Determinism

“Defending Free Will & The Self”
Frank S. Robinson in Philosophy Now magazine

Still, we don’t really know for certain if what we know we know is not just another manifestation of nature unfolding only as it does…only as it can…only as it must.

The amoeba is just further down the line when – somehow! – mindless matter became living matter became self-conscious living matter became you and I.

How, exactly, on a biological, genetic, chemical and neurological level did this “layering of representations” tumble over into having actual options to act on this…freely?

And then part where all the memes come in.

Sure, those autonomous aliens could look down at us and describe this communication by noting the things that we choose to do. But then noting in turn that we only think that we are choosing freely to do what we do because nature/matter has evolved into a human brain able to create the psychological illusion of actual volition.

But: How would they go about communicating that to us?

Which merely demonstrates that very, very intelligent people grapple with this and come to differing conclusions. Conflicting wants and desires seem to suggest [if only “intuitively”] that “I” am there as more than just another mechanical component ever in sync with the laws of matter. But how is that then established as in fact true? Or that the establishing of this itself is just another manifestation of nature’s inevitable march into the future.

Dennett insists!

Well, I guess that settles it then. Unless, of course, other very, very smart folks insist that it is something else entirely.

Teleological and ontollogical verification.

Ok. Genotypes and evolutionary development may not or may foreshadow the layers of representations which may result in consciousness , including that of the self.

However , precognizant waste of life and post cognizant abortion of an overproduction of human beings resulting in overpopulation. to the degree that it endangers human life as a given, does shift the scientific rational into the teleological purpose, if any.

My point is, that because of.lack of stasis, it is not arguable.

But You forgot the Bunny Box!! Boxes are everywhere. Lords of wonderland pipe a well curled shape of Your Meganium. She bathes in a Yugioh pyramid swimming pool with a Marius Florin galactic super civilizations Politoed. Here’s what He says about “Free Will”:

And here’s what I said about Buddha:

“this atheist believes in free will”
James Kirk Wall from the ChicagoNow web page

All this reflects of course is the fact that our brain is able to come up with things like this in order to “prove” we have free will.

As though we can’t have a dream in which the same scenario unfolds. You walk out the door and go looking for a place to eat. Now, in the dream you think you are doing it freely. Or I certainly do in my dreams.

But, of course, that’s just a dream! In the waking world it’s all different. Why? Because we can think up scenarios like the one above and that proves it.

Quite the contrary insist those who believe in an omniscient God. He can predict what you’ll wind up eating.

Even Wall’s conviction that he chose to become an atheist is only based on the assumption that he might have freely opted instead to become a Christian.

And that you have thought yourself into believing that you are freely choosing what to pick from the menu is really as far as you can go by way of “demonstrating” it.

On and on folks like Hall go creating arguments out of words and then using the arguments themselves as the intellectual’s equivalent of the scientific method.

Hello Iambigious,

It is not to decide what to be atheist or Theist, but of the structural integrity between them in stasis, where one can sit back and decide, buy with the coming of attractions of centralized structural AI, the opportunity to distinguish will be anything based but on human recall.

Everything is on line including that of the philosophy and description of ‘mind’

=D>

“Neuroscience vs philosophy: Taking aim at free will”
Scientists think they can prove that free will is an illusion. Philosophers are urging them to think again.
Kerri Smith in Nature magazine.

This is really what it comes down to for many. We may never know beyond all doubt whether the behaviors that we choose involve at least some element of freedom. But since we don’t seem to know this unequivocally now, this leaves open the possibilty that we don’t.

But: the implications of that can be either very, very disturbing or very, very comforting.

It depends in large part on how many achievements you can claim to take credit for and how many failures you can claim are “beyond my control”.

And how do you wrap your head around the idea that in choosing coffee instead of tea you are merely in sync with the laws of matter going back [so far] 13.8 billion years.

Yet even given some measure of free will, our reactions to this are in turn but a reflection of all the existential variables in our lives that predispose some to think about it deeply and others not to think about it at all.

