Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

Nothing that I know of, other than personal renderings or hear say, has ever been produced or provide to show the existence of a supernatural realm or entities. The ancients did not seem to think the supernatural was a reality. https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

No entity, good or evil, have ever manifested itself in a provable way, even though some think god is Omni-present and that Satan was given the ability and power to deceive us all.

I think that those who believe in supernatural entities are being taken advantage of by fraudulent preachers who recognize our propensity of over imagination, which we all have, as shown in the Princess Alice experiments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx_uVDh4Cw

I can see some benefits in imaginary thinking to validate or refute ideas but that is about it.

Is belief or faith in the supernatural a worthy idea for us or is it a tool used by lying preachers intent on fleecing sheeple?

If there is no supernatural god, should we not seek a human leader or spiritual guide instead of idolizing imaginary supernatural gods that are demonstrably less moral than humans?

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Meno_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:57 am

Well the Delphic Oracle was something more than ordinary, and people lived and died on account of it, t the Egyptian cat: the sphinx is very unusual, , scarans are sign of the sacred, Pharaos held secrets with demonatratable effect of curses, ansnthen there are colleges and universities having departments studying it, internationally , Rasputin was a monk-magician , and the psychologist Jung wrote treatises about it, a Dr.Moody has documented hundreds of cases of near death experiences, so it is not like it's just a tapestry of a bunch of auto suggestion .Intuitive mathematics is an established study, and we all dream, and able to connect and interpret them in conaciouaness, some to the degree, that they can't discern conscious from unconscious states.
The intelligence of artificial simulation it'self may be a beginning ground to the key to the doors of preception, and the overcoming of absolutely devastating political determinancy has been changed , can be changed by a subtle interchange of breaths of the soul, and what is unintelligent about it, because of beliefs only in the appearance of pictures of the image nation?

Has anybody traveled as described in Eckencar? Has any son of a father whose overcoming from the absolute depth of which Nietzche only glimpsed a looking back? Can such be?
Can it?can the miracles of Jesus Christ be so easily explained by mere theatrics?
The absolute has strange magic for which good and evil equally contest.
Some will forgo the contest , paralysis sets in, political facts don't sync rationally with fabrications, and look to the source to find real validity, not in the expression , nor the representation. , but in the lack of bias and its purported validation .

Those are difficult to excavate, and the intention separable partly judgement will determine the outcome.
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Was that a yes or a no to the question?

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Meno_ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Yes, but with a covenant that's not a game.
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby promethean75 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:38 am

if there is no supernatural god, should we not seek a human leader or spiritual guide


I would man but I've been busy as hell lately and wouldn't be able to devote much time to you guys.

Have you tried putting an ad in craigslist?
promethean75
Thinker
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Meno_ wrote:Yes, but with a covenant that's not a game.


If so, can you explain this kind of thinking for faith in the supernatural?

Martin Luther.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

In early Christianity, they believed that nothing could be known of the supernatural.
What do you know of it as a fact? If nothing, why believe in nothing?

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Greatest I am wrote:In early Christianity, they believed that nothing could be known of the supernatural.

So they didn't believe that Jesus resurrected, that God made the world, that Jesus healed people, that there were burning bushes or angels...etc. Early Christians didn't believe in these things?

I mean, I know there were some groups that didn't believe in this, but didn't many, if not most Christians believe in supernatural entities and events?
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby phyllo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:In early Christianity, they believed that nothing could be known of the supernatural.

So they didn't believe that Jesus resurrected, that God made the world, that Jesus healed people, that there were burning bushes or angels...etc. Early Christians didn't believe in these things?

I mean, I know there were some groups that didn't believe in this, but didn't many, if not most Christians believe in supernatural entities and events?
Maybe they just considered it natural rather than supernatural or unnatural. God( etc.) being a natural and normal/ordinary part of existence.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11191
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:37 pm

phyllo wrote:
Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:In early Christianity, they believed that nothing could be known of the supernatural.

So they didn't believe that Jesus resurrected, that God made the world, that Jesus healed people, that there were burning bushes or angels...etc. Early Christians didn't believe in these things?

I mean, I know there were some groups that didn't believe in this, but didn't many, if not most Christians believe in supernatural entities and events?
Maybe they just considered it natural rather than supernatural or unnatural. God( etc.) being a natural and normal/ordinary part of existence.
Oh, I agree, though I don't think that's what greatest means. I think the word supernatural has led to all sort of wasted verbiage. Is it real or not? If it's real, it's natural.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:53 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:In early Christianity, they believed that nothing could be known of the supernatural.

So they didn't believe that Jesus resurrected, that God made the world, that Jesus healed people, that there were burning bushes or angels...etc. Early Christians didn't believe in these things?

