The flag

The flag is not an American symbol anymore, it is a republican symbol.

Discuss.

Probably because Republicans are more patriotic than Democrats

You’re still a tool of mind control if you actually believe this. I’m not a liberal or conservative…

I just know that when people raise the American flag, they are defending (amongst other things) anti abortion.

The flag has been stolen

You mean like American patriots? Have you not been keeping up with current events?

Perhaps it is time for someone to design a new American flag where the “true” symbolism could be brought up-to-date, never to be lost nor self-interpreted and one which would completely annihilate anyone’s opportunity and chance to use it to their own advantage but that later notion I really do not see happening. Many have a tendency to fall on the flag in their hour of need hugging it to their self like Linus’ security blanket.

This flag would necessarily have to be unique in itself and speak for the deepest meaning and value of People/Humanity everywhere while at the same time standing for the U.S. I wonder what that American flag would look like.

Not really sure what design is going to stop a flag from being self interpreted
Since do not all flags mean the same irrespective of what is actually on them

Yes, you are probably right about the first part. The flag we have today though - how does IT ITSELF speak to something specific, something deeply embedded in the human psyche that can be enduring and not self-interpreted?

What do you mean by “mean the same”? Are you speaking about their own individual symbolic meaning?
If someone came down from another planet lol and had no understanding of what a democracy was, how could they know by looking at the American flag what democracy truly was?

By mean the same I mean that every national flag is a symbolic representation of the love of that particular country
This is a universal principle and so is not exclusive to America even if it is a more patriotic country than most others

If meaning can be ascribed to color preception, then surely white could indicate some inter party-al (partial) affiliation?
Signaling a post scriptic transcendental unity?

The below is what I said above:

Yes, I love my flag. It is beautiful to me because of what it symbolizes to me ~~ all of the men and women who sacrificed their lives for their country, for freedom. That is what I see and feel when I look at it. Most Americans love their flag, among other people too who live here but at the same time, what does our flag today actually say and show, non symbolically? None of us were around when it was designed.

The stripes represent the original 13 Colonies and the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag are symbolic as well; red symbolizes hardiness and valor, white symbolizes purity and innocence, and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.

Of course, based on the above, in designing a new flag, it would appear that we would lose/sacrifice some beautiful and meaningful symbolism. But could we not bring a flag more up to date to these times? I wonder though if those colors are symbolically “real” today. :sad-teareye: Difficult to say.

What do you mean, Meno? If white symbolizes purity and innocence…

It was a sort of a preamble to overstretch the analogy. The sort of type of thinking the biggie often accuses me of. Maybe he is right, in part, but not for the most part.

Anyway , red is the color of Republicans, Blue, the color of the Democrats, and the mix is not white, right, ? But the mix should be, the center should come from and toward all colors, but then we know we would need all colors of the rainbow to represent that, !
For particulars, I shall seek to ascribe to ancient myths surrounding the quest for autonomy.