It all just gets tangled up in/with all of the other human-all-too-human factors that prompt us to go in so many different directions in the course of choosing either this or that.

We simply make up our minds one way or the other and carry on. We’re all basically stuck here.

Ontologically perhaps, but Cosmo-Teleologically we should not!

Social psychology being more determinate Nowedays, as a matrix around which philosophy and psychology revolve around, , the credibility of ‘unstickiness’ may be more viable.

Just a comment.

“Defending Free Will & The Self”
Frank S. Robinson in Philosophy Now magazine

So, what have we here? Isn’t it basically a “thought experiment” provided to us as “proof” that on some admittedly complex level, the crewmen each possess in their own way the capacity to choose their behaviors?

Is he actually able to describe what goes on in the brain of the crewmen such that he reaches this crucial point, amidst entirely natural chemical and neurological interactions, where each individual “I” here is freely opting toward the wheel of his own volition?

Close enough to the science of free will?

Again, only to the extent that he could probe the brain of someone who did quit smoking and note how, empirically, “I” here is not compelled by the laws of nature, would he be able to establish definitively that the quitter’s will was free.

Until then, how is it not just another rendition of what Kerri Smith noted above:

“The conscious decision to [quit smoking] was made about a second before the actual act, but the team discovered that a pattern of brain activity seemed to predict that decision by as many as seven seconds. Long before the subjects were even aware of making a choice, it seems, their brains had already decided.”

Huh?!!!

“The conscious decision to [quit smoking] was made about a second before the actual act, but the team discovered that a pattern of brain activity seemed to predict that decision by as many as seven seconds. Long before the subjects were even aware of making a choice, it seems, their brains had already decided.”

But even if that’s so, whether we made up our minds sub-consciously or not, there is little merit in the notion that somehow sub conscious determination is due to extrinsic or internal causation: where the later is more associated with free will or not.

This argument splices reason ing to such a determinative shift that includes one to doubt it’s argumentative sense.
It more results in a fed back determinism that relies on defining from Ontologically gained facts, rather then from those that are micro-manageable.

Uncertainty has taken a toll with reasoning, to be sure.!

For instance,

'Cassirer altered and widened this approach by stating that the ongoing change of mental frame-which is a unique quality of mankind, as well as his flexibility and ability to create future and realms of possibility-can only emerge from a broader knowledge about relational order. Those skills are grounded in man’s ability to expand mental terms and settings of cognition beyond the borders of language to even more abstract spheres, thus claiming that a system of “invariants of experi-ence” (Invariantensystem der Erfahrung) is an integral trait of human cognition (Pluemacher/Sandkuehler ’

This. in reference to the problem You introduced with the splicing of conscious/subconscious variants to the problem of freedom, in purport of increasing insecurity in describing that difference.
The indifference and the resulting embededness causes the very Ontologically verifiable tendency to resist a change. To the mind, that type of reductive analysis, necessarily short-cuts any uncertain causality that may serve a better (higher) purpose.

This is where from my frame of mind the arguments get rather unreal, strange…even bizarre.

If Harris doesn’t believe in free will given the manner in which I have come to understand a determined universe then he could not have not been an atheist any more than religious folks could not have not believed in God. Yet his reactions to religion is precisely the reaction that one would expect from someone who believes that one is able [obligated] to freely choose atheism because it is more rational.

On the other hand, if Harris doesn’t say that science has proven that free will doesn’t exist, can Hall say that science has proven it does exist? How are both points of view not clearly embedded in all that is still yet to be learned by science here?

All any of us can explain about why we choose one selection from the menu rather than another is what we think “here and now” we know about what is happening “in our head” then. When in fact none of us do know everything that we must know in order to answer the question definitively.

That’s the part both sides seem unwilling to accept. The part that [to me] revolves more around a human psychology [compelled or not] ever and always inclined to believe that having an answer is far, far better than being unsure that there is an answer.

Besides, there must be an answer. Why? Because they have already found it!