I mean, I know there were some groups that didn't believe in this, but didn't many, if not most Christians believe in supernatural entities and events?


Let's start with what follows and see if we have a discussion.

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental trash that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Further.
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:56 pm

phyllo wrote:
Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:In early Christianity, they believed that nothing could be known of the supernatural.

So they didn't believe that Jesus resurrected, that God made the world, that Jesus healed people, that there were burning bushes or angels...etc. Early Christians didn't believe in these things?

I mean, I know there were some groups that didn't believe in this, but didn't many, if not most Christians believe in supernatural entities and events?
Maybe they just considered it natural rather than supernatural or unnatural. God( etc.) being a natural and normal/ordinary part of existence.


Indeed.

Before the scribes took god out of our hearts and put him in the sky somewhere.

Even today, Karaite Jews, who det5ermine the beliefs within Jewry, remain esoteric ecumenists and put man above god, where we belong.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:In early Christianity, they believed that nothing could be known of the supernatural.

So they didn't believe that Jesus resurrected, that God made the world, that Jesus healed people, that there were burning bushes or angels...etc. Early Christians didn't believe in these things?

I mean, I know there were some groups that didn't believe in this, but didn't many, if not most Christians believe in supernatural entities and events?


Let's start with what follows and see if we have a discussion.

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental trash that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."
He was a Jew. The issue was what Early Christians believed.

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."
And yet he believed in the pre-existence of souls, miracles from Jesus and demons and angels. I have told you this before, and yet you trot Origen out as an expert.

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
That was directed at non-Christian Jews on moral issues to show them that Jesus was the fulfillment of Moses. But since you are bringing up Matthew...
https://www.trusting-in-jesus.com/Mirac ... tthew.html
He also speaks of many miracles and note...these are not presented in the poetic language of the OT/Torah. They are presented as flat tales. They are not presented in the flowery allegorical language of, say, Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, they are presented in clear recounting events ways. There is absolutely no indication we should take them as anything other than they are written...accounts of what happened. And many Early Christians took them this way.


This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.
Now you write early Gnostic Christians. Fine. In relation to some of them, you are correct as far as literalism. Other gnostics did believe in supernatural phenomena. Though the term itself is silly. If you believe it is real, it is natural. If you do not believe it is real, it is unreal. It is not supernatural. It simply does not exist. That term has led to so many wasted conversations since believers are accused of creating a new ontological category (supernatural), regardless of whether this is true or not.


You keep repeating the same things without making adjustments for counterevidence for years.
Regards
DL[/quote]
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
phyllo wrote:Maybe they just considered it natural rather than supernatural or unnatural. God( etc.) being a natural and normal/ordinary part of existence.


Indeed.

Before the scribes took god out of our hearts and put him in the sky somewhere.

Even today, Karaite Jews, who det5ermine the beliefs within Jewry, remain esoteric ecumenists and put man above god, where we belong.

Regards
DL
You missed the point, which he was agreeing on, that the term supernatural is misleading. And it's amazing how much you give beliefs of Jews as evidence of the beliefs of Christians.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:[.
Now you write early Gnostic Christians. Fine. In relation to some of them, you are correct as far as literalism. Other gnostics did believe in supernatural phenomena. Though the term itself is silly. If you believe it is real, it is natural. If you do not believe it is real, it is unreal. It is not supernatural. It simply does not exist. That term has led to so many wasted conversations since believers are accused of creating a new ontological category (supernatural), regardless of whether this is true or not.


You keep repeating the same things without making adjustments for counterevidence for years.
Regards
DL[/quote][/quote]

When you are correct, you do not change.

You make your statement while ignoring that the more brain dead literalist theists come up with (new) arguments. Get serious.

You seem to want to believe that the ancients were as stupid as the literalist idol worshipers are today. They weren't and were mostly all esoteric ecumenists like Jesus was.

You like to think Jesus was only talking to Jews while he was a universalists and talking to everyone.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
phyllo wrote:Maybe they just considered it natural rather than supernatural or unnatural. God( etc.) being a natural and normal/ordinary part of existence.


Indeed.

Before the scribes took god out of our hearts and put him in the sky somewhere.

Even today, Karaite Jews, who det5ermine the beliefs within Jewry, remain esoteric ecumenists and put man above god, where we belong.

Regards
DL
You missed the point, which he was agreeing on, that the term supernatural is misleading. And it's amazing how much you give beliefs of Jews as evidence of the beliefs of Christians.


The whole bible has been written by Jews.

If you can't see that then ------

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby phyllo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 pm

The whole bible has been written by Jews.
The New Testament is full of Greek ideas. If it was written by Jews, then they had already been "corrupted" by contact with Greeks.
... put man above god, where we belong.
I'm not sure what that means. If God exists, then He permeates all existence, at least in the sense of being the architect of all that is. You might as well say "put man above gravity, where we belong". It's just as strange.

