Ecological Morality

If enough individuals change, then the system will change.

Nations are not going to change until the general population changes.

Only 11 Years Left to Prevent Irreversible Damage from Climate Change, Speakers Warn during General Assembly High-Level Meeting [at UN]

https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/ga12131.doc.htm

theguardian.com/environment … ional-poll

What struck me as noteworthy in this article is the mention of a large amount of food wasted while billions go hungry. This shows the extravagance of consumerism and the lack of care for others it generates. I do think wastes of consumerism is more of a problem than is the Malthusian scare about population exceeding the food supply. Some countries, China I believe, are already practicing ZPG.
More is the consumer’s mantra, more things, bigger and better things, etc. Fewer people can opt for more things!

I have to admit that I smoke a bowl to dull the impact of hopelessness in the face of this world. Shame shame, I feel for escaping.

With a 97% scientific consensus, that human activity is behind climate change, with little willingness to do much about it from power brokers, that could do something about it, what can I hope to do?

So daily I look out into this world, and cry. And I cry for my contribution to it. I conclude that if I really want to do my part, the best thing I could do is kill myself.

Hello!

youtube.com/watch?v=uaWA2GbcnJU

That’s pretty extreme.

Maybe there is some scope for action somewhere between doing nothing and killing yourself.

Well I burn wood for heat in the winter. So I’m spewing lots of CO2 into the atmosphere. And if I stopped this adding of CO2, I’d freeze to death, and my contribution would be discontinued.

But thanks for attempting to talk me out of killing myself. I seriously doubt I’m going to become a Popsicle. So climate change here we come. My immediate needs trumps climate change. And it’s the same for the almost 8 billion others in the world.

livescience.com/12-years-to … hange.html

Can we rely on science and technology to save us from ourselves? Religions offering other worlds is not an answer.
Is the 12 year deadline another Y2K-type scare? I don’t know. I only know that, if the prediction is true, we will have no choice but to face it together. We will have to live in a less favorable environment. There is no “planet -B” to escape to.

Aren’t we living it up today, so they can die tomorrow?

Let’s wait on how immune suppression to control population by drug inducement will allow the equitable balance to develop between natural and artificial conditions of production and cinsumption; to even the field, before jumping to hasty conclusions.
This supposed pandemic may or may not serve as a coming index to evaluate by.

What do you mean by immune suppression? Please explain.

I think it entirely possible that our immune systems have been effected not merely by ecological factors, but by biochemical agents released , accidentally, or otherwise, that invades lowered resistance, thereby causing virolous responses.

{Please see this response in the next block-sorry}

Sorry, my response was placed in the preceding block.

But to repeat: human immunity has been constrained to lower levels of resistance, some by ecological factors, and some by accidental or other means of release into the environment-of biochemical agents.

Can the coronavirus epidemic be in any way tied into global warming?

You ain’t wrong Meno… you are most definitely right.

I think I’ve talked on the topic enough here, over the years, so have nothing more to say, but only that I agree… there is nothing moral about current ecological and economical initiatives and objectives, well… not that many, at the very most.

Sure, there are some, maybe too many, that suffer from immunodeficiency disorder.

But are you saying that our collective immunity has been collectively lowered, so that our immunity can’t fight Covid 19, Sars, Mers, so forth and so on, whatever pandemic comes along next? that the problem is that we just can’t fight these viruses?

I read that Bats carry over 60 different types of coronavirus. Their immune systems must be much better than ours.

I seem to remember somewhere reading that a commune based on Huxley’s Island existed. I cannot find any evidence of that on google. Be that as it may, communal living in the USA does not have a good track record. Capitalism is too alluring to most. The idea that you are what you possess is a difficult one to counter. In other words having speaks more to a persons sense of self-worth than even being.

The spread of the coronavirus is forcing us to realize we are one.