What Is Your Understanding Of A Feminist? Are You One?

Why hasn’t the Equal Rights Amendment been adopted? After all it was passed by Congress in 1971 and ratified by 35 state legislatures. Only three more states need ratify it for its adoption. Members of Congress have reintroduced the measure every year since its defeat. This year it has been renamed the Women’s Equality Amendment. Do you think that will help? The amendment simply states “Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.” What could possibly be wrong with that in an enlightened free country like the U.S.A.?

It was defeated because it is redundant. Women are already protected under the Civil Liberties Act. :sunglasses: The laws on the books simply need to be enforced.

aspacia :sunglasses:

If you are referring to the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause, it has never been interpreted to grant equal rights on the basis of sex in the same way that the Equal Rights Amendment would. Ratified in the 19th century, the 14th Amendment wasn’t applied to sex discrimination at all until 1971. Even so, the last major Supreme Court decision on sex discrimination, regarding admission of women to Virginia Military Institute demonstrated that males hold rights and females must prove that they hold them. Why is that a good thing? The Equal Rights Amendment would end that disparity and shift the burden of proof to the alleged discriminator.

Valid claims Felix! However, I was refering to the Civil Rights Act of the 60’s. In any place of employment, one must prove that they are able to adequately perform or excel in the job. This goes for most clerical, teaching, fireperson, policeperson, construction, nurses, doctors, etc. positions. These tests are often three or more hours in length, and some require three to eight years of undergraduate and graduate studies, and 150 hours or more additional training to remain current, and renew their professional licenses.

However, I do believe that eventually technology will take the gender or sex factor out of the equation.

Smiles,

aspacia

:sunglasses:

Did I say that?
If anything physical weakness makes mental compensation a matter of survival.

I’m saying they dominate, period, for whatever reasons.
That males show a stronger ability to abstract and to revolutionize human thought and art, points to a general characteristic.

That only explains how they dominated not why they maintained this dominance.

or has the right to revolutionize human thought etc only been open to males in the past b/c of lingering survival roles. As, technology changes, women are getting in on the game more and more, that is evident in the last 100 years, and it will probably continue to climb.

Sorry, Satyr, I think I misunderstood you. You are just saying that physical difference is an indicator that there is likely mental difference as well, and I interpreted it to say that physical strength was an indicator of mental strength. Apologies. In that case, I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but I don’t think there is necessarily a difference (there are numerous physical and mental qualities in which men and women are equals), nor do we know in which direction the scales are tilted (the playing field has not been equal).
I think Mike is on to something. Women have been rapidly gaining social influence since the industrial revolution, i.e. since the necessity of physical strength was significantly reduced as a requirement for productive labor. Perhaps men maintain dominence because not enough time has elapsed to allow women to prove themselves superior.

This can be viewed as an accomplishment, as your comments apparently hit them somewhere where it stung a bit. :slight_smile:

Of course!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks kiddo,

aspacia

I don’t know if i see it so much as empowering females, as disempowering males.

In a good way, though!

Men wield too much power for their own good. Hasn’t got us very far in the past in terms of world peace!

Why not try women at the fore?

=D> =D> =D>

Oh, let me add to that.

Women are GREAT at running the household.

Think of the world as a great big household.

Therefore,

Women would be PERFECT for running the world!

:laughing: :laughing:

(just crackin’ a little joke there…)

the hand that rocks the cradle already rules the world

-Imp

There is a lot of recent intellect toward feminism, and I’ve read some. I have much agreement with The War Against Women by Marylin French. But my position for a long time lacks a lot of intellect. That is . . .

I live in the more sophisticated, fairer society of the world. I can walk down dark alleyways, and it doesn’t really bother me. My girlfriend, and many girls I know, are not so anxious. Why?

Feminism is very deeply divided at the moment over the trans issue
The question is over whether or not a trans woman is also a woman

I refuse to adopt a dogmatic position on this but if you have a cock and balls between your legs then you are a man
Yet this statement would get me labelled a transphobe when all I am doing is stating biological fact and nothing else

I have zero problem with how anyone self identifies or what pronouns they prefer but denying reality is another thing entirely
I cannot accept you are a woman when you have something other than a cunt between your legs as that makes no sense at all

I am very interested in the debate within the feminist community about this issue even though I am not a feminist or a woman or trans
The three main areas of contention are public toilets and professional sports and prisons as they all involve enforced gender segregation

There is so much hate between the two sides and unfortunately it doesnt seem there is any solution to either that or the actual problems themselves
Two binary positions that are as opposite each other as it is possible to be with no room for compromise from either side now or probably never at all

This is my take on non-binary people.

For one, they are almost 100% male transvestites (cross dressers)

Now! Here’s the deal! When a female walks down the street with a sheer top with no bra and admonishes people who look a her boobs as “perverts”, she’s fucked in the head. Even gay men will look at her boobs!

When you have a dude wearing a dress who calls anyone who notices that it’s a dude wearing a dress a “homophobe” “transphobe” or “asshole”, you’re dealing with a “narcissistic attention whore with no self worth”. Everyone with a brain is going to notice that you are a dude wearing a dress.

In the age of trump, narcissism is the law.

What’s funny to me is that they all hate trump.

This is called classic projection: you love what you see of yourself in others and hate what you see of yourself in others (if they are negative qualities).

What I hate most about these people is that “they hate labels”. Well fuck you! Labels cause this thing called ACCOUNTABILITY! If you don’t exist, you can hate everyone (or “dodge”) anyone who judges you in any way shape or form.

And that a post modernist asshole.

The other thing post modernist asshole say is that “words are just words talking about words and don’t refer to anything but words”

There are so many fucked up people on ILP, and in the world at large, and all they care about is not being judged.

And to all these people, I make a very simple statement: judge me with all of your might!

There’s only about 10 people here. We can’t all be mad.

I think there are a lot of die hard netzschians here, who come and go, and I consider them all post modernists … “words are just words only talking about words… the only thing that matters is domination… if you dominate, you can say whatever the fuck you want, not only that, you can do whatever the fuck you want”. Trump anyone? Is it any wonder why the majority of posters since trump have been trumpers!?!

I hate these fucking pricks.

Post modernists and Trump supporters are total opposites with absolutely zero similarity

I would be an equity feminist.

I believe women are entitled to the same rights before the law as men.

Luckily the question of abortion can be avoided here as men do not have the right to abortion nor do they lack that right. If men could get pregnant, I think the law about abortion, whatever it may be, should be the same for men as it would be for women.

You have “trump derangement syndrome” —- the belief that trump isn’t deranged!

Not a biological fact but a linguistic fact. That’s what the word “man” means. Indeed, it might even be a bit relaxed, since in certain circles, in order to be considered a man, you must also have other traits such as courage, physical strength, intellect and so on. But in both cases, “a cock and a pair of balls between your legs” is an absolutely necessary condition.