What are you doing? (Part 1)

Watching NFL… Houston Texans v Jacksonville Jaguars at Wembley Stadium… this version is just as watchable and entertaining as Rugby League is to Rugby Union, i.e. much better for primetime TV.

…watching the NFL show… it’s funny, and entertaining, and everything that a sports show should be.

The ex-player commentators are now living in the UK, and loving it here, and have bestowed us with a very understandable and watchable version of the game.

Sports evolve… like everything else.

Weaning myself off of all non-paleo consumables was not as difficult or traumatic as I thought it would be, so making the direct jump from some to none, was all that was necessary to make the transition… I should have known this was the only option, being an all-or-nothing type. My stomach is already thanking me for it, and is looking forward to a dinner of mixed-grill n frites-plantain, tomorrow.

Getting caught up on ILP. :astonished: :astonished:

Watching, on BBC Four:

Now: The Worlds Most Beautiful Eggs: The genius of Carl Faberge-Stephen Smith explores the extraordinary life and work of virtuoso jeweller Carl Faberge.

Next: The Art of Japanese Life-James Fox looks at the clean minimalism of the Japanese home, which has been exported around the world, from modernist architecture to lifestyle stores like Muji.

Next: Vienna: Empire, Dynasty and Dream-while the Habsburgs headed for extinction, Vienna v
Blossomed, as the theories of Freud and the sensuality of the secession artists like Klimt and Schiele ushered in the modern age.

I’ve seen the first two series before, but not the third… on Vienna.

Watching QI… all the other programmes seem dull in comparison.

Watching the showjumping, during dinner… the hi-lights from the Grand Prix, Spain.

I’ll take “Things that did not happen” for 200.

An interview in Freuds old house

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORTM63ds2og[/youtube]

And a typical Viennese day at university;

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4TvDkUCmAU[/youtube]

Just finished watching The Heist, and now watching The Name Of The Rose last episode (missed the previous 7) after coming back from our local GE celebratory-drinks, where the discourse was much and varied… fuelled by the prior talk from Historian David Starkey, on all things Europe… and hours and much drinks later, we all went merrily on our way home.

A good question… ideas without being based on/from citation?

What about thoughts borne from anxiety… no citation necessary there, to initiate the thoughts that arise in the mind, from it… so an inner monologue, with no guidance from the external, but of which we daren’t share.

Are new ideas borne from anxiety/the irrational, that we try to make sense of, to appease the mind and make it still…? Now you know what caused me to awake at 6am this morning. :neutral_face:

How very… abstract/very Le Salon… breaking through self-consciousness… to achieve…? One thing it does achieve, is that one becomes unaware/blinkered of the other’s gaze upon us… very useful at a packed discussion, when all eyes fall on you whilst listening to your input on the topic at hand. Good for the Performing Arts too, I guess… at least it’s a better option than the pretend-to-be-a-tree-blowing-in-the-wind version of yesteryear.

Just finished wrapping the last of the Christmas presents. :occasion-santa:

Only on page 6 of Mein Kampf (preface and excerpts finished) and boy, I’m exhausted. Reading at length is a mental struggle unless there’s a story that grabs me and no story has been introduced yet. Fingers crossed, there is a story.

Why do you bother reading that?
He wasn’t an intellectual.

Begin with Schopenhauer, through Nietzsche, into Spengler, Evola…Yockey, Heisman…to maintain some continuity.
Come back in a year.
Then you may branch out.
Hegel, Wittgenstein, Marx, Spinoza, Kant…if you can prevent yourself from drowsing off, Kierkegaard, Stirner.
Don’t bother with Sartre, or Foucault.

I wouldn’t begin with the Greeks. You don’t seem to have the patience.

Then, maybe Baudrillard. Jung…get into evolutionary psychology. That’s fascinating stuff.

What a dread full first book to read.
Who told you to do such a foolish thing…Joker?
Does he seem stable to you?
I know he’s a nice, kind, guy, no mater hat image he’s been cultivating on-line…but come on!
He’s adorable, I know. But is he someone to take advice from?

Trying to answer my own question about how the Jews got on Hitler’s radar? History research.

My patience might surprise you for I loved Plato but I’ve only scratched the surface of him. Disliked Nietzsche’s style, wasn’t getting much out of it.

Wendy. Darling. You’ll waste a third of your life traversing the landscapes of continental philosophy, so don’t make the same mistake I did. I suggest this: shoot for the last great synthetic philosophical systematizer we had before the birth of positivism. Herbert ‘pork chops’ Spencer. In him you’re gonna find everything everybody else already said, but in a way that is fast approaching the methods of analytical philosophy. Now I’m telling you this because if you don’t go straight to analytical philosophy, you’ll regret going to it last. And in order to fully appreciate it, you have to be able to see what it has done to everything coming before it. That’s why Spencer is a great place to start; he’s right on the fence. We call him ‘on the fence spence’.

Try Spengler. He has an organic approach that may appeal to your feminine nature.
It may even shed light on why the Jews became a nuisance, or why they’ve ben expelled over a hundred times from the nations they were never a part of.

I gave you a hint.
Think of cultures as you would an organism.

No don’t start with him. Spengler looks like an angry Bruce Willis.

If you insist on going the romantic fascist route, go with evola. Evola was totally hot in that pic of his with the suit and the monocle. The very personification of bourgeois nobility. ‘absolutely dashing’ would be an understatement.

But you can’t stay there for long because nationalism is an outdated anachronism that can never again be realizable on planet earf.

You are a philosopher of the future, Wendy. You are going forward, not backward.

I would take Brian’s advice, Nat.
He’s proven to be a reliable thinker with good judgment.

No…I’m not kiddin’…

Wendy is Natalie? if so, why am I always late to the ILP ‘heads up’ party. Da f!