Abortion

Do you think that’s plausible?

It would give them another choice beyond not using birth control effectively, but the choice would not be a shirking of responsibility in exchange for murder plus they would still be able to make the decision regarding their body but they would be held responsible for killing another living being. The child still dies, but responsibility would no longer be ignored.

Plus, what’s not plausible today when there are 90+ genders and men and women are equal, men are women and women are men, and children are persecuted as adults, along with all the other past implausibilities that are plausible today.

I used to be anti abortion then I was pro abortion now I am neither because I cannot make up my mind anymore
So I am therefore entirely detached from it as a moral issue because of my inability to make an absolute choice

I am not a woman so will never have to make a decision to have an abortion and should not judge women that do
Equally so I see no moral reason to have an abortion where there are no medical or psychological reasons for one

These two positions are mutually incompatible and so make it impossible for me to have an opinion on abortion

So my position now is that when ever a woman does have one I have absolutely no say on it at all - precisely zero
Because the last thing women want is another man mansplaining to them what they should do with their uteruses

I used to believe life begins at birth, but upon further reflection, while I tend to believe life begins at brain activity now, rather than at birth, heartbeat or conception, I think I still support a woman’s right to terminate during any stage of her pregnancy, because I see this matter as sort of a grey area.
That being said, I’m not sure how I feel about late term abortions, perhaps there should be some restrictions on those, so maybe life affectively begins just before late term, for me.
My beliefs are no longer firm in this matter.

When you try to force a complex multi-faceted argument into a single simple answer for the sake of clear practical application in law…

Make up your mind one way or the other and find your team, or find your team and make up your mind based on that - apparently that’s the political extent of common anti-philosophical dis-intellectual ability.

When someone tries to give a simple one-sided answer to this question, ignore them immediately.

Scratching your ass too hard is killing, biologically it’s a mass extinction of life… life in possession of human DNA, no less.

Who cares what the misandrists want?

Sound advice.

would your concerns about the child lead you to pacifist or partially pacifist positions on war, since war will always include deaths of pregnant women and the children they carry? Let alone Hiroshima or Dresden. IOW when do we get to break the rule. And yes, I understand that in war what might be called murder is often seen as moral, even a duty. However the babies in the womb are utterly innocent.

98% of people in a war are utterly innocent. The 2% decides for the country that war is happening. I’m for allowing pregnant mothers to find neutral territory in which to birth their babies.

But since that’s not something that happens as a rule, you accept that babies will die and wars are ok. Or? Which wars and interventions and policies (embargos, for example) the US engaged it did you think they should not have, given that innocents including those in wombs would be killed.

I think abortion should be legal until the kid turns 18.

Abortion of a rape-baby seems maybe okay. Like it would be okay to murder the rapist. It needs to be done the next day though, not a week can go by otherwise there is apparently enough need for a baby to keep it.
All other forms, I know it destroys the woman’s soul. Seen that several times. They don’t recover, go on meds, become prostitutes.

Okay my phone corrected that to prostiTunes.

I know a quite a number of women who did not, after, go on meds or become prostititutes. Since the number of people on meds these days is extremely high, I’d need to see some pretty large sample data to back up the idea that more women who have abortions do this. The becoming prostitute thing is just silly.

That’s a pretty smart idea. Legalize it for younger not mature women, victims of rape and non consensual sex, above 18-21 not legal? I feel the whole abortion ideal is about maturity and responsibility, if one consents knowingly, then they must face the consequences. I believe women after 21 are typically mature right? Perhaps 24?

That’s not what I mean. I mean that until a person turns 18, the parents should be able to abort them.

this is actually a brilliant idea.

instead of parents being the legal guardians of children below the age of 18, they become the legal guardians after the child turns 18. this way, the parents get 18 years to observe the child and decide whether or not they want to be the parents, and have the option of terminating that obligation if the kid turns out to be bourgeois or a slacker.

That’s Savage as fuck but it could work.

Why, would you rather have been aborted?

Of courser mr R is joking to draw attention away from the horrendous bloody mess that abortion is, not to mention the thriving organ-trade derived from it.
I know a bunch of women who have had abortions and none of them ever get over it. When conversation turns to it they sink deep into their soul into an eternal pain that is just there and always will be. They literally killed their own blood.

barbarianhorde

Thank you, barbarianhorde, This is why I composed that Letter to an Unborn Child. To give these women some moments to really decide if that is what they truly wanted to do. I have seen many of those faces going in and coming out that you described above.

Of course, there are those women who just feel that they have unloaded excess baggage…

Sure, there will be women who feel this way. Just as there will be women who do not.

But what ultimately counts here is the extent to which the law of the land is willing to punish those women who do not regret having an abortion.

And, then, here, the extent to which philosophers are able to weigh in on this and provide us with an argument that is either more or less able to resolve it.

Some see abortion as a moral issue aimed at bringing the unborn into the world – a world populated with all the rest of us who were not aborted. Others see it as a political issue aimed at providing women with true equality with men in a world where only women can become pregnant.

I merely suggest that each of us as individuals have come to acquire a particular moral narrative here as the embodiment of dasein. And not as someone in possession [philosophically or otherwise] of the most rational and virtuous assessment there can ever be.

I wouldn’t use that metaphor but the women I know who’ve done it did not regret the choice, some later chose to have children, other not. In most instances I’ve know the men were even less interested in having the child, and I have never met a man who did know about the abortion of his potential child who was concerned at all. I know there are men who are upset if the choice is made without their input and some who are upset about the choice to have the abortion. But generally the men seem relieved and less ambivalent than the women.