most well written post of ILP competition

If more people were chill, the chill factor would quickly spread, and there’d be less war… and even, less minor dramas. :slight_smile:

Big chill is an impossible concept, as for the universe to expand it would have to expand into something else, which would be part of the universe.

So existence is simply not circumscribed.

Which means the Big Bang is not the origin of the universe. It is simply logically not possible for it to be.

The technicalities on what would constitute a perfect bang in the big bang are shaky. I don’t know how a brane collision or a black hole can account for the absolute uniformity of spacetime. But the idea that we were seeded from some kind of quantum source in a larger ocean, like timeless genesis coming from a never ending nirvana could be quite harmonious.

This doesn’t account for relativity - experimental evidence backs up the curvature of spacetime in proportion to gravity and high speeds. Both of these conditions are met by the big bang, resulting in maximum spactime curvature, which involves time dilation and length contraction. Lengths are minimally small under these conditions (just a singularity) and times are maximally long - it takes nearly forever for the universe to cross a threshold where it “appears to begin” according to present day human perceptions of time. The initially high temperatures mean entropy increases maximally slowly - this is all consistent.

Now, after this threshold, the universe isn’t expanding “into something else”, spacetime itself is just uncurving. Lengths grow, time speeds up, gravities weaken proportionally to the inverse square law, and increases in entropy initially speed up.

I find the easiest way to visualise what the experimental evidence indicates is through the use of an extra dimension, along which spacetime is uncurving. It’s not expanding “into nothing” or into something else, but along this dimension, giving the impression of spacetime expanding when not considering this extra dimension.

As lengths grow, times speed up, gravities weaken and entropy tends towards a maximum, temperatures and differences in temperatures minimise - towards a big chill. Again, all consistent.

Curving is an effectivity upon affectance. (Per St James and that appears plausible.) Logic of the most elementary exclusively set kind, suggests otherwise.

Both escape from absolute states and return to them are true, w/o thing variable levels of associative/disassociate processes.
So the universe changes phenomenal change in accordance to the variable- ility of states.

Therefore the absolute state of things appears as both, but can mean different things in different states of being/becoming.

The modern resurgence into Nietzche’s phenomenology invites this type of interpretation , as viewed through Husserl.

camus on nihilism

Yeah, well written. Except perhaps the use of the cliché “When push comes to shove” instead of something simple like “Ultimately”. A minor point.

Aha! By Jove!

Its the only logical possibility I see. Nicely phrased, by the way.

Some good writing in that 3Am thread.

derleydoo:

[quo te]
Didn’t expect to see a soul. I opened the door just in time to see the young lady slam her office door. We refer to her as ‘Love’. I realise it sounds sexist to call someone Love, but she doesn’t seem to mind.
“What’s up with her?” I ask.
My question is disregarded. Instead, he directs his gaze at the now slammed door. “Come on, Love,” he calls. He looks at me, shakes his head. “Don’t ask,” I am told.
“Too late, I’ve already asked. What was all that about?”
He ignores my question. He points at my hands. “What have you been doing?”
“Removing the graffiti, as instructed.”
“All gone?”
“All apart from, ism. What’s upset her?”
“You know what she’s like.”
“Does she know I’m here?”
“What do you think?? By the way, you just missed your grandson.”
“You’re kidding me.”
“I told him you are a complete fool. He seemed to accept it. Go and put bard after ism.”/quote]

Meno said something outstandingly good somewhere

“and Rumi transferred his eagle nature into the remarkable bat Dracula.”

viewtopic.php?t=171403#p2135398

Seriously heavy thread about the nature of time featuring contributions from Farsight / Anthem / PhysBang / Jakob / Sauwelios
I have read some of it but fully intend to read the thing in its entirety to see if I can understand the subject matter more clearly

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=171501&p=21401228#p2137670

Another heavy one about how gravity works featuring contributions from Farsight / Anthem / PhysBang / James S Saint / barbarianhorde
Shorter than the previous one and again I fully intend to read it in its entirety to see if I can understand its subject matter more clearly

Making a note to myself to check out more of Farsights contributions here even though his post count was quite small

For this is what a philosophy forum should be about which is serious topics discussed by seriously intelligent people

Yes, that was a truly significant, beautiful and edifying thread. Thanks for bringing it to the attention.

Farsight is one of the most valuable posters here, ever. I agree.

Here is another great thread with a lot of Farsight in it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=170813

Thanks Fixed. =D> I like to think there’s some there - if you dig deep enough amongst the drunken ramblings!

This, by Phoneutria, in the Carl Sagan Thread. It was beautiful when I read it, and still is.

my father teaches
that on top of your head
rests a lotus flower
and that while you meditate
you visualize the petals opening
and it floods your body with light
as reveals a jewel inside
a god within you
who is the solar angel
a being of a much higher hyerarchy
who bound itself to you
to tutor the development of your consciousness
he is you
he is the part of you that isn’t an ape
he’s pulling the you you out of the ape
little by little
as a part of an effort to collect
all of the little bits of cousciousness from the universe
all sources of light
and make them grow
and unite them
so when you sing the hundred sylables
you call to him
the vajrasattva
to protect your little self
and never let you go
to grow the light in you
to purify you
and guide you to the realization of his solar nature
making you one

dad has been known to be eccentric

Why anyone would want to name good people eccentric is beyond me.

Thanks Berkeley Babes for reposting it, for it is truly a jewel like the lotus is.

I don’t know why but I love word eccentric. I think of weird as interesting and interesting as good.