Each of us is a Spark related to our Source through a thread of light. It is part of the Spark which eventually will be the path through which the Spark will travel back to its Source. That is why we are told that man is the path itself. The Spark has different names on its path of development. For example, when it is really captured in the physical body and totally identified with it, we call it the “sleeping spark,” or the reflection. When it awakens and wants to be aware of its powers and destination, we call it the “pilgrim.” When it arrives on the mental plane and has highly organized the three bodies we call it a “personality.” When it further advances and harmonizes all its activities in the light of the Inner Guide, we call it the unfolding human soul. When it releases the Solar Angel and stands on its own, we call it a Soul or an Arhat. When it advances to higher realms, we call it the Spiritual Triad, then the Self or the Monad or the Divine Spark.”
Torkom Saraydarian, Dynamics of the Soul

When this “spark” travels its path, a human being is manifested. Does this make sense to anyone?

This seems to make sense to me, and at the time when I was steeped in Christianity, I did appear quite mad to many people. Today I have noticed that I have sought safety on solid ground, but I have forfeited something profound by doing that. I dared to believe Christ and proposed to all and sundry that the time is ripe to “just do it.” Where I slipped was where had underestimated my own strength and resoluteness.

So-called “divine madness” seems to be related to if not synonymous with what Tillich describes as “ecstasy”:

Wholeness corresponds to what Jaspers refers to as the Encompassing:

For us, being remains open. On all sides it draws us into the unlimited. Over and over again it is always causing some new determinate being to confront us. Such is the course of our progressing knowledge. By reflecting upon that course we ask about being itself, which always seems to recede from us, in the very manifestation of all the appearances we encounter. This being we call the encompassing. But the encompassing is not the horizon of our knowledge at any particular moment. Rather, it is the source from which all new horizons emerge, without itself ever being visible even as a horizon. The encompassing always merely announces itself— in present objects and within the horizons—but it never becomes an object. Never appearing to us itself, it is that wherein everything else appears. It is also that due to which all things not merely are what they immediately seem to be, but remain transparent.

Jaspers, Karl. Philosophy of Existence (Works in Continental Philosophy) (pp. 17-18). University of Pennsylvania Press, Inc… Kindle Edition.

Not surprisingly, the way of individuation is individual. The first lesson I get from Jung is to pay attention to the imagery of my own mind whereas the spirit of the age directs our attention toward anything and everything else. One’s mental imagery is the key to one’s own soul.

Pertinent to today is “solitude makes people hostile and venomous.” We see that with the anti-lock-downers. We can clearly see the results of solitude, and quarantine fatigue.

The voices in our heads tend to get louder when we are isolated. By practicing compassion toward our self and others during this time, we can get in touch with what’s good about ourselves.

According to Jung, Christ is the still living myth of our culture who regardless of his historical existence embodies the myths of a divine primordial man the mystic Adam. Christ occupies the center of the Christian mandala, a symbol of wholeness.
Christ is in us and we in him. Christ exemplifies the archetype of the self. The Antichrist, then, corresponds to the shadow of the self–the dark half of the human totality.

In response to this, one commentator said “Jesus is at the right hand of God not at the center”, to which I replied “God is omnipresent so the right hand of God is everywhere.”

archive.org/stream/collectedwor … u_djvu.txt

stottilien.com/2013/01/15/c-g-j … r-abraxas/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katabasis

The trip to the underworld is a mytheme of comparative mythology found in a diverse number of religions from around the world. The hero or upper-world deity journeys to the underworld or to the land of the dead and returns, often with a quest-object or a loved one, or with heightened knowledge. The ability to enter the realm of the dead while still alive, and to return, is a proof of the classical hero’s exceptional status as more than mortal. A deity who returns from the underworld demonstrates eschatological themes such as the cyclical nature of time and existence, or the defeat of death and the possibility of immortality. [Wikipedia]
Mythological characters who make visits to the underworld include[edit]

