Testosterone in Art

youtu.be/0il3ysn4z-M?t=307

Wha happened to this attitude?

Now we have "slime ball’ or I mean “deadpool” with Ryan Renolds.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULapO-8rEII[/youtube]

Somehow after neon olives men felt a bit… well without this.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itwt_opsvQ[/youtube]

This one got some dopamine as well.

i’m actually glad you’ve provided the opportunity to examine a comparison. summa summarum; the shwarzenegger archetype of masculinity is incomplete and lacks fullness of strength precisely because it takes too seriously. it takes seriously because it is in danger, and in being in danger betrays a weakness. deadpool, on the other hand, is the ideal masculine hero; eternally recurring, nearly impossible to kill, regenerative health, nihilistic attitude, sardonic sense of humor and light-hearted cynicism - how could the world not be a joke for someone with such power? hithertoo those in search of the masculine ideal have only been ‘stammering about their virtue’, as N put it, unable to take lightly… or i should say again as fritz infered; they lack the seriousness of a child at play. deadpool is the free spirit par excellence, while the shwarzenegger type is trying too hard to state its case. it hasn’t yet quite figured out what the world truly is. not something to be taken seriously, but used for sport, experimentally, where one can delight in one’s excess of sarcasm and mockery toward all those tedious things that trouble the serious ones, but are for the deadpool type hardly worth all the solemn effort. the ‘merc with the mouth’ is a synthesis of unadulterated power and play. he is light years beyond a shwartzenegger.

masculine has never been buldging muscles, two handed swords and leather loin covers. conan has always been too cliche. too (stereo)typical of an expression of everything impotent men aspired to be. but deadpool… this carefree creature is pure dynamite… the pure halcyon grin. everything in the world becomes slowed down, dull and mundane in his magnificent presence.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po9DxX8EhDk[/youtube]

Thank you for elevating this thread to the level of discussing"true masculinity where it only started as a showcase of testosterone. It would however not occur to me to present Schwarzenegger as an example of ideal man. That would have to be some version of myself.

Is the dead pool guy sufficiently drowning in testosterone though?
Is there an example of testosterone and cool?

What I think disqualifies Deadpool is the meta-ness of it all, the irony which governs everything. Schwarzenegger and his beefed up men were actually running in the jungle before and after these long days of shooting, which is what caught my attention in the video I posted. And why I called the thread after testosterone. Im really interested in what happened to that little chemical in our life after noin oiliven, when everything turned Meta and direct expression of testosterone was no longer cool. Except if it is as a literal dick in literal sex on screen.

One of the rare exceptions to this rule is this movie, which is nicely straightforward.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAKiRaCwd0Y[/youtube]

The Bourne Legary, actually, three out of four or is it five now, of the Bournes are excellent.
I remember this as fitting in well…

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDTtUSI_CGg

The Walking Dead also has nice male development in and around the boundaries of losing it with the character of Rick Grimes.

They’re great, I agree. This was the one I hadn’t seen yet, I was really captivated by the chemistry of this actor with the power the character represents. I really like the ending, one of the smartest upbeat ending lines ever, and the look the protagonist then gives in response is priceless. He has a way with women, this one, in a way Matt Damon manifestly doesn’t.

In terms of pure action I found this one less than the previous three that Ive seen - Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum -
in Ultimatum, which is dramatically the poorest, there is one action sequence which really did the trick like a good blockbuster in the 90s could do sometimes, like Terminator 2, where the action becomes at once very mercurial and clever and at the same time hilariously brutal, like in the main chase where he is driving off the roof of a parking garage and then using a CIA mans bullets meant for him as a distraction from a cop who just pulled his gun on him - thats as good as it ever was.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXenK_xE88U[/youtube]

I think the template was set here. The best part of this scene is arguably the German accent of the Swiss policemen, but the action, how it is staged and executed, I can think of no modern movie that is as relevant in purely technical storytelling.

The Matrix is the least testosterone driven action moviemaking of fame with its rubbery kung-foolery, that was a deep dive we took as humanity. The Matrix, what a debacle. Almost everyone including myself was somewhat fooled at first, how interesting it was, but it is true nihilistic rubbish if there was ever use for the term. Parts 2 and 3 were so thought- and loveless that even the rendering of one chase sequence showed polygons. There are no emotions in the Matrix. Keanu Reeves is redeemed by watching a Bill and Ted adventure.

Morpheus is a pretty cool character and so is mr Smith, it is all very inventive and well cast, but it just isn’t … sound.

Its the absolute opposite of the behaviour of the cast of Predator. Which apparently is now my standard for soundness.

Speaking of soundness. From the Matrix days no less. And of course Fight Club and the Matrix are in a way telling the same story, except one does it from sickness and the other from health.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXAIdrs4Fc[/youtube]

Edward Norton was in his element in Bourne Legacy too, beautiful part. “I need everyone to find another gear” -

Why being and not rather nothing?
Because of the behaviour of the cast of Predator.

My previous answer was: Because of the dwellingness of Adam.

But that really is only an answer to why this world exist, and not nothing. Not why anything exists at all.
I found a really intriguing answer to that.

Why being and not rather nothing?
Because nothing stands in its way.

See what happened there?