Carleas: is this really how you want mods posting...?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=195246&p=2740484#p2740483

And to be clear about the context. I suggested Ecmandu not use her name in his posts, since she requested this, as part of my suggesting to him to not escalate with you guys. IOW I am not arguing that he is a mere victim here. But I don’t think a mod should be calling a member a rubbish philosopher, for example, or mocking him. Even if she is not the mod for that section.

Now it’s a little hard to get the context of the post, so perhaps I am misunderstanding. Might be worth a check.

Oh no… he thinks that I’m a rubbish Philosopher, so he’s the twit… I don’t appreciate being implicated (baited) in his thread to Carleas, just so he can call me an R victim. How did I even figure in that thread?

Such threads as this are enabling him in continuing to do that… did you not see where he said I wasn’t a (good) Philosopher? but you want to debate me…? that should be telling of his real intentions right there Karpel, or is it only I who sees this? That is looking to be the case… in you not joining up the dots, and so coming up with your own assertions… at my expense. It’s not the first time you’ve jumped to wrong assertions.

What gives with all that?

And no, my asking him to not mention me in his posts was not initiated by you. My mention had nothing to do with the topic, and was simply plonked into the middle of the OP… so baiting. What is your intention in creating these (enabling) threads?

Why not just use the report function? or are such threads as these ‘da new trend’…?

OK, so you’ve called him a twit, and here more clearly.

yes, I noticed that, and as I said ‘I suggested in that thread he not mention your name, as you requested.’

I missed that part. But what he does and what a moderator do can both be wrong, and I would hold a moderator to a higher standard.

Did you see how carefully I worded it to Carleas? That it was hard to get the context ‘so perhaps I am misunderstanding’?. And in this case you called him a twit and ‘this guy’s too funny’', iow mocking him in the third person to another member. I did not write to Carleas and say that Mags is being worse than Ecmandu or that her irritation with him is not justified. I am specifically writing about a moderator’s post. It’s not me picking the bad guy. I mean, jeez, I suggested he leave you alone, not escalate with you or Carleas and that his argument justifying it was not logical. If I missed some other thing he said to you is not really relevant, because my point to Carleas is not Mags is acting less well her than Ecmandu. That kind of comparison is irrelevant to my issue of what a moderator does and the post I thought went over the line.

I didn’t say it was initiated by you. You requested it and I referred to your doing this and suggested he simply do as you ask, that it was a consent violation he could avoid. His response to you was that we cannot avoid consent violation. Perhaps in some general sense this is true, but it was disingenous of him to say this because in this instance he could easily have avoided it.

You’re a moderator. I think that should be an open discussion. Carleas can instruct me to use the report function for moderators and I’ll do as he suggests. Notice that you are complaining about Ecmandu above. In the thread in question, I asked suggested to him to not escalate with you or Carleas and to grant your request not to be mentioned. I did not take his side against you at all.

I think it’s poor mod behavior to chattily inlude and insult and mocking of a member - regardless of what the member is doing. Here you tell me what he did, despite the fact that that my participation there was in support of your request - and I think this shows a misunderstanding of what a moderator is about. I don’t think it should be ‘he did X so that justified my insulting and mocking him.’

But, hey, it’s Carleas who decides. And if he tells me to only report moderators directly to him, well I’ll do that.

If you have a response, I’ll read it, but I won’t post any more here. Carleas has the information and he’ll do what he sees fit.

I called the guy a twit…

I found him too funny…

Hardly bad (Moderator) behaviour.

Consent violation is not ok when it suits him, and ok when it suits him… but I’m sure you’ve gathered that? which makes for a disingenuous position for him to start an argument from… do you get that? ergo… this allows him to mention (bait) whomever he wants to, with no regard for their want to not be mentioned in an obvious baiting attempt.

I am not irritated by him in the slightest… please do not associate me with feelings that I do not have regarding this matter… just as he is associating everyone with being R’d/a R’ist - this was openly debated, and the guy then intentionally started ranting about it… because no-one reacted negatively to his claims, like he wanted us to.

And now he’s lieing… that everyone’s afraid to debate him on the topic, when it was debated by most of us here with him, for weeks.

This ongoing situation is not a good look for the boards… why does everyone think it’s solely about me? I’m an Objectivist, so this matter is not from a place of subjectivity… I’m bigger than that.

Yeah, it kind of is bad moderator behavior. It’s bad user behavior. You’re just directly insulting him. I’m not sure what I’m missing that makes this some shade of grey.