The return of Persephone, by Frederic Leighton (1891)
Mesopotamian mythology
Enkidu, in the Sumerian text Gilgamesh, Enkidu, and the Netherworld and in the final tablet of the Standard Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh
Inanna/Ishtar, in an attempt to overthrow her sister, Ereshkigal, queen of the netherworld
Dumuzid/Tammuz is cast into the netherworld as a substitute for his consort Inanna/Ishtar
Geshtinanna volunteers to spend half the year in the netherworld as a substitute for her brother Dumuzid
Nergal, to make amends for disrespecting Ereshkigal
Ancient Egyptian mythology
Osiris (see also Book of the Dead)
The Magician Meryre in Papyrus Vandier (Posener, 1985)
Greek mythology and Roman mythology
Adonis is mourned and then recovered by his consort Aphrodite
The god Dionysus, to rescue Semele from Hades,[40] and again in his role as patron of the theater
Heracles during his 12th labor, on which occasion he also rescued Theseus
Heracles, to rescue Alcestis from Hades
Hermes, to rescue Persephone from Hades
Orpheus, to rescue Eurydice from Hades
Persephone and Demeter
Psyche
Odysseus
Aeneas, to speak to his father in the Aeneid
Theseus and Pirithous try to abduct Persephone; they fail, and only Theseus is rescued by Heracles

Devadatta pulled into Avici after various transgressions against the Buddha
Christianity
Jesus, during the Harrowing of Hell
Jesus in the Pistis Sophia
Norse religion and Finnish mythology
Odin
Baldr
Hermóðr
Helreið Brynhildar
Lemminkäinen’s rescue from Tuonela by his mother
Welsh mythology

Angel showing Hell to Yudhisthira
Pwyll’s descent into Annwn in the Welsh Mabinogion
Preiddeu Annwfn, King Arthur’s expedition to Annwfn as recounted in the Book of Taliesin
Buddhism
Avalokiteśvara’s descent into a Hell-like region after taking on the bad karma of her executioner in pity
Kṣitigarbha
Phra Malai, a monk who travels to Hell to teach its denizens
Several episodes of people, including Devadatta, who are dragged alive into hell after committing misdeeds against the Buddha
Other
Japanese mythology: Izanagi and Izanami in Yomi
Maya mythology: the Maya Hero Twins
Vedic religion: Ushas (dawn) is liberated from the Vala by Indra
Hinduism: Emperor Yudhishthira descends into Naraka
Ohlone mythology (Native American): Kaknu fights Body of Stone
Yoruba religion: Obatala, the dying-and-rising god of Ifẹ̀, the Yoruba cultural centre
Religion of the Mongols: King Gesar launches an invasion into the realm of Erlik to save soul of his mother
In Wicca and several neo-Pagan faiths, there is a story of how the Goddess descends into the Underworld to learn the mystery of death. [Wikipedia]

Methinks you’re speaking of whole people. Those not whole, go crazy over seclusion, don military garb, assault rifles and more, and storm state capitals to stop the lockdowns.

Better the right hand. The left hand back then was used to wipe with. Who would want to sit on the stinky side of God?

BTW … that’s why we shake with the right hand.

It seems you wish to focus only on the dark side of the circle. Why do you suppose that is?

Because I’m paying attention. Are your suggesting something else? Lay some Jung on me.

If that were all that is going on I suppose that would be an adequate answer. But it isn’t. What we pay attention to is determined by our interests. Why among the infinite number of things you could focus on, are you focused on some demonstrators at the state capitol who are protesting against stay-at-home orders?

I understand. You are right. I’m a news hound. So I see that there are hundreds, if not thousands, millions, possibly billions, of examples of people following their darker natures and instincts : not just the anti-lock-downers. And Covid is bringing them to the surface. Jung pointed it out. “Solitude makes people hostile and venomous.” As a result of home isolation – otherwise, solitude – people are going Coronavirus crazy.

And isn’t that the point, or intention, of this thread? The development of wholeness, to address our higher and better natures and instincts?

“the threat to one’s inmost self from dragons and serpents points to the danger of the newly acquired consciousness being swallowed up again by the instinctive soul, the unconscious” (“On the psychology of the child archetype,” CW 9,1, §282).
~~ Jung, C. G… The Red Book: A Reader’s Edition (Philemon) (p. 204). W. W. Norton & Company. Kindle Edition.