The Connectome and Spirituality

I have mentioned the Connectome often.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsA2ibE6ut0[/youtube]

When the Connectome is sufficiently advance [not necessary fully completed], humanity will be able to discover via the neural connections why theists believe in a God as “real” when actually the idea of a God is an illusion.

It is intuition, here, not scientific knowledge, for example, that is predicting what ‘humanity will be able to discover’ when something vague (‘sufficiently advanced’).

If a theist predicted that people will know X, when Y happens at some point in the future, Prismatic would challenge the epistemology involved.

He just can’t seem to live up to his own standards nor evade is own particular kind of mechanical romanticism.

I can tell you right now. God explains certain things that we observe in the world.

That doesn’t mean the explanation is correct but it could be.

As usual you are projecting from ignorance of the subject.

It is obvious the above is based on speculation of possibilities the extrapolation is based on current trend of loads of discoveries of the relation of certain network of neurons with certain human behaviors.
At present scientists are able to trace human behaviors to certain specific parts of the brain but this is relatively crude in contrast to the exact neural pathways involved.

Therefore, logically, when the Connectome Project is sufficiently advanced, scientists will be able to track whatever human behavior, e.g. the belief in God to certain neural pathways. In this case, scientists will be able to trace [via neural activities] the primary root cause of a belief in God by theists or the invocation of a God by those who are mentally ill, brain damage, drug/hallucinogen takers, etc.

Whatever the claim by theists or non-theists, provide the justifications and evidences for the possibilities of whatever is speculated or theorized.

Where is your justifications, arguments and evidences for the above speculation of the above possibility?

Point is I have already demonstrated the idea of God as real is moot, i.e. a non-starter.
Therefore you have to counter the above before you can say any thing real about an entity-God doing this or that.

Why have you categorised spirituality, along with theism?

I see the two as distinctly different entities, as one can be spiritual without being the slightest bit religious…

Well, that is possible but it is also Quite possible that Science may disocver how human brain gets stupid ideas like one you always try to propagate.

Is it also not possible! What do you think?

with love
Sanjay

This is so true yet the two are often treated as being either compatible or identical
This is the reason why I do not use the word myself because of this false conflation

Spiritual relates to the fundamental character or soul [ another word with religious baggage ] of a person
And that can mean religious but only if they are actually a theist because atheists can be spiritual as well

Best eloquent slur of the week goes to…

Indeed… and that is where the issue of relating spirituality with religion comes in.

Why have you done so OP?

The soul is a possibility of a being.

As the Buddha states, “what you think, you will become”

The soul is not an objective law of reality. But! It can become YOUR reality!

My mentioned of ‘spirituality’ in the OP is in the very loose and general sense.

My personal preference for the term ‘spirituality’ is anti-theism and is represented by more of promoting greater optimal well-being for the individual via wisdom and rational approaches. As such, I had no intention to group theism within spirituality-proper at all.

Where the Connectome Project is able to reveal the belief in God is a necessary delusion within ignorance based on the neural explanation, it will demonstrate theism has nothing to do with I would consider strictly ‘spiritual’. Theism has more to do with primal psychology to deal with an inherent existential crisis.

When the Connectome Project has reached sufficient progress, it will be able to reveal what is ‘spiritual-proper’ i.e. that which will contribute the greater optimal well-being for the individual[s] and therefrom to humanity.

Yes, the Connectome Project will be able to track my above assertion to the neurons for higher reasoning, critical thinking and wisdom, but
why do you say ‘stupid ideas’ without justifications?

On the other hand, in the case of the theists’ brain, what is most active with the idea of a God is their primal brain and the neurons related to primal fears, etc.

Note I have provided very sound justification for my stance, God is an illusion and an impossibility to be real here;

God is an Impossibility [to be Real Empirically and Philosophically]
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=193474

If you can prove my argument is false, then I will readily accept my idea is ‘stupid’.

Spirituality-proper to me as defined above is focused on the promotion of the greater optimal well-being of the individual driven by wisdom, critical thinking, philosophy and rational approaches. Spiritual proper is without any elements of an ontological divine being.

However I have to admit there are some elements of such ‘spirituality-proper’ within theism, e.g. within the mystics of theism, but the % is very low. Many of these theistic-mystics are more into spiritual-proper, i.e. not dogmatic nor clingy to a God. They are theistic probably by traditions, customs, and heritage, not by blind beliefs.