Okay, but what I keep coming back to here is how interesting it might be to point out to Mr. Harris that in a wholly determined universe, i.e. a universe in which all matter [including brain matter] is governed by natural laws, what any of us come to understand about the definition of free will is the only thing we were ever able to come to understand about it.

In other words, over and again I’m confronted with the prospect that I must be missing something really important here about the manner in which folks like this discuss these relationships.

Same for the author here. How is he able to demonstrate that what he understands about these relationships is beyond all doubt the embodiment of his own free will? However circumscribed and/or circumvented it will be by any number of actual existential variables.

His leap to free will is no less an intellectual contraption in my view. We’re all stuck trying to pin the tail on this donkey going all the way back to why something rather than nothing exists at all. And why this something and not another something altogether.

In other words, why and how does the human brain do what it does such that this can be traced back to God or to nature or to some component embedded in the chemical and neurological interactions inside the brain that can be pinpointed to explain how this living matter became autonomous.

“Neuroscience vs philosophy: Taking aim at free will”
Scientists think they can prove that free will is an illusion. Philosophers are urging them to think again.
Kerri Smith in Nature magazine.

Here we have the classic example of how different people using the same words are not able to agree on how to understand the meaning of these words in any particular context.

Still, in talking about the “concept of free will”, how can philosophers explain this to the neuroscientists so as to enable them to test for it in their experiments with actual functioning brains making choices?

Sure, in a world of words, “free will” can be encompassed in many, many different ways. But sooner or later these “thought up” and “thought out” ideas have to be reconfigured into ways to probe both their use value and their exchange value when the focus shifts to an actual behavior being chosen in an actual context.

So, what we we need here are the latest reports from the scientific community in which the arguments of particular philosophers have been explored “for all practical purposes” given specific experiments conducted with actual functioning brains.

You know who:

Objectivists of his ilk are almost never able to grasp the irony embedded in assessments of this sort.

Sure, let’s presume for the sake of argument that free-will is an actual fact of life among our own species.

As he does.

Then, as with folks like Ayn Rand, he becomes obsessed with the idea of freedom. Of those individuals bold enough to actually exercise it. How? By yanking themsleves up out of the herd. Up out of the moronic masses who, as desparate degenerates in the modern world, are intent only on exorcising it from their lives.

But: there’s a catch.

In order for others to embody this noble freedom themselves they must first agree to think exactly as he does about, among other things, genes and memes and race and gender and sexual orientation.

This part:

1] I am rational
2] I am rational because I have access to the objective truth
3] I have access to the objective truth because I grasp the one true nature of the objective world
4] I grasp the one true nature of the objective world because I am rational

In other words, they yank themselves up out of our herd only in order to create a herd of their own.

Just as Christians must subsume their own freedom in God, the folks over at KT must be willing to subsume their freedom in Satyr.

Yes, and this is the part that, in a rather visceral, gut manner, seems very, very difficult for many to accept. Is our brain really pre-programed mechanically by the laws of matter to have chosen #937 instead of #47 because, going back to the very creation of matter itself, it could only have ever been that way?

We take our own leap here in accepting a particular set of assumptions that, in my view, are as a result of having [existentially] come into contact with sources that were predisposed existentially themselves to think this instead of that. Accepting that the overwhelming preponderance of us do not have either the education or training as actual brain scientists to fathom the human mind here systemically.

Here we go again: taking that leap from hard determinism in the either/or world [which most of us just take for granted] to no free will in the is/ought world [which most of us reject].

Here [for some] free will becomes like religion: even if it doesn’t actually exist, we’d still feel the need to invent it. Only here the need to invent it is, in and of itself, no less compelled by nature.

I’ll probably never grasp this frame of mind. In a determined universe [as I understand it] we could only determine if free will doesn’t exist because we were never able not to determine that it doesn’t exist. There is no yes or no answer here other than as the only answer we could have come to. And if we live in a wholly determined universe, we would ask ourselves if we should change our system of justice only because we were never able not to ask ourselves that. And certainly Change or No Change is but another inherent, necessary component of this determined universe

What the fuck do I keep missing here?

