Philosophy Now

Ok I went there for a recon, so far good scholarship and lazy thought. But an old member from here from way in the day is there and he was the only one who was ever ahead of me in what I was going for, so Im sure there is value there. Ill keep looking, I just dont have it in me to be polite with people who think Im impressed that they understand Socrates was a proficient skeptic. I won’t go into a mathematics dorm and ask people if they know the answer to some basic arithmetic.

People aren’t being challenged in school, I can tell you that. We need new Academia.
But the manners and the way people have actually read their literature has something to it that this site lacks.

I saw one deep thread about Kierkegaard. No one here is calm enough to be depressed like Kierkegaard was.
So for him too it was Law or Hedon.
As always, how is there not a superior law to the law that is only one part of the law?
But thats 10 dimensions above PN. People here intuit that things have layers and you never approach anything at face value.

Genius is disagreeable. A collection of geniuses is always a messy affair. Like primordial mud.

That place has the same amount of bantering but its participating membership is higher, so that banter isn’t as prevalent or obvious. I think you’d see the same averages work out at most forums. If membership at ilp we’re higher, the bantering of assholes like me wouldn’t be as pronounced. But yeah, there are some well mannered folks over there who are really into philosophy. Check out the new dude mohammed something or other. Dude laid out his whole prolegomena in an introduction thread.

Maybe to a great extent genius and disagreeability are similar things. The rejection of commonly found conclusions, being repulsed by the tameness in the habit of agreeing, especially agreeing to disagree. At one point the genius will consider social life, but only as an act of covert war.

Yeah he checks off every box in the questionnaire. Now what.

Lol no one here gives a crêpe. Good.

A good few years back, most of the Brits here, left for there… which might have something to do with that.

The UK/US debating styles are very different. I logged-in there a few weeks ago, and have been considering trying it out for size, but never to desert ILP.

Bantering with the UK homies again… a reunion, aha!

Back from my PN reccie… it’s much more busier than it used to be, which is how I initially expected it to be for a magazine-affiliated forum, when I joined a coupla years back… it was much more quieter then, and more unruly too.

I may well post there, when here is quiet, but I didn’t find there any more deeply philosophical like you implied, but very commeradery instead… which is not a bad thing at all.

Philosophy Forums is now defunct, and there is a The Philosophy Forum, which looks ultra-modern, but I didn’t read the content to know if that is reflective of its modern facade.

Edited to add: having read the posts on PN this morning, they’re quite brutal and savage in their replies, which is probably why I’ve refrained from participating there over the years.

It is no more busy than over here but it is more ad hom but nothing that could be described as brutal
Generally rather a good forum with knowledgeable members and sufficient diversity which also helps