Images

What do I need to know to size images here at ILP after I press the image icon?

There’s no option to resize or dictate size manually. Also phpBB (the software the site runs on) has a bug where some images it can’t find the size in the image metadata, and so it fails completely.

Workaround for both is to download, resize, and attach images.

yuck!

[attachment=0]720x340 72ppi test.jpg[/attachment]
Here is a simple on-line tool.
reduceimages.com/index.php

Upload a file, choose your size, choose your format, download and finally, attach.

Did a few simple tests and it seems to work ok. You’ll need to use the tool to come up with an image smaller then 256 kb

Platform independent. But not device independent.

Note the larger binary file size of the smaller Uke photo above (214.53 kb) maps smaller than the smaller file size (79.5 kb) bellow.

Fun with image compression and file formats.

[attachment=0]Uke resized windows paint.jpg[/attachment]

You can also use a utility program included with Windows 10 called “Paint”, again the result (binary file size) must be smaller than 256 kb

File formats supported are:
jpg (Joint Photographers Group, lossy compression, image archive, variable compression)
png (Portable Network Graphic, lossy compression, presentation graphic format)
bmp (windows bitmap format, original windows icon format)
gif (graphic interchange format) 8-bit indexed color palette, supports simple animation.

[attachment=1]Grid-50-pixel-squares-1800x1024-pixels.gif[/attachment]

[attachment=0]1100x325-pixels_pixel-mapping.gif[/attachment]

Top image is a gif image with 50 pixel squares, with 1800x1024 pixels, note how much shows up in the scroll bars.

Bottom image is also a gif image created at 1100x325 pixels, note whether an image shows up in scroll bars is dependent on pixel mapping to 72 ppi based on the resolution settings of the monitor used to browse a web page. If you are using a computer monitor, mapping is dependent on the resolution settings of the monitor, if you are using a tablet or phone the mapping is dependent on the resolution of the device being used. Image sizing on the web is dependent on the device being used for display resulting in the images size on screen appearing variable.

I have a 2 monitor setup, an external display with a resolution of 1920x1080, and a laptop monitor with a resolution of 1600x900. Because the resolution of the two devices is different the pixel mapping on screen in a web browser is different. The bottom images shows up without scroll bars on the higher resolution display, and in scroll bars on the lower resolution display.

Note: it’s not the mapped image size that is the issue, it’s the binary file size of 256 kb or less. If you save images in jpg format and use high compression an image with a lot of pixels can be displayed, as compression changes the binary size of the image not it’s actual pixel dimension.

Binary size is dependent on image mode and whether an image is stored in 1-bit per pixel (B/W) 8-bit per pixel (gray scale or 256 indexed color) or 24-bit per pixel, (up to 16.7 million colors) most photographic images are stored at 24-bits per pixel. The result is the same number of pixels in an image can be dramatically different file sizes dependent on bit per pixel depth. File formats that support high compression change how an images colors are mapped to binary format, higher compression provides smaller file size but lower color quality, lower compression provides for higher binary file size and better quality.

It’s computer shit, with lots of variables that complicate things.

That’s a nice webtool thnx.

Thanks Mowk, that’s helpful.

I’m glad it’s useful and helps. In the process I did find some Php tools available for doing this sort of thing right within Php code. Copy and paste some scripts and changing a few Php.ini settings.

I searched on-line for Php image resizing and found all sorts of useful information. Much of it dependent on Php version.

code-boxx.com/resize-images-php/

The site above makes it sound easy. I’m no coder but I’ve worked some with application scripting.

if you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Or does it? :shrug:

I know there are plugins/mods for phpBB that do this, though I’m not sure they are compatible with the version we run. I can look into it.

Please do and thanks.

Any updates on the plug-in?

… no.

8-[