And if God doesn't exist, then why talk about God at all.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11191
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 pm

phyllo wrote:
The whole bible has been written by Jews.
The New Testament is full of Greek ideas. If it was written by Jews, then they had already been "corrupted" by contact with Greeks.
... put man above god, where we belong.
I'm not sure what that means. If God exists, then He permeates all existence, at least in the sense of being the architect of all that is. You might as well say "put man above gravity, where we belong". It's just as strange.

And if God doesn't exist, then why talk about God at all.


Because both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Humanity centered religions, good? Yes. Esoteric ecumenist Gnostic Christianity being the best of these.

Supernaturally based religions, evil? Yes. Islam and Christianity being the worst of these.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby phyllo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
phyllo wrote:
The whole bible has been written by Jews.
The New Testament is full of Greek ideas. If it was written by Jews, then they had already been "corrupted" by contact with Greeks.
... put man above god, where we belong.
I'm not sure what that means. If God exists, then He permeates all existence, at least in the sense of being the architect of all that is. You might as well say "put man above gravity, where we belong". It's just as strange.

And if God doesn't exist, then why talk about God at all.


Because both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Humanity centered religions, good? Yes. Esoteric ecumenist Gnostic Christianity being the best of these.

Supernaturally based religions, evil? Yes. Islam and Christianity being the worst of these.

Regards
DL
I'm pretty sure all that has nothing to do with what I wrote in my post. :-?
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11191
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:25 pm

phyllo wrote:[
... put man above god, where we belong.
I'm not sure what that means. If God exists, then He permeates all existence, at least in the sense of being the architect of all that is. You might as well say "put man above gravity, where we belong". It's just as strange.

And if God doesn't exist, then why talk about God at all.


Because both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Humanity centered religions, good? Yes. Esoteric ecumenist Gnostic Christianity being the best of these.

Supernaturally based religions, evil? Yes. Islam and Christianity being the worst of these.

Regards
DL[/quote]I'm pretty sure all that has nothing to do with what I wrote in my post. :-?[/quote]

If you cannot get that it does -----

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:36 am

Greatest I am wrote:
Karpel Tunnel wrote:You missed the point, which he was agreeing on, that the term supernatural is misleading. And it's amazing how much you give beliefs of Jews as evidence of the beliefs of Christians.


The whole bible has been written by Jews.

If you can't see that then ------

Regards
DL
That has absolutely nothing to do with the issue in the posts related to this one. And sure, I know that. It was about the term 'supernatural'.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:42 am

Greatest I am wrote:/quote]

When you are correct, you do not change.
Well, you cite Origen as one of the enlightened early chrisitians and he believed in supernatural things. This has been pointed out before. Yet, you do not change and continue to use him as an expert, as if he agrees with you, when he does not. That particular quote does, but since he is an example of an important early Christian and he believed in supernatural things, his use is a terrible one. You also seem to think presenting three, well, actually two examples of early Christians is strong or even mild evidence of what Early Christians believed as a whole. You might want to look up Cherry Picking fallacy.

You make your statement while ignoring that the more brain dead literalist theists come up with (new) arguments. Get serious.
I don't ignore that. Feel free to demonstrate that.

You seem to want to believe that the ancients were as stupid as the literalist idol worshipers are today.
Notice how you do not respond to the points I make, but try to make it seem stupid I have the position I have, without you adding any more substance or responding to the points I made. What makes you think this kind of behavior is a philosophical discussion? What kind of example are you trying to set for rationality?


They weren't and were mostly all esoteric ecumenists like Jesus was.
And here you just restate your opinion. I know you belief this.

You like to think Jesus was only talking to Jews while he was a universalists and talking to everyone.
No, I have never argued that Jesus was only speaking to Jews. I did mention something about what Matthew was doing.

It's years and you still cannot engage in a real discussion. You cherry pick, do not respond to arguments, tell other people what their opinions are when they have not argued these opinions, restate your opinion as if it is an argument, and insult large groups of people.

If the whole I idea is that gnostics are so rational compared to others, it might be worth your while to learn how to demonstrate rationality.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:30 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:/quote]

When you are correct, you do not change.
Well, you cite Origen as one of the enlightened early chrisitians and he believed in supernatural things. This has been pointed out before. Yet, you do not change and continue to use him as an expert, as if he agrees with you, when he does not. That particular quote does, but since he is an example of an important early Christian and he believed in supernatural things, his use is a terrible one. You also seem to think presenting three, well, actually two examples of early Christians is strong or even mild evidence of what Early Christians believed as a whole. You might want to look up Cherry Picking fallacy.