σάτυρος

Of course, I frame this distinctinction as “I” having been, being now and becoming an “existential contraption”. Only, unlike some, I am willing to acknowledge that I have no way in which to demonstrate beyond all doubt the distinction I make either is or is not in fact the only one I was ever able to make.

And, then, when moral and political narratives come into conflict [assuming some measure of free will], I recognize that those who argue from the perspective of “freedom from” are able to pose narratives just as reasonable as those who argue from the perspective of “freedom to”.

For example, the arguments embedded here: gun-control.procon.org/

Some wish to live in a world where guns are not permitted to be owned by private citizens [freedom from guns], while others wish to live in a world where private citizens could purchase heavy artillery if they want to [freedom to have guns].

Here, of course, the objectivists pile on. They insist that they [and only they] are able to provide us with the most rational philosophical assessment. They simply come back to different fonts: God, reason, political ideology, nature.

Over and over again: As though if Wall was only ever able to note this in a wholly determined universe, crime would only ever have been able to continue or not continue back in that old west town wholly in sync in turn with the immutable laws of matter.

For me, it’s not a question of what the sheriff says, but of whether, given what he says, he was able to freely opt to say something else. The sheriff, the criminals and the law abiding folks in that town at that time and in that place would be at one with any and all human interactions over all of time and across all of space.

If the actions of the sheriff were entirely determined then the consequences of his actions precipitated a positive and significant impact that was also only what could ever have been.

Then [for me] we are back to the part where people like peacegirl make this distinction “in their head” between human brains “choosing” rather than choosing what they do. As though anything would have been other than what it must have been when the new sheriff came to town.

No, the bottom line [mine] is that if, given nature’s laws of matter encompassing human brains/interaction, law and order is established, it is only because there was never any possibility of it not being established. And if people are made accountable it is only because they were never able to not be made accountable. Constructive and destructive decisions become interchangeable in determined universe. Actions here and now compelled necessarily to beget actions there and then.

Unless of course I’m wrong.

Actually, the hardest determinist of all would seem to throw out the most extreme example of all: That having or not having a brain tumor or schizophrenia does not make someone violent. They will be violent solely because they were never able not to be violent.

Just as the author here was never able not to make his point. Just as you were never able not to be reading mine.

Isn’t that basically the consequence of living in a universe in which the human brain is no less entirely in sync with the laws of matter?

Over and again though I can’t help but assume I must be misunderstanding his point. But: given how I have come to understand determinism there was never any possibility of my not missing it.

Same thing. What difference does it make if we “choose” to let them off or “choose” not to let them off when we did not really choose anything as an autonomous human being?

For the life of me, if this is an accurate depiction of fatalism, how does anyone actually imagine that it can be true other than in a wholly determined universe?

In other words, we all know that what we do in the present is going to precipitate consequences for the future. What we don’t know [for certain] is if what we do in the present is the only thing that we were ever able to do given a determined universe.

And, in a determined universe, as I understand it, what happens in the future is not just related to what happens in the present being related to what happens in the past, but is wholly in sync with the laws of matter such that the past, present and future are as one.

Including the existence of self-conscious matter – you and I – if the human brain itself is wholly in sync with the laws of matter.

Again, how tricky this all gets. If you conclude that someone is a victim of causality, it is only becasue you were compelled by the laws of nature to conclude this. At least to the extent that it can be determined definitively that the human brain is but a necessary adjunct of the same laws.

But: even the attempts to demonstrate this can only be as they were ever able to be in a wholly determined universe.

On the other hand, in a determined universe, concluding that you are a victim of chance is encompassed in the same set of assumptions.

What we conclude that causality implies is only what we were ever able to conclude that it implies.

This part:

Exactly: Maybe this, maybe that. Assuming that we do have some measure of free will allowing us to come to our very own autonomous conclusions.