Mentioning, even when characterized as baiting, is not against the rules. Even when someone says they don’t want to be mentioned, it’s just not a tenable policy in a discussion forum. It’s polite to leave people out of discussions they don’t want to be a part of, and I’ve told Ecmandu that he should leave you out of his posts. But if he doesn’t, even if it irks you, it isn’t against the rules.

History and Etymology for twit
Verb
Middle English atwiten to reproach, from Old English ætwītan, from æt at + wītan to reproach; akin to Old High German wīzan to punish, Old English witan to know”

I guess anything’s insulting, if we want it to be… in the UK it’s quite common for us to say “Im such a twit” when we do something silly, so we do not hold our own selves beyond reproach… a self-correcting tool, if you will.

I added to my previous post btw…

Yes, in retrospect it’s clear from context that you used the word ‘twit’ not with its modern derogatory meaning, but rather with the meaning of Old English ætwītan. “I called the guy a [to reproach]…”

Sorry… I keep adding to my posts…

It’s quite common for me to say “I’m such a fucking moron”, but it would still be an insult for me to call someone else a fucking moron.

I think intention gets lost in transatlantic translation… it would seem that this is why I am being perceived as harsh or rude or etc., because of the different perceptions of the use of words and phrases.

UK English is still very Germanic-based, whereas I’m guessing that American English has new or revised roots of etymology? This explains a lot, and why those such as Guide and other members of European persuasion don’t go down so well on here. This happened years back, when a flood of Brits left the site, but I’m surprised that it is still happening now. :-k

…I didn’t call him a fucking moron… the thought of doing that never crossed my mind.

…calling someone a twit is saying that they are not beyond reproach… it is not a big insult here, but it seems to be ‘over there’… and herein the problem lies, so I’m being far from erratic… period!

well, hell bells, I’ll say it…

Ecmandu is a fucking idiot…

why anybody reads him is beyond me… he has admitted
being a former mental patient and his writing show that
he never really recovered…

I for one, never read him and I would suggest people don’t read him…

to call him a twit is to insult twits… anyway, if any of you feel the need to ban me,
go for it… I know people hate honesty and especially on a web site, but seriously
people… grow a pair…when people need to be called out…do so…
and Ecmandu needs to be called out in a big way…

Kropotkin

MagsJ,

Language evolves. Deal with it.

Twit means idiot in America, etyomology means nothing.

Here’s the deal:

While your “laughing your ass off”, realize, that YOU threatened to ban me IF I debate you ever again.

That’s moderator abuse. I can EASILY win that debate!

I called you a troll moderator and I stick to it.

You’ve become power hungry and not reason hungry.

Now, look at what you’ve become …

Even if you reply to me, I’m not allowed to use your name… Are you fucking kidding me???

MagsJ … you are the worst sort of power monger. It’s gone to your head.

Let’s look at Karpel for a moment…

Nobody wants their consent violated. If all truths are necessarily objective because it’s true for all subjective beings … then it’s objective … Karpel hates objectivity.

He’s evencoming at you in an objective way by making this thread, much to his chagrin…

So we have a stated subjectivist appealing to objectivity, and we have a women who bans debaters of her.

Do you see the absurdity ?!?!

You didn’t win the debate because you stated that you’d ban me if I did debate!!!

That’s abuse of moderator power …

I would crush you in that debate. Ecmandu

Ecmandu,

You really need to take a break.

This is the way in which you have been with MagsJ.

youtube.com/watch?v=S2ptJBEtOB4

I am not calling you a monkey but you represent the monkey here. Your behavior has gone way beyond “irking” her, really disrespect, a real power play which just is not working and it comes close to creeping me out the way in which you “go at her”. You do not even see your own behavior.

Twit is an insult in every form of English. It might not be a “big” insult, but it is, and was clearly intended to be, an insult.

Peter, your comment is irrelevant.
Ecmandu, you are not helping.
Arc, you are basically correct.

Locking this thread. Mags, you should respond.

The above has been noted.

Moving forward… may I suggest that the Report function be used to report such matters in the future, as that is what the function is there for, and this way minimal disruption to the boards will be caused, and if anyone feels the need to rant… do so in Rant, and don’t flood the boards (with neither your own topics, nor in others’ threads) as this issue here, is the culmination of that.

I’m not trying to educate you about English, I’m trying to get you to acknowledge that you crossed a line in your post.

The report function is an option, but people should still feel free to make threads like these in Meta. This is part of what Meta is for.

This too has been noted.

…also noted.