You make your statement while ignoring that the more brain dead literalist theists come up with (new) arguments. Get serious.
I don't ignore that. Feel free to demonstrate that.

You seem to want to believe that the ancients were as stupid as the literalist idol worshipers are today.
Notice how you do not respond to the points I make, but try to make it seem stupid I have the position I have, without you adding any more substance or responding to the points I made. What makes you think this kind of behavior is a philosophical discussion? What kind of example are you trying to set for rationality?


They weren't and were mostly all esoteric ecumenists like Jesus was.
And here you just restate your opinion. I know you belief this.

You like to think Jesus was only talking to Jews while he was a universalists and talking to everyone.
No, I have never argued that Jesus was only speaking to Jews. I did mention something about what Matthew was doing.

It's years and you still cannot engage in a real discussion. You cherry pick, do not respond to arguments, tell other people what their opinions are when they have not argued these opinions, restate your opinion as if it is an argument, and insult large groups of people.

If the whole I idea is that gnostics are so rational compared to others, it might be worth your while to learn how to demonstrate rationality.


Try this.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby FreeSpirit1983 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Greatest I am wrote:Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

Nothing that I know of, other than personal renderings or hear say, has ever been produced or provide to show the existence of a supernatural realm or entities. The ancients did not seem to think the supernatural was a reality. https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

No entity, good or evil, have ever manifested itself in a provable way, even though some think god is Omni-present and that Satan was given the ability and power to deceive us all.

I think that those who believe in supernatural entities are being taken advantage of by fraudulent preachers who recognize our propensity of over imagination, which we all have, as shown in the Princess Alice experiments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx_uVDh4Cw

I can see some benefits in imaginary thinking to validate or refute ideas but that is about it.

Is belief or faith in the supernatural a worthy idea for us or is it a tool used by lying preachers intent on fleecing sheeple?

If there is no supernatural god, should we not seek a human leader or spiritual guide instead of idolizing imaginary supernatural gods that are demonstrably less moral than humans?

Regards
DL


Yes, although not all believers are intelligent, of course.

Religious people live better lives than atheists do. That's proven by the social sciences.

Being religious means a better life in this world (happier, live longer, less depression, less suicide, more giving) and hopefully a much better life in the next.
"I must be a Saint. The greatest possible."

-St. Maximilian Kolbe
User avatar
FreeSpirit1983
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 am

Greatest I am wrote:Try this.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Regards
DL
And the mind that refuses to discuss ideas that point out flaws in its ideas would then be no mind at all. Not to mention how much you discuss people and insultingly.

And since you like to appeal to authority, try this.....
“He who loses money, loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more; He who loses faith, loses all.”

-Eleanor Roosevelt

From the mouth of your authority, and much as there are many things I admire about her, she is not my authority.

Care to discuss your other authority Origen and his supernatural ideas?
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:27 pm

FreeSpirit1983 wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

Nothing that I know of, other than personal renderings or hear say, has ever been produced or provide to show the existence of a supernatural realm or entities. The ancients did not seem to think the supernatural was a reality. https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

No entity, good or evil, have ever manifested itself in a provable way, even though some think god is Omni-present and that Satan was given the ability and power to deceive us all.

I think that those who believe in supernatural entities are being taken advantage of by fraudulent preachers who recognize our propensity of over imagination, which we all have, as shown in the Princess Alice experiments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx_uVDh4Cw

I can see some benefits in imaginary thinking to validate or refute ideas but that is about it.

Is belief or faith in the supernatural a worthy idea for us or is it a tool used by lying preachers intent on fleecing sheeple?

If there is no supernatural god, should we not seek a human leader or spiritual guide instead of idolizing imaginary supernatural gods that are demonstrably less moral than humans?

Regards
DL


Yes, although not all believers are intelligent, of course.

Religious people live better lives than atheists do. That's proven by the social sciences.

Being religious means a better life in this world (happier, live longer, less depression, less suicide, more giving) and hopefully a much better life in the next.


Better is a subjective thing.

Sure the religious live a bit longer and happier lives, but to a thinker, as compared to a sheeple, cannot see being a sheeple as better than a thinker.

The small difference is not enough to make an atheist put his mind in intellectual and especially moral dissonance.

We value our minds and truth more than theists. By we I mean thinkers, not atheists. Not being an atheist, I cannot speak for them.

At present, atheists are beginning the trend of providing what were known as mystery schools. Some are calling them atheist churches. That trend will give them the longer and happier lives without them having to insult their intellect and morals.

They know how utterly stupid and brain killing idol worship of a genocidal son murdering god can be. They have seen what it does to Christians and Muslims.

They are not interested in growing atheism with inquisitions and jihads.
That is why countries with less religiosity are more peaceful and law abiding.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Next

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]